Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I still want an H P Lovecraft game where you play as H P and your days are filled with terror, trying to avoid black people, romanies and eskimos. A trip to the zoo becomes a nightmare as you near the penguin enclosure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Kokoro Wish posted:

I still want an H P Lovecraft game where you play as H P and your days are filled with terror, trying to avoid black people, romanies and eskimos. A trip to the zoo becomes a nightmare as you near the penguin enclosure.

I think it would be legit interesting to have a game where a world is spontaneously going Silent Hill/Hey.Really. Giger around you. Maybe as a reflection of mental illness, or just latent prejudiced beliefs. And there's mechanics where you have to perform tasks/spontaneous mini games to keep your poo poo together so you don't alert the monsters and blend in with society.

Though now I'm imagining the player failing Simon Says and as a result the PC just screams the N-word at a two headed dolphin chimera.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had an idea for a game similar to the film It Follows, but with two important components:

1. The monster actually has a truly horrifying appearance, rather than just looking like a regular dude in white.

2. There are levels that take place in regular daylight, public scenarios.

Like let's say an early scene takes place in a restaurant. Suddenly you see this figure (we can assume it's something like this) simply walking toward you. If it touches you, you die. You need to escape, but acting out of the ordinary will attract attention from the people around you. You can't just run through the kitchen or other staff areas or totally freak out sprinting around the restaurant, otherwise your suspicion will increase and people may even try to block your path and grab onto you to stop you. You need to try and maintain your composure as you run.

Then you're in a friend's house later, trying to explain what's going on. They don't believe you, even after you see the monster over their shoulder. You're now fleeing their house until your friend catches up to you. The whole time, the monster just maintains a leisurely walking pace...but might show up around a corner unexpectedly.

And then let's say they believe you, or at least humor you. They agree to drive you around for a while so you can sleep, so you drift off in their backseat. Your eyes close, the screen goes black, then your eyes snap open. It's past midnight, with the car parked at a rest stop out on a lonely highway, and the monster is staring at you through the window.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would be amusing if you could lure the monster into some glitched geometry and complete the rest of the game without fear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

It would be amusing if you could lure the monster into some glitched geometry and complete the rest of the game without fear.

It's never a horror game without some kind of glitch that makes for funny videos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’d be all for a horror game that fully embraced its own video game logic because as much as I liked It Follows I also thought up about half a dozen better ways of getting rid of the monster over the course of the movie.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Make THIS the gameplay- a game where glitches are intended to some degree, and your method of survival is finding ways to glitch the monster (sequence breaks, geometry errors, AI abuse), without getting yourself blown apart or erased in the attempt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

exquisite tea posted:

I’d be all for a horror game that fully embraced its own video game logic because as much as I liked It Follows I also thought up about half a dozen better ways of getting rid of the monster over the course of the movie.

There was a reddit thread where someone did the maths on it walking and how long it would take to get to X location from where. But honestly the scariest part of that film is that you don't know the rules any more than the characters do.

At one point its waiting on top of the roof. The big master plan is foiled when it goes nuts and starts throwing poo poo. What else don't we know, etc.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

You can't just run through the kitchen or other staff areas or totally freak out sprinting around the restaurant, otherwise your suspicion will increase and people may even try to block your path and grab onto you to stop you. You need to try and maintain your composure as you run.

A good game over condition would be you've destroyed all the goodwill that friends and family had for you, so they commit you to a mental asylum. You can it coming for you outside while you're stuck in your locked cell in a straightjacket.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dogstile posted:

There was a reddit thread where someone did the maths on it walking and how long it would take to get to X location from where. But honestly the scariest part of that film is that you don't know the rules any more than the characters do.

At one point its waiting on top of the roof. The big master plan is foiled when it goes nuts and starts throwing poo poo. What else don't we know, etc.

Also I think the monster had some limited form of teleportation with how it would just appear in different places despite moving entirely at a walking pace. If you kept moving forever it couldn't get to you, but it could always show up once you were sitting still for long enough. There could be the possibility that even a train or airplane provides enough space for it to materialize, and then you're extra hosed.

This would also mean you can't just go to another country to get away from it, like flying to Russia and waiting 2 months for it to catch up to you. You'd show up and it would just come out of an alley the next day.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I think the it follows monster evolved in tactics and it had some sort of intelligence from what we see in the movie. That said even in its bare bones it scares me because of the paranoia of always having to look over your shoulder after a non exact period of time. Even living a life where you keep moving... who can even sustain that? Who would want to?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just gently caress a pilot with a reputation imo. That should buy you years!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meallan posted:

I think the it follows monster evolved in tactics and it had some sort of intelligence from what we see in the movie. That said even in its bare bones it scares me because of the paranoia of always having to look over your shoulder after a non exact period of time. Even living a life where you keep moving... who can even sustain that? Who would want to?

I did some quick math and assuming the monster really did have to walk everywhere without teleporting, the distance from Detroit (where it was filmed) to the middle of nowhere in Siberia would take it about 70 days to cross. Unless you could get yourself in an impenetrable bunker for the rest of your life without anyone even opening the door enough for the monster to get in, you'd have to move to the other side of the world every 2 months to stay ahead of it. Forever.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
all monsters can teleport its what makes them scary

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Friday the 13th did an amazing job with that, where Jason could inaccurately teleport around the map as well as being able to more accurately teleport by turning invisible and shooting forward at a high speed. There was no better feeling than shifting through the door just before someone locks it, only to grab them when they turn around :allears: also it hid Jason appearing out of the ether with a short VHS tracking error effect which was just perfect.

I hate the legal shadowrealm that game got thrown into :smith:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Danaru posted:

Friday the 13th did an amazing job with that, where Jason could inaccurately teleport around the map as well as being able to more accurately teleport by turning invisible and shooting forward at a high speed. There was no better feeling than shifting through the door just before someone locks it, only to grab them when they turn around :allears: also it hid Jason appearing out of the ether with a short VHS tracking error effect which was just perfect.

hell yeah now thats sticking to the franchise in every way including the legal shadowrealm

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Continuing the logic, there have been a scant few games about hiding in plain sight e.g. some of the AssCreed multiplayer modes, Spy Party, some WarioWare microgame, and Panoptic and these are games where you're trying to blend in with the random NPCs. We come to accept NPC nonsense e.g. the random spinning in circles of townsfolk from a Final Fantasy or Bethesda game and it would be really creepy if an NPC just broke "character". Like you're playing some innocuous adventure game in the style of Shenmue or David Cage, just wandering around solving puzzles, when one of the background characters stops in place, twists to look at you, then makes a beeline towards your position.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danaru posted:

F13 did the correct job of exposing the true best Jason: tall upright Kane Hodder with the bag on his head. The best costume with the best Jason, together at last, far better than that trash franchise deserves.

Also yeah it's a shame the publishers halted development right as the Grendel map was coming out. One of the issues I had with F13 was most the maps kinda blended together for me, a nice big indoor spaceship map would have been real good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TGLT posted:

F13 did the correct job of exposing the true best Jason: tall upright Kane Hodder with the bag on his head. The best costume with the best Jason, together at last, far better than that trash franchise deserves.

Also yeah it's a shame the publishers halted development right as the Grendel map was coming out. One of the issues I had with F13 was most the maps kinda blended together for me, a nice big indoor spaceship map would have been real good.

They were planning on making NES Jason his own character, and give him a new model instead of just being a Part 3 recolour. As one of the six people on earth who liked the NES game my heart still grieves :saddowns:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it kind of sucks if the game development has been stopped due to some lawsuit apparently

as long as it's not just some weird lie to get out of developing for the game anymore

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

No more development will be done on the game period because of the lawsuit, which is a real lawsuit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Apparently doing ANYTHING with the F13 franchise is a huge no-no due to the lawsuit now. It's just that the game and NECA figurines were about the only use lately.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

No more development will be done on the game period because of the lawsuit, which is a real lawsuit.

Yeah but the lawsuit was ongoing during the game's creation and lord knows F13: The Game hasn't been very popular. The press release made it sound like the decision to stop was an internal reckoning and not a court order so, shrug? I think they already hit all their stretch goals so even if it is just the publishers pulling the plug on an unpopular game it's not like an enormous dickbag move or anything.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was mostly confused about it all since the game has been out a while and it seemed odd for something like this to just now come down the pipeline, but leave it to the legal system to be ever-baffling. the friday the 13th game wasn't perfect but it was a pretty neat way to handle the concept instead of just doing yet another generic asymmetrical horror thing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was mostly confused about it all since the game has been out a while and it seemed odd for something like this to just now come down the pipeline, but leave it to the legal system to be ever-baffling. the friday the 13th game wasn't perfect but it was a pretty neat way to handle the concept instead of just doing yet another generic asymmetrical horror thing.

This looks like a decent overview? It's a question of who has the rights to profit off of the F13 characters (that matter) so that's gonna encompass everything. And honestly Miller, the original writer, made the production company a shitload of money that he never saw so I hope he wins.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think the lawsuit was going on years and years before the game came out, but the franchise owners just kinda :effort:ed, let the deadline run out, and now nobody can use it until the suit is resolved. Gun and Illfonic had zero to do with it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think the issue is that the dude who wrote the original film is suing the studio claiming that because he came up with the character of Jason Voorhees he owed money for the entire franchise. Nevermind that the Jason he wrote was a deformed child that died years before the film takes place and only appears for a few seconds in what might be a dream sequence. Not the lumbering masked killer of later films.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not that they shouldn't have payed him a lot more.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not that they shouldn't have payed him a lot more.

agreed and i dont know how these things work but youd think if you pen a script for a movie you'd want some kind of licensing or residual money regardless of how successful you think it may be, but if you just sell it for a flat rate thinking theres no way this movie is going to do gangbusters that's kind of on you (or your lovely attorney/lackthereof)

Edit: oh this is how:

quote:

Because of the 1976 US Copyright Act, artists have the ability to challenge for the rights to work they may have sold off after 35 years.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the issue is that the dude who wrote the original film is suing the studio claiming that because he came up with the character of Jason Voorhees he owed money for the entire franchise. Nevermind that the Jason he wrote was a deformed child that died years before the film takes place and only appears for a few seconds in what might be a dream sequence. Not the lumbering masked killer of later films.

Kind of the other way around actually. He filed to terminate the rights to the original script in accordance with the Copyright Act of 1976 and the production company counter-sued arguing he had no claim over the original F13 script. Whether or not his Jason ends up unable to tuck his shirt in, dude only made 10k on a film that grossed 40 million. Plus he's responsible for Pamela Vorhees which is really the only original thing about Jason. And I guess Ralph. He's responsible for Ralph.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ralph is worth at least a couple million.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
isnt that why the tv writers strike happened? they werent included in the residuals of dvd sales/syndication and the seinfeld box set had just come out

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TGLT posted:

Kind of the other way around actually. He filed to terminate the rights to the original script in accordance with the Copyright Act of 1976 and the production company counter-sued arguing he had no claim over the original F13 script. Whether or not his Jason ends up unable to tuck his shirt in, dude only made 10k on a film that grossed 40 million. Plus he's responsible for Pamela Vorhees which is really the only original thing about Jason. And I guess Ralph. He's responsible for Ralph.

Cunningham's argument is that he signed a pretty clear-cut contract saying that he was an employee being paid a flat rate for his script. Miller is trying to argue "Nuh-uh!" and that the contract doesn't actually say that, which would make him the copyright holder.

It's really just a matter of contract interpretation. If you write something for a company and the contract says that the company holds the copyright, the company holds the copyright. Doesn't matter how much money you or they got for it, the law is the law. Contracts don't get overturned just because 40 years later hindsight says your deal wasn't as good as it could have been.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Cunningham's argument is that he signed a pretty clear-cut contract saying that he was an employee being paid a flat rate for his script. Miller is trying to argue "Nuh-uh!" and that the contract doesn't actually say that, which would make him the copyright holder.

It's really just a matter of contract interpretation. If you write something for a company and the contract says that the company holds the copyright, the company holds the copyright. Doesn't matter how much money you or they got for it, the law is the law. Contracts don't get overturned just because 40 years later hindsight says your deal wasn't as good as it could have been.

No it isn't. Cunningham's argument is Miller wrote it on a work-for-hire basis, but Miller's argument is that he wrote it on spec - independent of the production company and prior to any contract with them. That's why the 1979 memo is important.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 21, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Horror!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So I have a question and I cannot think of a better thread to ask in.

In DDR there is a song called "Silent Hill ~Tell Me You Love Me For Christmas~" and for the life of me I cannot find an explanation on if this song has anything in relation to Silent Hill the game series and if so what is it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Senior Scarybagels posted:

In DDR there is a song called "Silent Hill ~Tell Me You Love Me For Christmas~" and for the life of me I cannot find an explanation on if this song has anything in relation to Silent Hill the game series and if so what is it.

Is it... is the artist Akira Yamaoka?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Skyscraper posted:

Is it... is the artist Akira Yamaoka?

I don't see their name;
Artist: THOMAS HOWARD
Composition/Arrangement: Naoki Maeda
Lyrics/Vocals: Thomas.H.Lichtenstein

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

I don't see their name;
Artist: THOMAS HOWARD
Lyrics/Vocals: Thomas.H.Lichtenstein

They may have just used silent Hill assets in the music video and that might've been enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I'm assuming its a play on "Silent Night" since it's a Christmas song. Looking at the remywiki for the song and it looks like the song has nothing to do with the Silent Hill game:

Song: https://remywiki.com/Silent_Hill

Lyrics/Vocals: Thomas Howard Lichtenstein