Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LingcodKilla posted:

Im still not sure what Mattis sees as long term goal in all this.

Damage Control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Elendil004 posted:

Damage Control

Basically this. Mattis is a smart dude and he clearly knows how to work around Trump.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Im still not sure what Mattis sees as long term goal in all this.

Preservation of the US and NATO.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just picturing Mattis getting a Nobel Peace Prize, although I can also imagine it leading to Trump declaring war on Switzerland as retaliation for the slight.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm just picturing Mattis getting a Nobel Peace Prize, although I can also imagine it leading to Trump declaring war on Switzerland Norway as retaliation for the slight.

FTFY

But, yeah, Mattis is pretty much there to keep things on the rails of not having a near-peer war and just keeping our many many actual and proxy wars at a simmer.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Not surprisingly the chuds I work with think we are this close to Mattis finally getting permission to go gently caress up some poo poo

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Valley Stared posted:

Clearly not. You should have two Bugattis that you can't pay for, one divorced spouse, one current spouse, 4 children with one on the way, and the dregs of your soul crusted to the bottom of your shoes.

THAT'S how you Navy right.

Well poo poo, they didn't cover that at OCS at all, man I've been getting some bad training. First there was the Top Gun volleyball in Pensacola, now this?!? Man maybe I shoudln't hide a squeaky toy in my rear end at SERE like that one guy recommended.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We played beach volleyball for pt last week and I was amused at making people eat sand.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

That was the joke.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

We played beach volleyball for pt last week and I was amused at making people eat sand.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jimmy4400nav posted:

maybe I shoudln't hide a squeaky toy in my rear end at SERE like that one guy recommended.

Honestly sneaking a squeaky toy into SERE sounds like a good prank. Maybe not do the rear end part though.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

M_Gargantua posted:

Honestly sneaking a squeaky toy into SERE sounds like a good prank. Maybe not do the rear end part though.

One of my buddies knew a guy who did the Air Force SERE and snuck a roll a pennies up his rear end so when he got a cavity search he spilled change like a broken piggy bank.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

orange juche posted:

Dear loving lord yes, and the idiots who worship him would line up to spit on said retiree for daring to anger the president.

It’s sad how real this is

Jimmy4400nav posted:

One of my buddies knew a guy who did the Air Force SERE and snuck a roll a pennies up his rear end so when he got a cavity search he spilled change like a broken piggy bank.

This absolutely happened

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 18, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My SEAL buddy, when they went to capture him, killed all the aggressors then broke in to the POW camp and freed all the other students. Definitely happened

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

My SEAL buddy, when they went to capture him, killed all the aggressors then broke in to the POW camp and freed all the other students. Definitely happened

...and then they reset the scenario anyways and dumped him in a buried 55 gallon oil drum half filled with piss for three days

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

A cavity search is the kind of thing AF guys would assume happens at Navy SERE. Or any time you go through an ECP. Or report in to a superior. Or walk in the door. Or out the door. Or say hi to someone. Etc.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

EBB posted:

...and then they reset the scenario anyways and dumped him in a buried 55 gallon oil drum half filled with piss for three days

Oh poo poo were you in his class? He said it was piss and cum, though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

A cavity search is the kind of thing AF guys would assume happens at Navy SERE. Or any time you go through an ECP. Or report in to a superior. Or walk in the door. Or out the door. Or say hi to someone. Etc.

This didn't happen to you in the navy? :aaaaa:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

During MEPS I was all prepared for the doc to go knuckle deep but all did was a cursory rim check.

Things have changed maaaaan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

This didn't happen to you in the navy? :aaaaa:

Not in my contract.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

EBB posted:

And that SEALS name? Albert Einstein!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

:happened:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Except the hazing by throwing a dude in a barrel of piss. That probably happened.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1031017185697849344?s=19

Good drunk history thread by an Army guy

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

RE-ENLISTMENT SELFIE

Never thought I'd see an SRB that big as a Tomahawker.

Good job.

That's the initial pre-tax, with the other 50% being paid out for the rest of your life, right?

'Cuz you can get that as like, a raise, once you're out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

RE-ENLISTMENT SELFIE

Never thought I'd see an SRB that big as a Tomahawker.

drat. Space that out over 4 years, and its 5 dollars an hour, if it's a 40 hour week.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 22, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Has there ever been a documented case of someone sticking around for the bonus, who wasn't going to stay anyway?

Everyone I've ever known that took the money was already planning to stay in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Plus any job that offers good bonus still don’t compare for what a competent civilian equivalent would make in those 4 years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

These are lifers, they aren't fit for high level civiliam employment

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

These are lifers, they aren't fit for high level civiliam employment

I hear stuff like this from guys who got out all the time. But here you guys are hanging around a thread about the US Navy. For guys who did four years or so and supposedly moved onto much better things, you sure don't ever shut the gently caress up about your time in.

My second re enlistment was in the middle of my tour as a usmc recruiter. I hated it so much that I absolutely would have walked away had they not thrown forty some odd grand at me. I used that money to buy a house so it wasn't totally wasted.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm not out and probably a lifer so I am qualified to report on the topic of being an idiot who is in. Thanks for assuming I'm out, that was nice of you.

And congrats on the house. Recruiting sounds like a nightmare

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I just got an email about going active for two years as a recruiter. Considering how awesome my time in the reserves has been so far I’m considering it so I can be bitter like some of you guys.

I just really want to fit in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m active duty and I think I speak for everyone when I say nobody really gives a gently caress if you think anyone hasn’t been in long enough to just talk and bitch about it sometimes.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 22, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If I re-enlist can I still bitch 🤔

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

If I re-enlist can I still bitch 🤔

drat that’s how they get you

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m active duty and I think I speak for everyone when I say nobody really gives a gently caress if you think anyone hasn’t been in long enough to just talk and bitch about it sometimes.

You seem really tense. Wanna talk about it?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

You seem really tense. Wanna talk about it?

But that’s what I’m doing

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

And to be fair to him as much as gatekeeping gives me an aneurysm the original comment about lifers was pretty dumb.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Y'all should probably invest in some britas

quote:

A 2013 investigative report produced by the Navy inspector general, obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, reveals "shortfalls in the oversight and management of drinking water for Navy personnel stationed overseas—even in wealthy, developed countries." The report concludes that "not a single Navy overseas drinking water system meets U.S. compliance standards" or the Navy's own governing standards," according to POGO.

https://psmag.com/environment/what-happened-at-camp-lejeune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well just add that to the long list of environmental hazards I've been exposed to during my time in.