Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CODChimera posted:

Yeah you must be watching a different show because that is not at all how that scene played out.

People said the same thing about "well, I guess that's your cross to bear," and Kim followed that up by unloading on Howard for being real lovely to a grieving man. Plus, we have the benefit of seeing what Jimmy's doing when Kim isn't around, and it's pretty clear that he's spiraling and trying to seize control of his life. Kim is smart enough to pick up on it, but doesn't know what to do about it. Mike picked up on it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Ditocoaf posted:

The letter scene had a kind of twist: that the letter seemed genuinely heartfelt (because it came from a time when Chuck and Jimmy were on better terms). It's a crazy complicated situation emotionally, it should be super hard to read given everything that's happened. The fact that Jimmy walled himself off from engaging emotionally with it at all was hard for Kim to watch.

There's no reason to think Chuck didn't write that letter. As long as he could maintain a distance of superiority, he'd treat his brother well. He convinced himself that his behavior towards Jimmy was motivated 100% by kindness, rationalizing away the less honorable feelings and folding them into the more reasonable ones. He had it in him to write a nice letter. Especially back when Jimmy was still working in the mail room. Willing Jimmy a letter written back then, from when he "showed promise" in Chuck's eyes, was an A+ passive-aggressive move.

It is this. Someone knows how to watch a show!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

People said the same thing about "well, I guess that's your cross to bear," and Kim followed that up by unloading on Howard for being real lovely to a grieving man. Plus, we have the benefit of seeing what Jimmy's doing when Kim isn't around, and it's pretty clear that he's spiraling and trying to seize control of his life. Kim is smart enough to pick up on it, but doesn't know what to do about it. Mike picked up on it, too.

Go back and watch it again. Jimmy isn't reading the letter anywhere close to how you described it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He was reading it the way I would read stuff out loud in school: paying just enough attention to know what words to say but not enough that I could repeat very much of it when I finish.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Caros posted:

It is either this or guilt.

She had that little meltdown at Mesa Verde and it could be that she is sort of able to draw a line of causation between her success and how she got there, basically by driving chuck even more nuts to the point that he embarrassed himself in public, lost his job over the insurance and killed himself.
Yeah her guilt is why she was kind of spacing out at Mesa Verde and then after hearing Jimmy read the letter to him that she had considered withholding.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The dynamic of dealing with a loved one who refuses to care about stuff is that you end up playing out their emotions on their behalf. The letter should have been a diamond tear bullet of emotion straight to Jimmys heart but it went right though him and got Kim instead.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think sometime in the next three episodes we're gonna see the return of Viktor and Giselle.
I'm fully on the "Kim hitches her ride to Jimmy's crime wagon because she doesn't want to dedicate her life to a bank expansion" train.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think sometime in the next three episodes we're gonna see the return of Viktor and Giselle.
I'm fully on the "Kim hitches her ride to Jimmy's crime wagon because she doesn't want to dedicate her life to a bank expansion" train.

There's a very real possibility that the writers will decide it's a more interesting move if she stays with him through becoming Saul. even though that'd fly in the face of all sorts of behavior we saw from him in Breaking Bad. I really hope that we basically are at full-bore Saul by the end of the season, I'm super curious about those early days of Saul Goodman and how they impacted the other characters we've seen on the show.

I don't think we're getting her just ending the relationship and moving away, which is what I thought the outcome would be in the early seasons. They've built up her Mesa Verde guilt too much for that smooth of an exit. Now I think she just spikes her law career and does something that Saul sees as a betrayal as well, and he's the one who leaves her while she's barely in a state to flip burgers or somesuch since she can't handle the responsibilities and stress of the legal profession anymore.

I might be way off base on how her career goes, but the more I think of it Jimmy leaving Kim is actually the saddest way that relationship could end aside wilder big-deal plot developments like "Kim is suddenly addicted to a drug."

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 21, 2018

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

There's a very real possibility that the writers will decide it's a more interesting move if she stays with him through becoming Saul. even though that'd fly in the face of all sorts of behavior we saw from him in Breaking Bad. I really hope that we basically are at full-bore Saul by the end of the season, I'm super curious about those early days of Saul Goodman and how they impacted the other characters we've seen on the show.

I don't think we're getting her just ending the relationship and moving away, which is what I thought the outcome would be in the early seasons. They've built up her Mesa Verde guilt too much for that smooth of an exit. Now I think she just spikes her law career and does something that Saul sees as a betrayal as well, and he's the one who leaves her while she's barely in a state to flip burgers or somesuch since she can't handle the responsibilities and stress of the legal profession anymore.

I might be way off base on how her career goes, but the more I think of it Jimmy leaving Kim is actually the saddest way that relationship could end aside wilder big-deal plot developments like "Kim is suddenly addicted to a drug."

I don't think it was guilt she felt in that room with the models, I think it was "holy gently caress this might just be what I do forever now oh God no."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't think it was guilt she felt in that room with the models, I think it was "holy gently caress this might just be what I do forever now oh God no."
Not sure where you’re getting that from. It happens almost immediately after the bank president mentions Chuck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Could it be that Kim did something bad in Nebraska and had to run away? She could have practiced law in Omaha or something, why did she have to run to ABQ? Maybe she found a way to live in New Mexico without drawing attention to herself and she can't do these things in those other states.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not sure where you’re getting that from. It happens almost immediately after the bank president mentions Chuck.

iirc he gives her his condolences about Chuck before he shows her the models, and that's the room where she spaces out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

iirc he gives her his condolences about Chuck before he shows her the models, and that's the room where she spaces out.

Yeah, and her comments in that room make it very clear that she is overwhelmed by the sheer scope of his ambitions.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
It wasn't even made clear on why Kim wanted to go to the court house right?

Also I rewatched the last scene, and Kim looks away from Chuck and takes a breath when he reads "you've become a value member of H.H.M". I'm not really sure what it means, but I get the feeling she is feeling more than one emotion. I personally read that line of her knowing that it's bullshit, but idk. I think she is overwhelmed by the events and how it's just all hosed up. It's a really great scene.

Nude fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 21, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Kim is increasingly upset at Jimmy's emotional distance maybe yall would know a thing or two about that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Thought for sure burglar was going to take a swing or otherwise bitch jimmy out but lol at how casually grateful he was about it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nude posted:

It wasn't even made clear on why Kim wanted to go to the court house right?

Yeah. I suspect her preoccupied attitude after the meeting at Mesa Verde was more because she suspects that Good Ol' Kevin is up to something, with his sudden plans to build big elaborate branches in a dozen cities at once and then take over the entire West. And I'd guess she wanted to go to the courthouse to look into Mesa Verde's records and try to figure out what's really going on.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 21, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Selachian posted:

Yeah. I suspect her preoccupied attitude after the meeting at Mesa Verde was more because she suspects that Good Ol' Kevin is up to something, with his sudden plans to build big elaborate branches in a dozen cities at once and then take over the entire West. And I'd guess she wanted to go to the courthouse to look into Mesa Verde's records and try to figure out what's really going on.

Mesa verde has a lot of homes in multiple states. I wonder if this is now a national case. My memory is hazy on this stuff tho

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Madrigal Electromotive Sells A Very E-legal Radical Drug, Everyone

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Selachian posted:

also the odds that she can handle a huge rapid national expansion, even if it is possible, alone are pretty low.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BTW in case anyone's unaware, there's a side series of Madrigal Electromotive "Employee Training" videos starring Mike :haw:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

At this point it should be clear that Kim's not thinking "oh my god Jimmy's a monster". She'd never turn against him on a dime like that. She's upset because she can't bear to look at the way he's internalizing his grief.

The doorway shot does emphasize the barrier she's putting up, but she's not doing it because of disgust. It's her way of coping with personal distress.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Jimmy should tell Kim about his last conversation with Chuck because she's missing a huge reason for why he's acting like he is.
I really hope that there's a scene this season where these two just throw everything on the floor and talk.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

eke out posted:

i hope nacho's ending isn't too tragic when it comes :smith:

Against all likelihood, I’m imagining he gets out, and isn’t in BB because he’s attending law school somewhere on the Charles McGill scholarship.

What leads up to that, your guess is as good as mine.

E: the henchman that helped stage the crime scene, was he the one that went on to get blown up with Gus in BB?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: the henchman that helped stage the crime scene, was he the one that went on to get blown up with Gus in BB?

Tyrus? Yeah, he died with Gus in the Hectorbomb.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For a minute, before we saw his face, I thought the hummel burglar guy was gonna be Huell.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Data Graham posted:

For a minute, before we saw his face, I thought the hummel burglar guy was gonna be Huell.

I swore very loudly when I realised it wasn't.

What really stings about the letter for me, is that it looks like its written before Jimmy put himself through law school, so it's just as patronising and condescending as ever.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yep, Chuck either never put the effort into rewriting it since then, or he deliberately left it unchanged as a paggro "you went wrong after all" guilt trip. Both possibilities hurt in different ways.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I swore very loudly when I realised it wasn't.

What really stings about the letter for me, is that it looks like its written before Jimmy put himself through law school, so it's just as patronising and condescending as ever.

Yeah, to me it read as if he'd written the letter when Jimmy was still working in the mailroom at HHM (i.e., when he was on the path that Chuck laid out for him), and Chuck never cared enough to update it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have to wonder what Chuck's plan for Jimmy was. Would he just work in the mail room forever and then beg Chuck for scraps when he's old?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Thinking on it, Jimmy is still trying to be the man Chuck wanted him to be, and is trying to live up to the description Chuck gave him in their last talk. :smith:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Judging from the way she looked at the Mesa Verde logo/cowboy/statue at the end of that scene, I think she is overwhelmed by a sense of accomplishment. In the last (few?) months she quit her job, had to fight against her old employer to keep her client, overworked herself almost to death, and it suddenly dawned on her that it was all worth it in the end and there is meaning in her work.

With Jimmy it's the opposite. She railed against Howard because she thought that he hurt Jim by implying that Chuck might have killed himself, and then it turns out that Jimmy just doesn't give a gently caress. It's clearly a "I don't even know you any more" situation.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rexides posted:

Judging from the way she looked at the Mesa Verde logo/cowboy/statue at the end of that scene, I think she is overwhelmed by a sense of accomplishment. In the last (few?) months she quit her job, had to fight against her old employer to keep her client, overworked herself almost to death, and it suddenly dawned on her that it was all worth it in the end and there is meaning in her work.

i'm pretty sure it's exactly the opposite, her sole client that was already working her to death announced a massive, "aggressive" expansion into like a dozen states that there's no way she can handle.

she's not disassociating out of joy and satisfaction in that scene lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The cowboy represents the freedom she has in her own practice. The miniature banks represent all of her problems shrinking away. You guys are bad at watching TV.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I can't tell which bad takes and predictions are trolling anymore.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She was overwhelmed and processing.

I think her self-image has changed. She didn't think she was the kind of person who gets opportunities like this. But maybe she is that kind of person?

Edit: Knowing where Jimmy ends up, I hope she dumps him soon and experiences massive success. Also, I hope that Howard will be okay. :ohdear:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Selachian posted:

Tyrus? Yeah, he died with Gus in the Hectorbomb.

I’m a dummy; they were both still Gus’s henchmen in BB.

It’s been so long since I saw the original show, some of the B and C-list cartel guys I don’t realize it right away.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It probably doesn't help that the shows don't always mention character names right away. I think Tyrus' name was spoken once ever, in a scene he wasn't in, long after he'd been introduced. Can make retention a little harder.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I can definitely say I wouldn’t enjoy this show enough to watch it every week had I not seen BB. That said, it’s the only TV show in the last several years that I’ve watched as it aired and is one of the best shows I’ve seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

4 predictions for the season:

1. whatever kim went to the courthouse for will be important later.

2. kim is going to drop Mesa Verde. she's a hell of a lawyer but this isn't the life she wants, and considering she almost worked herself to death over them expanding to one state, adding ten or so more is just too much poo poo. No idea if she'll settle down at another firm (which while it would be denying her the original freedom she wanted when she turned down S&C to go into solo practitioning, she's starting to realize she embarked on a pipe dream) or if she'll burn out again, or what, but she definitely isn't staying where she is.

3. Jimmy is gonna be the one to leave Kim. probably over something seemingly trivial

4. nacho is going to come up with some half baked plan to ripoff Lalo, either an as of yet unseen Juárez cartel member or someone involved in a rival gang, as his means fully getting out of the business. this is where the major storylines converge.