Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Booley posted:

You'll need to make the graphics yourself, but these guys seem to do a good job printing. Their sheets are more expensive than fallout but also way bigger.
https://www.bedlamcreations.com/custom-waterslide-decals/

Can vouch for the quality of badlam decals, supposedly they'll create your artwork for you at an additional cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

Can vouch for the quality of badlam decals, supposedly they'll create your artwork for you at an additional cost.

Glad to know they're quality since I'll be going to them for titanicus decals soon. What was their turnaround time?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Booley posted:

Glad to know they're quality since I'll be going to them for titanicus decals soon. What was their turnaround time?

I'd have to check my emails but I think it was like ten days maybe two weeks at the most, Josh responded to my initial request within hours on a weekend and had me a proof like 4-5 days later.

The sheet is enormous, like 2.5 times the size of the decal sheet that came in the renegade box set.

The only thing is that the decals are not separated on the sheet like the GW decals are so you have to carefully cut them out your self if you have tight fitting spots to place them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What size is the black knob on the 105?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What size is the black knob on the 105?

0.35 iirc

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What would you recommend for a wash or ink on this? I already tried Army Painter green ink on another and it looked like poo poo. Maybe my bottle is bad.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Cross posting from the WH49k thread, my conversion and paint job for the best character in 40k, Merek Grimaldus

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Finally finished these boys up!

What I learned:
  • Edge-highlighting is tricky. Too thin and they don't really have an impact, too thick and they look cartoonish. I think that I erred on the side of two thin on these guys and they kinda got washed out after the weathering and varnish.

• Matte varnish can dull down colors. These guys were a lot shinier and deeper red before I sealed them up. I still like the color and actually think it gives them a "dusty" look which fits the environment I'm going for, but something that I'll have to be aware of in the future. Would gloss varnish have the same effect?

• You have to strike a balance with weathering. I wanted these guys to look like they've been through some poo poo, so I think the amount of weathering is fine, but it seems really easy to go overboard.

Any C+C is welcome, especially photography tips! I am using a home-made light box and pixel 2, but I still feel like I could do a better job.

Next project is a squad of Death Company. For those guys I'm planning on trying out some layering techniques I picked up from this Kujo painting vid. We'll see how it goes.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

What would you recommend for a wash or ink on this? I already tried Army Painter green ink on another and it looked like poo poo. Maybe my bottle is bad.

Ink by itself isn't designed to function like a wash. You'd want to water it down more and add a flow improver, Future, or just a brushtip touch or so of liquid dish soap. That should allow it to flow into just the low areas better.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ink is just liquid pigment.

Washes are pigment, medium, and flow improver.

When people say Army Painter washes, they are talking about their line of Quickshade Washes.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Just did this Grave Robber from Darkest Dungeon. It's a fan made thing so not the best sculpt, especially the face, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

darnon posted:

Ink by itself isn't designed to function like a wash. You'd want to water it down more and add a flow improver, Future, or just a brushtip touch or so of liquid dish soap. That should allow it to flow into just the low areas better.

dexefiend posted:

Ink is just liquid pigment.

Washes are pigment, medium, and flow improver.

When people say Army Painter washes, they are talking about their line of Quickshade Washes.

:doh:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I make my own washes with Liquitex flow improver, water and fountain pen ink. A 6:6:1 ratio of tends to get me where I need to be, but I tend to wash pretty dark.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Working on a Reaper Bones Khanjira. For the final matte varnish should I use Dullcote or brush on varnish (Liquitex probably)? I hit it with Krylon acrylic spray between base coat and highlighting, and it’s a little tacky now. Want to be sure the final varnish coat isn’t sticky and I know Bones is a weird thing sometimes.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Army Painter Inks are more about 'glaze' concentration so don't need to dilute them a lot. The Scale 75 Inktensity ones I picked up are nuclear strength by comparison.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mikey Purp posted:

What I learned:

• Matte varnish can dull down colors. These guys were a lot shinier and deeper red before I sealed them up. I still like the color and actually think it gives them a "dusty" look which fits the environment I'm going for, but something that I'll have to be aware of in the future. Would gloss varnish have the same effect?

You definitely don't want gloss, satin is what you're after, it's in between the two

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

head58 posted:

Working on a Reaper Bones Khanjira. For the final matte varnish should I use Dullcote or brush on varnish (Liquitex probably)? I hit it with Krylon acrylic spray between base coat and highlighting, and it’s a little tacky now. Want to be sure the final varnish coat isn’t sticky and I know Bones is a weird thing sometimes.

I'd probably hit it with a gloss first, to kind of bring it to a "default" state before varnishing it. That usually gets rid of the tackiness.

I have no idea how well a lacquer works on Bones models. So to be on the safe side, probably go with Liquitex, especially if you have an airbrush; if you're dead-set on Dullcote though, test it on a cheap Bones model first to see how it reacts.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Buddy got some kickstarter with literally a million trillion Dwarves from Scibor. He let me pick one out for my Dwarf Paladin I'm playing. So here he is. He was supposed to have a sword (I think?) - the baggie had like 2089482 weapons, but I got the maul from a weapon sprue where the hands line up. This left him with an empty sword scabbard, so I used a sword from another mini that came with multiple weapons and just happened to have a sword that I didn't use for him, and it magically fit the scabbard size, so I snipped the blade off. It took me about 10 hours to paint. Probably one of my quickest. I just got into the zone with this dude and had a blast the entire time. He's meant for tabletop so he'll be under a few layers of varnish shortly.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 17, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Philthy posted:

Buddy got some kickstarter with literally a million trillion Dwarves from Scibor. He let me pick one out for my Dwarf Paladin I'm playing. So here he is. He was supposed to have a sword (I think?) - the baggie had like 2089482 weapons, but I got the maul from a weapon sprue where the hands line up. This left him with an empty sword scabbard, so I used a sword from another mini that came with multiple weapons and just happened to have a sword that I didn't use for him, and it magically fit the scabbard size, so I snipped the blade off. It took me about 10 hours to paint. Probably one of my quickest. I just got into the zone with this dude and had a blast the entire time. He's meant for tabletop so he'll be under a few layers of varnish shortly.

:drat:
Larger photos, please.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I painted another orc last night, save for the shield. Tried painting his shirt yellow, which went about as well as I expected. Doesn't look great, but looks okay (I'll try to post a photo later). All that leaves is one unpainted orc, along with another bunch of other small, minor details I need to do on the other minis, along with the shading. The big thing is getting doing their teeth and their eyes, and for the teeth, I don't know what color would work best (I'm guessing a bone color). With the Guardians, I feel like I need a red shade for their armor.

Still thinking about going and getting the Start Collecting Blood Angels box, along with a can of Mephiston Red. I think I'd save myself a lot of time and effort by doing the priming and base painting at once, so I can focus more on the details. At the same time, it occurs to me that I need to also have a jar of the Mephiston Red to touch up any mistakes, and that doing a brush on coat is necessary to get a consistent texture. :sigh:

If I was going to go that route, I was also considering getting some poster tack to wrap on the push-joints, so I can paint all the pieces separately, then assemble them. I don't know for sure, though if the Getting Started kit are push-fit, though. So far, I've not had any mini kits that I've been required to glue together.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 18, 2018

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

I painted another orc last night, save for the shield. Tried painting his shirt yellow, which went about as well as I expected. Doesn't look great, but looks okay (I'll try to post a photo later). All that leaves is one unpainted orc, along with another bunch of other small, minor details I need to do on the other minis, along with the shading. The big thing is getting doing their teeth and their eyes, and for the teeth, I don't know what color would work best (I'm guessing a bone color). With the Guardians, I feel like I need a red shade for their armor.

Still thinking about going and getting the Start Collecting Blood Angels box, along with a can of Mephiston Red. I think I'd save myself a lot of time and effort by doing the priming and base painting at once, so I can focus more on the details. At the same time, it occurs to me that I need to also have a jar of the Mephiston Red to touch up any mistakes, and that doing a brush on coat is necessary to get a consistent texture. :sigh:

If I was going to go that route, I was also considering getting some poster tack to wrap on the push-joints, so I can paint all the pieces separately, then assemble them. I don't know for sure, though if the Getting Started kit are push-fit, though. So far, I've not had any mini kits that I've been required to glue together.

Start Collecting are very much not push fit.

My personal recommendation would be to pick a thing, watch Duncan videos for it and then get the paints he uses (listed in videos) and replicate his technique. That will help you get the fundamentals of thinning, basecoating, washing, layering and edge highlighting. Get the basics down then focus on details. If you can follow along and replicate Duncan's stuff, you will have a very solid base to work from. Also, then you're not spending time worrying about which paints to use and instead are focused on technique and improving your skills.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Quick question for the experts on here: can I paint metallics over a grey primer? I know it is unworkable over white, but I've never really primed anything but black before.

Just need to know whether to lay down a black base coat under all the metal parts of the models which I am sitting down to paint now. Really should have primed them black!

Citadel paints, if it makes any difference.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Genghis Cohen posted:

Quick question for the experts on here: can I paint metallics over a grey primer? I know it is unworkable over white, but I've never really primed anything but black before.

Just need to know whether to lay down a black base coat under all the metal parts of the models which I am sitting down to paint now. Really should have primed them black!

Citadel paints, if it makes any difference.

Yeah, you can. You might need to go over it in a few spots but it's totally doable.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
God to know! Will report my progress.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I'm still brainstorming an idea for a paint scheme for my Wytch cult for Killteam.

One idea I have is having the leader have a split personality, represented by two different models. I was thinking one of the two basically being Harley Quinn. (because shut up) but I keep hitting this block of "I'm leaning towards making them wanna be Harliquins." Wytchs that laugh and whoop as they tear their opponents apart. But at that point why not just make an actual Harlequin team?

Edit: I recently saw the most recent text to speech device and fell in love with French, aristricratic murder clown.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 18, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Start Collecting are very much not push fit.

My personal recommendation would be to pick a thing, watch Duncan videos for it and then get the paints he uses (listed in videos) and replicate his technique. That will help you get the fundamentals of thinning, basecoating, washing, layering and edge highlighting. Get the basics down then focus on details. If you can follow along and replicate Duncan's stuff, you will have a very solid base to work from. Also, then you're not spending time worrying about which paints to use and instead are focused on technique and improving your skills.

Well, I was watching Duncan's video on painting the Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought last night, and it looks like that's part of the Easy-to-Build collection. It looks pretty neat, and it seems like it'd be a bit easier to paint in that it's a bit larger (well, maybe not easier, but I haven't done any kind of vehicle yet).

As terrible as it might sound, I have also thought about doing some Ultramarine stuff, only because the blue color seems like it'd be easier to work with.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

:drat:
Larger photos, please.

Sorry, those were quick cell photos. loving with my DLSR is the most aggravating poo poo ever. He is now unfortunately under two coats of lacquer which adds a more satin look and loses the S75 matte a bit. But! He can be used on the tabletop and people can manhandle him without issue.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I dropped by the GW store, but I chickened out on the Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought. I ended up getting a pack of the Space Marine Primaris Intercessors, along with some paints to finish up the other minis (Carroburg Crimson, Zandri Dust, Naggaroth Night).

I'm also thinking next time I decide to buy something, I'm going to order it from GW's site. I don't know why, but whenever I go in there (mind you, this is the same store), the store manager just seems really unfriendly. I feel like I'm being a nuisance when asking questions. I could try a different GW store (I'm sure the staff aren't all like that), but the others around my area a lot farther away.

I did get this neat little punch-out Titan standup for free, though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I was watching Duncan's video on painting the Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought last night, and it looks like that's part of the Easy-to-Build collection. It looks pretty neat, and it seems like it'd be a bit easier to paint in that it's a bit larger (well, maybe not easier, but I haven't done any kind of vehicle yet).

As terrible as it might sound, I have also thought about doing some Ultramarine stuff, only because the blue color seems like it'd be easier to work with.

Nothing wrong with Ultras. GuardianOfAsgard has some incredible looking 4th company dudes.

I think you're too focused on details and minutiae atm. Sure, red is harder to basecoat than blue. Ultimately though, there are fundamental skills you need to pick up and the specific color scheme is going to matter much less than understanding proper paint consistency, brush control, washes, highlighting, etc.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Nothing wrong with Ultras. GuardianOfAsgard has some incredible looking 4th company dudes.

I think you're too focused on details and minutiae atm. Sure, red is harder to basecoat than blue. Ultimately though, there are fundamental skills you need to pick up and the specific color scheme is going to matter much less than understanding proper paint consistency, brush control, washes, highlighting, etc.

Yeah no offense man, but I agree with this. Stop theory-painting and stressing about doing it perfectly or whatever. JUST PAINT. It's fun and good and the more you do the better you'll get, promise.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fyrbrand posted:

Yeah no offense man, but I agree with this. Stop theory-painting and stressing about doing it perfectly or whatever. JUST PAINT. It's fun and good and the more you do the better you'll get, promise.

Yeah, take it from someone who has spent years trying to find the perfect yellow for Imperial Fists, JUST PAINT. Always be painting. Even a badly painted model is a better result than an unpainted one.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The answer to the perfect yellow is now, and will always be, XF-3.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Belisarius Cawl, the model that drew me into Adeptus Mechanicus, is finally done! Also wrapped up six pieces of ruins terrain.

I was afraid to paint him for the longest time just cause he's go so many tiny details. But it turns out that he's a lot easier than I thought. Not really any more complicated than a Tech-Priest Dominus, just bigger.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Took a bit longer than I originally planned, but I finished my second box of custodes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Acquiring new things to paint is the easiest part of this hobby, you are going to have a huge backlog before you know it so stop thinking about painting and just start painting. Don't worry about color matching or consistency, just start laying down different colors and seeing how they work. Mix paint together on the pallets and see how the colors interact. Try different types of brushes and different techniques. When you're done, take some pics to track your progress, then drop them in some stripper and do it all again. The only way to get better at painting is to just paint.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
First Cawdor Ganger, testing the colour scheme for the rest of them, pretty happy- I think the orange/green combo works pretty well.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
So, babby titans. How would people suggest basing 8mm models? The method I use for 40k models seems like it would look daft on such a difference scale.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I wouldn’t put too much detail on an 8mm base. You won’t be able to see any grass or rocks at that scale, so tamp down any flock and use super fine basing material.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

First Cawdor Ganger, testing the colour scheme for the rest of them, pretty happy- I think the orange/green combo works pretty well.

This looks dope, good color combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Duct Tape posted:

Belisarius Cawl, the model that drew me into Adeptus Mechanicus, is finally done! Also wrapped up six pieces of ruins terrain.

I was afraid to paint him for the longest time just cause he's go so many tiny details. But it turns out that he's a lot easier than I thought. Not really any more complicated than a Tech-Priest Dominus, just bigger.

Fantastic. Both the Cawl and the terrain. What was your technique for the terrain? I’m about to start mine.