Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Milotic posted:

I have no idea what this word means, but all these people exhaust me. Probably skim read, I can’t be bothered to bold it

My friend (30F) says I'm (26F) being racist; am I?

I used to hang out in an IRC room with a thotbot, about a decade or so ago.

That Ho Over There

e: excellent page snipe I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
That's OUR word for putting down women!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm not really sure how we got from "it's really tacky and kind of hosed-up for white people to use AAVE in an ironic sense" to "white people may use no word with AAVE origins in any context ever" but Internet discussion spaces do not leave room for nuance

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Milotic posted:

I have no idea what this word means, but all these people exhaust me. Probably skim read, I can’t be bothered to bold it

"quit stealing our sexist insults, you racist!" :confused:

People who screech about this kind of poo poo are universally worthless.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this.

It was incredibly reckless to not only break into the house but to bring a real knife? Jesus they are lucky they really didn't get shot.

And there's only their word it was a prank.

Who brings a loving knife to a joke? Yeah, no one does.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
pretty messed up that aave appropriated "thot" from the breen

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Pick posted:

pretty messed up that aave appropriated "thot" from the breen

I don't remember that part of Fateful Findings.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And there's only their word it was a prank.

Who brings a loving knife to a joke? Yeah, no one does.
You know you're hosed the best case scenario is "we're incredibly loving stupid and brought a knife just as a prank, without considering how likely it was to get us arrested or shot."

Although considering the social media :qq:ing about this ruining their lives, I wouldn't be surprised if these were popular kids/members of the locally-important football team/kids with important parents, and this is the first time they've ever had a real consequence for their bullshit.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Milotic posted:

your mid 20s is when you start to realize which of your friends are a waste of time and a drag on your life

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
little miss GUN to a KNIFE FIGHT

what have you DOOOONE with HEEEERRRR

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Milotic posted:

OP needs to stop talking to that thot.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The "cultural appropriation" argument has a razor thin border between "legitimate" and "laughable." I remember seeing someone on Facebook get butthurt because white ladies do yoga for exercise. Like, if that falls under your personal definition of cultural appropriation, you're probably a dumbass.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

loquacius posted:

Sometimes callout-culture people have a legitimate point, sometimes they're just garbage people who jump at the opportunity to put someone else down in public and feel righteous while doing it

At any rate this person certainly does not consider herself to be OP's friend and OP should probably do likewise

Yeah, there have been a few articles/news stories that in recent years I struggle to find the energy to be nearly as offended as the author would like me to be and they're almost always about cultural appropriation. I know it's a real thing and can certainly be problematic, but it feels like people go over board with the calling out of it lately.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

The "cultural appropriation" argument has a razor thin border between "legitimate" and "laughable." I remember seeing someone on Facebook get butthurt because white ladies do yoga for exercise. Like, if that falls under your personal definition of cultural appropriation, you're probably a dumbass.

I don't think it's as complicated as people make it out to be. Not everything from another culture is sacred. Don't gently caress with the sacred stuff. a native american warrior headdress has a sacred quality, don't gently caress with it. quesadillas aren't sacred and you can have one

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I think the only time cultural appropriation is a problem is when the original source isn't credited or respected.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
[PA] My parents keep sending me money without my approval, how can I stop this

quote:

I am 24/m

Admittedly, I have been in a rough patch financially, I work as a server/bartender and have been bouncing around a bit. Also, admittedly I have had some issues related to cash flow over the past six months.

I graduated college around a year ago now and have been struggling to find a professional job due to my own stupidity.

I made the mistake a few months ago of admitting that I was struggling financially to my parents. I was just trying to be honest and upfront about my position, I took 100% blame for my predicament and when my parents offered offered to pay my rent I declined (I got a full scholarship for school and they paid my rent for my first year and I have paid all my expenses since then).

Sadly my bank account is the same I started when I was like 14 and my mother is also on the account. I am hesitant to change it as it's actually a great deal for me (I started it at bank A which was baught by bank B which was baught by bank C so I'm grandfathered into a really good account including free checks, priority service, cheap security boxes, etc).

So my mother simply transferred the money for my rent without my permission. I told her I wasn't comfortable with this but I would accept it this time because I understand they want to help me out. I also told them that I would not accept any more money from them as I wanted to be my own person, not a brat who goes to mommy and daddy every time I am struggling.

But they continue to pester me. Whenever I call them, or come to visit their first question is how I'm doing financially. If I answer anything other then, 'Im doing great, I have millions of dollars (note that they can check my bank account)' they will send me a few hundred dollars to, 'tide me over.' I've told them I don't want their help and I want to be independent. If I have to eat ramen for a week, so loving be it. Throughout this I've never been at the point where I can't pay my basic expenses, though there have been times where I've been pretty broke after my expenses. Which sucks, but is a part of 20-something life nowadays.

I'm tired of them just sending me cash. The one time I legitimately needed their help I told them I needed $100 to make rent and tide me over. They sent $700. I made my displeasure known, but any time I suggest maybe just let me have my own life they act like I'm not grateful. I'm very thankful I have a family in the position to help me if I really need it, but in my mind that's a last ditch option! My parents are in their late-60s and while they make a good amount of money ($250k+) they should be thinking about retiring and supporting my younger siblings (20/in college paid for by them and 13/in high school) not their adult son who isn't capable enough to even get a professional job.

My question is if there is any legal way to stop them from sending money to me without completely changing banks.

Related to earlier "pedophile" post:

Have I been blacklisted from getting married? [PA]

quote:

My fiancee and I are in a hurry to get married due to having been kicked off of my parents' insurance after they disowned me. It's a long story I'd rather not get into here. I am 21 and he is 24. After getting the certificate, we got an appointment to get married at the local court house. All seemed well until the judge asked me how long we'd been together. I told him we met when I was 14. Now we didn't begin dating until I was 18, for the record. Still the judge seemed disgusted, accused my fiancee of grooming me, and told me we were not allowed to get married in this state.

I was shocked by his reaction and despite trying to explain, he would not hear it. Now we are in a pinch, and I have no idea what to do. Will I be able to get married elsewhere or were we blacklisted from getting married in PA? I've tried looking this up but I have been unable to find information on this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

I think the only time cultural appropriation is a problem is when the original source isn't credited or respected.

the discourse has also gotten stupid because a lot of the things associated w/ one culture now can't be exclusively accredited to that culture either. cultures have been mixing a long time.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Buying baguettes at Walmart is worse than Hitler

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wife [32F] went away for part of her pregnancy. Now I [36M] feel a little distant and angry. Help getting over it.

quote:

1.5 years married. 2.5 years together before marriage.

Relationship has always been as perfect as can be. She’s my absolute world and everything is about her. She’s the funniest, most beautiful, clever, interesting, fun person. My best friend. We’ve had arguments here and there of course but noting big.

Before she got pregnant she asked me to do one date night a week without phones. She also said she felt hurt that when I was out with her I was always eager to text friends but when I was out without her I’d take a while to respond to her texts. She doesn’t expect text conversations when I’m out but she just likes me checking in once every few hours.

When she got pregnant, work got intense. Three of four of my most competent co-workers had illnesses that saw them out at the same time. I would come home around 8-8.30 (normal) but I’d still be e-mailing and texting until about 10. Sometimes she’d say, “did you hear what I just said? Cos you didn’t respond/acknowledge.” And I would have heard what she said but was focused on a work e-mail/text. Sometimes she’d know this but most of the time she doesn’t see what I’m doing on my phone.

A couple of months in she said that she felt really lonely being pregnant here (in NY) and wanted to go back to her family in London. She moved to NY about a year ago who when we got married. She said she appreciates the friends she’s made but she’d feel better at home with family and friends especially since I was so busy with work. Everyone is so excited for her (only daughter of 4 boys) and she said she’d feel less alone and more excited to be around present people because she was also scared/nervous about being pregnant with no support system constantly around. I was reluctant but couldn’t say no.

She went at 3months. She’s back at 6. She said that she would have stayed and given birth there but she knew she’d regret it forever if I couldn’t make it there for the birth. She didn’t trust that a work emergency wouldn’t come up. She went when she wasn’t showing, now she is. I spent a few weeks there in between when I could. Trouble is, she is her usual happy, loving, affectionate self and I can’t help but feel angry and distant (haven’t shown her this). I feel like I’ve missed out on 3 months of her pregnancy and she willingly chose to not have me around. I love her, this was not how i envisioned our first pregnancy to be like.

How do I fix this?

:cry:’I ignored my wife for the first trimester, so she went to be with family for the second. This isn’t how I envisioned our first pregnancy at all!’:cry:

He also claims ‘my love language is gifts’ and he was giving her everything she wanted (yanno, except for making time for her).

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Cultural exchange is good and a huge part of why we dont kill each other near as much as we used to.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wife [32F] went away for part of her pregnancy. Now I [36M] feel a little distant and angry. Help getting over it.
Sometimes she’d say, “did you hear what I just said? Cos you didn’t respond/acknowledge.” And I would have heard what she said but was focused on a work e-mail/text.

That's it, gently caress this guy. People who do that poo poo are vermin.

"Yeah, I heard you repeating yourself over and over. I just didn't feel like responding in any way."

Booyah on pregnant lady for knowing she deserved to not be treated like crap.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
(Kentucky) Teacher mentioned my brother by name, said smoking pot resulted in him getting addicted to drugs and eventually commit suicide. He is alive and healthy in medical school.

quote:

My brother was kind of famous in school. Great academically and in sports. Really sucks for me because I'm expected to follow in his footsteps and always fall short.

This teacher was warning us of the dangers of smoking pot and basically went on to describe everything my brother did during school, even mentioned his first name, then said his mistake in life was smoking pot and having sex before marriage which led him down the path of debauchery and self-destruction. Teacher said he finally committed suicide last year and he was present at the funeral, wishing he'd done something!

Aaand my brother is alive and well. Talked to him just 2 hours ago. He never smoked pot, never had drug addiction and most importantly never committed suicide! I stayed in class to tell the teacher that he was mistaken but he said "who are you to question me? You think you know better than me?" (Well I really do! He's my freaking brother)

Vice principal said I can't prove that he was speaking about my brother, it's possible he was speaking about someone else. This is such nonsense, the teacher was so detailed and he even dropped his first name once. It's more than obvious he was talking about my brother.

From what I understand he's been telling this to other classes. How can I stop this?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pvt.Scott posted:

Buying baguettes at Walmart is worse than Hitler

This, but unironically

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

(Kentucky) Teacher mentioned my brother by name, said smoking pot resulted in him getting addicted to drugs and eventually commit suicide. He is alive and healthy in medical school.

Start telling people the teacher touched you

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Get a different teacher to let you have your brother come in as a guest speaker and talk about med school.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Haifisch posted:

It seems like this kid thinks his brother is a bigger deal that he really is. I mean, the teacher is an idiot for saying stupid stuff like that, but are the other kids in the class really going to know who the teacher is talking about? And if they do know who he was supposedly talking about since he was so exceptional, wouldn't they have known if he committed suicide?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Leon Einstein posted:

It seems like this kid thinks his brother is a bigger deal that he really is. I mean, the teacher is an idiot for saying stupid stuff like that, but are the other kids in the class really going to know who the teacher is talking about? And if they do know who he was supposedly talking about, wouldn't they have known if he committed suicide?

OP posted:

I'm already getting mocked by everyone for having a drug addicted brother who killed himself. Everyone could make that connection.
No idea how they don't realize that the brother's not dead if they could make the connection that easily, though.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

dudeness posted:

Get a different teacher to let you have your brother come in as a guest speaker and talk about med school.

Class, today you will be visited by Weed Ghost. You will become addicted to the weed, unless you write "Stay Safe Weed Ghost" 40 times on the chalkboard

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
OP is divorcing his wife just because she's a little picky:

Came home to my wife in a great mood and my Xbox all muddy and full of holes.

quote:

So, I came home from work last night, thinking I would unwind and play some GTA. To my bewilderment, my xbox was right were it always is, but it was super muddy and full of holes. Big holes. Specifically, what looked like pick axe holes. I picked up the console, showed it to my wife, and calmly asked for an explanation. Her response was two words: "pest control".

I get it. I do. I've been gaming a lot lately. I've asked her several times to go shopping with me at our "local" outlet malls for new clothes. I've asked her countless times to get out of the house for dates that I know she likes. I quit trying to seduce her months ago because she gets verbally abusive. I've asked her politely countless times to pitch in with cleaning/cooking (she sits around reading or watching TV whenever she isn't out with her girlfriends). I've asked her hundreds of times to spend less time with her girlfriends and more time with me. I suggested counseling, which only causes fighting. Most recently, I bought box seat opera tickets (her favorite) to surprise her and ended up going by myself. Every time my suggestions end in a fight with her yelling at me to leave her alone as she locks herself in the bedroom until I leave. After getting absolutely nowhere with exhaustive communication attempts, I decided to buy an xbox to spend some free time with, but apparently that's a no-no too.

Good thing I didn't get a dog. I hate to think what she would have done to the poor thing.

Most recently, I've been suspecting her of two-timing; she hasn't come home a couple of times this month and her friends all tell me that she wasn't with them.

I've got the divorce papers right in front of me. This is not who I married and I do not intend to subject myself to this abuse anymore. To sign, or not to sign...

quote:

Sign and have them served to her with the words "pest control" being the only thing said.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Neophyte posted:

OP is divorcing his wife just because she's a little picky:

Came home to my wife in a great mood and my Xbox all muddy and full of holes.

Jesus.

Shouldn't even be a question.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Those aren't pick axe holes those are Speed Holes.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Ummm. I am just going to put this here.

quote:

Me [21 ] with my fiance [29 M] for 4 years. For most part it's a dream relationship but I'm worried he might be gay and I'm setting myself up for heartbreak

u/ismyfiancegay

Hey everyone...throwaway for obvious reasons. And I want to say strait out that I have no problems whatsoever with people who are gay. I live in a pretty small southern town so don't know many gay people but still...no issues whatsoever! My only issue would be that if he is gay, he needs to be honest with both of us because maybe I'm not what he needs! On to my question...

I met my now fiance four years ago, while we weren't techinically "together" until I turned 18...we really were inseparable and have so much in common. When I turned 18 our relationship turned physical and I truly felt that I found my soulmate (and even if he is gay, I will be his best friend forever). He proposed over Christmas and even with these lingering thoughts in my head, I still gladly said yes.

The issue comes in that he ALWAYS wants to have anal sex. I don't mind it every once in a while but I just can't do it more than like once every few months. I know this may sound trivial but, I mean it is a daily begging session from him for him to let me do it. That's weird in itself but he REFUSES to go down on me, or even look at my vagina. Like he's terrified of it. He will touch me with his hands for about a minute and then he's ready to touch my butt. I have groomed, seen my gyno to see if there's something wrong...but no...everything is ok down there. Because I was so young when we got together, I have never experienced oral (on me, I give him oral a lot) but really want to.

The other thing is his relationship with his friends...they hang out all the time. And it's not just hanging out, its like shirtless camping trips, shirtless trips on speed boats, shirtless facebook pics while they are in trucks. It all looks very fratboy like but in a lot of the pics, it looks like my fiance eyes are caught just staring lovingly at his friends. The other thing that they will do is go into the biggest city close to us and go what they call "f-- bashing" where they throw bottles and stuff at the people in line at the club they think is gay. He was arrested for it last year and got off the charges and hasn't done it since but it's still a red flag I guess because I think he might be trying to cover his true feelings up. Oh and I almost forgot, while his friends get like Sports Illustrated swimsuit posters and magazines, my boyfreind subscribes to lots of weight lifting magazines and tears out pictures and posts them on his door, fridge, wall, etc... saying that's the new physique he's going for.

He is such a great guy in so many other ways that I'm just really torn here. If he is gay I want him to come out so he can be happy...if he's not I want some minor changes to his behavior and to not be so into my butt and show me some "normal" attention to my vagina.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever been in this scenario and if there's any advice you might have.

I'm also wondering should I just ask him openly if he may be gay? Or should I just assume that he may be and move on to someone who I know will give me more of what I want?

Thank you in advance.

TL;DR: - fiance raises some major red flags that he might be gay. Should I ask him directly, accept him for who he is or move on?

He sounds pretty gay what with the whole disgust at everything but your butt and that is quite an age gap. Worse of course is that he attacks and harasses people for fun. That is bad when you are a stupid college kid and worse when you are almost 30. Why is his possibly being gay the big issue when he is doing that? Maybe you should break up?

Oh wait, a follow up post:

quote:

Me 21F with my EX-fiance 29M, just broke up with him after asking him directly if he was gay. He become insanely angry and I had to hide in his closet until my brother (who is a parish sheriff deputy) could get me.

u/ismyfiancegay

It's been a crazy day to say the least...the most insane day of my life. Background is here I guess from a post I made this morning:

/r/relationships/comments/34q3wq/me_21_with_my_fiance_29_m_for_4_years_for_most/

Today me and EX!!!!! did all the usual stuff, went to church, dinner at his grandma's house...

We live in a small town and one thing that happens here is that they reeducate young prisoners (I can't think of the word for the program) at a halfway house by teaching them to take care of horses. So its really often that you will see them riding their horses next to the main highway through our town. Today we were driving back to my Daddy's house and my fiance looked at two of the guys and said something like "Oh man, I'd like to take a ride on those! The horses of course...but the guys ain't bad!" It's not uncommon for him to have told jokes like this and I would always just let it slide and maybe laugh.

But today I looked and said "I've really been wondering if maybe, just maybe you like men? In that way?"

He just kind of looked at me and I said "It's ok if you do, I still love you but some of the things you do are just make me wonder"

At this point he just slammed on the gas to my daddy's house and said something like "don't you ever call me a f--"

I was terrified and tried to calm him down and said "thats not what I'm saying please slow down...I just want you to be happy"

He kept speeding up and took the turn and was going like 85 down a 35 mph two-lane. He screeched into the drive and slammed the breaks. I was terrified to see that Daddy's truck was not there so as soon as he stopped I ran out of the car, got into my old room, locked the door to it then hid in my closet and called my brother. He was not working today (he's a Deputy Sheriff in our parish) but he said he would be over in 5 minutes and was calling his friend who was working. I could hear my EX get in his car and do burnouts in the driveway before he sped away. My brother got there and passed my ex on the way in. The other deputy apparently saw him on the road and pulled him over and arrested him for aggravated speeding and reckless driving. He didn't damage anything in the house and never touched me so they said there was really no domestic assault charges they could get him with but I would have supported it had they done so.

I figured I would be getting texts or calls from him for bail but so far he hasn't contacted me at. My brother drove me to his place and helped me get all my stuff. I left the ring and the keys there. We live in a tiny town and we will see each other but I do not want anything to do with him as long as I can help it.

Obviously him doing hateful things and trying to hurt people should have been a huge red-flag to me. I feel like I should be sadder than I am and maybe I will be, but right now I just feel so happy to be sleeping at my dads in my nice comfy old bed.

tl;dr: EX-fiance freaked out after I asked him if he might be gay. It's over and I feel pretty good about myself.

Yeah, he is in Narnia. And he is an insane dangerous rear end in a top hat.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lmao she was just cool with the gaybashing hobby

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

"My boyfriend goes out and viciously harasses and attacks gay people. This is fine, of course, but do you think maybe it means *he's* gay????"

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Any guy that is terrified of a vagina or to look at it clearly isn't straight.

It is sad how many gay bashing gay people there are though. Not that it excuses his behavior, but he's got some serious self-loathing going on.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Rubellavator posted:

Lmao she was just cool with the gaybashing hobby

Louisiana, baby.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Best case scenario is he takes this as a come-to-Jesus moment and we get a followup post about how [21F]'s former fiance is so much happier after coming to accept himself and his sexuality and moving to a less lovely place than the American South.

In reality of course this will never happen and he's mostly mad he has to start all over with an even younger and dumber girl who will never dare to question his many glaring contradictions.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress Your Website posted:

Best case scenario is he takes this as a come-to-Jesus moment and we get a followup post about how [21F]'s former fiance is so much happier after coming to accept himself and his sexuality and moving to a less lovely place than the American South.

In reality of course he's mostly mad he has to start all over with an even younger and dumber girl who will never dare to question his many glaring contradictions.

Naw, he's gonna get madder and gayer than ever. He will likely end up getting a guy to blow him and then punch him in the face instead of saying thank you.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Reminds me of that dude that asked Dirk Diggler to jerk off and then beat him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Incredibly Gay Hulk