Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1027123327876452352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

the freestyle is absolutely fine for normal humans. peopel that get offended by the texture of food probably find it unusable tho

like all membrane keyboards it's fine at first but it wears out prematurely

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also the travel on it is absolutely terrible, the wrist pads are crappy quality, and literally everything about its build quality is terrible

i got the kinesis after my mattias ergo pro died. it was bs that the mattias died, so i requested the kinesis instead to try to get better build quality and it was a terrible mistake

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also the tenting mechanism is jank a f

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There is no keyboard called "the kinesis" yOU NOOB!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

use context to figure out the model, it’s a puzzle but instead of satisfaction you get to understand my lovely posts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
maybe you type like a goddamn roided up football player or smth idk it meets my needs quite well

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I got a real old collectable keyboard of ebay which turns out not to work with anything invented after 1999 (one of you goons is going to get it for yosmas lol) but now Ive got the new keyboard bug.

Does anyone have any opinions on the the Vortex Core, or other 40% keyboards in general? I'm really tempted to get one but a bit worried that such a minimalist keyboards will actually be a bad idea even tho I mostly write prose.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my wrists are cramping just looking at that.

I love my gay freestyle 2 and freestyle edge.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

vodkat posted:

I got a real old collectable keyboard of ebay which turns out not to work with anything invented after 1999 (one of you goons is going to get it for yosmas lol) but now Ive got the new keyboard bug.

Does anyone have any opinions on the the Vortex Core, or other 40% keyboards in general? I'm really tempted to get one but a bit worried that such a minimalist keyboards will actually be a bad idea even tho I mostly write prose.

not enough buttons, op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Achmed Jones posted:

also the travel on it is absolutely terrible, the wrist pads are crappy quality, and literally everything about its build quality is terrible

i got the kinesis after my mattias ergo pro died. it was bs that the mattias died, so i requested the kinesis instead to try to get better build quality and it was a terrible mistake

the kinesis advantage is the only kinesis that doesn't blow donkey cock

it's also the only one made in usa

and it's also their original product

it's almost like their product line extensions have been miserable failures

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

vodkat posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the the Vortex Core, or other 40% keyboards in general?

I went from a full size to a Diverge TM2 (split 40% ortho) about a year ago. Figured if I was gonna get a weird keyboard I might as well get one that allowed me to try out a lot of weird keyboard features

My takeaways:
1) I'm never going back to a non-split keyboard for work use (I'm a software engineer). It's much easier on my wrists and allows me to sit with me shoulders back instead of rolled forward.
2) I think ortho is a meme. However, something with curved rows like an Ergodox or Iris might actually be really nice (for work).
3) 40% is pretty rad for work. Takes a while to get used to, but having everything immediately under your fingers is quite nice.
4) 40% is garbage for gaymen. If you use the same computer for work and vidya, you're going to want to have a second regular keyboard hooked up so you can switch out.

I've been considering putting together a Quefrency (split 60% staggered) lately, as that seems like it could work well for both working and gaming. I really like how the left side has an FN key to the right of the spacebar. On my TM2, I use the key to the left of the left space as an FN key, and it's not the most comfortable thing to hit with my thumb. Placing it to the right of the space seems like a much better way to do it.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

vodkat posted:

I just can't imagine this would ever be convenient ever, a 60% is like the minimum usable size for a keyboard

do you really want to hit a function key every time you want to input a number?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

vodkat posted:

what the gently caress is this goddamn cursed keyboard

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its supremely awful

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I support tiny keyboards.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

vodkat posted:

I really want to get a keyboard that supports layers, but man this is shaving off too many keys, feels like you might as well start chording with one hand at that point

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

tiny keeb makes my dick look bigger

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i can’t imagine working on anything smaller than a 60% but then again, before I got a 60% I couldn’t imagine myself working on anything smaller than TKL.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
take the keyboard you were going to use and make it 60%

then make that 60% again

and use that

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
get a leopold fc660c

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

eschaton posted:

then make that 60% again

and use that

ah, the stymie board

pram
Jun 10, 2001
idk how anyone lives without function keys at a minimum

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

by never hitting 'em

what I don't understand is how anyone lives without number keys

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

then make that 60% again

and use that

lomarf

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

pram posted:

I don't think I've ever used a function key that wasn't the volume button on a laptop.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

what the gently caress is this goddamn cursed keyboard

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
talking of 60%ers, anne pro 2 has started shipping apparently, no idea how long it'll take to ship to me.

this one has the innovative feature of an off switch.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

vodkat posted:

I don't think I've ever used a function key that wasn't the volume button on a laptop.

jony did it right by making the function keys default to volume/media controls and relegating the actual fs behind an fn modifier so they could never be used like they were intended not to be

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Learning to use a ridiculous input device is art, sorta like playing a musical instrument but not as fun to listen to.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
that’s why Bluetooth marionette controllers are popular with millennials

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

also why I can’t find a decent MIDI wind controller for cheap

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.40percent.club makes pretty cool keyboards

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

ted hitler posted:

https://www.40percent.club makes pretty cool keyboards

for a clown

at the circus

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

for a clown

at the circus

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

eschaton posted:

then make that 60% again

and use that

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

for some profoundly insane reason this thing cost $595

yes, five hundred ninety five goddamn dollars.

idgi.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shift shift

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
mechanical queefboards

Adbot