Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What is it then? It looks exactly like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't think it looks anything like it :shrug: The stubby wings are the only bit in common to me, otherwise it's a different shape, different cockpit location, and different engines.

Maybe the designer used the old one as a starting point before clearly using that Porsche 917 as the primary design inspiration, but I don't think they're meant to be the same ship.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Looks like an artist's interpretation and reimagining of an old model to me. I would be shocked if it's not name dropped given the way Rebels brought things back into canon from TIE fighter.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

drunkill posted:

nope, its a porsche

I guess I meant the yellowish orange one beneath the Porsche.

https://imgur.com/a/BdeFDVA

I'm super bad at posting images. Probably just posting in general.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 18, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

90% of ship designs and such are just gonna be entirely new, regardless of whether or not they were inspired by old stuff. That's just how these shows work, particularly if those vehicles are used by the main characters.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hakkesshu posted:

90% of ship designs and such are just gonna be entirely new, regardless of whether or not they were inspired by old stuff. That's just how these shows work, particularly if those vehicles are used by the main characters.

Uh, that’s not what happened in Rebels at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zoran posted:

Uh, that’s not what happened in Rebels at all.

Outside of the episodes dedicated to specific ships, it absolutely was. Like the Ghost for instance.

Rebels was maybe a bit different since a lot of the ships were based on old toys or McQuarrie concept art, but even so a lot of the ships and aliens on that show were entirely new.

Considering this show is set post episode 6 I definitely expect the EU stuff to be toned even further down.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 18, 2018

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

tsob posted:

Not to be a pedant, but you almost certainly mean Macross-inspired, since almost everything widely known or well liked about Robotech is from the Macross third of the sage, while the other two shows (Southern Cross and Mospeada) are almost forgotten and Macek's original elements are barely mentioned in most places. They're not things that are visually perceptible in general either. Not that I can see much of a Macross element in it personally, beyond vague "aliens and spaceships" thing that is generic to most science opera stories.

I like mospeada.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Outside of the episodes dedicated to specific ships, it absolutely was. Like the Ghost for instance.

Rebels was maybe a bit different since a lot of the ships were based on old toys or McQuarrie concept art, but even so a lot of the ships and aliens on that show were entirely new.

Considering this show is set post episode 6 I definitely expect the EU stuff to be toned even further down.

Rebels was about 50/50. The Interdictors, B-Wings and Defenders were all 100% based on, and basically unchanged from existing pre-Disney designs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aside from Ghost, Phantom, Shadow Caster, and the Fang Fighter, I can't think of any wholly new ships that appeared in Rebels, everything else either appeared in Clone Wars, the movies, or got lifted out of the EU.

vv Yeah I guess the Inquisitor's TIE counts too

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 18, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Tie advanced prototype too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tie advanced prototype too.

Watching the A-Wings go out to engage Vader in his prototype was sad. I knew they were all going to die.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Watching the A-Wings go out to engage Vader in his prototype was sad. I knew they were all going to die.

Just like those poor bastards on board the Profundity in Rogue One. Every single one of them was doomed, they just hadn't realized it yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
RIP Callie hot shot A-wing pilot who died after being on screen for a minute in TLJ.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

RIP Callie hot shot A-wing pilot who died after being on screen for a minute in TLJ.

^Tallie

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Who is Tallie? I've never heard that name before

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

Who is Tallie? I've never heard that name before

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tallissan_Lintra

A-Wing pilot from the opening scene of TLJ, also is a playable Hero Starfighter in Battlefront II

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mllaneza posted:

A- wings have always been my favorites after playing X- Wing for about a billion hours back in the summer when I was like 12. I liked seeing them in Rebels, but they never seemed fast enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jivjov posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tallissan_Lintra

A-Wing pilot from the opening scene of TLJ, also is a playable Hero Starfighter in Battlefront II

I don't even remember her being on screen. Then again, there wasn't a lot worth remembering about that dumpster fire.

I don't own Battlefront 2 either. Without that I guess she's as important as the 'named in the EU' pilot sitting next to Wedge at the Endor briefing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

I don't even remember her being on screen. Then again, there wasn't a lot worth remembering about that dumpster fire.

I don't own Battlefront 2 either.

You see her in the opening battle, and then she's in the cockpit of her A-Wing when the hangar bay gets blown up a little later. She only has a couple lines though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Darth_Hardy/status/1031053502523424768?s=20

Likely means we’re getting post-TLJ content not long into the show’s run

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The tech gives me a real homeworld / Peter elson / Chris foss vibe

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 19, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShineDog posted:

The tech gives me a ral homeworld / Peter elson / Chris foss vibe

now i just got a boner imagining if chris foss or peter elson or other similar styled illustrators had worked on the original trilogy

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

IRQ posted:

A- wings have always been my favorites after playing X- Wing for about a billion hours back in the summer when I was like 12. I liked seeing them in Rebels, but they never seemed fast enough.

Man A-Wings really got the shaft in Nucanon. Goes from Ace Interceptor so fast it goes to plaid to Redshirt who only exists to suck and die.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/Darth_Hardy/status/1031053502523424768?s=20

Likely means we’re getting post-TLJ content not long into the show’s run

This really surprises me. I wouldn’t have thought the show would go post-7/8 until after long after the release of episode 9, simply due to the extreme lead time on producing animation. I guess that could still be the case.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

galagazombie posted:

Man A-Wings really got the shaft in Nucanon. Goes from Ace Interceptor so fast it goes to plaid to Redshirt who only exists to suck and die.

Same thing happened in RoTJ, just that the Redshirt got punked so hard he took a Super Star Destroyer with him.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Been rewatching Season 1 & 2 of Rebels lately and they still hold up pretty good

There's a lot of exaggerated head and hand movements, which makes Darth Vader's scenes unintentionally funny when he starts gesticulating

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously there's less money put into Rebels than there was for Clone Wars and I lowered my expectations accordingly - and to be clear, for the most part the animation on Rebels is perfectly good - but Ezra always, always distracted me because he looked like Lego.

That said, I think he looks better once he gets his haircut. :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hera's lekku also had weird jigglebones at times, since in some scenes they'd droop as soon they leave her headwear, yet in other scenes, they stick out a good couple of inches and then the jiggling would set in

Ezra's weird goopy hair should've been trimmed far sooner

Also found it weird that Sabine never bothered to fix/paint Kanan's pauldron after Vader took a swing at it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Vinylshadow posted:

Hera's lekku also had weird jigglebones at times, since in some scenes they'd droop as soon they leave her headwear, yet in other scenes, they stick out a good couple of inches and then the jiggling would set in

Ezra's weird goopy hair should've been trimmed far sooner

Also found it weird that Sabine never bothered to fix/paint Kanan's pauldron after Vader took a swing at it

Also seems weird that there's not a remedy for blindness (medical or prosthetic) in the Star Wars universe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You can’t be a Zatoichi analogue if you aren’t blind :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

General Dog posted:

Also seems weird that there's not a remedy for blindness (medical or prosthetic) in the Star Wars universe.

He had the Force, why would he need cybereyes?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Colonial Air Force posted:

He had the Force, why would he need cybereyes?

To see some titties

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Considering he knocked up hera nah he didn't

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Everyone behind the scenes probably thought it looked cool and served as a good bookend/reminder of the epic encounter that Kanan and Ezra were lucky to have survived.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ok this is loving amazing

quote:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And the ship with the dishes made a little cameo in the Empire recruitment vid that Han watches in the Solo movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drunkill posted:

nope, its a porsche

god this is some lazy uninspired poo poo. Literally nothing about either of those are interesting in any way. its like they lifted them from EVE online or some other generic sci fi property. Honestly starwars should have just stopped when they ran out of the last mcquarrie designs

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

god this is some lazy uninspired poo poo. Literally nothing about either of those are interesting in any way. its like they lifted them from EVE online or some other generic sci fi property. Honestly starwars should have just stopped when they ran out of the last mcquarrie designs

You're high, that racecar one looks starwars as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kanine posted:

ok this is loving amazing

That's some 70s rear end space ship designs, love it.

• Locked thread