Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Bases suitably Necromunda'd

Terrain Coming along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Yeast posted:

Bases suitably Necromunda'd

Terrain Coming along

Door is sick, almost exactly what I had in mind when I first saw that terrain! Gimme the lowdown if you’d be so kind ?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I had expected more AT chat going on in this thread. Hopefully no one has to paint a swastika-festooned titan to get some posting going...

Has anyone managed to get any games in yet? Everyone at my local club who bought in on launch day is still assembling and I probably won't get a game this week. In my rush to get some playable models ready I've made a couple of stupid assembly mistakes that had to be broken and re-done. Luckily I used superglue on the titans rather than poly cement so the damage isn't too noticeable. My one (minor) complaint about the Grand Master set is that they didn't include a couple of old-school cardboard pop-up titans to quickly get up and running with. It's especially needed with the new Warlord being such a complex kit that needs be painted in sub-assemblies.

The model & terrain at launch, while limited, really are on another level. The detail on the units is incredible and really show how far GW have come since the 3-piece Knight Paladins I started gaming with in the mid-nineties. Right now I'm halfway through assembling the terrain, and find it amazing how well they're designed. The various sections stack like lego, so I won't be stuck with the same terrain layouts for every game. For once I'm actually looking forward to buying more scenery and filling a table.
Really can't wait to see the Reaver kit in a few weeks.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Torquemada posted:

Door is sick, almost exactly what I had in mind when I first saw that terrain! Gimme the lowdown if you’d be so kind ?

Thanks!

Metals are just Vallejo metal colour dark aluminium and then a gloss wash and black oil wash.

Airbrush on a bit of brown down the bottom for dust

Airbrush white while holding the door at a close to 90 degree angle for that ‘light catching’ effect.

Then Scale 75 Sol yellow airbrushed the same way.

Optional bloody hand print with Citadel Blood for the blood god. :v:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

I had expected more AT chat going on in this thread. Hopefully no one has to paint a swastika-festooned titan to get some posting going...

Has anyone managed to get any games in yet? Everyone at my local club who bought in on launch day is still assembling and I probably won't get a game this week. In my rush to get some playable models ready I've made a couple of stupid assembly mistakes that had to be broken and re-done. Luckily I used superglue on the titans rather than poly cement so the damage isn't too noticeable. My one (minor) complaint about the Grand Master set is that they didn't include a couple of old-school cardboard pop-up titans to quickly get up and running with. It's especially needed with the new Warlord being such a complex kit that needs be painted in sub-assemblies.

The model & terrain at launch, while limited, really are on another level. The detail on the units is incredible and really show how far GW have come since the 3-piece Knight Paladins I started gaming with in the mid-nineties. Right now I'm halfway through assembling the terrain, and find it amazing how well they're designed. The various sections stack like lego, so I won't be stuck with the same terrain layouts for every game. For once I'm actually looking forward to buying more scenery and filling a table.
Really can't wait to see the Reaver kit in a few weeks.

I'm working on mine, so far just have the shins finished. Shinguard on the right leg doesn't fit quite perfectly since I put it into a little too much of an action pose, but its close enough nobody but me will notice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

xtothez posted:

My one (minor) complaint about the Grand Master set is that they didn't include a couple of old-school cardboard pop-up titans to quickly get up and running with.

Check with your store, my LGS got pop-up titans for a launch event (that sort of happened).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Discontinuing Valdor Gold was a crime.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't even opened my box yet. It'll probably take me a year to get these painted and built. Then I can play.

What size magnets do we need to use? My local game store has 1/16" and 3/4" but neither looked to fit in the holes of a sprue they had opened.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 20, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Philthy posted:

I haven't even opened my box yet. It'll probably take me a year to get these painted and built. Then I can play.

What size magnets do we need to use? My local game store has 1/16" and 3/4" but neither looked to fit in the holes of a sprue they had opened.

5mm x 1mm. Get the highest "N" rating you can, as you want to make sure weapons aren't falling off all the time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I haven't built one yet, is the carapace armor easily magnetized? I wanted to do red bodies with Firewasp striped carapace, but I'd also like to swap the horus pads on for Legio Mortis.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I haven't built one yet, is the carapace armor easily magnetized? I wanted to do red bodies with Firewasp striped carapace, but I'd also like to swap the horus pads on for Legio Mortis.

It's probably doable, but not easy. The contact areas are not very big.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Look what I just found in my drawer of old boxes...

The plastic ruins have aged pretty well, especially compared to the original cardboard Epic stuff. Combined with the civitas stuff in the GME box that should be enough for a full 4x4 table.

moths posted:

It'll be tricky because the armour plate with the alternate pattern sits underneath two other plates. I glued all three together as a sub-assembly for easier painting.

On the upside, it's very easy to swap Knight weapons with 2mm magnets.

Now I just need to find some appropriately sized powerfists to make a Gallant banner.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oops, yeah it looks like I misread the sprues. I thought the whole shoulder pauldron was one piece and I'd be able to swap them out like Marine shoulderpads.

I'd have to do some clever scratch-building / conversion to get double duty from a Warlord since you don't get extra carapace pieces.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

xtothez posted:

Look what I just found in my drawer of old boxes...

The plastic ruins have aged pretty well, especially compared to the original cardboard Epic stuff. Combined with the civitas stuff in the GME box that should be enough for a full 4x4 table.
How well do they scale next with AT? I've got a TON that I never built for Epic because it was easier to haul the cardboard and plastic buildings around.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

How well do they scale next with AT? I've got a TON that I never built for Epic because it was easier to haul the cardboard and plastic buildings around.

Pretty close imo. The taller ruins can completely obscure a warhound or knight and likely help protect bigger titans.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

xtothez posted:

Pretty close imo. The taller ruins can completely obscure a warhound or knight and likely help protect bigger titans.

Cool - they don't quite have the same footprint, but it's not too bad. Looks like I definitely finally have to start building that stuff...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

glitchkrieg posted:

Supposedly this rule has been changed to - starting weapons can not cost more than 20 credits. According to the FB group, anyway.

This is really loving dumb

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

I believe that's right, yes. Partly because Juves should (in the designers' vision) start to become rising stars, overtaking your Gangers, as they gain Advances, well before they actually promote to Champions. And partly because they loving love selling hand flamers in the FW weapon packs, and someone has to carry them!

BTW, I really think the Juve-Champ thing needs rethinking. I don't have any practical experience playing new-Necro campaigns, but it seems like getting a Juve anywhere near the starting profile of a Champion (great stats, pick one primary skill) is a vanishingly small possibility. So in practice, you'd be more likely to seek to hire in new Champs once your Rep level allows.

Maybe that's not the case? Perhaps if you foster your Juves well you can end up with 4-6 Champs well before your Rep would allow it, so even if their stats have some weaknesses your gang is collecting loads of income and doing post-game actions? Do Juves gain XP faster than I imagine?

Also, I seem to see a change in the 'Dominion Campaign' rules in GW4. It appears the cumulative 2XP charge for Advances is for each statistic, not overall. Am I reading this wrong? Was it already like that?

You are not wrong. And there’s another reason why Juves>Champions doesn’t work: their 5 advances inflate their ganger value way above the odds of a champion, AND once they ‘graduate’ they instantly lose their XP tax relief and go straight in with the +10XP cost on their future upgrades. RAI, my group is fairly certain that it’s not supposed to work this way, but RAW it’s absolutely clear.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Yeah, I've played a few campaigns since release, and since the first one, no one in my gaming group has taken or bought Juves.

I'm really not sure how GW/FW think they're supposed to work, but they don't make sense currently.

I'd also argue that even with their 5 advances, they won't even really equal Ganger stats, let alone a Champion - and like inept says, their value will be bonkers.

Orlock Juve plus mesh armour = 45 creds
Orlock Ganger that includes mesh armour = 55 creds

For 10 extra creds I get:
-1 movement and initiative, but
+1 WS, +1 BS, +1 Ld, +1 Cl, +1 Wil, +1 Int

The only difference is that Juves get to choose their advances.

I'll still take a Ganger every time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think its probably a fun/thematic thing to take when not minmaxing .

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
That and Escher Juves are hilariously cheap speed-bumps for multi-wound models. Keep out of 7" or fear 2 attacks with a Stiletto Knife hitting on 3+.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

You are not wrong. And there’s another reason why Juves>Champions doesn’t work: their 5 advances inflate their ganger value way above the odds of a champion, AND once they ‘graduate’ they instantly lose their XP tax relief and go straight in with the +10XP cost on their future upgrades. RAI, my group is fairly certain that it’s not supposed to work this way, but RAW it’s absolutely clear.

Ha ha, I didn't even think about the sudden imposition of tax on any future Advances! That's bizarre. Again, another obvious house-rule candidate. With the newer model Advance rules, that wouldn't be quite as bad, but you'd still be potentially paying the higher cost for Advances just to finish catching up to Champion stats (most champs are 2 notches higher WS/BS than Juves).

Enentol posted:

Yeah, I've played a few campaigns since release, and since the first one, no one in my gaming group has taken or bought Juves.

I'm really not sure how GW/FW think they're supposed to work, but they don't make sense currently.

I'd also argue that even with their 5 advances, they won't even really equal Ganger stats, let alone a Champion - and like inept says, their value will be bonkers.

Orlock Juve plus mesh armour = 45 creds
Orlock Ganger that includes mesh armour = 55 creds

For 10 extra creds I get:
-1 movement and initiative, but
+1 WS, +1 BS, +1 Ld, +1 Cl, +1 Wil, +1 Int

The only difference is that Juves get to choose their advances.

I'll still take a Ganger every time.

Fully agree. Juves aren't just outclassed by Champs, they're outclassed by Gangers. Hell, with Goliaths they give up S & T!

glitchkrieg posted:

That and Escher Juves are hilariously cheap speed-bumps for multi-wound models. Keep out of 7" or fear 2 attacks with a Stiletto Knife hitting on 3+.

To be fair, the combo of very fast movement and Toxin definitely helps. I thought Escher Juves were WS 5+ though? And surely a Ganger would be a touch slower but a far better value.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Escher juves are pretty excellent, Van Saar juves are OK, although being limited from having basic weapons isn’t great for them.

Edit: But for both this is because of their native value as either a cheap CC meatshield or cheap dual pistols threat. In terms of eventual Champion candidates they are both still dreadful. At least Escher juves are very likely to have short careers considering their highly risky MO.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Genghis Cohen posted:

To be fair, the combo of very fast movement and Toxin definitely helps. I thought Escher Juves were WS 5+ though? And surely a Ganger would be a touch slower but a far better value.

They start with WS4+ and Stiletto Knives have a +1 to hit...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

They start with WS4+ and Stiletto Knives have a +1 to hit...

That is pretty great! All the same, an Escher Ganger can still do the same thing when the opportunity arises, and also carry a 5pt lasgun to pin down enemy fighters.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Wrote babbys first Cawdor list, I feel like Cawdor don’t really mesh with my play style but they’re what I played in high school so it’s what I’m playing now dammit!

Leader
Prophet Maplethorn
- Hand Flamer, Polearm Blunderbuss, Mesh Armour, Overseer

Champions
Pontiff Candiru
- Heavy Crossbow, Club, Mesh Armour, Bulging Biceps

Gherimaine
- Two handed axe, Stub gun, Mesh Armour Combat Master

Gangers
Holmwood
- reclaimed autogun, flak armour

Brother Fracas
- Polearm Blunderbuss, Flak armour

Seward
- Reclaimed Autogun, Axe, Flak armour

Klimmet
- Polearm Autogun, Flak Armour

Juves
Grempsey
- Stub Gun x2

Main one I’m not sure of is whether to go stubbers or autopistols on the Juve, more shots vs reliability.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i just got my AT in, how do the rules look? any first impressions anywhere?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Asphyxious posted:

Wrote babbys first Cawdor list, I feel like Cawdor don’t really mesh with my play style but they’re what I played in high school so it’s what I’m playing now dammit!

Leader
Prophet Maplethorn
- Hand Flamer, Polearm Blunderbuss, Mesh Armour, Overseer

Champions
Pontiff Candiru
- Heavy Crossbow, Club, Mesh Armour, Bulging Biceps

Gherimaine
- Two handed axe, Stub gun, Mesh Armour Combat Master

Gangers
Holmwood
- reclaimed autogun, flak armour

Brother Fracas
- Polearm Blunderbuss, Flak armour

Seward
- Reclaimed Autogun, Axe, Flak armour

Klimmet
- Polearm Autogun, Flak Armour

Juves
Grempsey
- Stub Gun x2

Main one I’m not sure of is whether to go stubbers or autopistols on the Juve, more shots vs reliability.

Needs MOAR BODIES, I'd say. I'd say drop hand flamer and the Blunderbuss on the ganger, get more screaming zealots.

Also, two autopistols for MOAR DAKKA.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

JcDent posted:

Needs MOAR BODIES, I'd say. I'd say drop hand flamer and the Blunderbuss on the ganger, get more screaming zealots.

Also, two autopistols for MOAR DAKKA.

Lose the flamer on the leader? I dunno thought it’d be useful. I could drop it and some others to get another ganger I guess!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Oh god the hand flamer is 75 points yeah nah I’m good. I missed that. Added an extra Ganger instead.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Couple of tips, since you upgraded your leader and champs armor, you got 3 flak armors in the stash. Give one to the juve. Drop bulging biceps, It was errataed and doesnt work as suspensors, It only works for melee weapons now, check It out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pau posted:

Couple of tips, since you upgraded your leader and champs armor, you got 3 flak armors in the stash. Give one to the juve. Drop bulging biceps, It was errataed and doesnt work as suspensors, It only works for melee weapons now, check It out.

Yeah, Biceps suck now unless you want to combo a two-handed melee weapon with... some other weapon.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Pau posted:

Is that the way the armour works? I just straight up didn’t have an option to add armour to Juves in the army builder. Also thanks for the heads up on bulging biceps, that sucks :(

Any suggestions for what would work for the crossbow guy?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

Is that the way the armour works? I just straight up didn’t have an option to add armour to Juves in the army builder. Also thanks for the heads up on bulging biceps, that sucks :(

You can give Juves armor in Yaktribe, at least, which is bizzare, since every rulebook says that they only have access to melee and basic weapons.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Asphyxious posted:

Are you not using https://yaktribe.games? If you are, just move the armor to the stash then send It to your juve from there. If you are not, start using yaktribe you heretic!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

JcDent posted:

You can give Juves armor in Yaktribe, at least, which is bizzare, since every rulebook says that they only have access to melee and basic weapons.

Yeah I just noticed that, temporarily forgot armour wasn’t just under Wargear :v:

edit: I am absolutely using Yaktribe and it’s AMAZING

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

JcDent posted:

Melee and pistols actually. Basic weapons are a nono for juves.

This is how it works AS OF NOW: you can arm a juve with weapons from the close combat and pistols categories but you must not spend more than 20$ on anything you arm them with. That means that they can carry up to three weapons that cost no more than 20$ each. They also come with no equipment which means no free armor right now BUT you can buy them equipment from the start be it grenades or armor or whatever but you cannot spend more than 20$ on each piece of equipment.

Disregard the 20$ tops rule after they have played their first game. Once they do, you can give them a plasma pistol and power axe if that's your thing.

Yes it makes no loving sense.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Asphyxious posted:

Juves
Grempsey
- Stub Gun x2

It’s more important to hit than it is to have any hits be (maybe) multiplied into twos or threes. Stub guns.

Edit: Although autopistols work well as close combat weapons, you just have to be aware that choosing one makes the other option far less viable.

Edit 2: I’m usually a big fan of Overseer but I don’t see its value in your gang - Overseer makes itself useful by allowing your heavy hitters to activate twice, and I don’t see Cawdor out of the box having any real heavy hitters. Better to use your leader as fighter than plan for him to skulk and do nothing.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 22, 2018

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

ineptmule posted:

It’s more important to hit than it is to have any hits be (maybe) multiplied into twos or threes. Stub guns.

Edit: Although autopistols work well as close combat weapons, you just have to be aware that choosing one makes the other option far less viable.

Edit 2: I’m usually a big fan of Overseer but I don’t see its value in your gang - Overseer makes itself useful by allowing your heavy hitters to activate twice, and I don’t see Cawdor out of the box having any real heavy hitters. Better to use your leader as fighter than plan for him to skulk and do nothing.

That was my logic for stub guns, I figured getting the hits in was more important than quantity of hits.

Glad I wasn’t as far off the mark as I thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pau posted:

Melee and pistols actually. Basic weapons are a nono for juves.

This is how it works AS OF NOW: you can arm a juve with weapons from the close combat and pistols categories but you must not spend more than 20$ on anything you arm them with. That means that they can carry up to three weapons that cost no more than 20$ each. They also come with no equipment which means no free armor right now BUT you can buy them equipment from the start be it grenades or armor or whatever but you cannot spend more than 20$ on each piece of equipment.

Disregard the 20$ tops rule after they have played their first game. Once they do, you can give them a plasma pistol and power axe if that's your thing.

Yes it makes no loving sense.

:psycawdor: