Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Rano Pano posted:

Almost finished a (second) Knight! I didn’t like repeating the super static default pose, so I went for something with a little more motion, allowing for Maximum Gallantry:

That's loving great dude, the white/grey almost metallic edging must have been a pretty insane amount of effort on a model that size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Booley posted:

I wouldn't call it fake news, I just repainted it white to help make it absurdly obvious to people turning a blind eye. The sculptors didn't intend to end up with a kkkawdor executioner, but they did.

Not all KKK robes are white.

From the ADL (Anti Defamation League) website, adl.org:

quote:

Generally speaking, white robes tend to indicate a rank-and-file member, unless all members wear such robes. Green robes indicate state leaders (Grand Dragons) in many Klan groups, while black robes often indicate Knighthawks, a sort of Klan security position. The leaders, or Imperial Wizards, of different Klan groups have chosen a variety of different colors of robes to wear. Klan groups may also use a variety of stripes (in different colors and numbers), sashes, and emblems on their robes.

With this pic:

And Wikipedia says blue is a color sometimes used by Imperial Wizards, a high-ranking position.

Yeah, oops.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 20, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Got a little 1k game in with my admech yesterday, my first time taking them out, and came back from a bit of a losing streak playing nids with a crushing victory. It didn't hurt that I tried to guess my buddy's list in advance and the list I came up with was a lot meaner than what he brought. Infiltrated Stygies Electro-Priests loving do work, 10 of them easily made back triple or quadruple their points killing a unit of bikers, a Helverin, a unit of Hellblasters, and a Librarian. Easily one of the most powerful melee set-ups in 40k.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cessna posted:

Not all KKK robes are white.

From the ADL (Anti Defamation League) website, adl.org:

With this pic:

And Wikipedia says blue is a color sometimes used by Imperial Wizards, a high-ranking position.

Yeah, oops.

God he looks like a stupid bastard.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Mate. Iron your loving klan hood, mate. Mate!

State of him.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Hopefully we can all agree pointed hoods no matter the color or context are just bad feels.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Looks like a fat karate instructor wearing a weird hat.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I personally think the big Ork in the background is another buggy variant with a dude poking out the top. The perspective is causing all sorts of size weirdness, even the yellow warbiker on the right looks massive

Gonna quote myself when it turns out I'm right :colbert:

(Don't quote me when I'm wrong though ok thanks)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Nah man, it’s a track-driven vehicle with a warboss torso Mutoid Man-style.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

For_Great_Justice posted:

Hopefully we can all agree pointed hoods no matter the color or context are just bad feels.

I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras back in ‘11 and, when we got back to the hotel room and turned on the tv, one of the local channels was airing this live broadcast of some debutante reveal ball. Only thing was, all the men were dressed in clan outfits of every hue of the rainbow. It literally looked like they didn’t separate their whites from the colors on laundry day(ironically enough). It felt like we were watching a Jodorowsky film.

Locals told us there’s a few fraternal orders that grew out of the clan that have disavowed the racism part but still keep the meetings and uniforms because of tradition.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

As a follow up to the guard question, how decent are deathwatch to play? Specifically I really like the way the deathwatch veteran squads look with all their customization and fancy gear. However a quick google search and I'm finding repeated claims that veterans aren't worth using over primaris marines or that they should just be kitted out with stormbolters. The draw of deathwatch to me kind of goes out the window if the current codex pushes me to play them that way. I don't care immensely about running a competitive army but at the same time I don't want to get wrecked every time I try and play. I quite liked the idea of running a small detachment of deathwatch vets in their blackstar that I could occasionally bring alongside the astras but if they don't really work kitted out 'fluffy' then its less appealing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've heard some rumors there is also a new Grazkull model that's even bigger than his 3rd edition model. I've heard the size of Bobby G up to the size of Magnus, I think the former is more likely.

If you've seen the LE Primaris Captain, the one with the plasma pistol and power fist, he's smaller than the other Primaris captains, either the one from the starter set or the boxed one.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
It's looking like the death watch kill team starter will be £30 and the dark eldar will be £37.50.

Has anyone put death watch arms on intercessors / reivers? I've heard that they're slightly shorter but don't look noticeably out of place. After building some MK3 plague marines I discovered I don't like regularly sized marines even if they're in cool armor.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Out of curiosity, do the Brits have any sort of KKK analogue infesting their own country? Not necessarily rooting for racism, but secretive groups with dumb titles and outfits that get together to hate on something in particular.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Badablack posted:

Out of curiosity, do the Brits have any sort of KKK analogue infesting their own country? Not necessarily rooting for racism, but secretive groups with dumb titles and outfits that get together to hate on something in particular.

The Conservative Party?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Badablack posted:

What about that pigfucker society?

efb

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

PierreTheMime posted:

I want this and I want to rig it up so I can press a button to make him say "NO WAY"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There's no way Ghaz is demon primarch sized.

MrFlibble posted:

It's looking like the death watch kill team starter will be £30 and the dark eldar will be £37.50.

Has anyone put death watch arms on intercessors / reivers? I've heard that they're slightly shorter but don't look noticeably out of place. After building some MK3 plague marines I discovered I don't like regularly sized marines even if they're in cool armor.

I've seen Reivers holding DW shotguns. They're held a little closer than normal and I wouldn't put on the chest pouches, but it doesn't look out of place.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PierreTheMime posted:

They're teasing an entirely new faction to round out Orktober: with the Mechorkicum® Kataphrork© Breachork.

Kinda loving my phone autocorrect apparently knows about Orktober.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Tom Scioli now on GW staff, Ork version of this confirmed:

(Read American Barbarian)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Mr Teatime posted:

As a follow up to the guard question, how decent are deathwatch to play? Specifically I really like the way the deathwatch veteran squads look with all their customization and fancy gear. However a quick google search and I'm finding repeated claims that veterans aren't worth using over primaris marines or that they should just be kitted out with stormbolters. The draw of deathwatch to me kind of goes out the window if the current codex pushes me to play them that way. I don't care immensely about running a competitive army but at the same time I don't want to get wrecked every time I try and play. I quite liked the idea of running a small detachment of deathwatch vets in their blackstar that I could occasionally bring alongside the astras but if they don't really work kitted out 'fluffy' then its less appealing.

Stormbolters are a good cheap option but you can certainly add in some heavy weapons, a terminator or two, etc. But going the Kill Team route of everyone has a different weapon doesn't make sense since you'll end up with mismatched ranges and also rolling each model individually because they have different weapons will slow the game down a lot.

Even from a fluff perspective, most DW dudes are carrying bolters and a power weapon of some sort with usually a heavy weapons guy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Badablack posted:

The masons.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Badablack posted:

Morris Dancers

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lungboy posted:

The masons.

Do the Masons actually hate anything? They seem more or less chill but I don't know anything. Only Mason I know about is the guy in Mexico that organised communities to fight back against the cartels and was winning until the government locked him up.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

JBP posted:

Do the Masons actually hate anything? They seem more or less chill but I don't know anything. Only Mason I know about is the guy in Mexico that organised communities to fight back against the cartels and was winning until the government locked him up.

Catholics

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Badablack posted:

Not necessarily rooting for racism, but secretive groups with dumb titles and outfits that get together to hate on something in particular.

The Nobility.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar!

An ork version of Kataphron would be neat.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
For me the new model exposes something that has occurred over the thirty years or whatever of 40K and that is the complete loss of any irony in the setting.

When it was all a ripoff of Judge Dredd/ Nemesis the Warlock mixed with your favourite sci fi bits was there an element of parody that meant models in this style (I mean those with the hoods rather than this specific model with hoods plus nooses) could be considered as alluding to all the religious meanings as well as the racist ones but these were meant to be baddys so this was accepted ?

There is an element of how hosed up things are at the moment affecting the way we look at this but also perhaps that the space marines, the military musclemen of a totalitarian, xenophobic, fundamentalist regime are considered the good guys in this setting unironically. The setting has condensed to focus around genetically enhanced supermen in power armour who kill aliens just because they are different . Then a model that evokes these real world symbols of hate fits in to this fantasy setting... but doesn't look ridiculous or in anyway provide a negative critique of these things.

Badablack posted:

...fox hunters...?

JackMack fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 20, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone who doesn't know that the Orks are the good guys is flat out wrong.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Badablack posted:

Arguably, the Orange Order, though that’s mostly Northern Ireland (with some weirdos in Scotland too). They hate catholics, too. They’re not technically a hate group though because reasons.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

There was until recently, the last 50 years or so, strong racial divides within the US Freemasons lodges. I think the Masons used to be very anti-Catholic but that might be from the Catholic Church essentially outlawing them as heretical. The Knights of Columbus are a direct outcropping of that.

EDIT:

Owlkill posted:

Arguably, the Orange Order, though that’s mostly Northern Ireland (with some weirdos in Scotland too). They hate catholics, too. They’re not technically a hate group though because reasons.

The Orange Order is pretty close to the first iteration of the Klan in a lot of way. The modern Klan is the third iteration and is different in that it's white racists from all over and not the paramilitary arm of the Democratic Party and Confederate revanchists in the South.

I get that they were going for the Spanish ceremonial garb look but it's in poor taste in 21st century considering who has co-opted that look in their biggest market.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 20, 2018

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: the Klan was very aggressively anti Catholic up until the last generation, when they realized that most American Catholics are also super racist.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lobster God posted:

The Conservative Party?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

JBP posted:

No we don't. It's just a bunch of old nerds who get together to have dinner and listen to tired old morality plays. Here in the US, it's worn out slightly-racist-in-the-way-rural-people-from-the-30s-are old guys, but they're fairly harmless. The Catholic Church excommunicates Mason catholics, but that's because the Naples lodge in the 1800s tried to overthrow the pope, there's no antipathy from the other direction.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Owlkill posted:

That was all an accent-based misunderstanding.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'd really love an Instagram account where someone is posting these old-rear end models painted with modern techniques.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Badablack posted:

welsh

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mr Teatime posted:

They work great in Kill Team, where having a bunch of guys with different weapon loadouts is a feature not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Cornish.