Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

MancXVI posted:

Davethulu: what’s his rate? Is he stationed at an FRC and going to a carrier to work somewhere in AIMD?

He's IT, and currently assigned to Bremerton. I don't know if he's at an FRC. He's currently TAD to the Stennis for 45 days. The prospective assignment will also be the Stennis, which will be relocating to the east coast during that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wait navy ground combat treated like adults? Do you mean marines, seabees, or SEAL/EOD? Cause i don’t think you have a good idea what goes on in the navy’s army if you think marines are treated like adults, and you definitely haven’t been reading any of our local seabee posts if you think that about the bees.

I'm specifically talking about SEAL/SWCC/EOD.

And still I'd rather be with seebees than the army.

And holy poo poo I saw that naked XO story in the news. Fine Navy leadership right there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
When we got to the Philippines the roads were washed out due to rain and we were stuck in the town next to Subic. Called olengapo. There was two hotels and everyone with a dime to their name chose the same one as the officers. Since on that first day we physically could not leave the town...

Also for example the hotel pool was flooded with somewhat muddy rainwater. In the actual rivers there were dead pigs etc. The hotel pool had risen to the point where it was a continuation of the part that had flooded the first floor rooms. This also meant that the water was about an inch below the deck the hotel bar sat on.

Needless to say as this was the first night off after an actually taxing ~60 day mission everyone got a little crazy. Certain people buying their juniors shots. Other certain people feeding shots to those they would be breathalyzing in the morning, and as much as I recall three officers joining in the skinny dipping that the XO no balls’d

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Subic Bay was the Wild West f’real

We didn’t get overnight but poo poo was wild. The mob of folks, myself included, sprinting back to ship trying to make the cutoff and women taking off their heels/sandals and poo poo to run was hilarious

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Davethulhu posted:

He's IT, and currently assigned to Bremerton. I don't know if he's at an FRC. He's currently TAD to the Stennis for 45 days. The prospective assignment will also be the Stennis, which will be relocating to the east coast during that time.

Oh Bremerton? If he cant make it home for Thanksgiving or Christmas he's welcome to have dinner with me and my family.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Davethulhu posted:

Husband was an IT and did a few deployments. He works odd hours and just went to bed, but I sent him a text to PM you when he wakes up. His brother is also an IT (still active duty) and last year was on shore duty out of Norfolk, wasn't assigned to a ship but went on deployment on one. There probably isn't a way out of it, but between the two of them they can at least give you a good idea of what will be expected of him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I'm specifically talking about SEAL/SWCC/EOD.

And holy poo poo I saw that naked XO story in the news. Fine Navy leadership right there.

SWCC is by definition not ground combat, and navy EoD is more diver-bomb tech than land bomb tech (current forever war implementation not withstanding).

You can’t compare how any special ops group works compared to the regular forces in any branch. Also SEALs are wild jackasses that usually cause more trouble than they solve.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Nick Soapdish posted:

Tell that to the Imagery dude that got sent cranking. I still feel bad that those ONI and Fallon Get guys got hosed since they checked into the ship and not the PHIBRON. Too bad I was the senior enlisted for N2 as a IS1 and the ship had a Senior Chief.

It has been explained to NGA that going forward they should never let “their” sailors leave the building with orders to anything other than staff. As far as the FIDs go, I think NAVIFOR has kind of set the edge so ships know not to mess with those teams as much anymore. I do know of the occasional sailor that has been offered as sacrifice to crank since they were deemed useless by their teammates.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

SWCC is by definition not ground combat, and navy EoD is more diver-bomb tech than land bomb tech (current forever war implementation not withstanding).

You can’t compare how any special ops group works compared to the regular forces in any branch. Also SEALs are wild jackasses that usually cause more trouble than they solve.

You’re right. Point I’m making though generally as you go bigger and more “line” commands get worse.

The Army ships are apparently great though from everything I’ve heard though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Othin posted:

It has been explained to NGA that going forward they should never let “their” sailors leave the building with orders to anything other than staff. As far as the FIDs go, I think NAVIFOR has kind of set the edge so ships know not to mess with those teams as much anymore. I do know of the occasional sailor that has been offered as sacrifice to crank since they were deemed useless by their teammates.

My story is from a few moons ago so, good on leadership to listen to the Sailors coming back and make a positive change.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I've been trying to leave for the Army for 20 months, I know Seabee stupid has nothing on Army stupid, but holy poo poo I do not share that sentiment. Thankfully we need a bigly MAGA Navy so I'm babysitting fat kids and firing machine guns in the dark at targets I can't see

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

I've been trying to leave for the Army for 20 months, I know Seabee stupid has nothing on Army stupid, but holy poo poo I do not share that sentiment. Thankfully we need a bigly MAGA Navy so I'm babysitting fat kids and firing machine guns in the dark at targets I can't see

Are you at least trying to go blue to gold and get commissioned?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

No, it's the murdered by a SEAL in Africa career path

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

No, it's the murdered by a SEAL in Africa career path

The pick up heavy stuff and walk a lot career path?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I might even get to work with a pedophile police chief deemed vital to US policy goals in the AO, too :)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So ADM McRaven just published an article daring trump to revoke his clearance.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

So ADM McRaven just published an article daring trump to revoke his clearance.

Isnt he retired? Seems like a safe move to make if you have no intention to go back to work.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

Isnt he retired? Seems like a safe move to make if you have no intention to go back to work.

True. That’s the last person I expected to ever made a political statement though.

Can’t really say I blame him though when people are trying to politicize the security process.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Retirees are still subject to the UCMJ to a degree. You can be brought back for charges or have your retiree status (and pension) revoked. Definitely safer than doing it while ON active duty, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some retaliation from this administration.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

For what

Godholio posted:

Retirees are still subject to the UCMJ to a degree. You can be brought back for charges or have your retiree status (and pension) revoked. Definitely safer than doing it while ON active duty, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some retaliation from this administration.

What charges would this fall under?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

For what

What charges would this fall under?

42069smdftb

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
96 because you technically didn’t do anything wrong but gently caress you.

e: Oops 92

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Art 88 contempt towards officials.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
RE-ENLISTMENT SELFIE

Never thought I'd see an SRB that big as a Tomahawker.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

RE-ENLISTMENT SELFIE

Dude, you can get a sick mustang and a stripper wife with that kind of money!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bengy81 posted:

Dude, you can get a sick mustang and a stripper wife with that kind of money!

No, we're classy here in GIP, buy that $60k (used) Audi and make sure to park it outside for the next four years.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
More like finish paying off my 2013 Civic and roll that monthly payment into my (unemployed) wife's student loans!

:smuggo:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Lies. There are no responsible sailors.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

RE-ENLISTMENT SELFIE

Is Greg Proops your father? Tell him I'm a fan

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Godholio posted:

I don't think it works that way, unless it's something that you did while you were active/active reserve or directly involves the military. Retired folks are completely free based upon my understanding to make any political statements they want. I can't imagine that someone could be successfully prosecuted for article 88 or anything like that while retired and only representing themselves. I'm barely know much about law beyond criminal law and common law specific to one state but that seems like a case where every constitutional lawyer would cream themselves for.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

M_Gargantua posted:

No, we're classy here in GIP, buy that $60k (used) Audi and make sure to park it outside for the next four years.

I really like Audi's whole ascetic and they have pretty decent performance but I also would like a car I could drive daily rather than to the shop weekly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I don't think it works that way, unless it's something that you did while you were active/active reserve or directly involves the military. Retired folks are completely free based upon my understanding to make any political statements they want. I can't imagine that someone could be successfully prosecuted for article 88 or anything like that while retired and only representing themselves. I'm barely know much about law beyond criminal law and common law specific to one state but that seems like a case where every constitutional lawyer would cream themselves for.

It’s in your retirement paperwork, it’s in every service’s regs, and it’s in a couple of DODIs. Military retirement is a change in duty status, not a cord-cutting, and you’re on the hook for offenses committed previously on AD or while retired. Affirmed in US v Dinger last year.

It doesn’t happen often, but can and sometimes does.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

M_Gargantua posted:

Lies. There are no responsible sailors.

poo poo, should I be blowing my flight pay on a Bugatti instead of maxing out my TSP? Did I not Navy right?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

poo poo, should I be blowing my flight pay on a Bugatti instead of maxing out my TSP? Did I not Navy right?

Clearly not. You should have two Bugattis that you can't pay for, one divorced spouse, one current spouse, 4 children with one on the way, and the dregs of your soul crusted to the bottom of your shoes.

THAT'S how you Navy right.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

It’s in your retirement paperwork, it’s in every service’s regs, and it’s in a couple of DODIs. Military retirement is a change in duty status, not a cord-cutting, and you’re on the hook for offenses committed previously on AD or while retired. Affirmed in US v Dinger last year.

It doesn’t happen often, but can and sometimes does.

Do you really think the current administration would gently caress over a retiree out of spite?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So here's an article I found by a pretty decent blog that covers this stuff, talking about the Generals who endorsed Trump in 2016.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/law-retired-military-officers-and-political-endorsements-primer

So according to them there's only been one case where a retired military officer was prosecuted for art 88 and was acquitted. So most likely, nothing any retired flag officer has done, pro or anti Trump, qualifies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do you really think the current administration would gently caress over a retiree out of spite?

Lol?

Yes?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dear loving lord yes, and the idiots who worship him would line up to spit on said retiree for daring to anger the president.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In a hot second, except for the fact that Trump is scared shitless of Mattis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ZekeNY posted:

In a hot second, except for the fact that Trump is scared shitless of Mattis

Im still not sure what Mattis sees as long term goal in all this.