Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

dinahmoe posted:

My senior year in college I interned at a record company, and also worked at an apple orchard. I was allowed to take home as many leftover cider donuts that I could carry. I would bring them to Polygram and toast them up every Monday morning. Got a solid A+ on my internship semester.

:same:

In high school, I worked in a bakery that made soft pretzels. I would intentionally overrun by a couple of dozen (hey, in a run of 10,000 you didn't notice. Usually lost at least that many to the oven), and take them up the street to the bar after work. There was usually great rejoicing by the bar crowd, and the bartender let me drink cheap 3.2% draft for free for the rest of the night.

E: Ooops top of page

Used to get a few like this.

BlankIsBeautiful has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hellhound Turd on a Hubcap

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Bloop, meet The Blorp

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Haifisch posted:

Mmm, gelatin dogs.

Hot Deep Fat

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

stupidest chip flavour in my area lately:

I really could taste the beans in it, and that was extremely weird, but probably not as weird as the general tso ones someone else posted.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Hot Deep Fat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

The Bloop, meet The Blorp

Not a fan

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

no, it's a blorp

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bike tory posted:

I think it takes literally weeks of heating to make it

Traditionally yeah it's kept at a constant heat for like 60-90 days.

There's a 3-day crockpot and apparently a 6 hour pressure cooker method that a chef here in Madison created.

quote:

Wrap unpeeled garlic, either full heads of whole cloves, in aluminum foil. Then put a damp towel in the bottom of a crock pot, add the wrapped garlic, and cover with another damp towel. Put the lid on the crock pot and wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap to contain steam. Put the crock pot on high (around 180F) and go for at least 24 hours, more depending on how dark you want to go.

This is the jist of the 3 day method. Haven't been able to hunt down the 6 hour one. I keep forgetting to just to go bother him in person.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Well, I do have a crockpot. Hmmmm.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of wrapping the whole thing could you just use a few layers of plastic wrap as like a gasket and bungie cord the lid on tightly?

How would black garlic stand up to being used to infuse olive oil?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Edit: Wrong thread, move along.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

it's watermelon ham

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

PubicMice posted:

it's watermelon ham

Hammermelon

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PubicMice posted:

it's watermelon ham

I would try it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

:randno:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Looks like they've got Mountain Dew or Meat Soda.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

dudeness posted:

dudeness posted:

Ewww ewww bluggghhh ewww! I’ll have the meat soda.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

obvious plant godbless

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Helith posted:

I love chips, but these are a step too far.
They are oddly sweet and have a strong chemical aftertaste.
Not recommended.
Cucumber water though is good.
I finally tried these and liked them. They were a tad sweet--think cucumber Gatorade instead of quick pickles. But they were moreish for sure.

I did find a bunch of fun flavors in Canada, including dill pickle Doritos and more of those blue beef Doritos (the Jurassic World tie-in) and "street food" flavors of Lay's chips in Grilled Cheese, Pizza, and Taco :geno:. Salt & Vinegar Goldfish. Ketchup Pringles. And Hawkins Cheezies, yay! (At a 7-Eleven right before we crossed back into the States, no less. At least they're nearby if I wind up loving them.)

Zipperelli. posted:

Also, I still want to try that pinecone beer. I'll Venmo/PP someone to send me a can - I'll even write a trip report! :v:
I wish so hard that I could hook you up, but I didn't find any outside a couple of very traditional Quebecois restaurants. :( I wanted more myself! I did have some of the fresher stuff brewed more traditionally right there in Montreal, and while it was fantastic, this is mostly just a lead-up to my contribution of AFP:

Boudin with sauteed apple, which I ordered because it had gotten good reviews, not because I particularly like blood sausage. But it was strangely, pleasantly crispy, and eating a piece of apple with each bite rounded out the flavor a bit. The spruce beer didn't hurt.

I also enjoyed some amazing ramen with black-garlic oil, speaking of. And we stopped at the flagship Wegmans store in Rochester on the way back. :allears: Almost made the two days spent with my completely insufferable in-laws worthwhile...almost.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I found an American supplier for pinecone juice, kind of expensive though.

https://www.specialtysodas.com/collections/empire-bottling-works/products/empire-bottling-works-spruce-beer-12oz-glass-bottle

amazon has a bunch of spruce extracts if you want to try making your own.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

I finally tried these and liked them. They were a tad sweet--think cucumber Gatorade instead of quick pickles. But they were moreish for sure.

I did find a bunch of fun flavors in Canada, including dill pickle Doritos and more of those blue beef Doritos (the Jurassic World tie-in) and "street food" flavors of Lay's chips in Grilled Cheese, Pizza, and Taco :geno:. Salt & Vinegar Goldfish. Ketchup Pringles. And Hawkins Cheezies, yay! (At a 7-Eleven right before we crossed back into the States, no less. At least they're nearby if I wind up loving them.)

I wish so hard that I could hook you up, but I didn't find any outside a couple of very traditional Quebecois restaurants. :( I wanted more myself! I did have some of the fresher stuff brewed more traditionally right there in Montreal, and while it was fantastic, this is mostly just a lead-up to my contribution of AFP:

Boudin with sauteed apple, which I ordered because it had gotten good reviews, not because I particularly like blood sausage. But it was strangely, pleasantly crispy, and eating a piece of apple with each bite rounded out the flavor a bit. The spruce beer didn't hurt.

I also enjoyed some amazing ramen with black-garlic oil, speaking of. And we stopped at the flagship Wegmans store in Rochester on the way back. :allears: Almost made the two days spent with my completely insufferable in-laws worthwhile...almost.

Pork and apple actually pair very well (think pork chops and apple sauce) because their flavor compounds scientifically complement one another.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Pork and apple actually pair very well (think pork chops and apple sauce) because their flavor compounds scientifically complement one another.
Sure--I love pork sausage and apple--but this sausage is essentially spiced blood and lard. The apple helped me not think about that fact too much.

uber_stoat posted:

https://www.specialtysodas.com/collections/empire-bottling-works/products/empire-bottling-works-spruce-beer-12oz-glass-bottle

Excellent--thank you!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

gently caress.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Make a 6000x batch and you'd have enough salsa to secure a motorcycle.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But how else am I supposed to make the salsa stick to the chips? :confused:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

uber_stoat posted:

I've had a few US beers made with "spruce tips" but idk if that's the same flavor

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Sure--I love pork sausage and apple--but this sausage is essentially spiced blood and lard. The apple helped me not think about that fact too much.

I looove blood sausages. Black pudding is okay, I like Polish kishka or Korean soondae a lot more though. Soondae is so good with glass noodles mixed in.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Okay what even is that he's biting? An egg? What is the context here?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PubicMice posted:

Okay what even is that he's biting? An egg? What is the context here?

New and bigger kitchen in a new and bigger place, two successful years of producing content, a million subscribers also i think?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Living with relatives and noticed a stonk smell earlier while being an insomniac piece of poo poo alone in my room.

Way more egg pieces laying about in a 4 foot radius around the pot.
Not sure how long they've been the stove. Maybe 3 hours?

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Aug 22, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Those just got forgotten about and boiled down until they exploded?

Speaking about forgotten pots, I had a college roomie that had a tendency to wash pots then just set them back on the stove top. She also had a tendency to cook drunk and sometimes forgot about the finished product. I got back from spring break a day before her and I grabbed the pot on the stove to make some pasta, pulled the lid off...

And was hit by an unholy stench. She’d made rice and beans at some point and forgotten about them. They were this slick, slimy gray by then and smelled like death liberally sprinkled with adobo spice.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
How did they taste?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LadyPictureShow posted:

Those just got forgotten about and boiled down until they exploded?

Looks like it. One exploded spectacularly, wish I had seen that one go with my camera ready.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MariusLecter posted:

New and bigger kitchen in a new and bigger place, two successful years of producing content, a million subscribers also i think?
Three million:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoP-Apzrsg

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1031928143957897221

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dang that is one well-hidden Obvious Plant logo, I'm just gonna keep looking for a while