Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Rhaegar posted:

Fantastic. Both the Cawl and the terrain. What was your technique for the terrain? I’m about to start mine.

I'm curious about that as well. That looks like... brown on the walls, blue on the metal, and then possibly different washes on each (or just a wash on the metal), and then an all-over drybrush with a light warm grey or cream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Fyrbrand posted:

Yeah no offense man, but I agree with this. Stop theory-painting and stressing about doing it perfectly or whatever. JUST PAINT. It's fun and good and the more you do the better you'll get, promise.

Bucnasti posted:

Acquiring new things to paint is the easiest part of this hobby, you are going to have a huge backlog before you know it so stop thinking about painting and just start painting. Don't worry about color matching or consistency, just start laying down different colors and seeing how they work. Mix paint together on the pallets and see how the colors interact. Try different types of brushes and different techniques. When you're done, take some pics to track your progress, then drop them in some stripper and do it all again. The only way to get better at painting is to just paint.

Sorry. I guess it's just that I fret about jumping ahead to something that's really difficult, and messing up on it. I know you can strip it, but I'd rather just work forward and have the ones I messed up on serve as a milestone. I'm more worried about messing up the assembly, since the first Space Marine I did ended up with a bobble-head because I messed up with the super-glue.

Anyway, I did go ahead and paint, and the orcs and Guardians are done.

There are some mistakes, and I forgot to apply a shade to some of the swords, but I think the orcs came out really nice. The Guardians are unshaded, and the Naggaroth Night color for the helmet on the alternate color one ended up being too dark for what I intended. I also think I didn't thin it real well when doing the helmets. I still need to base them.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Rhaegar posted:

Fantastic. Both the Cawl and the terrain. What was your technique for the terrain? I’m about to start mine.

Stephenls posted:

I'm curious about that as well. That looks like... brown on the walls, blue on the metal, and then possibly different washes on each (or just a wash on the metal), and then an all-over drybrush with a light warm grey or cream?

Thanks, painting them was extremely simple. I basically followed the guide on Warhammer TV. The metals don't look quite so blue in person, as the LEDs I used to light the photos tend to give things a bit of a bluish hue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEAA9PhxZ-s

Which boils down to:
1. Base Zandri Dust
2. Drybrush the stone with Ushabti Bone.
3. Wash the stone with Agrax Earthshade
4. Paint the metals Leadbelcher
5. Wash the metals with Agrax Earthshade, and then with Nuln Oil
6. Drybrush the metals with Necron Compound
7. Light drybrush everything with Screaming Skull

For the full Sector Imperials terrain, there's also details on the flooring and golden metals in that video, but the six pieces I painted didn't have any of those details.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Drive-by cross posting!

Groetgaffel posted:

My Eschtachan project slowly continues, and I just finished two Company Commanders.

Just 30 guardsmen left. :negative:

I'm pretty pleased with these to be honest, although silly as it may sound, what I'm without a doubt the most pleased with is the ork skull on one of the bases:

It turned out incredibly well, if I do say so myself.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I just opened up the Primaris Intercessors, and I found out they have transfer sheet in them.

I haven't done any of those yet. Do you need anything special for them, or can you just stick them on?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Max Wilco posted:

I just opened up the Primaris Intercessors, and I found out they have transfer sheet in them.

I haven't done any of those yet. Do you need anything special for them, or can you just stick them on?

https://youtu.be/RIA-EdSUuFE

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I tend to use white vinegar for adhering transfers. Duncan's video goes over the basics of it, namely gloss-coat first, but instead of water on the glossed area I use vinegar. The acidity of it helps dissolve the translucent areas a bit, making for a smoother look overall (and stronger too, I feel).

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
If you feel like it, go get a bottle of micro-sol and use it along with white vinegar like Slimnoid suggested.

Gloss coat first, soak your transfer in a little water, paint some vinegar onto the model and slide the transfer from the paper backing onto the model. Position it with the side of a brush, dab away the excess liquid and then dab a couple drops of micro-sol over the top. Put it aside for 15 minutes, then check out how it looks. If it's wrinkly, dab a little more micro-sol over the top. The micro-sol will melt the transfer and get it to conform to the shape of the model, really great for shoulder pads and other awkward shapes that the decal doesn't naturally fit onto.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
There's also the nuclear option of using Solvaset, if you absolutely want to glue that motherfucker of a decal down.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Kill team's small model count has given me hope of someday finishing a playable force, so I finally got around to finishing my tacticool Primaris sized scout.

Obviously a lot of rough edges there, but I'm learning a lot. I think I'm going to cast a torso and some bits when going for a whole squad. And just use Reiver legs, recasting them is too much hassle.
Also forgot to finish his bolt pistol i see :v:

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Duct Tape posted:

Belisarius Cawl, the model that drew me into Adeptus Mechanicus, is finally done! Also wrapped up six pieces of ruins terrain.

I was afraid to paint him for the longest time just cause he's go so many tiny details. But it turns out that he's a lot easier than I thought. Not really any more complicated than a Tech-Priest Dominus, just bigger.

Seconding this Cawl looking amazing. Mind sharing the metals and the red recipes?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Genghis Cohen posted:

Quick question for the experts on here: can I paint metallics over a grey primer? I know it is unworkable over white , but I've never really primed anything but black before.

Just need to know whether to lay down a black base coat under all the metal parts of the models which I am sitting down to paint now. Really should have primed them black!

Citadel paints, if it makes any difference.

Wait what? I have never heard this "no metallic over white" thing before. I paint metal over white all the time and it looks....metallic, like I would expect it to.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It depends on the specific metallic paint and its pigment content etc. Some metallics are terrible and need to go over certain colours or they don't show up properly.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Harkano posted:

Seconding this Cawl looking amazing. Mind sharing the metals and the red recipes?

Thanks! A couple posts above yours for the metals on the terrain. The metals on Cawl himself are simply Leadbelcher + Nuln Oil or Retributor Armor + Nuln Oil.

For Cawl's cloak, I followed the same steps as my Skitarii cloaks, with an additional edge highlight of Fire Dragon Bright along the very tips.

Duct Tape posted:

I've had a couple people ask how I paint my Skitarii cloaks. So I threw together this to show exactly how I do it.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Anyone have experience with Green Stuff World's textured rolling pins for making custom bases? I'm looking at their Factory Ground or Double Diamond for Genestealer Cult and some custom objective markers, as well as Alien Hive for Tyranid (someday).

I love the idea of being able to roll out custom bases that look consistent between models. However, aside from their promo pictures, I can't find too many pictures or videos of people using them for mini bases, and haven't found any that really inspire the sense of "I need to build and paint that one".

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

Anyone have experience with Green Stuff World's textured rolling pins for making custom bases? I'm looking at their Factory Ground or Double Diamond for Genestealer Cult and some custom objective markers, as well as Alien Hive for Tyranid (someday).

I love the idea of being able to roll out custom bases that look consistent between models. However, aside from their promo pictures, I can't find too many pictures or videos of people using them for mini bases, and haven't found any that really inspire the sense of "I need to build and paint that one".

I'd probably just buy some diamond tread plasticard instead of that diamond tread roller. While their rollers are OK, I feel like your best solution if you want custom bases that are consistent and don't cost as much as resin bases you should take your time building 10 or 15 bases, then cast them yourself.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Duct Tape posted:

I use the Egyptian textured rolling pin from GSW. It's great. Here's a few bases I used Sculpey III and the rolling pin for.

And not a base, but the rolling pin was used

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I've had bad luck layering cloaks, maybe I'll give drybrushing a chance.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Wonder if that's why my metallic silver goes over anything, but my metallic black needs a black coat first or it ends up looking like a metallic wash?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Happy Seppuku's stamps are also pretty good and cheap if you just want to do basic textures.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've had bad luck layering cloaks, maybe I'll give drybrushing a chance.

Thin your paints down to the point where they're basically glazes, and wet blend with flow retarder. That's how I do mine.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Arson Fire posted:

Took a bit longer than I originally planned, but I finished my second box of custodes.

Custodes that aren't just Goldar from the Power Rangers look drat good

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Finished my first Reiver for Kill Team. 1 more and then another Intercessor for NOVA needed.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bonds0097 posted:

Finished my first Reiver for Kill Team. 1 more and then another Intercessor for NOVA needed.

I didn’t even realize Prince Valiant was a Lamenter...

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Got a piece of terrain flocked up for my jungle ruins themed kill team board.

The eventual plan is to fill an entire kill team sized board with darkened water effects, slime it up like swamp water, then use the assorted terrain pieces as ‘islands’ in the middle of a boggy swamp. Working on a ruined temple section right now, and also a couple shipping containers that will be sanded down at an angle so it looks like they’re slowly sinking into the muck.

As this is going be to personal terrain for a very small model count game, I’m thinking I can use somewhat delicate stuff like Spanish moss in trees and lots of reeds and water grass on the terrain without worrying about randos mashing it to bits with their elephant fingers moving around 500 pewter orks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you guys use commercial airbrush cleaning solution (like Iwata), or do you use an alternative like windshield wiper fluid?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I stand by Mr. Hobby Burnt Iron as a base coat for metals. It's a nice darker end metallic, light enough to go up from with glazes and dark enough to work as a base for lower-pigment metals.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you guys use commercial airbrush cleaning solution (like Iwata), or do you use an alternative like windshield wiper fluid?

Iwata is cheap enough and in a good bottle.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bought two big bottles of airbrush cleaner when I got my first airbrush, I'm about halfway through the first one. If I ever run out I'm going to switch to isopropyl alcohol, which is basically what the name brand cleaners are made of.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Badablack posted:

The eventual plan is to fill an entire kill team sized board with darkened water effects, slime it up like swamp water, then use the assorted terrain pieces as ‘islands’ in the middle of a boggy swamp.
Current piece looks great, and that's a super cool idea! Please share all your progress!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
WIP of my warlord. Needs a final varnish coat, basing, and maybe some pigments around the feet. Currently leaning towards some tizca style basing like in the warhammer world burning of prospero diorama.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
So it looks like GW munitorum varnish has loving wrecked the 9 termagants I was slowly painting over the last two weeks. I'm really disappointed because I was really happy with the way they looked and tbh since they're plastic troops it's not like they really needed the varnish anyway.

Not sure where I went wrong. Can was shaken for a good 5mins, humidity 60%, can was 8ish inches, short bursts. Did not think I was applying too much either, but watched them grey up in front of my eyes anyway

Any advice to bring them back? I've read a lot of ways from spraying again, painting on a matte coat,rubbing with olive oil (not sure if this was a troll or not).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Spray a gloss coat over the affected areas.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
What's the airbrush recipe for spraying Vallejo gloss varnish? Equal parts water and varnish?

I've finally managed to get candy-coating looking the way I want, so now I want to make sure it's durable.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just blast it through straight, no dilution, 35-40psi.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've been using 90% rubbing alcohol for the past month or two and it's worked fine. Granted, it's only marginally cheaper than branded airbrush cleaner, so YMMV.

glitchkrieg posted:

What's the airbrush recipe for spraying Vallejo gloss varnish? Equal parts water and varnish?

I've finally managed to get candy-coating looking the way I want, so now I want to make sure it's durable.

I also do my varnish straight. You could go fairly light and let it dry between coats if you want to be really sure it's not going to fog, but I've only had that issue with my matte varnishes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booley posted:

WIP of my warlord. Needs a final varnish coat, basing, and maybe some pigments around the feet. Currently leaning towards some tizca style basing like in the warhammer world burning of prospero diorama.

Jesus, that's nice.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
X-posting my Kill Team:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

re: airbrush cleaning, I have a bottle of the vellejo stuff and then a bottle of just plain water. 90% of flushing everything out can just be done with the water (also between colours) and then save the pricy stuff for the end to get it properly clean

Also rad mans on the last couple of pages, good job everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Yeah, I got a big bottle of the Vallejo stuff and I give the brush a squirt of that, hose it out with water, and then a little bit more of the Vallejo to finish the job.