Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
#2. "I can tell your heart isn't in this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Time to question our opponent's unease.

quote:

"I can tell your heart isn't in this."

"Yeah, since we got talking I got doubts," Tumbleweed Jack says. "And its clear you ain't gonna back down neither. So let's just not do this then."

He begins to back away and lifts his hand away from his pistol.

1. Let him go.
Try and arrest him.

quote:

"I ain't going to jail," Tumbleweed says and pointedly returns a hand to his pistol.
Let him retreat
Gun him down before he gets away
2. Gun him down anyway.

Tumbleweed Jack has had a change of heart, so what now?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
1. Let him go.

I think we've made our point here.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If we let him go, he remains a danger to the community and we are the Marshal. Plus, he's admitted to killing other Marshals. You are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent, but we're enjoying the talking and hope you'll keep it up. You have the right to an attorney, if one can be found out here on the frontier.

Sorry, missed the bit if you try to arrest him. Go ahead and shoot him if he's going to resist.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 20, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Let him go.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Shoot him, he's confessed to being a wandering murderer.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Shoot him after we try to arrest him

We can't let criminals go. We have to make a name for ourselves and tell the town that criminality and lawlessness will not be tolerated.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

If we let him go, he remains a danger to the community and we are the Marshal. Plus, he's admitted to killing other Marshals. You are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent, but we're enjoying the talking and hope you'll keep it up. You have the right to an attorney, if one can be found out here on the frontier.

Sorry, missed the bit if you try to arrest him. Go ahead and shoot him if he's going to resist.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

achtungnight posted:

We are the Law, after all.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Try to arrest, then Shoot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Avalerion posted:

Try to arrest, then Shoot.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We are a US Marshal and we have a job to do.

quote:

Try and arrest him.

"I ain't going to jail," Tumbleweed says and pointedly returns a hand to his pistol.

Let him retreat.
Gun him down then before he gets away.

quote:

"For Brian," he says as he jerks his pistol free.

Your pistol clears its holster well ahead of the gunfighter. Indeed, Tumbleweed hesitates for a moment that seems to take forever. Then the thunderclap of a revolver sounds out and he collapses amid the street still clutching his arm.

You glance back toward the office and find a wreath of blue smoke about Schmidt. The Prospector readily meets your gaze, "He weren't gonna go away. Now maybe he will."

Tumbleweed Jack groans as you approach. You've got plenty of rounds left to fire and his gun lies well off to the side.

Shoot to kill.
Get the truth.

quote:

As the first of your words leave your lips, Tumbleweed Jack throws up a hand, "I'll tell, I'll tell. A little silver ain't worth dying over."

He lurches into the shade then sits down with a thud upon the porch of your office and begins to bind his wound.

Wait.

quote:

Tumbleweed lurches into the shade then sits down with a thud upon the porch of your office and begins to bind his wound, "Let me guess, you want to know the truth. Well, I'll tell you, Marshal, cause all the silver in the world ain't worth dying over.

We had more back-up than Jack could handle, but at least he's still alive. We're trying to arrest him, so let's get some answers.

quote:

"So, tell me, who sent you here?"

"Don't rightly know," Tumbleweed begins. "Honest, I don't. There's this mailbox in Elko that I check in on every couple months. This last time there was this here letter and a nice stack of silver."

He pulls a letter, bloodied at the edges, from his vest pocket and passes it over. It informs Mister Jack Kent, also known as Tumbleweed, that a new marshal has been appointed for Lander county and that they are due to arrive in Preston Springs on or around the fourteenth of June. Today, in fact.

Someone didn't want you here.

The letter is unsigned but the style of writing is a breezy sort with lush loops for each 'l'; Distinctive at the very least.

"Is it true about your brother back in Kansas?"

"Sure is," Tumbleweed nods as he passes over a second bloodied letter. "See for yourself."

It is an old bit of parchment adorned with thick black ink that flows in a sweeping cursive style that approaches the monks of old. It is from his mother and details the sad death of his brother at the hands of four Marshalls. An odd spelling there, but then the lady had clearly been raised in the south and their conventions have always been unique.

However…

quote:

"You said your brother had been strung up by four marshals?"
Tumbleweed Jack nods, "Yeah, four marshals did him in. Says right there.

"Your mother seems an educated woman, or at least a good speller."
"Yeah, what of it?" Jack asks. "So what if she spells marshals with two l's instead of one? I mean…I don't follow ya."

quote:

"Marshall can be a family name can't it?"
"Well, yeah, there a few around…" Tumbleweed's eyes abruptly dart about in sudden and terrible understanding. "Those…four men were from the Marshall family? They weren't U.S. Marshals?"

His breath comes short as the implications sink in.

quote:

"Perhaps you best you write your mother back, for clarity."
"I killed three men.…" he sputters. "I…dear Lord, what have I done?"

Then he begins to cry. By the time he recovers a shred of his wits, the sun has set.

"I promise to make amends." Tumbleweed Jack tells you without reservation. "Whatever you need, I'll do."

"Yeah, you killed how many men? And for what?"
Jack begins to weep. By the time he recovers a shred of his wits, the sun has set."

"I promise to make amends," Tumbleweed Jack tells you without reservation. "Whatever you need, I'll do."

"Let's talk about this later."
"Let's move on."

"Were you really going to kill me?"
"Yeah, yeah I would've," Tumbleweed admits. "And that'd be another mark against me in the big book. The Almighty…I ain't never getting into heaven now. I'll be lucky to see a glimmer before the devil takes me."

"Well, that's all I need to know."

quote:

Tumbleweed Jack, a known murderer who came to run you off or shoot you down, sits before you and awaits judgment.

1. Arrest him.
2. Send him to Elko to investigate the post box where he got the letter from. I need to know who was behind this.
3. Shoot him.
4. Just let him go.

Tumbleweed Jack: Murdered Three US Marshals as part of a vendetta against the wrong people. What do we do with him now?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

The man is willing to make contrition. While he will pay his piper, we need to figure out what's going on and he's willing to help us. We can make use of this and hopefully this will let us get a bit of an idea what's up. And then we can determine his sentence - he'll probably let us arrest him at that point.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

1. Arrest him., that was the point from the start after all.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

This guy is clearly unstable, and a killer. If we send him out of our sight he will run. He should hang for his crimes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wedgekree posted:

The man is willing to make contrition. While he will pay his piper, we need to figure out what's going on and he's willing to help us. We can make use of this and hopefully this will let us get a bit of an idea what's up. And then we can determine his sentence - he'll probably let us arrest him at that point.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I'm torn on this one. One hand, it would be awful nice to see who wants us dead. On the other hand, this man has murdered 3 federal agents.

1. Arrest Him

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do remember that we are someone that killed someone at the start, and who was pretty mouthy to everyone on the way down. This does NOT strike me as a person who particularly cares about doing things by the book. #2, let's get some more information.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Keldulas posted:

I do remember that we are someone that killed someone at the start, and who was pretty mouthy to everyone on the way down. This does NOT strike me as a person who particularly cares about doing things by the book. #2, let's get some more information.

This.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If we let him go he's only going to go find the closest people named 'Marshall' and murder them. We are not dealing with the sharpest crayon in the drawer here. 1.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Lone Badger posted:

If we let him go he's only going to go find the closest people named 'Marshall' and murder them. We are not dealing with the sharpest crayon in the drawer here. 1.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I don't give a drat about his previous murders, and I don't care if he kills some Marshalls, as long as he doesn't do it in my town.
But I do want to know who the hell sent him to kill us.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 2. Send him to Elko to investigate the post box where he got the letter from. I need to know who was behind this.

Might as well start building a posse; that's how these games work right? At the final showdown, the more back-up we have, the better the ending?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Putting him to work just narrowly edges out putting him away.

quote:

Send him to Elko to investigate the post box where he got the letter from. I need to know who was behind this.

"You want what?" Tumbleweed Jack blinks in astonishment. "I…killed three men and you're letting me do what?"

(Law reduced) (-5 Law, -2 Order)

"I need someone who won't rouse suspicions to look into things in Elko, that means you."
"I'm not letting you, I'm ordering you. If you don't come through for me, I or some of my kin will head out to Kansas and make you wish you had."
"You are right. I can't do that."

Vote was close enough that we're not going to let him off easy.

quote:

"I'm not letting you, I'm ordering you. If you don't come through for me, I or some of my kin will head out to Kansas and make you wish you had."

"You sure know how to motivate me," Tumbleweed nods slowly. "So, yeah, I'll do all I can for you in Elko."

He leaves for Elko straight away and rides off into the dusk. You spend the whole night listening to the ruckus from the nearby saloons, wondering if you'll have to follow through on the threat. Kansas is a long way away.

(Order slightly increased) (+2 Order)

Morning comes and with it, breakfast. Hardtack is always around but the best way to eat it is with bacon grease. Carson is more than willing to supply a little beef fat in lieu of that, with a bit of beef thrown in. Coffee is always a good start as well, which Schmidt is more than willing to brew himself.

You are just getting started with things when a young boy of about seven winters scurries up to your lack of a door and gives a knock.

"Miss Marshal?" he asks in a quiet voice that bears just a hint of a lisp. "I got this note for you."

The child passes over a simple slip of white paper, folded clean along the center and dry as a bone. The words are simple to read: 'Kindly come to the Babylon for breakfast.' The note is signed JT Preston.

"JT Preston…he's a wealthy man about these parts, though only of silver and gold," Carson notes.

"It ain't so bad being rich of riches," Schmidt reminds his friend.

"Only for this world."

The messenger boy races off and leaves you with the note in hand.

1. Go right next door to the Babylon Saloon.
2. Wait a little while before heading over to the Babylon Saloon.
3. Finish my breakfast first, then head over.
4. Don't go.

Free food! :toot:

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

He can wait a little bit before we head on over.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go on over. Let’s meet the local wealth.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Go on over

No reason to be unfriendly. Lets try to make friends, not enemies.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'd vote 3 but his food's probably better than what we got.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 3. Finish my breakfast first, then head over.

"I'm the Marshal of these here parts, citizen, not to be confused for a lapdog at your beck and call. Now, what was so important that you needed to interrupt my working class honest person breakfast?"

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Avalerion posted:

I'd vote 3 but his food's probably better than what we got.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We don't need to jump when someone comes calling, but he's probably got something more interesting than hardtack and lard.

quote:

Wait a little while before heading over to the Babylon Saloon.

You pause to finish your coffee and mind the dregs before you step on over to the Babylon.

With a name like the Babylon you expect the air of the exotic and you are not disappointed.

Colored glass windows turns the sunlit interior into a blindman's crazy quilt with shifting pools of radiance that dance along the length of the mahogany bar. A thousand and one bottles of blown glass, each filled with varying spirits, line the far wall upon a black velvet blanket. A full silver mirror perches above the whole of that and reflects the glory of it all right back down.

The scent of incense, jasmine and cinnamon, fills the air. A faint harmony of wind chimes sings out in a passing breeze, and beneath your boots there is not a hint of sand or dust.

"If I was gonna die, I'd want to die here," Schmidt says as he basks in the grandeur.

"Well, it does live up to its name," Carson agrees and shifts uncomfortably at the decadence.

At the far end of the saloon waits a table complete with a white lace cover and polished silverware. The man ensconced at the head of it wears a lion's grin as he regards you. "You must be Miss Shen Ruolan, the new Marshal," he says knowingly as he leans back in his chair and brushes idly at a trimmed mustache, "and I, of course, am J.T. Preston. Founder of this happy little town. I heard some gunshots earlier. Hope it wasn't anyone I knew."

Ivory touched cufflinks clink at his wrists while a solid gold pocket-watch rests comfortably in his silk trimmed vest. Below the table buff black shoes meet hand pressed suit-pants. If the man suffered to bring this town into being, he certainly hides it well.

A quartet of rough looking men in dark brown dusters idly sips at coffee near the entrance. Four potent shotguns rest on a shelf nearby. Bodyguards by any other name.

"Come, have a seat," Mister Preston says and motions you over to his table. "Miss MacMurphy makes a mean set of hash so feel free to fill a plate."

quote:

Preston glances behind you and finds you bracketed by Schmidt and Carson, "Of course, Mister Schmidt and his colleague would be welcome to sit and eat as well. As a former candidate for Sheriff, I bear him no ill will. Indeed, so long as he remembers what a fork is for, he would be welcome in the Babylon."

Schmidt coughs into his hand and says softly to Carson, "I was drunk as a skunk last time."

"I don't doubt you," Carson agrees smoothly.

"I don't believe we've been properly introduced," Preston calls over to the Cowboy.

"I'm Ben Carson, of Albion Falls. And you're right, we hadn't been."

Preston looks to you expectantly as he offers both a hand and a seat.

1. Shake hands and reluctantly take a seat opposite Preston.
2. Take a seat and fill up a plate.
3. Refuse to take a seat.
4. Go to the bar.
5. Wait for him to pull out a chair.

Time to make a first impression.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
So, does the game assume that Schmidt and Carson are just our deputies now?

Vote: 5. Wait for him to pull out a chair.

Because we're a Lady dammit; we also pack a gun, and, we know how to use it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m surprised Schmidt & Carson can hang around this long too.

Take a seat, fill up a plate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is a great CYOA, I particularly like how closely integrated the two companions are. Is it possible to not have either, but most likely that you'll have at least one?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hell yeah, second breakfast.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

No need to let good food go to waste. And lets hear what the man has to say. Never hurts to listen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Free food!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sparkmaster posted:

No need to let good food go to waste. And lets hear what the man has to say. Never hurts to listen.

This.

Thinking about coffee and hash has made me hungry for breakfast now :(