Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Partial Octopus posted:

After some research, I learned that all of the 27" 1440P 144hz refresh rate panels are made by LG. They all have this issue. So I would definitely stay away from them at the moment.

Amazing, every word of what you just said was wrong

That particular panel is made by AUO, totally unrelated to LG, there are a few different variations and you can definitely get ones without terrible backlight bleed. QA is definitely a concern, but you're much more likely to get a good one than a bad one and it has improved for all those panels since launch. The XB271HU is the best bet, but if you get one with terrible backlight bleed it is faulty and you should return it. If you can buy locally it's easier to swap if you get a bad one, but a good portion of this thread owns 1440p144Hz IPS screens that are perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Do these G-Sync things give any improvement if the system can't reach the nominal refresh rate (144hz, 165hz, whatever) of the display, or is the whole point that life's good even at, say, 80 or 100 fps? I'm running a GTX 1070 and a i5-3570k @4.4GHz which makes me scared of the possibility of spending €700 on a IPS 1440p with G-Sync and not get anything out of it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
G-sync only really provides a benefit when you can't consistently hit max FPS. Otherwise you could just use regular v-sync and there would be little difference. A 1070 will absolutely be able to hit 1440P 144Hz in some titles though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Amazing, every word of what you just said was wrong

That particular panel is made by AUO, totally unrelated to LG, there are a few different variations and you can definitely get ones without terrible backlight bleed. QA is definitely a concern, but you're much more likely to get a good one than a bad one and it has improved for all those panels since launch. The XB271HU is the best bet, but if you get one with terrible backlight bleed it is faulty and you should return it. If you can buy locally it's easier to swap if you get a bad one, but a good portion of this thread owns 1440p144Hz IPS screens that are perfectly fine.

Guess, I was misinformed. Thanks for pointing that out. Regardless though, it still seems that the Asus ones have a massive QC issue. From the looks of it the Acer models also suffer from a lot of the same issues. Hopefully their QC is better than Asus, though. I might give them a shot.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Partial Octopus posted:

Guess, I was misinformed. Thanks for pointing that out. Regardless though, it still seems that the Asus ones have a massive QC issue. From the looks of it the Acer models also suffer from a lot of the same issues. Hopefully their QC is better than Asus, though. I might give them a shot.

The Asus model does use a unique panel and is notorious for being the worst for QC, but it's still a good monitor in a vacuum.

I always recommend the XB271HU but I also own and use a PG279Q so :shrug:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

The Asus model does use a unique panel and is notorious for being the worst for QC, but it's still a good monitor in a vacuum.

I always recommend the XB271HU but I also own and use a PG279Q so :shrug:

Do you know if there is any input lag numbers out there? I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find anything on the XB271HU.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Loezi posted:

Do these G-Sync things give any improvement if the system can't reach the nominal refresh rate (144hz, 165hz, whatever) of the display, or is the whole point that life's good even at, say, 80 or 100 fps? I'm running a GTX 1070 and a i5-3570k @4.4GHz which makes me scared of the possibility of spending €700 on a IPS 1440p with G-Sync and not get anything out of it.

G-Sync and Freesync help when you can't hit the max refresh rate. Without it, your options are vsync (which will, e.g., drop the framerate from 144fps to 72fps as soon as it drops below 144 at all), or no sync (which results in mid-screen tearing). With it, the monitor will smoothly step down its refresh rate to match the framerate from the game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Free sync only helps between certain ranges of fps, usually between like 30-60 depending on the monitor. Sometimes it’s better sometimes it’s worse but it can change per monitor.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Partial Octopus posted:

Do you know if there is any input lag numbers out there? I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find anything on the XB271HU.

Input lag is not a concern on the XB271HU, I can't give you specific numbers for the 271, but I do have numbers for the 270 which was its predecessor. The 270 had a 3ms lag, much less than a frame of animation even at 165Hz(165Hz is about 6ms). The 270 and 271 were nearly identical as far as panel and signal processing hardware went so they should have around the same input lag.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Free sync only helps between certain ranges of fps, usually between like 30-60 depending on the monitor. Sometimes it’s better sometimes it’s worse but it can change per monitor.

Same with G-sync, since (AIUI) this is a limitation of the LCD panel itself and not the sync protocol.

Freesync claims a theoretical minimum of 10Hz but I don't know if any monitors actually approach that.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

..btt posted:

G-sync only really provides a benefit when you can't consistently hit max FPS. Otherwise you could just use regular v-sync and there would be little difference. A 1070 will absolutely be able to hit 1440P 144Hz in some titles though.

ToxicFrog posted:

G-Sync and Freesync help when you can't hit the max refresh rate. Without it, your options are vsync (which will, e.g., drop the framerate from 144fps to 72fps as soon as it drops below 144 at all), or no sync (which results in mid-screen tearing). With it, the monitor will smoothly step down its refresh rate to match the framerate from the game.

Thanks, this makes sense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My Radeon 7870 doesn't support either G-sync or Freesync, right? In that case is there any reason I should bother, and should I even bother with a >60hz monitor at all?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Is the AW3418DW enough of an upgrade from a 3+ year old LG ultrawide (UC87C-B) to be worth the money? I know it's outright better but I'm uncertain if the G-Sync and higher refresh rate is necessarily worth buying a whole new monitor at this point or just continuing to wait. The OSD on the one I have is absolute garbage but I don't use it too often, in part because of how garbage it is. I have the machine to handle the output, so that part doesn't need to be discussed.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

triple sulk posted:

Is the AW3418DW enough of an upgrade from a 3+ year old LG ultrawide (UC87C-B) to be worth the money? I know it's outright better but I'm uncertain if the G-Sync and higher refresh rate is necessarily worth buying a whole new monitor at this point or just continuing to wait. The OSD on the one I have is absolute garbage but I don't use it too often, in part because of how garbage it is. I have the machine to handle the output, so that part doesn't need to be discussed.

Its worth it for the high refresh rate if you have a good video card, and it's good for the G-sync if you don't.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

My Radeon 7870 doesn't support either G-sync or Freesync, right? In that case is there any reason I should bother, and should I even bother with a >60hz monitor at all?

This the Radeon HD 7870, released 2012ish? No, it doesn't. If it can reliably drive games you play at >60fps then you'll see some benefit from a >60Hz monitor if you can see the difference at all; you don't need freesync for that. That said, personally I can't reliably tell the difference between (say) 60fps and 80fps, and a card that old won't be able to run modern games at those speeds reliably in any case.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just hooked up my new XB271HU, love it! Time to return the Dell tomorrow then

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It cannot be overstated how nice G-Sync is if you're weak in the GPU department. It will make brand-new games playable with slightly-below-mid-range GPUs (like my 970) at full-screen resolution.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 22, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I am playing BF1 on lowest settings with my backup card, a 1060 3 GB, on an X34. I get some pop-in at long ranges, but it's minor, and ADSing always works. It mostly runs ~70 fps, I only start to notice if it dips into the 40s. Super playable on GSync.

The Authentic 780 Ti 3GB Experience™

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 22, 2018

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any opinions on using a 1070ti to drive 3440 x 1440? Thinking of moving to an ultra wide monitor and for local models, there is a big price jump from 1080p to 1440p and trying to see if it's worth it. Like a whole thousand bucks difference in my currency.

Specifically, I am looking at LG 34UC79G at about 2.1k, 1080p, vs the Acer X34P, at 3.5k, 1440p. Not many other ultrawides here.

For gaming, movies, and also work like ms word. Some light graphics editing but nothing major that requires super accurate colour.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 22, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GTX 1080 is fine for 3440x1440, and the 1070 Ti is real close to a 1080 when overclocked. If that's what's cheap locally, go for it.

Nothing else there uses much GPU horsepower, you can browse the web on a 750 ti or whatever.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks! Not cheap at all but affording the nicer model is tricky but might be worth it. Gonna see if I can find a display model somewhere because the 1080p at 34" ultra wide is worrisome at that size - if i can live with it, imma just get that.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Just hooked up my new XB271HU, love it! Time to return the Dell tomorrow then

Have you noticed any significant backlight bleed? I'm still trying to decide if I should bother trying the XB271HU or just go with the S2716DGR.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Partial Octopus posted:

Have you noticed any significant backlight bleed? I'm still trying to decide if I should bother trying the XB271HU or just go with the S2716DGR.

I don't think so. Everything seems fantastic and I don't see color shift with every moment of my head

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any thoughts on the z35? Gsync, 1440p ultrawide

E: Costco has it for like $650

eames
May 9, 2009

Dell announced two new budget TN freesync gaming screens at gamescom, S2719DGF (1440p 144Hz) and S2419HGF (1080p 120Hz).
I haven't seen them anywhere but on this german site, you can scroll down for the full spec table.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/dell-monitore-s2719dgf-s2419hgf-freesync/

I wonder if these are going to replace their cheap-ish G-Sync line up entirely.

eames fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 22, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It cannot be overstated how nice G-Sync is if you're weak in the GPU department. It will make brand-new games playable with slightly-below-mid-range GPUs (like my 970) at full-screen resolution.

Yeah, after seeing the nvidia announcements yesterday I'm glad I wound up with a gsync monitor since I care way less about just what FPS i can manage to hit

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

eames posted:

Dell announced two new budget TN freesync gaming screens at gamescom, S2719DGF (1440p 144Hz) and S2419HGF (1080p 120Hz).
I haven't seen them anywhere but on this german site, you can scroll down for the full spec table.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/dell-monitore-s2719dgf-s2419hgf-freesync/

I wonder if these are going to replace their cheap-ish G-Sync line up entirely.

How come both of them don't have thin bezels? Just to make more expensive one more desirable? Or is there still noticeable manufacturing cost to thinner bezels?

Also, is the best 1440p IPS 144Hz display really 3 years old? (ASUS ROG PG279Q) Where are all the newer ones with cheaper Gsync?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lol cheaper gsync.

The "upgrades" have been to 4k panels. Not much else to do to the older panels and why drop prices if you don't have to?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm waiting for G-Sync, IPS, 2k+, and Curved Widescreen for under $700 to be pushed by my 1070.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any thoughts on the z35? Gsync, 1440p ultrawide

E: Costco has it for like $650

It's not IPS, it's one of the "kinda like IPS" panels. I've heard mixed things, and I think they've got a history of a stilted panel lottery.

Buying through Costco, though - at least you don't have to worry about return woes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Z35 is a VA panel and is thus a hard no for gaming.

its me, I'm the 52ms black-to-grey response time on a "gaming" panel

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 22, 2018

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ended up with the LG 34UC79G, a 34" 1080p Ultrawide at 144Hz. Ended up with this because I managed to find display models of this and the X34p and while obviously the latter is nicer looking, it's almost double the price here and...no.

Also I thought the PPI would be too low for me but when I saw it in the store I realised that I actually sit quite far from my monitor so I was fine with it. Everything turned out okay and I saved a lot of money and my specs just blow this monitor out of the water.

Also 144 fps is so loving smooth goddamn I am just scrolling up and down websites for fun right now.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

My monitor is getting old (8 years!) and I’m considering replacing it. All I’ve got is a 970 and no plans to upgrade until probably 2020, given how expensive graphics cards are these days. I was looking at the LC24FG70FQNXZA which is on sale for $350cad ($275 usd). I like the idea of good colours and deep blacks, as well as the 144hz (not that I’ll be seeing it on anything but the desktop).

It would be nice to have gsync, but it’s a bit much of a premium. I don’t do competitive gaming, I mostly just want them to look good. The above post does have me a little worried about the gtg times resulting in a smeary image.

I can’t drive a 4K, not sure about 1440p with gsync, but I think I’ll stay on 1080p until I upgrade. Anything else I should take a look at? I don’t think I could go over 24” at 1080.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone have the XL2730? I've been using my 27" iMac as a monitor for years now but it's basically dead. I was thinking of getting a XL2411P but I'm worried about downgrading from 1440 27" to 1080p 24" for productivity....but maybe 144hz is a plus and saving tons of cash.

I have a 1060 6 GB and mainly play Quake Champions.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I just picked up a laptop with a nice 1440p screen and now my VS239's resolution and color look like hot garbage by comparison. I'd like to upgrade to match it.

I occasionally play games (Ori, Overwatch, Rocket League, No Man's Sky) but my video card is an MX150 so I won't be topping 60fps very often. 1440p or something similar would be nice for reading text, but color is also important and I'd like to spend less than $300 if possible. Does that exist?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Unsinkabear posted:

I just picked up a laptop with a nice 1440p screen and now my VS239's resolution and color look like hot garbage by comparison. I'd like to upgrade to match it.

I occasionally play games (Ori, Overwatch, Rocket League, No Man's Sky) but my video card is an MX150 so I won't be topping 60fps very often. 1440p or something similar would be nice for reading text, but color is also important and I'd like to spend less than $300 if possible. Does that exist?

The BenQ GW2765HT is $300 and while it's an older model it's a good monitor, 1440p and good for both text and gaming.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Fiddled with the motherboard settings and got the Mobo DisplayPort to drive the second monitor!

Now I just need to see how games run on the primary. I'm sure it'll be a good result.

Edit: wrong thread, but whatever haha

Aexo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 24, 2018

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Any news on when the overkilled 65" g-sync monitors will be out on the market?

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Does anyone use a Tobii Eye Tracker with an Acer G257HU (or similar) monitor? The reason I ask is that they're supposed to be mounted to the lower part of the bezel, but the G257HU has a weird sort of geometrically shaped bezel that's not completely flat, as seen here:

The tracker is 335mm long. There's probably about 150mm of usable flat space in the center of the bezel. I'm assuming it will still be secure, just that the ends will stick out a bit, but wondered if anyone had direct experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

nnnotime posted:

Any news on when the overkilled 65" g-sync monitors will be out on the market?

Last I've heard it had September release date. I'm more interested in LG 34GK950G, which is supposed to have the upgraded version of a panel found in Dell AW3418DW. Still no release info.