Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Might be a good one, I applied at some the other day but never heard back but I think this is a different one.

Or just Daily Transcription hiding under another post :(, they put different ads up sometimes.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/tfr/d/experienced-entertainment/6665991725.html

Established Entertainment Transcription Company with over 12 years in the business is seeking experienced entertainment transcriptionists. We're undergoing a huge work flow at this time.

This is an independent subcontractor position wherein the transcriptionist works from their home.

We are looking for entertainment transcriptionists for interviews and some dialog (reality footage). We are especially interested in those who are comfortable handling at least three hours per week, and we do type on weekends. Video files for the most part, ranging in length from 30 minutes to 2 hours or more in some cases.

Requirements:

Excellent skills in spelling, grammar and punctuation. Pride in our product is key. Accuracy is a must.

Familiarity with researching the Internet for correct spellings of unknown words or names.

Familiarity with transcribing verbatim, including "ums, ohs, you knows," etc...

Familiarity with the function of time coding the footage every 30 seconds, give or take.

60 wpm is a workable starting point.

Responsible in terms of following guidelines, formatting, and meeting set deadlines.

Must have access to the Internet and transcription software.

Once again, we are only looking for experienced entertainment transcriptionists. Our work load is simply too heavy at this point to train with the basics.

Please contact us with a resume and a sample of your work.

Thank you in advance for your interest.

edit: I don't know how they expect anyone to send a sample of their work, it's all NDA'd.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
That'll probably be DT again just looking at the ad and what they wrote, but the map location is down the street a few miles from DT's building so who knows.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Race Realists posted:

We wouldn't happen to have an Affiliate Marketing Thread would we?

considering making one.

I think that is a great idea.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

That'll probably be DT again just looking at the ad and what they wrote, but the map location is down the street a few miles from DT's building so who knows.

Yeah, they've gotten me like THREE TIMES now with that poo poo.

Also I'm gonna humble brag here. I just got a series of seances from the 60s!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The last two places I applied didn't even both acknowledging my email so I'm guessing they're both DT with stupid different ads or I spelled something wrong in my resume. Thankfully a buncha pick ups from 2 months ago have started trickling in.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Jedi Knight Luigi linked me here, and maybe you all can tell me if copy-editing is worthwhile? Just going to paste the relevant part of my post.

quote:

That looks like a good fit. After all, my friends routinely asked me to edit their essays in college. My roommate would have me review her email, personal statements, appeals, and so on. It was enjoyable to see a rough document become polished and focused. With these experiences in mind, copy-editing seems like something I can do. There's a pretty big hurdle I have to overcome though. I think I suck at it. Given how I did on some self-tests in a Copyediting and Proofreading for Dummies book, or the New York Times Copyediting quizzes (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...-this-quiz.html), I'm shockingly bad at some of this stuff. Theres plenty of grammar guides on the internet, but I was looking for something more.

Are there online manuals to work with, or good resources I can use to get me on the right track? My For Dummies book is an okay resource, but I learn best with worksheets and self-testing. Also, I'm all ears if there's something wrong with this field and i'm working towards a dead end.
I got a new grammar book since this post and it's helping me recognize less noticeable, but still sinister grammar errors in writing. My goal for this is to be an income safety net at worst, or nice supplemental income at best. I wouldn't mind putting a few years into this skill if it opened up in-person job opportunities or higher pay in the future.

e: Also, what kind of articles do people write on Textbroker? This sounds almost like SEO article writing, which a buddy of mine did. But it seems like there's more quality here? I'd like to see some examples of what clients ask for. The whole concept is weird to me: "hey non-automotive middle man, can you write an article on car transmission on our website?"

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 20, 2018

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Copyediting is tricky since there's not necessarily any decent sites to just set up shop and get work. You can try freelance hubs like Upwork and such? It's finicky work since you need to meet whatever criteria the client would want you to meet, which could be any of a bunch of different grammar styles depending on the source, and whatever else. It might be easiest to post up flyers around the local colleges offering services.

As for Textbroker, it's definitely low-quality SEO article work. Check out any lovely business blog and you can get a decent idea. Textbroker also tends to have a lot of other random bits of content like product descriptions or churned-out ebooks. Here's a sample assignment pulled from the pool right now:

quote:

Dear Author,

Please only pick up this order if;
--You can start work on it immediately
--You are a native English speaker and competent writer (I won’t hesitate to reject the writing if there’s numerous spelling and grammar mistakes and/or unnatural sentence structures)
--You agree that I may name myself and/or others as the author of the text you write, including any modifications to or derivative works from such text
-----------------------
Brief:

This content order is for a 500 word landing page about currency conversion and travel money options for people living in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia.

The point of this landing page is to rank in search engines for people searching for things like 'currency conversion Adelaide Hills.' The page needs to include information that is relevant to the topic (80%) but also discuss our solution (20%). We hope that many people will land on the page and consider our solution the best option for getting their currency.

Our solution is an online currency exchange service which allows people to buy all of the major currencies online and then they'll be delivered to their home address within 5 business days. Our USPs are;
-Best rates in the market
-The convenience of being able to buy online and have the currencies delivered rather than trying to get to the physical money changer or bank
-Excellent customer service and security

You'll need to research the other currency exchange options in the location and discuss the pros and cons of each. These could be currency exchange stores, banks etc. If there aren't many options in the actual location then part of the article might be focused on people having to drive to a nearby city of location to get services (or going online to use our service of course).

The Adelaide Hills is a region made up of several towns and suburbs. Feel free to mention relevant towns as relevant as that will help the page to rank for those locations too.

This is the structure I suggest;
-Sentence or two introducing the topic
-Short paragraph introducing our solution
-Information about the other options in the area
-Quick summary including a call to action for our service
--This content is for an Australian audience so please use British English spelling.
--If you don’t understand any of the instructions, please ask for clarification
-----------------------
Audience:

Individuals, couples and families, all ages, in this location who are looking for information about how and where to change currency and get travel money.
Please use British English spelling.
-----------------------
SEO Keywords:

There are no specific guidelines about keywords but please try to use a range of relevant words that people might search on if they were looking for information on this topic.
-----------------------
Tone/Style:

Writing should be conversational and informational.
-----------------------
Structure/formatting:

Please use bullet points, numbered points, sub headings, tables etc. throughout to make the information easy to scan and absorb.
-----------------------
Research:

This article will require research.
Articles/date shouldn't be more than 2 years old.
-----------------------
If you don’t understand any of the instructions, please ask for clarification

All that, for a 500-word post that earns you $7. Some other posts even still have keyword density requirements. The whole place has been steadily going downhill, moving everything to private teams and leaving basically nothing for the open pool, and even then, content mills as a whole are fading out. Nothing says you can't dig in and scrape up what scraps there are, but you're not going to make a ton from it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah I think I'll pass on Textbroker and maybe focus more on copy-editing. I thought about the campus advertising idea, but I felt like I needed more skill before jumping into that. I don't mind if there's an offline component to it, and there's definitively house styles which I've read about that are a *bit* to keep track of.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
All that hassle for $7?

I feel really lucky being part of Writers Domain

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Back when I was actively writing for Textbroker there was one client that had a guidelines document in a GDoc they linked in every assignment. It was like 30 pages of guidelines and style and all this other bullshit for articles that were never more than $14.

Frankly a lot of it is just various excuses they can use to reject whichever ESL worker picks it up and cycle through writers until they get something moderately passable. I wrote a total of 1,000 articles for Textbroker and only had one rejection, which was a lovely little post I wrote when I was feverish and sick and terrified of being broke. Though, I was also pretty picky about the assignments I picked up in the first place.

Looking a bit deeper, even my assumption that they've moved all their work to teams might not entirely be accurate, unless they're private teams I can't even see. Of the thousands of teams, only 8 of them have any work, and all of them combined have like ~30 assignments.

Times like these I am so hilariously grateful for the private client I picked up that pays me regularly, reliably, and orders of magnitude more. Going from ~$500 a month to $1200 a week over the course of like four years has been incredible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e : nevermind

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 29, 2018

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Astro7x posted:

All that hassle for $7?

I feel really lucky being part of Writers Domain

Even Writer's Domain has lost some of its shine. I signed up back when standard articles were $20 a pop and premium articles were $40. A year later, the premium articles went down to $34. Then $23.50. Now you have to write premium onsite blogs that are longer (800 words vs. 600) and have more exacting requirements to get your $40. Standard articles are currently $14.50 and vanish like the wind on most days.

WriterAccess is where it's at, but only if you can bootstrap your way up to 5-star or 6-star status and have a healthy stable of Love List clients.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Mturk has been absolutely worthless for the last month. 2$ an hour at best some days. I only do surveys, so I'm hoping that now that school's starting up again more stuff will come up...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Even Writer's Domain has lost some of its shine. I signed up back when standard articles were $20 a pop and premium articles were $40. A year later, the premium articles went down to $34. Then $23.50. Now you have to write premium onsite blogs that are longer (800 words vs. 600) and have more exacting requirements to get your $40. Standard articles are currently $14.50 and vanish like the wind on most days.

WriterAccess is where it's at, but only if you can bootstrap your way up to 5-star or 6-star status and have a healthy stable of Love List clients.

While the pricing is all true, I will say that the reviews have become A LOT less picky since the $20 for a 400 word standard days. Like, I remember getting pointless revision requests about nitpicky things that would drive me nuts, causing me to spend 45 minutes on a single article so it didn't get sent back or rejected. They also had the cap back then on 80 articles a month, which they lifted.

These days, I can easily write a standard in 15 minutes, cranking out a max of 4 an hour if I am really motivated. Though to be hoenst it's more like 3 an hour at a normal pace. So while the pay has gone down, my earnings have gone up. One month I submitted 230 standard articles for about $3,300. I've found it pointless to write the new On Site Blogs. They are longer, they are more nitpicky about them, require 3 sources... I can honestly crank out two standards in less time than 1 OSB, and make just as much money.

I've heard the similar sentiments said about WriterAccess, but I think I'll ride out Writers Domain until it dies.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I'm looking at getting into transcription work as a way to stay at home with my newborn son. What can I expect to realistically make starting out? I'm going to do a lot of testing this weekend and will hopefully have a few sites to work with.

I have about 4 years of work comp insurance experience so I'm familiar with a lot of medical jargon/formatting. Do you think that would get me a foot in the door for medical transcription?

Also, any recommendations on affordable gear to start with? TIA!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've kept all my invoices, except a few that I've hosed up. The industry has changed a bit since early 2014 but by my third week at DT I was pulling $151, and on week 4 I did $304. Which I can tell you was probably hell because looking at it I recognize the names as being Ink Master lol, but still. If you told DT that you have medical experience they more than likely will give you medical files. I told them that I cooked once upon a time (as in, I made pizzas for Little Caesars a couple times) and for years they've mostly given me food-related shows.

All you need is a program to run the files, a pedal ($40?), and an okay headphone/earbud setup and keyboard you can use for hours without getting tired or in pain. Odds are you have most of the physical poo poo, a pedal can get to you within a couple days, and programs can be used for free. And patience. Lots of that.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 14, 2018

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I've kept all my invoices, except a few that I've hosed up. The industry has changed a bit since early 2014 but by my third week at DT I was pulling $151, and on week 4 I did $304. Which I can tell you was probably hell because looking at it I recognize the names as being Ink Master lol, but still. If you told DT that you have medical experience they more than likely will give you medical files. I told them that I cooked once upon a time (as in, I made pizzas for Little Caesars a couple times) and for years they've mostly given me food-related shows.

All you need is a program to run the files, a pedal ($40?), and an okay headphone/earbud setup and keyboard you can use for hours without getting tired or in pain. Odds are you have most of the physical poo poo, a pedal can get to you within a couple days, and programs can be used for free. And patience. Lots of that.

Sweet thanks! I assume it continued to increase as you got more proficient? I don't want to bail on my office job before I know what I'm getting into.

Ink Master must have been a trip, clearly you've purged it from your memory.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Cash can go up and down, after a while I kept my workload somewhere in the area of earning 200-250 a week. Winter's the hard time since it can get bone dry between December and like February. My best weeks were over $1k but those were either special projects that weren't insanely hard but weren't exactly cakewalks due to length or other factors, or tough projects that were hard and took a lot of time.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

The weird thing is I do as-broadcast work on Ink Master for another client and it's one of the easiest jobs I have. I can't imagine what you guys have to deal with in the raw confessional tapes, though. Some of these people aren't, let's say, the most articulate human beings I've ever encountered. (And thank God I don't have to do verbatim. I've grown to despise verbatim transcription.)

I will definitely stress that you shouldn't bail on your office job yet. Try this out as a spare time/weekend thing to get a feel for it. It's really hard to make full-time money as a transcriptionist starting out; a few hundred a week is easy enough, but it's not all going to be work you really like and it'll ebb and flow, especially around the holidays. To replace a full-time paycheck, you need some experience and multiple clients, preferably across multiple genres (reality vs. academic vs. news, captioning vs. raw transcription, pre- vs. post-, etc.) to avoid slowdowns. But December and January always suck, so just prepare for that.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 14, 2018

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

klapman posted:

Mturk has been absolutely worthless for the last month. 2$ an hour at best some days. I only do surveys, so I'm hoping that now that school's starting up again more stuff will come up...

Probably still better than UHRS. I would under no circumstances recommend UHRS, whether it’s through clickworker or iSoftStone.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't know why Ink Master is so unliked here frankly. It's always been very middle of the road for me. Just gotta keep in mind that "include frames" doesn't necessarily mean "you must be accurate down to the frame for .75/min" because lol gently caress that.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Do you still have to include every sniffle and "significant hand gesture"?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I wonder how painful it is to transcribe for Slavoj Zizek

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Slightly Used Cake posted:

They just want the big stuff. At least that’s what I do and it doesn’t get sent back.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hello everyone,

I’m borderline disabled (have a case pending) and have multiple chronic pain conditions that have made the ability to consistently show up to work basically impossible. This has put me out of the workforce and added a tremendous financial strain, as I need to go to various doctors multiple times a month. To make things worse my other bills, such as car payments and rent, didn’t just magically disappear when I quit my last job.

My skillsets are:
-2d animation degree, past art experience and internships
-About 8 years of 9-5 admin assistant experience
-100 wpm
-Strong grammar and proofreading skills (my mom is an English teacher and drilled it into me at a young age).

Right now, it appears that freelance work from home projects is the best way to go. Should I look into freelance writing or art? My experience with freelance animation projects in college was tons of extra work for little to no pay, to the point where flipping burgers would have been more lucrative. I assume that writing projects take less time, so even if you get screwed by a bad client you don’t get that screwed. Honestly though, I have no idea.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
There's a thread for Self-Published authors in BFC--it's a steep learning curve getting the whole formatting/publishing process down but once you get the hang of it, it can be lucrative and there's no cost. If you want to write specifically for clients I can't recommend Blogmutt enough; I was stuck hard financially earlier this year and they were a godsend. It's $10 or so for ~500 words if the client accepts. I managed ~70% acceptance rate and I'm not a great writer. Sometimes you have to research boring things but a lot of companies just need fluffy stories to post on their blog.

I don't know anything about art, so I can't help you there!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Spokes posted:

There's a thread for Self-Published authors in BFC--it's a steep learning curve getting the whole formatting/publishing process down but once you get the hang of it, it can be lucrative and there's no cost. If you want to write specifically for clients I can't recommend Blogmutt enough; I was stuck hard financially earlier this year and they were a godsend. It's $10 or so for ~500 words if the client accepts. I managed ~70% acceptance rate and I'm not a great writer. Sometimes you have to research boring things but a lot of companies just need fluffy stories to post on their blog.

I don't know anything about art, so I can't help you there!

Sadly, their application process is currently closed. :( They did offer to take my info down. I will definitely keep the site in my daily rotation to see if that page status changes, since there's no money but a lot of time on my hands. Thank you for the recommendation.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You can always throw your hat in the ring for Textbroker and Writer Access and just see what you can scrape up. You probably won't be pulling in $200 a day or anything, but anything's better than nothing.

You can also set up profiles on Upwork, Freelancer.com, and even Fiverr for both art and writing/editing. I don't know how much demand there is for 2D animation on such sites, or if you'd be okay doing the basic "design me a logo" graphics work, though. The more profiles and the more options you have available the better off you'll be.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Is 8 cents per 65 characters decent for transcription? I just got an offer at a local company, but I was expecting a per minute/hour rate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It becomes a very important question whether spaces count as characters.

Years ago I briefly did transcription work at a rate of 80 cents per page, and quit after a few months when I did the math and it worked out to about $8/hour. A page, in that gig, was about 650-700 characters, not including spaces. So 8 cents per 65 characters works out to right about the $8/hour figure I left behind long ago. Closer to $10/hour if spaces count, but I doubt they do.

The market's gotten a lot worse for transcriptionists since then, though, so maybe that's about as good as you can expect to do these days.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Cracked open my most recent transcript, a 28 minute sermon. 4566 words, characters+spaces is 23849, without is 19289. Had maybe 2 or 3 minutes of total white space between intro, outro, and that beep at the start of a TV show that always loving deafens me and goes for a minute.

19289/65 = 296.7538461538462 round up 297*0.08 = $23.76 = 84 cents per minute equivalence
23849/65 = 366.9076923076923 round up 367*0.08 = $29.36 = $1.05ish per minute equivalence

My pay on invoice $25.50 billed at 30 minutes (rounded the time a little bit on my invoice, naughty boy here) for 85 cents a minute.

So it comes out to roughly the same to slightly better than what Syncwords pays me. Where this would screw you is in videos with a lot of blank dead air.

Mind you at this point working in an Amazon warehouse is my main thing and I just pick up transcriptions for a little extra or basically just to fill my time so I don't mind the 85 cents that much.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 9, 2018

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I just found there's going to be a big new gaping hole in my income for the next couple of years, and since I'll still be working my 9-5, transcribing seems like it might help fill that gap. Some of these posts make it sound like this is a bad time to try to enter the market. Should I expect that there won't be work available for a while, and even if there is, how selective is DT with their applicants? I imagine my resume looks good enough on paper, though I don't know what that means in this business.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Resume doesn't really mean anything unless you've got actual transcription experience, but once you've got a year or two of that a lot of doors open. Starting out, it's all based around your ability to type and to pass the transcription test. It's not a really good time to be a newbie transcriptionist, because there's a fair amount of downward pressure on pay rates and AI transcription is becoming a thing. But there's still work to be had, if you can tolerate it, and the specialty stuff probably isn't going away anytime soon.

In the short term, this isn't a great time to enter the market because December and January usually see the pool of available work bottom out, and unless you've got multiple clients across multiple disciplines you're going to be sitting on your hands a bit. Reality TV shows tend to slow down around the holidays, and that's the vast majority of what DT does.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I signed up for a new company, did the test and all. Got sent a whole of 23 minutes of work this week and they didn't even say if they accepted it or not - was kind of expecting some feedback on your first assignment for somebody (who has an ugly stupid looking timecoding process.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The feedback is if they don't complain you're doing fine. Half of these places literally don't actually check the file beyond making sure at the bare minimum that you typed and had the right file.

I would add if you're brand-new and don't know if you wanna do this, winter is the perfect time to get in because there will be so little work that you can get your feet wet without worrying about the next project already waiting for you.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Another question: when DT refers to weekenders being available at all times from Thursday through Saturday, I should probably take it at it's most literal and assume they mean I can work at any hour during those days, not that I would always be available at some point on those days.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

They're demanding what now?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
That's gotta be a new thing 'cause I don't know it. I haven't picked up DT work in some time, not since early spring this year.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

AuntBuck posted:

They're demanding what now?

I don't think it was a requirement, but they said they have more demand for "weekenders" with more or less the above definition. I don't think I can retrieve the exact text right now from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I think they just mean people who can take work on those days. Because saying "you have to work at this time specifically" is one of those litmus tests that can turn a contractor into an employee and trigger a whole lot of requirements for the employer.