Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think Pokemon Picross was my post played 3DS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
More Diablo news

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

If only you could be so lucky to find a shrine that will give you one fourth of an upgrade to reduce the tedium of exploring by a small increment so you can climb more barren mountains faster.

The only thing about climbers bandana that I hated was how dopey it looked.

The overall design and layout was perfect. From the starting area, you are maybe 30 min away from finding an item to increase climbing speed. If you just travel along all the roads you find easily accessible shrines by every stable that mark excellent places to explore from as well as re-supply with a few weapons or buy arrows from merchants. Even if you just followed the "main quest" straight through you quickly end up with the stealth set and the high defense set as well as getting the upgrades to the slate that make it worth it.

Also, I assume I'm not the only one who almost always wore the lvl 2 Sheikah set for making it super easily to capture and collect all the bugs and critters in the game world. Getting that 2 hours into the game was also a massive help for anyone who wants to capture and hoard every collectable item you can get in the game overworld.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

b_d posted:

That’s actually the one I got; I couldn’t find a 1 on the eshop. Tutorial made it sound like they only added the two colors in this version, if so 1 might be a little disappointing even if I do find it

1 was an original DS game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

More Diablo news

Linkle got buff

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

If only you could be so lucky to find a shrine that will give you one fourth of an upgrade to reduce the tedium of exploring by a small increment so you can climb more barren mountains faster.

I had someone say BOTW wasn’t barren because it had towns.

Like lol that’s so sad that that is what your forced to use.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

[extreme hollow knight voice] there's a botw thread u kno~

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The climbers bandana is like a nexus of other problems I have with the game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

American McGay posted:

I think Pokemon Picross was my post played 3DS game.

if the nintendo-made 2d picrosses have as much care and framing as 3d round 2 then I don’t know if i’ll ever be able to go back to even a Picross S, let alone something like pic-a-pix. Just kidding I will be consuming these puzzles forever

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

overdesigned posted:

I still have GCU so I'm going to get some stuff physical but yeah going Full Digital is the best way.

Same, I'll probably go digital once my GCU runs out next year since Amazon's prime benefits are dying off too

Since we're on BotW chat, what's the best way to get some quick cash in the early game (i.e. I've just gotten to Hateno Village and upgraded my slate)? I've spent most of my money on arrows and I've been cooking 5 meat items at once to sell the skewers

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

curried lamb of God posted:

Same, I'll probably go digital once my GCU runs out next year since Amazon's prime benefits are dying off too

Since we're on BotW chat, what's the best way to get some quick cash in the early game (i.e. I've just gotten to Hateno Village and upgraded my slate)? I've spent most of my money on arrows and I've been cooking 5 meat items at once to sell the skewers
Sell all your precious stones. They're only useful for upgrading your gear and most of that is gonna be late game stuff.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
new character for Xenoblade Torna

he better be Welsh as gently caress

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Goodbody posted:

new character for Xenoblade Torna

he better be Welsh as gently caress

He's a catman so his name will probably be Gwynffdifchfdfmgbwe and would make a Christian Bale complaining about his lights blush

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

His name is just Milt unfortunately, but yeah he's probably going to be incredibly Welsh and sassy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

b_d posted:

That’s actually the one I got; I couldn’t find a 1 on the eshop. Tutorial made it sound like they only added the two colors in this version, if so 1 might be a little disappointing even if I do find it

I think it's pretty good, I remember liking what they did with finished puzzles better than what Round 2 did.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they should sell ds games digitally on the 3ds eshop. qtiyd

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Supercar Gautier posted:

Probably one of the central issues of BotW is that the answer to "what's here?" is almost always ultimately the same: a shrine is what's there.

More often the answer is "A korok seed"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

b_d posted:

they should sell all Nintendo games ever released digitally on the Switch eshop. qtiyd

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I said come in! posted:

In Breath of the Wild, Link is a useless rear end in a top hat, as is the rest of Hyrule. Like this game does a poor job convincing me to not just let Calamity Ganon have the kingdom. I wish that was an option.

p.s. this game is a lot of fun but Link is a little bitch.

My favorite part of the narrative was definitely that that's what Link's legend had become in botw. Just a loser failure who gets everyone killed.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I had someone say BOTW wasn’t barren because it had towns.

Like lol that’s so sad that that is what your forced to use.
Or, botw is constructed like real world that has spatial logistics between cultures. Folks most really need poo poo popping up every second, I guess. I found the nature of explore, surprised by encampment\guardian\shrine\cyclops to be refreshing compared to the usual waypoint following.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Dark Souls Remastered finally getting a release date has made my horrible day at work less horrible!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

even better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bushisms.txt posted:

My favorite part of the narrative was definitely that that's what Link's legend had become in botw. Just a loser failure who gets everyone killed.
Or, botw is constructed like real world that has spatial logistics between cultures. Folks most really need poo poo popping up every second, I guess. I found the nature of explore, surprised by encampment\guardian\shrine\cyclops to be refreshing compared to the usual waypoint following.

Lol the real world defense, that’s sadder.

I don’t go to Nintendo for realism.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 20, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Or, botw is constructed like real world that has spatial logistics between cultures.

Every culture has Sheikah culture underneath it. The Gerudo have Sheikah shrines and the Gorons have Sheikah shrines and the Zoras have Sheikah shrines and the Rito have Sheikah shrines.

The lack of variety in what you can find in the world isn't just a matter of rewards and pop-ups and endorphin dispensing; it makes the setting feel shallower if you make the same discoveries in every place.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why are the lazy devs putting heart pieces everywhere, geez.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

b_d posted:

1 isn't available on the 3DS shop- it was a regular DS game. It is on the Wii U virtual console though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Fresh hot takes coming in: BotW is good and beautiful and captures the feeling of exploration better than any other game I've played in recent memory.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Fresh hot takes coming in: BotW is good and beautiful and captures the feeling of exploration better than any other game I've played in recent memory.

It does it better than any open world game imo. It nailed the feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere while not feeling barren from a gameplay perspective. I can’t wait to start a second master mode playthrough once I clear out my backlog a bit.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm not super far into Breath of the Wild yet but I'm liking it so far. I kinda bounced off it on WiiU because it was inconvenient to have the WiiU and all its associated poo poo plugged in all the time due to limited space, plus I bought a gaming PC the week after I got it, but it's perfect for Switch where I can pick it up and play it whenever, even if the TV is in use.

It's definitely a different "game loop" than traditional Zeldas. I hope that the next Zelda game is a return to the classic formula or that "open-world nebulously structured Zelda" becomes its own game stream, but it's a fine backdrop for an open world exploration and puzzle game, not unlike Mario is a fine backdrop for a tennis or racing game.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

His name is just Milt unfortunately, but yeah he's probably going to be incredibly Welsh and sassy.

weird to name a character after fish cum

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Breath of the Wild is one of those rare games where, for a while, it feels like anything is possible and you have no idea what to expect. This wears off over time, of course, as the player learns how the game world works and how it’s structured, but that initial wonderment is just about the best feeling I could ever hope for from playing a video game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

It does it better than any open world game imo. It nailed the feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere while not feeling barren from a gameplay perspective. I can’t wait to start a second master mode playthrough once I clear out my backlog a bit.

BOTW suffers from the same problem a lot of open world games were it takes a lot of man hours to make poo poo to find so they just don’t. It’s a problem I can’t see how open world games can really solve unless they have a ridiculous dev cycle.

Oblivion tried to solve this with generated dungeons and stuff but I’m not sure a lot of stuff that repeats is better than unique stuff spread out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Breath of the Wild sucks because I can't download a mod where I turn the horse into a topless Zelda centaur like I can in Stardew Valley.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Weedle posted:

Breath of the Wild is one of those rare games where, for a while, it feels like anything is possible and you have no idea what to expect. This wears off over time, of course, as the player learns how the game world works and how it’s structured, but that initial wonderment is just about the best feeling I could ever hope for from playing a video game.

At the very beginning of my first playthrough, I was sitting in a tree shooting bokoblins with arrows. One of them threw a stone at me and my arrow hit the stone mid-flight and bounced back into the Bokoblin's face. That's the point where I knew I was in for a hell of a game.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

FPzero posted:

At the very beginning of my first playthrough, I was sitting in a tree shooting bokoblins with arrows. One of them threw a stone at me and my arrow hit the stone mid-flight and bounced back into the Bokoblin's face. That's the point where I knew I was in for a hell of a game.

BotW is amazing when it starts, just only if they had varied the dungeon designs/more of them, it'd been the perfect Zelda game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FPzero posted:

As I think about it more, this amazon change is pretty bad for the user because instead of saving money right then that you can ostensibly spend elsewhere, now you're stuck with amazon credit only. Which means you have to spend it on amazon goods, which works out if you're planning to buy more games and stuff from them but really it's just an attempt to get more people to spend more money exclusively on amazon.
Cash is always better, but you can buy eShop gift cards on Amazon (plus many other kinds of gift cards) so it's not particularly hard to transfer that credit back out of Amazon.

Also, I imagine that most people who have Prime buy stuff on Amazon pretty regularly anyways. The two-day shipping is still the real value of Prime. I doubt that many people are using it only for streaming and $1 off blueberries at Whole Foods.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Cash is always better, but you can buy eShop gift cards on Amazon (plus many other kinds of gift cards) so it's not particularly hard to transfer that credit back out of Amazon.

Also, I imagine that most people who have Prime buy stuff on Amazon pretty regularly anyways. The two-day shipping is still the real value of Prime. I doubt that many people are using it only for streaming and $1 off blueberries at Whole Foods.

My birthday is near prime day so my mother-in-law gave me $100 for prime day in an Amazon gift card and.... that took about 20 seconds to turn into an eshop gift card with the code delivered digitally.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TheScott2K posted:

Microsoft, in a fit of stupidity, will put out some godawful portable with really good specs that gets lovely spinoff versions of their major franchises and have no idea why it fails

But enough about the Surface RT. :rimshot:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

why are the lazy devs putting heart pieces everywhere, geez.

Heart pieces making you think how to get them are better than 65% of shrines

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mega64 posted:

Breath of the Wild sucks because I can't download a mod where I turn the horse into a topless Zelda centaur like I can in Stardew Valley.

Yeah, you can. There’s a Wii U emulator and people have made some mods for BOTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

topless zelda centaur is the second most downloaded mod, after replacing link with sponge bob.

• Locked thread