Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Shanty posted:

I'd let a Fighter explain why they can just hack and slash, though. Fighting well is the extraordinary thing the Fighter has, so I feel like it's good to play it up.
Depending on the situation maybe discern realities first, then H&S on a hit, DD on a partial and something soft on a miss?

Isn't Discern Realities supposed to be for careful, prolonged investigation though? I'd maybe think you'd want to do a Defy Danger (WIS) first - full success meaning you can do H&S with no penalties, partial means you can do H&S with some guaranteed consequences, or maybe a -1/-2 penalty. That's how I'd do it anyway, three rolls just seems like too much.

Hmm, now I want to incorporate some dark areas in my campaign to use this as a setpeice. Since Wizards and Clerics get Light, I'd probably have to have some sort anti-light magical darkness. None of the races have inherent darkvision like in D&D, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Isn't Discern Realities supposed to be for careful, prolonged investigation though?

I thought it was also used for things like “read the dynamic in the room”, but I could be wrong.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well it's a moot point anyway, they're both WIS rolls and that kind of rules lawyering is why I'm sick of D&D. Either way is probably fine and in the same spirit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Honestly I would probably just tell them to tick Confused until it wore off.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well it's a moot point anyway, they're both WIS rolls and that kind of rules lawyering is why I'm sick of D&D. Either way is probably fine and in the same spirit.
(from the Dogfucker playbook)
When you want to gently caress the dog, roll +WIS

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Subjunctive posted:

I thought it was also used for things like “read the dynamic in the room”, but I could be wrong.

The trigger is just "When you closely study a situation or person" so I can see the argument for it taking time. Matter of taste, I suppose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Discern Realities is Perception+Investigation check, for as much as that’s useful/fun.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Shanty posted:

Confused (WIS): Ears ringing. Vision blurred.

The end approaches.

On that note, is there an adaptation for Darkest Dungeon for DW yet? I thought I remembered there being one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dazed, reeling, about to break!

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Well, there's always Torchbearer

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s also Blades against Darkness, which apparently is pretty rough but might get good at some point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kujeger posted:

Well, there's always Torchbearer

Yes, the Darkest Dungeon promo RPG sessions were run with a variant of Torchbearer.

Speaking of darkness.

Infinite Oregano posted:

If a PC is attempting to fight blind, this falls under Defy Danger, right?

No, trying to fight blind falls under "a stupid idea that'll get you skewered". Trying to fight blind when you've trained to fight blind is a different matter.

In that case, if you deliberately prep yourself to fight blind because medusas exist or something, I'd borrow a page from Blades in the Dark and worsen your position - the move still operates as normal, but I reserve the right to go even more ham than usual unless you hit it with a 10 and don't get greedy.

Even if you were trained to fight blind, if you suddenly get blinded in the thick of combat because poison-spitting snakes exist or something, I'd lean into a DD +Wis to keep your wits about you and remember your training, after which point you're just operating at a worse position again.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Wondering if I could crowd source some ideas

I did character creation for my whale hunt last week and everyone is stoked to get on the hunt
I want to dive right into their first asset they need and I want to make it dynamic, so their input flows into exactly what they are doing and what asset they are currently trying to get, then I'll throw them into the action wherever they are

That said, I'm trying to compile a list of quest primers so later in the game I can glance down it, pick one and get them going, rather than having to sit and think of something at the time

Here's the ones I've got so far, notice they don't have any complications, I'll write them later. Things like "...but other groups are looking for it too" or "...but it may be incomplete"
Right now I want just primers for the core of the quest to get a thing

A person of note has acquired what you need. Acquire it back

What you need which had been lost has just been found

Someone is selling what you need

Someone went looking for what you need but never returned

What you need was last seen in a distant land

Any suggestions?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Rumor has it that the formula is incorrect. Find someone who can tell you if what you need is really what you need.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaffo posted:

Wondering if I could crowd source some ideas

Grab "Dark Heart of the Dreamer" and look at the job creation and updating framework in the back. That'll give you a randomizer structure to plug all these nouns and verbs into.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Are they going to need a crew besides themselves? Might be fun to tie a colourful crewmember to each thing they need.

Sam Strangename is one of the few people who can acquire and prepare raw [the thing you need]. What's more, he's one of the very few people dumb enough to sell his services against the embargoes of the Whaling Houses. Now you've finally found him. Sadly, he's in one of the Earl's cells, awaiting the rope-and-spears in the morning.
They told you Sally Sailortheme [maintains] her [whaling mcguffin] better than anyone. They told you she was desperate for new employment. This was all true, and now you're in the tavern back room with her and a hastily-signed contract, and she's explaining that the noise from outside is probably her previous employer, underworld kingpin Pin Kington, who wants to discuss her severance.
A [navigational instrument] isn't a thing, it's a person. The monks of Hard'tofind valley attune their senses to the winds around them and are invaluable to those whaling crews who brave the jungle dangers and successfully petition the Grand Master to take on one of his students. Up to your knees in the quicksand and surrounded by [jungle monsters], you can't help but wonder if that map you bought was the real deal.

That sort of thing!

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Thanks guys, I'll checkout the above, and NPCS defiantly are an asset! I'll nick those too :sun:

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I've got a big campaign coming up. One that will probably run for the next 8 months (one great thing about playing with co-workers). We've been doing some world creation together with some other games and a little Microscope and we've got a pretty non-traditional setting that's going to require some mechanical tweaking on my part. I'm not looking to make moves wholesale if I can help it, so I thought I'd ask if anyone knew some moves (or systems from other World games) that already exist for the following:

-radiation-like danger (we have a type of magical radiation)

-Magic that does not come from the PC, but rather from an implement (so probably something to do with hold). We have places of power, like vanilla DW, but they are connected by leylines and magic is harnessed via special crystals or items carved from said crystals.

-playbooks with non-traditional spells / playbooks that have a cleric-like class without the god stuff (our gods have fled).

-ways to let players build classes easily (I am considering using Class Warfare, but man that thing is going to be hard for some of my players to follow and create with).

Pretty likely that I already own some things that have this stuff, but searching through it all is exhausting and it's likely someone out there knows of something and can point me in the right direction. I am playing with the idea of mashing together some of the best parts of Streets of Marienburg and very light Star Wars World-like playbooks that allow expansion of moves by the players.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

There's a pretty good warlock playbook floating around with a spell list I like, a shaman one with a spell list I haven't looked much at, and "the technician" from Adventures on a Dungeon Planet which is explicit a cleric-replacement with a cool and useful spell list but may have flavor issues as it's pretty tied to the planetary romance or science fantasy genre.

For "item based magic" Inverse World has you covered with The Collector. It's pretty much exactly what you're describing and an explicit wizard replacement, although it doesn't use a spell list.

A question of my own: Is there some reason I shouldn't let all my goddamn players in a row roll discern realities or spout lore? Discern realities takes time, and I make those failed rolls come back to bite them in the rear end with GM moves, but my party always feels a little cheap when someone is like "I didn't see anything" and then someone else immediately rolls to do the same thing (although they do it anyway.) I've explicitly told them at times that various complications got added because they took too much time or rolled a bunch of failures, so they're at least theoretically informed of the possible trade-offs, but it still feels to them kinda cheap and to me seems somehow not very much in the spirit of the narrative - when would a situation like that ever come up in an ensemble TV show or comic book? Spout Lore seems even more problematic because it doesn't have the built in time constraint, but luckily my players don't chain-fail those rolls and are more accepting if I'm like "nah you wouldn't know anything about that" if their character clearly wouldn't.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Digital Osmosis posted:

my party always feels a little cheap when someone is like "I didn't see anything" and then someone else immediately rolls to do the same thing (although they do it anyway.)

If you roll a 6- on Discern Realities, that means the GM is free to make a move. Generally, the results of that move should be such that your players don't have time to make a Discern Realities immediately after.

Like, maybe as they were searching the room they revealed a trap and now it's on fire, or maybe the search took so long that a patrol has found them (Show Signs Of Approaching Danger), or maybe their torches are now starting to run low (Use Up Resources). But a 6- is never just 'you find nothing'.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I get what you're saying, and you're not doing it wrong. You're thinking off-screen and making things occur in the world, but the problem is players never worry about that stuff (until it comes around to bite them). The trick, like stated above, is give them a complication they can't ignore to move the plot along.

"Oh hey, you found [thing/place/person], only now you see torchlight and hear voices coming down the hall. Sounds like the watch, what do you do?"

Also thanks for the recommendations for playbooks. I was eying The Collector as one to modify for our game and didn't even think about Dungeon Planet, which could help with reflavoring a cleric.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What does everyone do to introduce players that have some D&D experience to Dungeon World? I’m setting up a game for Thursday, and I’m not sure what the players need to know coming into a PbtA game. The concepts of “to go it, do it” and “fiction means move” are about all they need to know off the bat, I think. Should I be going into further detail than that?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Pollyanna posted:

What does everyone do to introduce players that have some D&D experience to Dungeon World? I’m setting up a game for Thursday, and I’m not sure what the players need to know coming into a PbtA game. The concepts of “to go it, do it” and “fiction means move” are about all they need to know off the bat, I think. Should I be going into further detail than that?

I'd tell them that combat flows according to the narrative - a lot of former D&D players have trouble grocking initiative-less combat in my experience - and re-iterate that narrative rules all. Tell them to think about going at it how they played D&D when they were kids and didn't fully understand the rules.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

What does everyone do to introduce players that have some D&D experience to Dungeon World?

I pry their eyes open like in Clockwork Orange only instead of seeing images of violence it's people playing D&D.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Overemotional Robot posted:

I pry their eyes open like in Clockwork Orange only instead of seeing images of violence it's people playing D&D.

Harsh, but fair.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'd tell them that combat flows according to the narrative - a lot of former D&D players have trouble grocking initiative-less combat in my experience - and re-iterate that narrative rules all. Tell them to think about going at it how they played D&D when they were kids and didn't fully understand the rules.

Sounds good - I think I’ve managed to get that across well enough. We’ll find out.

For this game tomorrow, I really want to keep the action flowing. A lot of games I’ve been in recently have been super meandering where nothing really happens and we spend a good 30 minutes listening to someone talk about the housing situations of dwarves or whatever. Last time that came up I almost started swinging my weapon just so something would happen, I was so bored. :(

jadarx
May 25, 2012
Is there any resource that adds the full range of alignments/races for the Dungeon World core classes? Or replaces alignment/race completely like many third party classes did?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

jadarx posted:

Is there any resource that adds the full range of alignments/races for the Dungeon World core classes? Or replaces alignment/race completely like many third party classes did?

From the OP you can check out:
From elsewhere on the Interwebs:

zarathud fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 14, 2018

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Digital Osmosis posted:

In addition to this, say that instead of treating it like the "combat game" and "everything else game" when stuff gets dangerous and violent think of it as an action scene instead of a tense sneaking scene or trap dismantling scene. There might be a fight in an action scene, but also an environmental hazard like a burning building or crumbling cavern. Creating situations with a few layers of threat or mystery or challenge can help break the players out of tactical minis mode.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My players want to keep the Dungeon World sessions going! :dance:

Now I gotta figure out what happens when you run more than one session. Fronts ‘n maps ‘n poo poo I think.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

madadric posted:

In addition to this, say that instead of treating it like the "combat game" and "everything else game" when stuff gets dangerous and violent think of it as an action scene instead of a tense sneaking scene or trap dismantling scene. There might be a fight in an action scene, but also an environmental hazard like a burning building or crumbling cavern. Creating situations with a few layers of threat or mystery or challenge can help break the players out of tactical minis mode.

All DW players and DMs should be required to watch the Indiana Jones movies before they're allowed to play.

And probably the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy, just to be safe.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Pollyanna posted:

My players want to keep the Dungeon World sessions going! :dance:

Now I gotta figure out what happens when you run more than one session. Fronts ‘n maps ‘n poo poo I think.

That's awesome, congrats!

Your first instinct is going to be to try and create detailed fronts for half the world. you don't need to do a lot of this. When I run DW, I basically use Fronts to organize my thoughts but don't nail everything down. one or two fronts that focus on the things the PCs are involved in or care about can be all you need for the second session. Don't worry about overarching campaign fronts until something comes forward as a big long term issue for the PCs to get involved in. You won't get bogged down or overwhelmed in prep, and you'll have enough to react to the players actions.

Write yourself questions you can explore during play.

"What's the blacksmith so salty at the fighter about?"
"What's the local lord's scheme to stave off financial ruin, and how does it exploit the PCs?"
"What are the city watch doing about all the murders?"
"When will the raiders strike from the north?"

If you like improvisational play, keep it loose and discover what's going on in your setting with your players!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
It is extremely cool to have a few concrete fronts going on, though. Really lights a fire under your players when they gently caress around like you would in D&D and you just keep springing portents on them.
Last session my players made the tough choice to leave town and pursue a nebulous hint in a quest for the greater good instead of rushing out and cracking heads on the two dangers poised to eat the city, and it was GREAT.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

madadric posted:

That's awesome, congrats!

Your first instinct is going to be to try and create detailed fronts for half the world. you don't need to do a lot of this. When I run DW, I basically use Fronts to organize my thoughts but don't nail everything down. one or two fronts that focus on the things the PCs are involved in or care about can be all you need for the second session. Don't worry about overarching campaign fronts until something comes forward as a big long term issue for the PCs to get involved in. You won't get bogged down or overwhelmed in prep, and you'll have enough to react to the players actions.

Write yourself questions you can explore during play.

"What's the blacksmith so salty at the fighter about?"
"What's the local lord's scheme to stave off financial ruin, and how does it exploit the PCs?"
"What are the city watch doing about all the murders?"
"When will the raiders strike from the north?"

If you like improvisational play, keep it loose and discover what's going on in your setting with your players!

Hummm, yeah I'm drawing up the fronts right now in prep for session #2. I'm wondering how to approach it, and how much to make in advance. Your advice seems pretty sound - I'm considering keeping it to 1 or 2 adventure fronts for now, and draw up a campaign front once the world gets explored a little bit more.

I wonder how much I should use the players in the fronts. Should the fronts be related to the characters, or independent of them?

Thinking about the process too, which wants me to come up with an overarching front first. The book talks a lot about putting together dangers, what grim portents are, and how to make custom moves, but it doesn't talk about putting the fronts themselves together. I get that the dangers and portents n poo poo make up the front, but how do I start? Do I just come up with a random name, even if it's way too early or nothing important has even been revealed?

Best I've got is a vaguely defined cult, a run down village, and a lovely dungeon. Gotta start somewhere, I guess.

Edit: Hold up - a cult is considered an Ambitious Organization, right? That's a danger, not a front. Am I supposed to use something more vaguely defined and overarching than a cult as a front?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 18, 2018

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Hey, what do y'all think about this?

https://plus.google.com/communities/111698539549372691411

I've looked it over and it makes a lot of changes that I kind of dig, but a few that I think are a little silly.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Pollyanna posted:

Edit: Hold up - a cult is considered an Ambitious Organization, right? That's a danger, not a front. Am I supposed to use something more vaguely defined and overarching than a cult as a front?

A cult is an organization. A cult's plans are a front. More specifically, the front is what the cult is going to do if the PCs don't get involved and stop them. It's there so you can go "hey, there's a cult" and "hey, that cult's getting really big" and "hey, that cult just kidnapped the mayor's daughter" before going "Garbax the Devourer just got summoned, and I gave you more than enough warning to realize this is a problem".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

A cult is an organization. A cult's plans are a front. More specifically, the front is what the cult is going to do if the PCs don't get involved and stop them. It's there so you can go "hey, there's a cult" and "hey, that cult's getting really big" and "hey, that cult just kidnapped the mayor's daughter" before going "Garbax the Devourer just got summoned, and I gave you more than enough warning to realize this is a problem".

poo poo, then I'm not sure what the hell I came up with. It's not specific to the cult itself, more like centered around a dungeon and MacGuffin I pulled out of my rear end in the first session. The dangers are the various forces involved and how their success would (will?) change the world.

Is there any chance I can get a critique of my Front?

quote:

Name: Rusty Ruins (WIP)

Front Type: Adventure?

Description: The College of Archaeology has contracted our heroes to delve into the newly risen ruins and wrest control of the Engine of Extinction from the mystery cult garrisoned within. What is this strange cabal planning? Why does the College want the Engine? And what are these ruins, really?

Cast:

- Konak, the lazy village elder
- Nez, the mechanic and black sheep of the village
- Lisa Frank, the moony cult leader
- Smash Lampjaw, Archaeologist Extraordinaire

Stakes:

- What does Erithea's Awakening herald for Immolator's future?
- What did Smash Lampjaw do to Bard's family?
- How did Fragmentus corrupt Ranger's people?

---

Danger: Fragmentus

Type: Mystery Cult

Impending Doom: The Starchild shatters the minds of the people and begins the Moulting

- The Library of Alexandria falls
- Hydra's Key is divined from the stars
- The Seed of Truth is implanted in the Engine

---

Danger: Erithea's Corpse

Type: Living Ruins

Impending Doom: The Plane of Elemental Energy (name to be workshopped) merges with our own

- The Phages rise from their crypts
- The Scaffolding is complete
- The Immortal Drum beats once more

---

Danger: College of Archaeology

Type: Thieves' Guild?

Impending Doom: The College usurps the Federation and rules the land with the Power of Extinction

- The Forward Base is claimed
- The villagers are silenced
- The Engine is secured and extracted

I mean, I don't dislike it, but I don't even know if this is a campaign or an adventure front. I also worry that I've been too prescriptive in what happens as things progress, and too presumptive of what the players want to do or say about the world.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 18, 2018

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh

Overemotional Robot posted:

Hey, what do y'all think about this?

https://plus.google.com/communities/111698539549372691411

I've looked it over and it makes a lot of changes that I kind of dig, but a few that I think are a little silly.

It's good as far as I can tell. The main things are that the playbooks have a lot more customization at level 1 and it's imported good stuff from Perilous Wilds.

Im a big fan of letting players redo some character creation after the second session - I think you can do vanilla DW for a session or two and if people want, transition over to these playbooks for some additional customization.

I also recomend going with single roll for H&S/Volley for damage: on success, take the lower d6 and add the class modifier.

What do you think is weakest?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I don't like d6 with mod damage in place of DWs way of doing. Even though this makes more sense, sometimes rolling different die is fun.

That's a small gripe and one the makers have expressed might change back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The more I look over my front, the less happy I am with it. The cast is okay, but I don’t think I have the ideas of fronts, dangers, and portents down right.

How do I know I’ve made a good portent? Is a front supposed to represent the whole of the “battlefield”, or just a particular sticky situation? How much scope is a front supposed to cover? What’s really the difference between a campaign and an adventure front? If I’m just starting a new campaign and there’s very little said about the world so far, should I make an adventure front or a campaign front first?