Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought the Pathfinder scene was all about simulation and immersion and in-universe wordings wherever possible, and I'm cracking up at the thought of a religious order carefully lawyering their most holy of oaths around avoiding divine punishment.

There's plenty of religions that are big on rules lawyering their deities. Orthodox Judaism is the foremost among them, of course. But I always thought D&D religions were usually a lot of Not-Catholic religions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Modern RPG where guys that can use cool Kabbalah magic need to follow all tenets of Hasidism including wearing those weird fur hats, not adventuring during Shabbat, pray half of the day and eat only Kosher or else they lose their powers

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Modern RPG where guys that can use cool Kabbalah magic need to follow all tenets of Hasidism including wearing those weird fur hats, not adventuring during Shabbat, pray half of the day and eat only Kosher or else they lose their powers

I would honestly be completely down for something like this.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Plutonis posted:

So, Unknown Armies

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's just how AD&D clerics work though. :confused:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
When you learn Yiddish to spite your DM's choice of game system, roll 2d6+Wis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

When you learn Yiddish to spite your DM's choice of game system, roll 2d6+Wis
I don't roll on shabbos!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Foglet posted:

The Three Laws of Paladics

Yea, the “possible harm” exception is obviously because they just cribbed the Three Laws of Robotics and need to deal with the I Robot issue of “I must lock all the innocents up in my Holy Camp because if I didn’t one of them might get hurt in a way that being locked up could have prevented.”

Also the sample adventure seems to feature a guy obsessed with aliens who met some pharoahs in Egypt and build them a pyramid in which he could summon Cthulhu.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

hyphz posted:

Yea, the “possible harm” exception is obviously because they just cribbed the Three Laws of Robotics and need to deal with the I Robot issue of “I must lock all the innocents up in my Holy Camp because if I didn’t one of them might get hurt in a way that being locked up could have prevented.”

Also the sample adventure seems to feature a guy obsessed with aliens who met some pharoahs in Egypt and build them a pyramid in which he could summon Cthulhu.

But really who hasn't built a pyramid to a dread god?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Deleted for spoilers (not that any of them made any difference, it's just dungeon crawls, but hey)

hyphz fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 21, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doomsday Dawn is the culmination of a bunch of plot lines going back to before Pathfinder 1e. It’s not trying to be explanatory or introductory and that’s fine: it’s written for Pathfinder fans who already know all that stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also thanks for revealing the entire backstory of an adventure I’m running for goons without using any spoiler tags or anything, you dipshit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I think everyone scrolled through that wall of text like I did so no harm done

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why on earth would they attach an attack penalty to that ability, is what I want to ask, but I know it's because Pathfinder.

The timing's amazing too - resolving an entire attack with all that can entail in between someone else rolling to hit and damage.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

Also thanks for revealing the entire backstory of an adventure I’m running for goons without using any spoiler tags or anything, you dipshit.

I think you experienced the true Retributive Strike, also :

Plutonis posted:

I think everyone scrolled through that wall of text like I did so no harm done

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kingcom posted:

I think you experienced the true Retributive Strike!, the best tactical RPG

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

hyphz posted:

It wasn't even that. I mean, ok. Just look at this.

Maybe I've been inured from FaF, but none of that seems that bad, and those objections seem kind of pedantic, almost as if determined not to suspend disbelief a little for some basic premises of the genre--

*double-checks who I'm responding to*

ah.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

Deleted for spoilers (not that any of them made any difference, it's just dungeon crawls, but hey)
I just want you to know that I caught this before you deleted it and that it sounds exactly like a story I wrote when I was like 9 years old and had to write a story for some class that needed to be 20 pages long for some idiot reason and I could only get to ~10 so I made sure to ramble on about a ton of poo poo that didn't matter in the middle.

I can also honestly say that none of it was "spoilers" because that would imply that any of the reveals are surprising and/or interesting and/or have an effect on the story or the reader.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How do you give that backstory out to players in any way that isn't 'and now mcmouthpiece O'Shea shall exposition at you'

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I like how if you're protecting somebody with Retributive Strike, enemies can attack from the opposite side of your protectee and use them as minor cover, as far as I can tell.

It's an ability that seems to scream for including a 5' step for some flexibility, but as it is it pretty much requires you to run a three-legged race with whomever you're shielding. It can work if your allies are willing to play high fantasy Puyo Puyo with you, but it seems weirdly fiddly to implement consistently.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cassa posted:

How do you give that backstory out to players in any way that isn't 'and now mcmouthpiece O'Shea shall exposition at you'

I've always seen this as the real achilles heel of paizo adventure paths, they really never provide much of a venue or methodology for explaining a lot of whats going on in the adventure path to the players or the motivations behind anything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kingcom posted:

I've always seen this as the real achilles heel of paizo adventure paths, they really never provide much of a venue or methodology for explaining a lot of whats going on in the adventure path to the players or the motivations behind anything.

Doomsday Dawn is a bit more focused with a single plot line stretching over 14 sessions of play or so, but yeah there’s still a lot of exposition.

Also tonight’s PARANOIA game ended with the Troubleshooters destroying the warehouse they were assigned to protect. A can of Bouncy Bubble Beverage exploded and set off a tacnuke in one of the crates, leveling the warehouse and destroying the entire party. A very successful session.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Doomsday Dawn is the culmination of a bunch of plot lines going back to before Pathfinder 1e. It’s not trying to be explanatory or introductory and that’s fine: it’s written for Pathfinder fans who already know all that stuff.
There's a guy in front of me on the train reading this right now

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

kingcom posted:

Yup, Paizo's stuff is all absolutely stuffed full of backstory and motivations that the players have absolutely no way of finding out about in character.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
What I want to know is, when is Pathfinder 2E planning to bring back this thing:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

senrath posted:

Yup, Paizo's stuff is all absolutely stuffed full of backstory and motivations that the players have absolutely no way of finding out about in character.

It took a while for my group playing Curse of the Crimson Throne to stop thinking about how to actually treat a disease or overthrow a corrupt monarch rather than just going with the flow and counting on finding the answers to everything at the bottom of a dungeon. That might be just refusal to accept genre but it’s also refusal to accept ludonarrative dissonance.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hyphz posted:

It took a while for my group playing Curse of the Crimson Throne to stop thinking about how to actually treat a disease or overthrow a corrupt monarch rather than just going with the flow and counting on finding the answers to everything at the bottom of a dungeon. That might be just refusal to accept genre but it’s also refusal to accept ludonarrative dissonance.

or they just don't like being railroaded and want to feel some agency in their make believe time

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think there's room for both games with sweeping narratives and the PCs at the center of it all, and games about being treasure hunters desperately searching dungeons for valuables, but maybe they don't need to be the same game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Let me tell you about some fun games called Fellowship and Dungeon World :eng101:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Let me tell you about some fun games called Fellowship and Dungeon World :eng101:
I just bought fellowship yesterday, am I that obvious???

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i must not have heard of this fun version of Dungeon World

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Countblanc posted:

Isn't Dungeon World one of those games that works best if you throw out a lot of the core material and instead mostly use third party content

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

:emptyquote:

drrockso20 posted:

Isn't Dungeon World one of those games that works best if you throw out a lot of the core material and instead mostly use third party content

So I've heard. My experience with it is 'why am I not instead playing Fellowship, a game better designed in every sense that actually seems to understand what PbtA does well'.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It may be possible to have fun with imperfect games. Just throwin' that out there.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It may be possible to have fun with imperfect games. Just throwin' that out there.

Literally every time I had to engage actual mechanics in Dungeon World I got more bored. All the positive parts I could have gotten out of literally any fantasy game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I mean this is true and I have, but it's also one of those things that's brought up so much that it kind of goes without saying.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TL: "board games become bolder and become 'board games'"
Comment: "water becomes bolder and becomes water"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

No, it works drastically worse if you do this because you're trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, it works drastically worse if you do this because you're trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

'hammer a square peg into a round hole' already describes vanilla dungeon world tho???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The peg is more square and the hole somehow becomes rounder.