Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Humans fighting Orks with primitive hand weapons is suicide. A Feudal world that gets hit by a Rok is a world that's going to be an Ork world in a few months. Only War has all those fancy combat maneuvers and pieces of gear because you need them to win against enemies that can laugh off basic weapons. Player characters don't even carry lasguns, those are for your replacable comrades.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you will need to think about how to give the players the teamwork advantage they need to beat the bullshit stats that Orks get.

Savage Orks are a thing - orks won't have an entire industry in a Rok or a Landa, just a bunch of boyz and their personal gear, which is limited in ammo and fuel as well as being tempermental.

Yes, orks can eventually build up an industry, but they prefer to loot an existing one. If one isn't available, they grow as Savages until they can get enough grots mining and smelting to support higher tech stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you will need to think about how to give the players the teamwork advantage they need to beat the bullshit stats that Orks get.

Or an STC fragment spitting out chainswords.
(And only chainswords. Everything on this planet is either medieval tech or made out of chainswords.)

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
the Iron Throne but its chainswords

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Have the vile greenskin hordes consist mostly of grots, with a few dozen actual boyz and maybe one nob?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You know what FFG had? It looked impressive. It had quality of quanitity with how it overwhelmed you with content, both written and image-wise. It was a relentless onslaught. When you open up WnG, it's a little... disappointing. Bare-bones. The math might better and the tables might be better organized, but it doesn't have the pomp.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dre2Dee2 posted:

That being said I'm probably going to play Warhammer 4th more (which hopefully doesnt suck)

As someone who played a lot of 2nd edition, 4th is a big improvement across the board. Just the fact that they have rules for upgrading stats that are outside your current class is a fantastic improvement, and the new magic rules seem way more manageable. I loved the extreme danger of the old magic system but you were always one roll away from ending your carefully crafted campaign with some "lol miscast. Time to roll new guys"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As someone who played a lot of 2nd edition, 4th is a big improvement across the board. Just the fact that they have rules for upgrading stats that are outside your current class is a fantastic improvement, and the new magic rules seem way more manageable. I loved the extreme danger of the old magic system but you were always one roll away from ending your carefully crafted campaign with some "lol miscast. Time to roll new guys"

I do like that they have random stuff in place if you want in chargen, but they also just let you pick and point buy to your heart's content and even if you do go all random it's not that much of a boost.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So is the new fantasy book good? Some goon on the forums says it's missing stuff and whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JcDent posted:

So is the new fantasy book good? Some goon on the forums says it's missing stuff and whatever.

There's a lot of 'on page @@.' I haven't worked my way too far past character generation yet, but I like what I see.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

It's good but it needs a bit of work. Fourtounatly that's why it's a preview pdf and not the full version. (Which could literally come any time now.)

As 3 hours ago they posted this on their facebook. "We're finishing off the last of the amends to the WFRP Fourth Edition Rulebook, and should be uploading it soon."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I loved the extreme danger of the old magic system but you were always one roll away from ending your carefully crafted campaign with some "lol miscast. Time to roll new guys"

One forums game, we had an elf cast get the miscast that made the miscast effect it's entire close family (rolling again to see what the effect was) and it ended up getting the Sterility result. A single mage caused it's entire family line to end from one spell. And given how inbred elves are, the GM judged that it may have caused an entire High Elf house to be affected.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sounds like a heroic action to me. Only way it could've been better was if they were related to Dark Elves in any fashion.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JcDent posted:

So good. If you liked 2nd edition this is a straight upgrade with some nice modern touches.

Don't like percentile systems? Well, it is what it is.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now that W&G is out (and I've even played one of the starter adventures) i'm starting to feel like it's time to put into practice an old idea i've had for a campaign, that i've talked about itt before

the premise, put simply, is that an imperial crusade crash-lands on a heavily chaotic feudal world. The player characters are each the highest ranking representatives of their faction they're aware of, and their immediate goal is to pull together the fragments of their marooned crusade and carve a sanctuary from the midst of technologically primitive but sorcerously sophisticated chaos-worshiping local empires.

based on what i've seen of the system i think it'd play well at tier 3, with the players ascending to tiers 4 and 5 in the course of it. and given W&G's setting, the opening conceit that the ripping of the great rift was what crippled or destroyed the now crashed crusade fleet makes a lot of sense.

how well do you all think the system presented in the core book can handle that premise, which would involve a significant amount of military-scale combat? based on what I saw in play it can handle intrigue, diplomacy and general interpersonal stuff beautifully

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Please refer to it by its correct name, WanG.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm about to run a W&G campaign, where one player is gonna play an Ork, while the rest are probably gonna be humans/Space Marines. Anyone have any advice on how to make this work?
I was thinking that the Ork could be a mercenary that works with the Rogue Trader that is acting as the player's means of transportation. Maybe have the characters have some sort of Ordo Xenos signed Inquisitorial paperwork saying that the Ork is a lobotomized servitor-like project that is undergoing experiments (which isn't true, but would allow the Ork player to actually go places).

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm about to run a W&G campaign, where one player is gonna play an Ork, while the rest are probably gonna be humans/Space Marines. Anyone have any advice on how to make this work?
I was thinking that the Ork could be a mercenary that works with the Rogue Trader that is acting as the player's means of transportation. Maybe have the characters have some sort of Ordo Xenos signed Inquisitorial paperwork saying that the Ork is a lobotomized servitor-like project that is undergoing experiments (which isn't true, but would allow the Ork player to actually go places).

What's the campaign hook and what's the story with the other players?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Honestly still working that out. I have a first session/arc planned, where the PCs have to race a group of Chaos cultists to a feudal world to secure/kill a young Alpha Plus psyker found there. After that, I was gonna probably gonna wing it. Maybe sandbox in the Gilead System until they find a chaos plan to take it over? I am open to ideas and suggestions. Also, because it might be important, probably gonna be Tier 2-3, more likely 3.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
For those that have WanG, I would like some advice about encounter balancing. I would like to throw some daemons against the party but I’m unsure how many is appropriate. The party layout is an Astartes Apothecary, a Sanctioned Psyker, Eldar Ranger, Eldar Warlock, and Sister of Battle at Tier 3. I was thinking that since daemons are Elites at that tier, matching the PCs one for one would be a challenge but a just on this side of doable. Any thoughts?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Also desperate times which allows the rest of the players to ignore it not being true.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
If you're looking for inspiration other than desperate times, there's also a thing about "Sanctioned Xenos" in one of the Rogue Trader books. I believe it was elite advance (in the form of a brand or tattoo) that would cancel or reduce the fellowship penalty for interacting with Imperials, and was basically a excuse to bring xenos players onto human worlds without having to handwave them not being killed on sight.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Rogue Trader crew could work, though it'd take some doing to explain why you have a Space Marine who wouldn't kill the ork on sight.

there are a lot of SM chapters you'd have to rule out entirely because they're too fanatical to make that work.

And even if they're a Salamander or a Raven Guard or somesuch, it'd be quite a stretch.

Maybe set it a century or so in the future relative to the current 8th edition setting, and say that Guilliman's return has led to something of a decline in the Imperium's xenocidal tendencies. You could also make up something about how some relatively ~civilized orks have begun to appear in the galaxy, probably in response to Necron shenanigans.

alternatively just make the Space Marines be renegades who have thrown off their indoctrination without going full chaos.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What if the ork is a Blood Axe and kunningly disguises himself as an Ogryn or Dark Angel*?

* everyone expects the Dark Angel to be a weirdo in a full hood who never talks about himself and keeps sneaking off to do secret poo poo. Nobody would notice anything amiss.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 23, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PupsOfWar posted:

alternatively just make the Space Marines be renegades who have thrown off their indoctrination without going full chaos.
I think there are a handful of these in the fluff, smaller chapters mostly purged by Grey Knights over gene seed flaws or Inquisitorial grudges.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A renegade would work a lot better than saying that Girlyman led to less xenocidal tendencies; the man comes from the days of the Great Crusade when all sorts of xenos got exterminated: megarachnids, laer, those guys who wanted to be left alone, that shipborn race that DG shwacked, the vampire symbiotes that exterminated by poisoning the blood of people passing through the region, the works.

When they crushed orks on Ullanor, the paved over a continent for a triumph. Strange how nothing ever happened to that planet afterwards and it was never again used in the fluff in any way whatsoever.

So no, the Rowboat isn't a relic of a more lenient time.

Eldar could still fly, even Fulgrim set down to parlay with them in one book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Guilliman has no love for Xenos, but he is noted as being willing to work with them without the outright hatred many Imperials have, both because of the fact he is a pretty rational being, and also because he has found out he disagrees with the Emperor about a lot of things. But of course he is still one man, and him and lots of his views have not traveled to many worlds in the Imperium.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
One of the Space Marines is the one who hired the Ork, entirely by accident. He punched out an Evil Sunz so hard that their teeth exploded everywhere and now the Ork PC is embedded with a small fortune in shrapnel.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

JcDent posted:

A renegade would work a lot better than saying that Girlyman led to less xenocidal tendencies; the man comes from the days of the Great Crusade when all sorts of xenos got exterminated: megarachnids, laer, those guys who wanted to be left alone, that shipborn race that DG shwacked, the vampire symbiotes that exterminated by poisoning the blood of people passing through the region, the works.

So no, the Rowboat isn't a relic of a more lenient time.

I didn't suggest that because I imagined the Crusade era was more lenient - if anything it was worse, lacking M41's history of temporary desperate alliances with xenos - but because Guilliman is at a place where he's more or less realizing that his father was extremely wrong and bad about a lot of things. Once you've made the leap and realized your dad is evil, you're probably not far from questioning the ideology of universal xenocide he indoctrinated you with.

plus there's the whole pseudo-alliance with the Ynarri now - it's reasonable to imagine this could be extended to Tau, Kroot, etc. at some point. And once you've accepted kroot, a semi-civilized ork probably isn't that much of a stretch, to the Imperial mindset.

Most Imps are unaware that the Orks are an exceptionally virulent sentient bioweapon, after all - they just think of them as alien savages.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

I didn't suggest that because I imagined the Crusade era was more lenient - if anything it was worse, lacking M41's history of temporary desperate alliances with xenos - but because Guilliman is at a place where he's more or less realizing that his father was extremely wrong and bad about a lot of things. Once you've made the leap and realized your dad is evil, you're probably not far from questioning the ideology of universal xenocide he indoctrinated you with.

plus there's the whole pseudo-alliance with the Ynarri now - it's reasonable to imagine this could be extended to Tau, Kroot, etc. at some point. And once you've accepted kroot, a semi-civilized ork probably isn't that much of a stretch, to the Imperial mindset.

Most Imps are unaware that the Orks are an exceptionally virulent sentient bioweapon, after all - they just think of them as alien savages.

The difference between kroot and ork is that kroot are already be chum on people the don't chow on, while ork have genetically ingrained disdain for
1) anyone not ork
2) anyone smaller than them

That said, a Space Marine could probably tolerate a Rogue Trader's pet, on the account that any Marine sent to watch a quasi heretical Trader (that is, basically any Trader) is probably chosen for his ability to stomach bullshit that skirts on treason as long as it isn't about cavorting with the Ruinous Powers.

E: also, kroot and Tau are probably far from them mind of the average imperial citizen, being some upstart xenos in some alien backwater... unlike orks, which are everywhere all the time.

EE: ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ! BAHOOO! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That or he's a renegade Marine that did not go chaos that works as a mercenary or something and signed up with the Rogue Trader.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A Blood Raven assigned to steal the trader's voidship, and he's not about to let the fact that the rogue trader is a heretic blow the entire mission.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The Lone Badger posted:

A Blood Raven assigned to stealrecover the trader's voidship, and he's not about to let the fact that the rogue trader is a heretic blow the entire mission.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
an Ork campaign sounds hilarious.

"Oy, you boyz! Dem hoomies tink dey have sume type of new red paint that is more red then anythin else dey've ever seen! Our Speed Freaks want to make sure da hoomies buggies don't go fasta then deres, go get us dat red paint or I'll clobber ya!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I concur that an all ork campaign would be cool.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The real answer is to not let anyone be an orks because they'd be borning and almost guaranteed to be a troll option.

Like, I get the appeal of orks on tabletop, but not to roleplay. Especially in a setting mixed with humans and space marines.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Werix posted:

The real answer is to not let anyone be an orks because they'd be borning and almost guaranteed to be a troll option.

Like, I get the appeal of orks on tabletop, but not to roleplay. Especially in a setting mixed with humans and space marines.

Oh hey, I wasn't the only buzzkill.

Like I said: full ork party.

Ork ork ork

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like 40k Orks as an idea but it's unfortunately rare to see them played as anything other than walking memes (or racist caricatures because, however the speech was meant to read in 1980s UK, it just reads as "Urban Black stereotype" here).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well that Dark Heresy game I'm in went from weird to batshit last night. Turns out there's a good reason for all the Slaanesh cults we've been investigating, and for that Dark Eldar bomber that's been helping us - the pilot isn't Dark Eldar per se, she's Ynnari. This quiet Tau-Imperial border world is where the Tau have been warehousing and experimenting on a lot of captured Eldar technology, and between the Tau accidentally punching holes in reality with distort weapons and them thinning the warp in general by attracting Slaanesh's attention (mainly by disposing of experimental materials after experiments... including waystones), this innocuous little planet is in serious danger of bursting into a fully fledged warp storm or Slaaneshi demonic incursion. And there really is an Imperial liberation fleet soon to arrive, with the Inquisitors working with the Ynnari because no one wants a Slaanesh warp storm erupting.

Our party psyker considered all of this, walked into the nearest Imperial cathedral, recited the catechism, and blew his brains out with a laspistol. Can't say I blame him, and the player had been talking about needing to drop out anyway with the new semester being about to start.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cythereal posted:

Well that Dark Heresy game I'm in went from weird to batshit last night. Turns out there's a good reason for all the Slaanesh cults we've been investigating, and for that Dark Eldar bomber that's been helping us - the pilot isn't Dark Eldar per se, she's Ynnari. This quiet Tau-Imperial border world is where the Tau have been warehousing and experimenting on a lot of captured Eldar technology, and between the Tau accidentally punching holes in reality with distort weapons and them thinning the warp in general by attracting Slaanesh's attention (mainly by disposing of experimental materials after experiments... including waystones), this innocuous little planet is in serious danger of bursting into a fully fledged warp storm or Slaaneshi demonic incursion. And there really is an Imperial liberation fleet soon to arrive, with the Inquisitors working with the Ynnari because no one wants a Slaanesh warp storm erupting.

Our party psyker considered all of this, walked into the nearest Imperial cathedral, recited the catechism, and blew his brains out with a laspistol. Can't say I blame him, and the player had been talking about needing to drop out anyway with the new semester being about to start.

I know when I'm looking to warehouse ultra-high tech war spoils a planet on the ragged, bloody border with my primary (and vastly superior) enemy is the first place I think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

I know when I'm looking to warehouse ultra-high tech war spoils a planet on the ragged, bloody border with my primary (and vastly superior) enemy is the first place I think of.

Weebs, maaan.