Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Googling Liam Sharp Hulk and why do so many artists draw artistic nudes of Storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Googling Liam Sharp Hulk and why do so many artists draw artistic nudes of Storm

The same answer for any artist: Commission.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

The same answer for any artist: Commission.

How much money can Claremont possibly have?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

How much money can Claremont possibly have?

Are all the artistic nudes of her taking showers in hallways?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

That's why most people learn to draw.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That's why most people learn to draw.

This but normally Psylocke.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've always been curious about the birth of some of weird stylistic tics that were omnipresent during certain eras of comics. Like, I associate those grotesque wormy veins with Sharp, but they were all over the place in the 90s, and they had to start somewhere, and I pray to god that that somewhere wasn't a life study. Similarly, I don't want to suggest an arbitrary degree zero, but it feels like from the advent of the Image guys on, nobody could yell in a comic without these thick goopy strands of saliva dripping from their teeth-- I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, it was a huge post-Liefeld thing that was really absurdly pronounced in the mid-90s Marvel house-style circa Onslaught.

I feel pretty safe saying that that and the Liam Sharp muscles were more overused in derivative, journeyman artists than big names and innovators, so I'm assuming that they lifted this from somewhere, thought it looked cool, and just strayed further and further from the source, in the way that Venom's teeth and Spider-Man's spaghetti-webbing spiraled out from McFarlane's stylized take in the hands of less skilled pencilers. I thought maybe the hyper-veiny muscles were a bad Sam Keith pastiche but looking back his musculature wasn't really as finnicky as I'd remembered. It gets extremely lumpy in a very stylized way, but he's still playing with big clean blocks of form, without the like, tree-trunk veins you get with Sharp. Ditto poking around a little I don't actually see that gluey spit in 80s Jim Lee or Liefeld very much-- Liefeld does do some gross renderings of spit, especially when he deigns to draw the Blob, but its more like weird little flecks in his mouth than the specific shorthand I'm thinking of. All of this stuff had to come from somewhere, and it was not apparently, the usual suspects when running down the origins of 90s stylistic excess.

(a third thing I lump in with the above two is drawing people with all-white, pupilless eyes, but I'm pretty sure that was primarily a While Portacio trademark initially-- it's really pronounced in his X-Factor and UXM)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So these days everyone just expects superheroes to never stay dead, but I was wondering: who was the first superhero to come back from the dead? Naturally, Jean Grey comes to mind, but I'm sure she wasn't the first ever.

And follow-up question: Has Batman ever died? The closest I can think of is Final Crisis, but it showed he was actually thrown back in time before they could even pretend he was Dead For Real.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

So these days everyone just expects superheroes to never stay dead, but I was wondering: who was the first superhero to come back from the dead? Naturally, Jean Grey comes to mind, but I'm sure she wasn't the first ever.

Sherlock Holmes?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman and Joker fought each other to the "death" in Batman: Endgame. I suppose they were both technically dead before restorative juice or whatever seeped into their wounds and Bruce ended up with amnesia, prompting that period where Jim Gordon was Batman.

edit: Yup. It was mentioned a few issues later that he was clinically dead for 'hours'.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 21, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman and Joker fought each other to the "death" in Batman: Endgame. I suppose they were both technically dead before restorative juice or whatever seeped into their wounds and Bruce ended up with amnesia, prompting that period where Jim Gordon was Batman.

That was like 3 years ago. He asked who was the first.

I believe it was Lightning Lad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was just replying to the Batman question.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TwoPair posted:

Do you mean resurrected in-story or retconned back? Or either?

Earliest I can think of was Professor X being retconned back to life in the pre-Claremont days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Do you mean resurrected in-story or retconned back? Or either?

Earliest I can think of was Professor X being retconned back to life in the pre-Claremont days.

Death of Lightning Lad was in 1963. He comes back to life in 1964. I'm pretty certain this is the first instance of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I suppose if you want to get pedantic The Spirit comes back to life in his very first comic in 1940. I mean, if you consider The Spirit a superhero, which I guess I do? I don't know if I'd count The Specter, who debuted the same year-- can he really be said to have, like, come back?

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 21, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like it doesn't count if dying and coming back is part of your origin/whole deal as a hero. When people talk about the trend of heroes coming back from the dead, they're really talking about editorially mandated resurrections and/or storylines that are like, "in this comic...a hero FALLS!".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

I feel like it doesn't count if dying and coming back is part of your origin/whole deal as a hero. When people talk about the trend of heroes coming back from the dead, they're really talking about editorially mandated resurrections and/or storylines that are like, "in this comic...a hero FALLS!".

The defintion of a "death" the way it's being discussed here should include at the very least an entire issue between the death and return.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Does Wonder Man coming back from the dead in the 70's count?

Jim Starlin made that point a plot bear in Infinity Abyss. That him coming back from the dead screwed up the Marvel Universe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Lightning Lad is definitely the first to come back...

OR WAS HE?!

(If you get that, I'm sorry.)

The thing is that pre-1970's, "This issue, a hero dies!" was super rare. Golden age books outside of a few really interesting exceptions didn't have heavy continuity. On top of that you really need a team book to sell this concept initially; they couldn't have Jay Garrick shot dead in one issue and the next issue Barry Allen shows up since the idea of replacing characters was so foreign at the time. A team book allowed one character to die and the book to carry on without them. The golden age team books were collections characters from other books so again, no real opportunity to do this.

So in terms of superheroes, Lightning Lad is the first dramatic death. And then Adventure Comics has stories about the impact of his death. And then he's revived (or not).

Professor X is another good example of pattern since again he was part of a team and they could continue the book without him and tell stories about the characters dealing with him being gone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Random Stranger posted:

Professor X is another good example of pattern since again he was part of a team and they could continue the book without him and tell stories about the characters dealing with him being gone.

Or Professor X's whole team seemingly dying and him continuing with a bunch of giant-size replacements.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

Or Professor X's whole team seemingly dying and him continuing with a bunch of giant-size replacements.

That happened in a single issue so it's not a real "This character is dead and is never coming back" story.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Random Stranger posted:

That happened in a single issue so it's not a real "This character is dead and is never coming back" story.

They rescued them right away? I never read it and assumed the new team had their own time to shine for a little bit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Death of Lightning Lad was in 1963. He comes back to life in 1964. I'm pretty certain this is the first instance of it.

Wasn't that actually Proty? :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

They rescued them right away? I never read it and assumed the new team had their own time to shine for a little bit.
No, X-Men was on hiatus until Giant-Sized X-Men #1, the entire plot of which was assembling a new team to go rescue the original team. After that, most of the original X-Men go off and do their own things for a bit, but there wasn't actually a story of the X-Men heading to Krakoa until decades later when Brubaker (I think?) wrote it and created a second team in between the originals and the Giant-Sized team that died trying to save the originals.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lobok posted:

Giant-Size X-Men #1 is quite a journey, so yeah, the issue has the new team get together, find out where the old team is, rescue them, and then wonder what to do with a team of 13 people, all in 68 pretty dense pages. You're sort of right in that most of the old members almost immediately quit, so the early stretch of the relaunch is very much a spotlight for the new characters.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

No, X-Men was on hiatus until Giant-Sized X-Men #1, the entire plot of which was assembling a new team to go rescue the original team.

But it wasn't like they mysteriously vanished after X-Men #60 and then didn't reappear until Giant Sized X-Men. The characters appeared regularly in other books at the time, Beast had his solo adventures where he became furry, and so on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

Yeah that's more what I meant. Like nowadays when someone comes back from the dead no one's amazed (half the time the characters in-story don't take it seriously), because we've all been conditioned to just know no one stays dead in comics except for Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben. But when was the first time that someone came back and it actually blew people's minds the way someone rising from the grave should blow minds?

And I guess the answer is Lightning Lad, judging from thread replies.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

TwoPair posted:

And I guess the answer is Lightning Lad, judging from thread replies.

If you want to split hairs, the last panel of the Lightning Lad story is a caption teasing that he might come back to life in a future story, so maybe the real answer is Professor X, who was intended to be killed off for good as part of a status quo change for the X-Men? I'm a little surprised there wasn't a Golden Age sidekick that got killed off and brought back before that. IIRC, the first superhero to be killed off for dramatic purposes was The Comet way back in 1941. (He stayed dead and his brother took over for him as The Hangman.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Are the Waynes the longest consecutively dead characters in still published comic book history? As far as I know they have never come back to life (outside of a dream/alternate reality/elseworld etc) and Batman comics are still being published.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

Are the Waynes the longest consecutively dead characters in still published comic book history? As far as I know they have never come back to life (outside of a dream/alternate reality/elseworld etc) and Batman comics are still being published.

You can't really call it consecutive with all the universe resets DC's done.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did Rebirth revive Lara as well as Jor-El?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Halloween Jack posted:

Did Rebirth revive Lara as well as Jor-El?

Specifically not.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
She appeared sometime in 1939, the Waynes appeared in November 1939, so she probably beats the Waynes by a matter of months.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't that actually Proty? :v:

Proty is the sacrifice to bring him back to life.
The lightning needed to transfer the life energy back to LL (...another LL that has to do with Superman, goddammit) hits Saturn Girl, but as she dies, we see that it was actually Proty who, after taking her place, used a special metal that's better at attracting lightning.
Here's a summary of the whole thing. https://sacomics.blogspot.com/2010/04/death-of-lightning-lad.html

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Madkal posted:

Hey, Golden age Superman still showed up occasionally until they killed him off in Final Crisis, so golden age Batman's dead parents can still be considered dead for the purposes of this inquiry. Golden Age Batman never came back to life did he? I guess it helps that they killed him off retroactively rather than in any sort of story that was ongoing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vincent posted:

Proty is the sacrifice to bring him back to life.
The lightning needed to transfer the life energy back to LL (...another LL that has to do with Superman, goddammit) hits Saturn Girl, but as she dies, we see that it was actually Proty who, after taking her place, used a special metal that's better at attracting lightning.
Here's a summary of the whole thing. https://sacomics.blogspot.com/2010/04/death-of-lightning-lad.html

No, they're right. After CoIE it was revealed that Proty didn't die, he just transferred his soul into Lightning Lad's body. He never came back from the dead, someone else just moved into his body and pretended to be him

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

TwoPair posted:

And follow-up question: Has Batman ever died? The closest I can think of is Final Crisis, but it showed he was actually thrown back in time before they could even pretend he was Dead For Real.

Right. so in this story, Batman legit dies by electrocution, so the Atom climbs into his skull and runs around on his brain to animate his corpse and track down the killers to save the woman they kidnapped. At the end of the story, it turns out all of that running around on his brain jump-started it and brought Batman back to life. Bob Haney, folks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Right. so in this story, Batman legit dies by electrocution, so the Atom climbs into his skull and runs around on his brain to animate his corpse and track down the killers to save the woman they kidnapped. At the end of the story, it turns out all of that running around on his brain jump-started it and brought Batman back to life. Bob Haney, folks.

God I love comics.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That is like, peak Batman aesthetically to me. Something about grimy rear end seventies looking Gotham is so perfect. That said, am I reading that margin right, 1994?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Boy, Sue Dibny must be pissed.