Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

My post history itt is like what Shepard must have felt trying to warn the Council about the Reapers for two years.

i get to be garrus then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Between No Man's Sky and Andromeda it's interesting how all these games about exploring new things no one's seen before are secretly about rediscovering everything everyone else has seen and been around for centuries. It's even a plot point in NMS how the entire galaxy is post-apocalypse; the robots on each planet that keep annoying you destroyed all of civilization everywhere. You're not discovering new planets - you're finding the old ones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Andromeda would have been a lot more interesting if the fleet had somehow whoopsied into the dark space where the reapers usually lurked between cycles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Iron Crowned posted:

If I could forget 90% of Andromeda I'd like it as much as you do too!

It was kinda funny reading my old posts and seeing myself go from "The UI designer needs to be fed into a woodchipper but otherwise this is pretty fun!" to "This is a deeply flawed game but on the whole, solidly above average" to "I played a second time, and... none of my choices ended up mattering beyond the odd line of dialogue," to "What a dumpster fire."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Andromeda would have been a lot more interesting if the fleet had somehow whoopsied into the dark space where the reapers usually lurked between cycles.

When they say "dark space", all they mean is the empty space between galaxies where there are no stars.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

i get to be garrus then

We wanted sick-nasty but instead got sick, nasty.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When they say "dark space", all they mean is the empty space between galaxies where there are no stars.

Yeah, I know. There’s dark space between the Milky Way and Andromeda, they haven’t collided yet.

The reapers could have had SOMETHING there. Maybe it’s dark because the stars were Dyson Sphere’d or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Garth Merenghi's Dark Space

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'd bet money the andromeda writers didnt understand what the original triology meant by dark space; and assumed it was some mystical OTHER dimension where the Reapers lived

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Garth Merenghi's Dark Space

Shepard does love to give out knuckle suppers

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Or had more than one new kind of alien

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thinking of ways Andromeda could have been better is one conversation where everybody gets to be right.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I think the worst part of all of this is image what the game could have been if upper management didn't try to create No Man's Sky for 4 years and then poo poo out ME:A at the last second once they realized it was never going to happen. Like instead Bioware/EA just made ME:A for 3 to 4 years and cashed in on a rock solid franchise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

Thinking of ways Andromeda could have been better is one conversation where everybody gets to be right.

I mean, yeah, they could have stuffed the case with rat turds and it would be better than what we got

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, I know. There’s dark space between the Milky Way and Andromeda, they haven’t collided yet.

The reapers could have had SOMETHING there. Maybe it’s dark because the stars were Dyson Sphere’d or something.

There are no stars between galaxies. There is literally nothing between them. The Reapers just sit and wait out there while treating the Milky Way galaxy like a petrie dish, growing cultures for 50,000 years before sterilizing and starting over.

corn in the bible posted:

Oh wow, a new race and we can't understand what they're saying! And it's a real first-contact situation to boot! I guess we're going to have to try to find some way to communicate with their leaders to establish relatio-oh suddenly the translators work the moment we're in the room with their leaders.

And they've been interacting with the Exiles for over a year now.

How thrilling :nallears:.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's sad because BioWare has done the first contact communications barrier thing better already with HK-47 and the Sandpeople

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How thrilling :nallears:.

2.5 million light years travel

*Reused asset human prefab tavern*
“well met, traveler!”

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Wasn't there even some talk that it might be an interesting take on Columbus, invading the New World and taking it from the ~primitive locals~ (weren't the aliens in MEA literally red-skinned? :ohdear:), but then they kind of just let that wither on the vine and never did anything with that concept?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cat people have all the same face

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are no stars between galaxies. There is literally nothing between them.

That's overstating things a bit. There's plenty of stuff between galaxies. It's just on average the average density of intergalactic space is extremely diffuse, much more so than the average density of space inside a galaxy.

Basically, you'd expect to find an atom every cubic meter or so, on average. But there's of course random gas clouds, planetoids, even a bunch of rogue stars ejected from their galaxies through gravitational interactions. In the gigantic vastness of millions upon millions of light years, though, it's pretty drat empty.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Wasn't there even some talk that it might be an interesting take on Columbus, invading the New World and taking it from the ~primitive locals~ (weren't the aliens in MEA literally red-skinned? :ohdear:), but then they kind of just let that wither on the vine and never did anything with that concept?

It’s probably for the best that this writing team didn’t try to tackle that

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ashpanash posted:

That's overstating things a bit. There's plenty of stuff between galaxies. It's just on average the average density of intergalactic space is extremely diffuse, much more so than the average density of space inside a galaxy.

Basically, you'd expect to find an atom every cubic meter or so, on average. But there's of course random gas clouds, planetoids, even a bunch of rogue stars ejected from their galaxies through gravitational interactions. In the gigantic vastness of millions upon millions of light years, though, it's pretty drat empty.

There's also all of the crap we cannot see yet because our detection equipment isn't sophisticated enough. Still ~95% of the universe unaccounted for. :science:

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s probably for the best that this writing team didn’t try to tackle that

Yeah, definitely not the same team that thought ~my face~ was a good line. :nallears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh that premise is very much alive, but it's just the subtle undertone of the story's stupidity. "We have flown here direct from the Milky Way and OH NO, HOW COULD WE EVER HAVE KNOWN THIS SCOURGE WOULD BE HERE FROM OUR SIX-HUNDRED-YEAR OLD DATA?!!

Oh no, our Arks all got separated because they flew to separate destinations in a whole new galaxy we know nothing about and now we don't know where they are. HOW COULD WE HAVE PREDICTED THIS??

We didn't know what to do because the Arks all split up and none of them came to the Nexus, so we settled on a heavily-irradiated desert work but the colony failed so we're trying again on the same heavily-irradiated desert world but a few kilometers down the road from the last place. HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN IT WOULD GO SO BADLY??

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DoctorGonzo posted:

The cat people have all the same face

Everyone had the same face

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Everyone had the same face

It's very tired.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are no stars between galaxies. There is literally nothing between them. The Reapers just sit and wait out there while treating the Milky Way galaxy like a petrie dish, growing cultures for 50,000 years before sterilizing and starting over.

Rogue stars are a (rare) thing, and you can always say no one saw it because a Dyson sphere was capturing all the emissions. Hell, have it set in a weird, isolated star system like Banks’ Against a Dark Background.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are no stars between galaxies. There is literally nothing between them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergalactic_star?wprov=sfti1

HST actually found a ton of them.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Yeah but I am guessing EA would 100% not be ok with something so ~~controversial~~ as a game explicitly tackling the themes and horrors of colonialism.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

... have you been checked for color blindness?

(They were purple)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's sad because BioWare has done the first contact communications barrier thing better already with HK-47 and the Sandpeople

I always just ended up butchering the sand people, they were animals, and i hate them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I always just ended up butchering the sand people, they were animals, and i hate them.

I have HK tell me the story of their people and then tell him to translate me "apologizing" for murdering their warriors and stealing their clothes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huh, there you go :eyepop:.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ashpanash posted:

I agree. If 'extended cut' had been the actual ending that the game delivered then a lot of the furor would never have happen. Most people would just have shrugged, said 'eh.' and moved on. There would be a few people who absolutely hate it and who absolutely love it constantly fighting about it, but for the most part, it's just mediocre enough to not be complete dogshit.

That's the really sad thing, that's all they had to do. They would have suffered none of their issues with the community and would never have been saddled with the 'artistic integrity' nonsense if they just bothered to make their ending incredibly mediocre and underwhelming instead of an insult.

Well, they did fix it and people would still rather be mad about what it was instead of what it is now, even years later I guess.

Rosalind posted:

A really cool alternative to Kai Leng is if they had brought back whomever you didn't save on Virmire as the antagonist, resurrected via the efforts of the indoctrinated Illusive Man with the help of some Reaper tech.

Definitely. Way cooler. Would have to be super indoctrinated though.

corn in the bible posted:

Well, it had two.

Technically. :eng101:

Ainsley McTree posted:

I forget what Ashley's reaction was, probably something racist

Ashley's not a racist, thanks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You’re welcome

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, they did fix it and people would still rather be mad about what it was instead of what it is now, even years later I guess.

Uh, they didn't fix it, they just made it slightly less terrible. They don't get to divorce themselves from the consequences of making something truly lovely and then defending it so strongly under a torrent of completely valid criticism, which they blew off as 'entitlement' infringing on their 'artistic integrity'.

Months later, they released a shittier ending that would have been fine had it been there in the first place and the above poo poo didn't happen. But No, they don't get to pass off more shoddy, still lazy poo poo and pretend as if they weren't sequestered in a room for months admiring the smell of their own farts.

Yeah, I remember the way they behaved and it was infuriating. I'm not giving them credit for apologizing for an open-face poo poo sandwich by giving me a piece of stale, moldy bread to put on top.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ashley's not a racist, thanks.

:nallears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9vBZm0iUw&t=73s

Not a SpaceRacist posted:

Look, if you're fighting a bear and the only way for you to survive is to sick your dog on it and run: you'll do it. As much as you love your dog, it isn't human. It's not racism, not really...members of their species will always be more important to them than humans are."

She's literally a racist in her own words and tries to justify that by saying that everyone else in the universe are the ~real~ racists (against humans)... :rolleyes:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

She’s a space realist

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

:nallears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9vBZm0iUw&t=73s

She's literally a racist in her own words and tries to justify that by saying that everyone else in the universe are the ~real~ racists (against humans)... :rolleyes:

That's just plot_of_ME3.txt, though.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Ashley doesn't hate alien species she just thinks they will gently caress over humanity to save themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Some, i assume, are very good aliens