Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How the hell is dropbox not making any money, their storage tier pricing is like double everyone else's plans

or is it that no one is biting on their enterprise offerings and Box and Google Drive are eating their lunch in that space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ate all the Oreos posted:

wait wind turbines are already on the top of tall towers, just add a winch and they can winch up big blocks of concrete

i'm sure they're structurally designed for that right

just need one on each side to balance it out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
worked fine in just cause, go for it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

How the hell is dropbox not making any money, their storage tier pricing is like double everyone else's plans

or is it that no one is biting on their enterprise offerings and Box and Google Drive are eating their lunch in that space

they're a feature, not a company

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

burn coal and recover all the CO2 and turn it back into coal and burn the coal again :thunk:

no, destroy every coal power plant forever, and then start in on knocking down the natural gas plants

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Dropbox should have gone for an acquisition because who would want to manage licensing for some third party network drive; it’s trivial for google and Microsoft to outplay them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lancemantis posted:

Dropbox should have gone for an acquisition because who would want to manage licensing for some third party network drive; it’s trivial for google and Microsoft to outplay them
stebe jorbs literally made that exact point to them a decade ago

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

while we're on it is there anything besides spideroak that does end to end encryption, i've used it for a while (there was an 'unlimited storage forever after one-time fee' deal i got a while back) but it's kinda slow lovely software that spikes my cpu all the time doing seemingly nothing and takes up several gigs of storage for its sqlite db

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FMguru posted:

stebe jorbs literally made that exact point to them a decade ago

And look what happened to him!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sisyphus concrete

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Kantrowitz/status/1031930040483598336

also lol

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1031937234734391298

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
No CFO since 2015? That's some Theranos type poo poo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

uber going public is going to own so loving much

i cant wait

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FCKGW posted:

speaking of ~cloud data~, is there a backup solution that doesn't loving suck now?? we use crashplan and it was actually good with very usable and tweakable software. since then they killed off their consumer-tier (didn't effect us) but obviously the mentality did because they released one of the worst software updates ive ever seen and made a super obtuse unusable piece of poo poo that doesn't even backup networked-shares (via nas). most important thing for us is backing up of networked shares.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
xaris what's with the new av

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/tqbf/status/1031951534937006090

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

but you only spent 1 AA getting it up there

unlike actual AA's where 6 would cost you 2,400 AA's

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

JawnV6 posted:

but you only spent 1 AA getting it up there

what

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

:thunk:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

"If not kinder and gentler at least more.... efficient" is something a super villain might say while looking out the window of his 50th floor corner office

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/PatrickGerard01/status/1031920228098355200

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

speaking of ~cloud data~, is there a backup solution that doesn't loving suck now?? we use crashplan and it was actually good with very usable and tweakable software. since then they killed off their consumer-tier (didn't effect us) but obviously the mentality did because they released one of the worst software updates ive ever seen and made a super obtuse unusable piece of poo poo that doesn't even backup networked-shares (via nas). most important thing for us is backing up of networked shares.

a lot of former crashplan users I know have moved to using Arq to back up to Amazon Glaciier

https://www.arqbackup.com/

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

cool so instead of blowing up someone's voicemail it will be annoying collector bots on ever social platform

jokes on them all social platforms are garbage

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

85% efficient vs. AA's, clocking in at a generous 0.17%

im sorry if its a little "mathy" for u

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

consistent with their record of denying deaths that actually happened

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

85% efficient vs. AA's, clocking in at a generous 0.17%

im sorry if its a little "mathy" for u

"but you only spent 1 AA getting it up there" is a bad way to convey that information, you spent 7 getting it up there but you have 6 you can get back later

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

"but you only spent 1 AA getting it up there" is a bad way to convey that information, you spent 7 getting it up there but you have 6 you can get back later

also assumes that batteries are only good for one charge

and that somehow the energy cost for creating a battery should not be compared to the energy costs for creating the industrial equipment needed for the concrete block system, much less the concrete itself

but yeah implying that it's a perpetual motion machine was what i was laughin at

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

https://mobile.twitter.com/justinhendrix/status/1031854193924034561

the whole thread is terrifying

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
in other news, the linchpin trial of the trump russia investigations is headed for a hung jury so, as predicted, get ready for the whole thing to become a national embarrassment as it peters out unceremoniously

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I don't really know what you're trying to prove with that battery calculation because clearly you have no sense of scale at the absolutely massive amounts water and energy raw materials to generate power at the multi-MW ranges. a 1 meter cube of cement is over 3ton so like... yeah a small thing has a small potential energy from gravity. no poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I don't really know what you're trying to prove with that battery calculation because clearly you have no sense of scale at the absolutely massive amounts water and energy raw materials to generate power at the multi-MW ranges. a 1 meter cube of cement is over 3ton so like... yeah a small thing has a small potential energy from gravity. no poo poo.

keep going you're almost there

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yc's philosophy is to try to get to the point where they fund you if you have a stanford degree and a pulse. roll that die

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

keep going you're almost there

no, that's it. are you going to refute the existence of pump storage projects now?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yc's philosophy is to try to get to the point where they fund you if you have a stanford degree and a pulse. roll that die

this thing is more likely to make money than most things yc funds

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

excellent, we now have empirical proof that the internet was a mistake. can we please shut it down now?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

no, that's it. are you going to refute the existence of pump storage projects now?

the comparison is manipulating 1 (one) ton of concrete using industrial equipment to around half a pound of battery

which is obviously kinda funny about how that translates when you change the medium and method like that

like they said, energy storage is difficult

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

this thing is more likely to make money than most things yc funds

without characteristic scale, to a first approximation, a venture capital firm is at the state of having made only two profitable investments

that is because the company sizes are radically unequal

in this case, it's airbnb and dropbox

zenefits is the third, a multibillion dollar company and yet still a fuckin rounding error, basically. thats why they roll the die

stripe is a multibillion dollar company that's somehow not even filled with assholes and they are still a fuckin rounding error

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ok here me out, what if you lift one ton of batteries when they're empty, then charge them when they're up in the air so they're very slightly heavier, and then recover the energy as they come back down

what if that