Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'm a little behind on Castle Rock, but drat does episode 5 really put the show in proper gear. I love how it seems to be setting up the King standard of this entire town is going to loving implode in the third act, what with the approaching fires and everything. I hope they have the balls to go as far as he does when he gets in that mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Junkie Disease posted:

Manhattan Baby -italian garbage
That said it's fun

The Seventh Curse - director of Riki oh teams with like twenty years old Chow young fat it's pure gold
Both on prime

The Seventh Curse is a Wisely movie which inspired a friend of mine to say, "Yeah..they're right. The movie isn't over until a witch explodes."

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Fart City posted:

I'm a little behind on Castle Rock, but drat does episode 5 really put the show in proper gear. I love how it seems to be setting up the King standard of this entire town is going to loving implode in the third act, what with the approaching fires and everything. I hope they have the balls to go as far as he does when he gets in that mood.

I just started it and man it moves at a slow pace. I still like it but come on y'all explain something at least.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Field Mousepad posted:

I just started it and man it moves at a slow pace. I still like it but come on y'all explain something at least.

It does start slow, but ep 5 seems to be where things are finally shifting into place. The writing and directing is consistently good, but the pacing on the first couple of episodes is pretty stop-start (arguably like a good amount of King’s writing itself).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah I've watched everything except the newest episode and I'm finding it good, but it's so goddamn slow it's hard to muster up the will to watch it. I feel like it would have been better as a miniseries or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like it would have been better as a miniseries or something.

streamingshows.txt

Seriously stop padding out every show! Look at Patriot (no seriously everyone go watch that). 10 perfect episodes and not a millisecond of wasted time, plotted out like a 10 hour film. That's how you do it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

streamingshows.txt

Seriously stop padding out every show!

To me this is becoming a huge problem with television. We went through a golden age of television in the last decade, but it's like writers and showrunners are getting lazy. Rather than write 10 hours of tightly plotted, intriguing content, instead write one hour of that and spread it over 10 hours.

Look at how far Westworld fell from one season to the next. The first was an amazing bit of television, the second was a snoozefest at best. Even the latest season of Better Call Saul is putting me to sleep. Everything is long shots of staring into the middle distance, characters taking 3 minutes to get 15 seconds of dialogue out, talking in hushed tones with faux gravitas.

Actually, that right there seems to the issue with some many shows now; Faux Gravitas. They think every word, every syllable, every knowing glance must be oozing with gravitas, but's it's all so much fluff with about as much actual gravitas as a bowl of rice krispies.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Magic for Humans on Netflix was fun.

The cynic in me says some of it was staged as gently caress, but I know Justin is a good magician, and they say that it's all on the level as far as magic tricks go.

The kid in me enjoyed the hell out of it. Especially the Invisible Man bit. That was brilliant.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Junkie Disease posted:

The Seventh Curse - director of Riki oh teams with like twenty years old Chow young fat it's pure gold

Hard Boiled meets Temple of Doom and Big Trouble in Little China, but with more gore and nudity, and far more dumb and sincere.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tweet my meat posted:

Disenchantment was solid. Not great, but solid.

It was definitely watchable, but I think solid is a bit strong. The humor was very inconsistent, and Elfo, the character that looks just like Bart, and is even dressed just like Bart, has a pretty lame catchphrase that he says at least once per episode. I didn't care for the voice work from Eric Andre or Nat Faxon.

There were some funny moments though, and I like that there is an overarching plot, and it's not serialized with a new plot of the week like with The Simpsons and Futurama. I think they got a little bit better about world building as the season went on, but they still need to step up their game and take some deeper dives exploring fantasy tropes.

Million Pound Menu is a new Netflix show, that is like a cross between Top Chef's Restaurant Wars (without the competition) and Shark Tank, with the charm of British reality television. Easy to digest, great to have on in the background while you're doing something else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Canned Panda posted:

Magic for Humans on Netflix was fun.

oh poo poo that came out??? gently caress YES.

edit: OK, I'm sure he's not lying about "no camera tricks" but even knowing logically how he did the phone one I still don't see how he did that without doing something off-camera

same with the marshmallow except i don't even know how that one could have possibly been done

e2: okay the wife in the backpack HAD to be editing/camera tricks, that's literally impossible :mad:

precision fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 19, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

precision posted:

edit: OK, I'm sure he's not lying about "no camera tricks" but even knowing logically how he did the phone one I still don't see how he did that without doing something off-camera

same with the marshmallow except i don't even know how that one could have possibly been done

e2: okay the wife in the backpack HAD to be editing/camera tricks, that's literally impossible :mad:

They wouldn't be illusions if they didn't look impossible

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wait, he said there would be no camera tricks, but there may in fact be camera tricks?

You really think a magician would do that? Just go on TV and tell lies?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wait, he said there would be no camera tricks, but there may in fact be camera tricks?

Why, I never....

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The Sinner is on Netflix right now and it's an extremely good murder mystery about an ordinary mom that goes full aggro one day and knifes a guy at the beach because of his synth pop... or is it? Stars Bill Pullman and Jessica Biel. First five episodes are like a really good extended Law & Order procedural, plus extra depravity; second half seems to be heading in more of a True Detective meets Gillian Flynn direction.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Caught RUIN ME on Shudder. A group of people sign up for a fake "slasher weekend"-type reality TV show but... is it realer than you think??!

The first 2/3 are fairly solid, your standard ensemble slasher cast with a worthwhile framing gimmick set up keeping you guessing. Unfortunately, I don't think the payoff lives up to the premise. It's fine, not great, not bad, just a fine little thrill ride trying to play some bigger games.

I just don't think the "twist" works very well, especially given the way the film ends so abruptly. It feels like it's making a mockery of addiction and dissociative disorders in a way that isn't a fun Shutter Island romp but rather just kind of an ignorant stab at a "thinker" horror film. Also, the ultimate antagonist just feels like he went from 0 to 6 billion on the sleaze scale in an unearned way.

So, it deffo didn't stick the landing, but there's worse ways to spend a Saturday night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

The Sinner is on Netflix right now and it's an extremely good murder mystery about an ordinary mom that goes full aggro one day and knifes a guy at the beach because of his synth pop... or is it? Stars Bill Pullman and Jessica Biel. First five episodes are like a really good extended Law & Order procedural, plus extra depravity; second half seems to be heading in more of a True Detective meets Gillian Flynn direction.

I liked the Sinner allright, but calling it extremely good is a pretty big stretch imo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The solution to the increasing flabbyness of television shows is just binge everything. Seriously never watch a show week to week. With the current state of most television dramas you're only going to be upset watching things as they air. Wait till the current season is over always always always.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Insatiable is really legit good once you get past the somewhat weak first 2 episodes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

precision posted:

Insatiable is really legit good once you get past the somewhat weak first 2 episodes.

You're wrong

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

To me this is becoming a huge problem with television. We went through a golden age of television in the last decade, but it's like writers and showrunners are getting lazy. Rather than write 10 hours of tightly plotted, intriguing content, instead write one hour of that and spread it over 10 hours.

Look at how far Westworld fell from one season to the next. The first was an amazing bit of television, the second was a snoozefest at best. Even the latest season of Better Call Saul is putting me to sleep. Everything is long shots of staring into the middle distance, characters taking 3 minutes to get 15 seconds of dialogue out, talking in hushed tones with faux gravitas.

Actually, that right there seems to the issue with some many shows now; Faux Gravitas. They think every word, every syllable, every knowing glance must be oozing with gravitas, but's it's all so much fluff with about as much actual gravitas as a bowl of rice krispies.

This is definitely a thing, even though I haven't had problems with the latest Better Call Saul but on the other hand I could watch Bob Odenkirk for days.

Something I recently watched that was an amazing 10-episode super tight set was The Terror, an AMC show I caught on Amazon Prime. Recently however I found out they renewed it to make it into an anthology series so I'm giving it like 1, tops 2 more good seasons before it collapses into absolute drivel. If you're into horror thrillers though give the first season a shot, it's absolute gold with a great cast.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hra Mormo posted:

Something I recently watched that was an amazing 10-episode super tight set was The Terror, an AMC show I caught on Amazon Prime. Recently however I found out they renewed it to make it into an anthology series so I'm giving it like 1, tops 2 more good seasons before it collapses into absolute drivel. If you're into horror thrillers though give the first season a shot, it's absolute gold with a great cast.

The Terror is incredible and everyone should watch it. Two British ships get frozen in place while trying to discover an Arctic passage into China and there's something on the ice that's stalking them.

It's prestige television about a giant bear demon and I'm extremely excited about a second season.

Edit: Ah, poop. It's not streaming for free.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 20, 2018

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Finally finished Season 2 of The Last Kingdom and drat is this a good show. I couldn't get into Vikings, but I loving love Uhtred of Bebbanburg. I only hope it can stay fresh, the source material's author has a habit of re-using the same plot points over and over, just in slightly different form (looking at you Sharpe)

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

6 eps into disenchantment and i find it unfunny and kind of boring. there are so many talented people involved but it is such a let down.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

6 eps into disenchantment and i find it unfunny and kind of boring. there are so many talented people involved but it is such a let down.

Yeah, I managed to get up to the third episode before I couldn't really be bothered anymore. They have like one or two solid gags per episode tops, the characters aren't particularly interesting, and the story barely even exists.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I managed to get up to the third episode before I couldn't really be bothered anymore. They have like one or two solid gags per episode tops, the characters aren't particularly interesting, and the story barely even exists.

I think it started to improve by episode 4-5, and continued to do so to the end. Still not great.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The voice acting on that show, for some reason, seems completely detached. I'm not sure why, I've never really experienced the sensation before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Elfo was the only good part of Disenchanted until they decided to completely change him from “naive and yearning to discover” to “pining after Bean at all times” around episode 4. At that point I decided I’d rather just rewatch Futurama for billionth time.

I don’t think it’s a total write-off, but I don’t see a point in watching it until the whole season is out. It’s weaker than the Comedy Central era of Futurama.

WarEternal posted:

The voice acting on that show, for some reason, seems completely detached. I'm not sure why, I've never really experienced the sensation before.

I noticed the same thing, and I think it boils down to Eric Andre and Abbi Jacobson being new to voice acting. I love them both, but VA work has a huge learning curve. That’s why celebrity guest spots on animated shows almost always sound flat and boring.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 20, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Disenchantment was at least a bit better than comedy central futurama which I also enjoyed, I enjoyed my time with it and don't feel like I wasted my time watching it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wrong button

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Yo everyone said that this shattered glass is not good to chew on, so I decided I'd also chew on it. I'm on the third mouthful of glass, it's really hurting my mouth, I'm losing a lot of blood, this isn't fun. I guess every so often the taste of blood kinda negates the glass, like once per mouthful. I know there's some good fruit and pastries nearby that are tasty and good for me, but I got all this glass that might eventually taste good. Maybe the sixth mouthful of glass shards will be good? Probably not, but it's sitting right there, and my mouth is empty...*chomp*

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Disenchantment really doesn't start to get good until like the final two episodes. Which, in a world where we're at peak television, can shows continue to afford to take full seasons to find their voice? Maybe the show should have gone through some more rewrites as they evolved the tone of the show.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Yo everyone said that this shattered glass is not good to chew on, so I decided I'd also chew on it. I'm on the third mouthful of glass, it's really hurting my mouth, I'm losing a lot of blood, this isn't fun. I guess every so often the taste of blood kinda negates the glass, like once per mouthful. I know there's some good fruit and pastries nearby that are tasty and good for me, but I got all this glass that might eventually taste good. Maybe the sixth mouthful of glass shards will be good? Probably not, but it's sitting right there, and my mouth is empty...*chomp*

Eh, it's more like Bugles than glass, but I appreciate your case of the vapors nonetheless.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

in a world where we're at peak television, can shows continue to afford to take full seasons to find their voice?

In my opinion, probably not because

Nihonniboku posted:

the show should have gone through some more rewrites as they evolved the tone of the show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Eh, it's more like Bugles than glass, but I appreciate your case of the vapors nonetheless.

I get wanting to watch something to want to form your own opinion, but this is basically watching kids line up to put their hand on the hot stove to see if it will also burn them. Like each of you are describing how your hand is burnt very well, but it's weird when a new kid tries.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Yo everyone said that this shattered glass is not good to chew on, ...Probably not, but it's sitting right there, and my mouth is empty...*chomp*
Yo, this is clever, funny and mostly hits the mark. However, these are people starved for content, for whom “things to have on in the background while I don’t pay attention” has a wishlist. The dopamine rush of discovering twenty-two minutes of marginally watchable television is highly addictive. You only have to beat the diminishing return (tolerance) of rewatching The Office or the Simpsons or Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. This bar gets lower and lower.

“They stepped on the The EnchantmentDisenchantment too much. I'm barely feeling anything.”

“These pills with Saul's face on them aren’t as good as the last ones.”

Edit: Bugles are stepped-on Fritos, and Fritos have no diminishing return.
Content: I've been thinking the same thing about Animals on HBO Now that people are posting about Disenchantment. I miss The Life and Times of Tim...

bort fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 20, 2018

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I get wanting to watch something to want to form your own opinion, but this is basically watching kids line up to put their hand on the hot stove to see if it will also burn them. Like each of you are describing how your hand is burnt very well, but it's weird when a new kid tries.

Nobodies opinion has been so low as to make anyone veer away, especially if they like Groening and/or Oakley, and it's not unusual to have to give a show a few episodes to get going. It's not total poo poo, nor is it painful, but it's deffo Parkay on a saltine. Kinda sad, but not surprising, to have an aging creator who once had their finger on the pulse of (counter)culture and humor make something so painfully mediocre.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

precision posted:

It's an obvious green screen (look at her hair as she stands up) and made me stop watching. I tuned in to see a skilled magician, not to see a mediocre editing team.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Classic misdirection - while everyone's looking for camera tricks he's using computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Piell posted:

It's an obvious green screen (look at her hair as she stands up) and made me stop watching. I tuned in to see a skilled magician, not to see a mediocre editing team.

The "phone in a bottle" was a really lame trick. He throws a phone into a lake and then pulls out a bottle with the phone in it. It might be an okay trick if he didn't just have someone waiting under the water to do the swap.