Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

VolticSurge posted:

So it's pretty good? Like I mentioned, I haven't seen any Goon discussion of the show since the premiere.

Yes. Personally, I enjoy it quite a bit. I guess goons don't care for it, though. But don't go in expecting some gritty drama. Just a bunch of teens having fun being super heroes. Also, they're kinda bad at it, since they don't even have individual hero names. They keep shouting each other's real name on the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yes. Personally, I enjoy it quite a bit. I guess goons don't care for it, though. But don't go in expecting some gritty drama. Just a bunch of teens having fun being super heroes. Also, they're kinda bad at it, since they don't even have individual hero names. They keep shouting each other's real name on the battlefield.

Alright,thanks! I'll have to give it a watch.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

Wow, Miraculous won the Teen Choice award for best animated show, beating the usual undead Fox shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc), Steven Universe and Rick & Morty. Not bad for a goofy Euro-cartoon that's barely known in the States.

And apparently Burger King US has a toyline out with their kids meals!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even Venture Bros with its years between seasons has a consistent release schedule once one starts. Steven Universe seems like CN is trying to copy the Gravity Falls shenanigans.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even Venture Bros with its years between seasons has a consistent release schedule once one starts. Steven Universe seems like CN is trying to copy the Gravity Falls shenanigans.

Venture Bros also sits on a pile of episodes before releasing them. It's just that, in VB's case, that pile ends up being almost the entire season's worth of episodes with production timed, such that the last episode's production is completed well before the finale air date. With SU and GF, I imagine the schedule is either not as tight for episode production or that episodes are basically "aired" as soon as the network okays them to air and finds a place in the schedule to put it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xelkelvos posted:

Venture Bros also sits on a pile of episodes before releasing them. It's just that, in VB's case, that pile ends up being almost the entire season's worth of episodes with production timed, such that the last episode's production is completed well before the finale air date. With SU and GF, I imagine the schedule is either not as tight for episode production or that episodes are basically "aired" as soon as the network okays them to air and finds a place in the schedule to put it.

That's kind of how it worked for GF, but for SU, CN tends to sit on a bunch of episodes for months before releasing, like, five to eight over the course of a month or something, when they could be, like, going at the same pace releasing one every two weeks or something like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pakled posted:

That's kind of how it worked for GF, but for SU, CN tends to sit on a bunch of episodes for months before releasing, like, five to eight over the course of a month or something, when they could be, like, going at the same pace releasing one every two weeks or something like that.

So SU is in between sitting on a whole/half season and releasing it all at once, and releasing it as they're produced? Especially since the more recent batches are basically solid narrative arcs or episodes placed in between them.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that there's probably a logical reason. Whether it's good or bad is a matter of actual measurable metrics that are obviously not available to any of us here (unless they work at CN and have access to their stream metrics system), so it's kinda moot to say if it's good or bad. And before anyone cites fan outcry, that's not a metric and likely doesn't correlate to any of CN's.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah man, looks like the new Total Drama series is being relegated to Saturday morning.

It's kinda funny how Saturday morning used to be where cartoons ruled and now it's where they go to die.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
When did American channels stop doing the Saturday morning cartoon runs? You had an awesome variety then, not just 6 hours of TTG.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Primarily the rise of cable and particularly children's channels that could show that kind of programming whenever.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah man, looks like the new Total Drama series is being relegated to Saturday morning.

It's kinda funny how Saturday morning used to be where cartoons ruled and now it's where they go to die.

Have there been any recurring characters from season to season?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TV Zombie posted:

Boomerang isn't bad, it's just dated. So happy that Craig got renewed.

Boomerang doesn't show old poo poo anymore, they rebranded a few years ago and now it just shows the trash that's too bad even for Cartoon Network's standards.

El Tortuga posted:

All joking aside, every parent I know has said [Mickey and the Roadster Racers] it's even worse than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, which I didn't think was possible

It's true, not even my kids would watch that poo poo

The_Doctor posted:

When did American channels stop doing the Saturday morning cartoon runs? You had an awesome variety then, not just 6 hours of TTG.

I think the official time of death of Saturday Morning Cartoons as a concept was September... 2013?
Nope, looks like 2014. http://theweek.com/speedreads/445107/saturday-morning-cartoon-officially-dead

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 21, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Have there been any recurring characters from season to season?

Total Drama has a lot of recurring characters, but this new one is a weird spinoff thing where a bunch of those characters are in daycare or something

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

So SU is in between sitting on a whole/half season and releasing it all at once, and releasing it as they're produced? Especially since the more recent batches are basically solid narrative arcs or episodes placed in between them.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that there's probably a logical reason. Whether it's good or bad is a matter of actual measurable metrics that are obviously not available to any of us here (unless they work at CN and have access to their stream metrics system), so it's kinda moot to say if it's good or bad. And before anyone cites fan outcry, that's not a metric and likely doesn't correlate to any of CN's.

What's generally believed is that CN and Disney are looking at how people (Especially kids) consume content and see that many people don't consume shows week-to-week, and instead, will find the show they want to watch on a streaming service and binge it all at once. As a result, CN and Disney have placed less focus on television premier numbers/Nielson ratings, and more on streaming numbers from their apps, websites, and On Demand services. There's a few big advantages to this-they get far more accurate numbers from sites they control as opposed to Neilson ratings, and once a kid is already on the website or the app, they're more likely to watch other shows or play games.

So, what they've started to do is emphasize 'Bomb' formats, with Steven Universe on CN and Star vs the Forces of Evil on Disney being the primary guinea pigs. Instead of airing a single episode every week, they'll air a cluster episodes together, which means that people who watch through streaming episodes will likely watch more episodes at once. The downside, of course, is that when they air a bunch of episodes together, there's greater hiatuses between airings, and Steven Universe has become exceptionally infamous for this, with CN now at the point of only airing a handful of episodes every few months. Star also got it bad (It didn't air a single episode in 2017 that wasn't part of an event or a bomb), but Disney pulled back somewhat this year when they aired the last half of Season 3 week-to-week. (It's also in a lengthy hiatus right now, though that may be more related to it switching channels from Disney XD to the Disney Channel proper).

What's fairly clear though is that while there may be short-term benefits to bombs, the long term effect on Steven Universe has been that fans have been less able or less willing to keep up with the unpredictable update schedule, where months can and will go by with absolutely zero word from CN. It's immensely frustrating to see in action, especially considering how good SU is and how many fans it used to have.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

raditts posted:

Boomerang doesn't show old poo poo anymore, they rebranded a few years ago and now it just shows the trash that's too bad even for Cartoon Network's standards.

they did another revamp (though not a full on rebrand) and they're showing old shows again, with a lot of stuff that was being relegated to the channel now being relegated to the boomerang app instead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What's fairly clear though is that while there may be short-term benefits to bombs, the long term effect on Steven Universe has been that fans have been less able or less willing to keep up with the unpredictable update schedule, where months can and will go by with absolutely zero word from CN. It's immensely frustrating to see in action, especially considering how good SU is and how many fans it used to have.

It's reached the point where people are seriously wondering if CN is trying to starve out the more toxic parts of the fanbase or something, because they're legitimately losing people's interest in the show when it's on hiatus for anything up to a year with radio silence.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I doubt it because other CN shows get this treatment as well

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still think they're trying to copy Disney's mysterious ratings magic, they're just poo poo at it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Human beings thrive on stability and consistency. If TV is CN's dumping ground, just drop a season at once on the app and let TTG run on and on until the wheels of our cars wear to nothing and we come to the end of the world.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What's the actual numbers on this though? People complaining online is not necessarily indicative that there's a significant viewership off of. Only that it happens, but without any evidence that it represents a significant or representative group.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't keep a excel spreadsheet or anything, but it seems like a lot of people who say "I don't even care about SU anymore" sure do pop up to comment whenever the next bomb comes out.

edit: I mean I don't doubt actual viewers a la Nielsen are down, but TV viewership is down for everything these days. I'd be curious to see CN's app data, but then they'll never release that.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 21, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I don't think it's Disney's magic they're trying to replicate, I think its Netflix's.

It's sort of like watching a particularly stupid dog try to outrun a cheetah.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So is they're supposed to be a Craig bomb this week? I checked Wikipedia and a whole bunch of CN schedule pages, but when the time came for it yesterday, Gumball was on instead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ConanThe3rd posted:

I don't think it's Disney's magic they're trying to replicate, I think its Netflix's.

Yeah, it sounds like they're trying to ape the release schedule for Voltron, which has been releasing seasons of 6-7 episodes on a fairly regular basis (about 3 times a year). But Netflix announce the next season's release date just as the current season comes out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, that's the fundamental flaw that both CN and Disney just don't want to address. Generaly speaking even the Netflix "Bombs" are consistant (to the point where they effecticly cut the remaining three(?) seasons of Voltron in half to better get a constant release) where the TV Networks refuse to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, that's the fundamental flaw that both CN and Disney just don't want to address. Generaly speaking even the Netflix "Bombs" are consistant (to the point where they effecticly cut the remaining three(?) seasons of Voltron in half to better get a constant release) where the TV Networks refuse to.

Disney did do that with Star-the second half of the second season was aired together as a month-long bomb in February 2017, the first few episodes of Season 3 were aired as a two-hour event in the summer, and the rest of the first half of Season 3 was aired twice a day for two weeks in November. I wish they'd just stuck with weekly episodes (Which they did go back to for the second half of Season 3 earlier this year), but at least it's better than what CN's done with SU.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I don't keep a excel spreadsheet or anything, but it seems like a lot of people who say "I don't even care about SU anymore" sure do pop up to comment whenever the next bomb comes out.

I mean that's not saying you're not gonna watch it anymore, it's "Man, this insanely trash scheduling makes it really hard to wanna keep up" more than anything for me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think I mentioned in another thread that no one I've talked to who works on these shows can makes sense of the scheduling and believe it's actively hurting their viewership. A friend who worked on SU even gave up trying to catch when their own episodes air. It's not a great sign when the people who actually contribute to the show give up on watching it because of lovely scheduling. (They haven't seen the finished eps, btw. The episodes are not put up on the crew's private server anymore due to all the leaks a while back.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1031981537061826560

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's a shame. He'll be missed.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

:(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are five new episodes of Craig of the Creek on the CN app!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Interesting article here:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1032714543531618304?s=19

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

So Mighty Magiswords had a bunch of episodes released online today, and one of the episodes is an OK KO crossover. At this point I fully expect OK KO to crossover with every CN show ever made, and possible every Adult Swim show.

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1032850423684595712

Thundersword238 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 24, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Disney did do that with Star-the second half of the second season was aired together as a month-long bomb in February 2017, the first few episodes of Season 3 were aired as a two-hour event in the summer, and the rest of the first half of Season 3 was aired twice a day for two weeks in November. I wish they'd just stuck with weekly episodes (Which they did go back to for the second half of Season 3 earlier this year), but at least it's better than what CN's done with SU.

I remember one of the Star Vs announcement tweets admitted that the fans were getting angry about the radio silence.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm told dogs and cheetahs get along great, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1034214807828803584?s=19

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

We couldn’t be more excited to work with him as we continue expanding our adult animated slate.
Now that's certainly interesting.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Zag Studios just put out a bunch of Miraculous chibi shorts. They're mildly WHY THE gently caress AREN'T YOU PUTTING ALL YOUR EFFORT INTO FINISHING THE REGULAR EPISODES amusing, I guess.

(Gee, what a coincidence that the Burger King chibi toy promotion is happening right now!)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Different studio makes those. No impact on the CG studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh hey sneak preview of the new Young Justice: Outsiders on DC's streaming service.

Looks like another timeskip, with Barbara Gordon/Batgirl as Oracle and Dick as Nightwing (with maybe some kind of Spyral mention since he's got the eye things?) If you liked Young Justice you'll like this from the looks of this. A hell of a lot better than the Titans series at least.