Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I smiled at that. Then they mentioned the dipping sticks and I broke into a wide grin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No sympathy for someone who orders a large plain cheese pizza

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
That really didn't buy enough time there Jimmy

EDIT:

GALE

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 21, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no loving way

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
GAIL!!!!!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Gail! :unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:swoon: Tom Lehrer

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh this is the best show.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hello gail

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo. How did I not see Gale coming. This is loving great.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Look at this deadass boy

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And now the other shoe drops :smith:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
super duper digging this season

that loving copier office has produced two great scenes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I made a very undignified sound when I realized Gale was about to show up

:3:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kim :smith:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I can't believe out of all the characters I thought of being on Saul, I NEVER thought of Gail. In hindsight that's crazy of course Gail would be on. Fuckin awesome.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I just realized something about her: I'm pretty much always surprised by whatever reaction she has. I just can't seem to figure her out, but in a really good, believable sort of way.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Gail was a delightful surprise. For some reason I never considered the possibility of him showing up even though it makes perfect sense.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The "Mike and Mando Show" half of this show has a bad case of prequelitis. The reliance on "hey guys, here's [familiar character], please clap" is enough to make George Lucas blush.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

General Dog posted:

The "Mike and Mando Show" half of this show has a bad case of prequelitis. The reliance on "hey guys, here's [familiar character], please clap" is enough to make George Lucas blush.

Yeah well I clapped so idgaf

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Was Kim crying because she read the letter beforehand and knew Jimmy was bullshiting?

It really said "Brother I have hated you since you were born and I am ashamed of you. gently caress you from beyond the grave."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Was Kim crying because she read the letter beforehand and knew Jimmy was bullshiting?

It really said "Brother I have hated you since you were born and I am ashamed of you. gently caress you from beyond the grave."

She was crying because she was witnessing the death of Jimmy McGill.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sierra Nevadan posted:

i'm just going to quote the av club because donna bowman said it better than whatever i'd write

quote:

What this excruciating final scene drives home is that Jimmy really does not understand the consequences of being in a relationship. He has dealt with his Chuck problem as if he is a free agent. But the way he reads that final letter — ice cold, brittle, flippant — shows that he’s turned his heart into stone. And he never even thinks that Kim, who cares for him, wants to be there for him, even tried to protect him from Chuck’s passive-aggressive last twist of the knife, might be hurt by his utter rejection of human feeling. He’s decided to go it alone when it comes to dealing with the past and moving forward. He doesn’t see that this shuts Kim out and makes her feel like a fool for caring, for trying.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was confused at first and then after thinking about it I figured she finally put the pieces together that Jimmy doesn't give a poo poo about Chuck's death. If he can emotionally sever himself from his own brother that quickly it raises questions about what she really means to Jimmy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

quote:

What this excruciating final scene drives home is that Jimmy really does not understand the consequences of being in a relationship. He has dealt with his Chuck problem as if he is a free agent. But the way he reads that final letter — ice cold, brittle, flippant — shows that he’s turned his heart into stone. And he never even thinks that Kim, who cares for him, wants to be there for him, even tried to protect him from Chuck’s passive-aggressive last twist of the knife, might be hurt by his utter rejection of human feeling. He’s decided to go it alone when it comes to dealing with the past and moving forward. He doesn’t see that this shuts Kim out and makes her feel like a fool for caring, for trying.

Chuck was an rear end in a top hat to Jimmy his whole life. And it's been months (?) show time since Chuck said those nasty things. Jimmy scams people, takes shortcuts through life, and rarely suffers the consequence or feels guilt. Jimmy is a user and other people pay for it. He's the protagonist so we want to like and sympathize but the truth is, Chuck was right about Jimmy. Jimmy's heart didn't turn to stone suddenly after Chuck died, it's been turning to stone his whole life.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

eke out posted:

i'm just going to quote the av club because donna bowman said it better than whatever i'd write

Yeah I'd say they nailed it. We're seeing the beginning of what will ultimately end their relationship, something that we've known all along was coming eventually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo that guy got scammed by a Kirby vacuum salesman. Jimmy was right about him.

Also, this episode seemed to end really abruptly. Jimmy reads the letter, Kim realizes he's become a sociopath and then it just ends.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Rewatching old scenes, and this one in particular is eerily prophetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Azbw8xsFPg

Not necessarily what Jimmy says to Chuck, which turned out only to be half-true, but what Chuck says to Jimmy.

quote:

That's why I'm doing this, not to punish you, to show you, truly show you, that you have to make a change before it's too late. Before you destroy yourself, or someone else. And I believe you can change. You'll find your path. And when you're ready, I will be there to help you walk that path.

Looks like it's too late, Chuck. :smith:

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Gus hasn’t been a villain in the context of BCS until the last few minutes of the last episode, and writing that thought down has helped me figure out why his inclusion in the show hasn’t worked for me so far. Now that Nacho’s rear end is in the jackpot, I’m interested to see if the show is going to torch the sympathy and goodwill we have for Mike, knowing how loyal he ends up to Gus even though he knows the man to be a psychopath.

Old post, but :lol: at this phrase escaping the MLB thread

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That is an odd letter and seems to not be at all anything that Chuck's character would write. Seems there is a good chance the reason for Kim getting upset and the cliffhanger is that the letter is not actually from Chuck and Kim swapped it out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That is an odd letter and seems to not be at all anything that Chuck's character would write. Seems there is a good chance the reason for Kim getting upset and the cliffhanger is that the letter is not actually from Chuck and Kim swapped it out.

I’m thinking this too. Chuck probably wrote a really nasty letter before killing himself.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I was trying to remember why the burglar was familiar, and looked it up. He's the guy who ran the front end of Vamonos Pest.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The letter scene had a kind of twist: that the letter seemed genuinely heartfelt (because it came from a time when Chuck and Jimmy were on better terms). It's a crazy complicated situation emotionally, it should be super hard to read given everything that's happened. The fact that Jimmy walled himself off from engaging emotionally with it at all was hard for Kim to watch.

There's no reason to think Chuck didn't write that letter. As long as he could maintain a distance of superiority, he'd treat his brother well. He convinced himself that his behavior towards Jimmy was motivated 100% by kindness, rationalizing away the less honorable feelings and folding them into the more reasonable ones. He had it in him to write a nice letter. Especially back when Jimmy was still working in the mail room. Willing Jimmy a letter written back then, from when he "showed promise" in Chuck's eyes, was an A+ passive-aggressive move.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 21, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m thinking this too. Chuck probably wrote a really nasty letter before killing himself.

It is either this or guilt.

She had that little meltdown at Mesa Verde and it could be that she is sort of able to draw a line of causation between her success and how she got there, basically by driving chuck even more nuts to the point that he embarrassed himself in public, lost his job over the insurance and killed himself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know if you guys were watching the same show I did, but Jimmy is clearly not ok. His hand is trembling throughout the whole will segment and he's reading the letter slowly and deliberately, stumbling and stuttering. That's not Saul Goodman, that's misguided little brother James McGill. Kim isn't upset that he's a sociopath; she's upset that he's hurting and not letting her in. It's a pretty common reaction to grief, and it's one of the hardest to deal with.

Incidentally, did anyone float the idea that Gus and Gale were romantically involved during BB? It would give a whole new angle to the events of Box Cutter without detracting from Fring's character. It's never crossed my mind before, but this scene just gave me some vibes, man.

E: I thought that the Mesa Verde stuff was just Kim realizing it was too much work for her to handle while also trying to look after a man who refuses to ask for help, but I could also see it being guilt over having stolen it from a man as part of a chain of events that lead to his death. That part I agree with.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 21, 2018

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Anyone else find the idea of a tweaking Gail working on his super-xanax just :kiddo: af? I mean that's how we're supposed to read that scene right?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

timp posted:

Holy poo poo. How did I not see Gale coming. This is loving great.

I wasn't expecting it just because Gale's actor has been killing it on Billions lately with a big ol' beard and I didn't think they'd be able to get him or maybe wouldn't want him with a beard on, but they made it work and man it was fun to see him. It makes sense that you could get just about anyone for what had to be a literal one day of shooting though.

Also someone said earlier that Gilligan and co. don't waste time on dropping shoes and boy they didn't here with that letter. Between seeing Jimmy be so cold and being overwhelmed with Mesa Verde the best I can hope for her is that she severs from Jimmy and I dunno, hires a few more paralegals to held handle her workload for awhile, at least until she's back up on her feet. The letter was also basically what I expected, having it be from when they were on far better terms was a smart way to go.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

While I think part of what upset Kim is how Jimmy was reading the letter so nonchalantly, I think it was also upsetting to her that she had completely come to expect the absolute worse from Chuck - the letter was not, as she had predicted, "one last gently caress you from beyond the grave." It's a complicated situation, but she probably felt like a total rear end in a top hat after trashing the dead dude that it turned out just had some kinda nice things to say.

Jimmy reading the letter while Kim was choking up, going through everything that Jimmy was 'supposed' to feel was an amazing scene. Knocked me for six, I had a strong man cry after credits. Dunno what I expected from the letter but, like Kim, it wasn't that.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 21, 2018

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't know if you guys were watching the same show I did, but Jimmy is clearly not ok. His hand is trembling throughout the whole will segment and he's reading the letter slowly and deliberately, stumbling and stuttering. That's not Saul Goodman, that's misguided little brother James McGill. Kim isn't upset that he's a sociopath; she's upset that he's hurting and not letting her in. It's a pretty common reaction to grief, and it's one of the hardest to deal with.

Yeah you must be watching a different show because that is not at all how that scene played out.

Chadzok posted:

While I think part of what upset Kim is how Jimmy was reading the letter so nonchalantly, I think it was also upsetting to her that she had completely come to expect the absolute worse from Chuck - the letter was not, as she had predicted, "one last gently caress you from beyond the grave." It's a complicated situation, but she probably felt like a total rear end in a top hat after trashing the dead dude that it turned out just had some kinda nice things to say.

Jimmy reading the letter while Kim was choking up, going through everything that Jimmy was 'supposed' to feel was an amazing scene. Knocked me for six, I had a strong man cry after credits. Dunno what I expected from the letter but, like Kim, it wasn't that.

This is what I think as well. She just got hit by a ton of emotion as she realized the letter was not a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

They pass the savings on to you!