Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Byzantine posted:

Define "sci-fi" first.

theres robots, aliens and flying cars in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Is there some weird goon consensus that Arrival isn't sci-fi, or is bad?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Byzantine posted:

Define "sci-fi" first.

movies for NEEEEERDS

*punches locker*

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Children of Men a science-fiction movie?

It is, and I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet in the ongoing discussion.

Other surprising omissions from the last 25 years: A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Edge of Tomorrow, The Iron Giant, Gattaca, and an obscure little flick called Minority Report.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cause I'd call Apollo 18 sci-fi and put it on the list.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
*cough* Dredd *cough*

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

There is a goon non-consensus that Arrival is just okay, if very well shot.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Children of Men

Add this one to my list.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Arrival: a very pretty movie but essentially a Shaggy Dog Story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also enjoyed WALL-E. How about Terminator 2 and Total Recall? They're within the past 30 years. I haven't seen Alien Covenant, though, so I don't know if they're better than it, but I liked them as well.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 21, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

its ABOUT FEELINGS UGH

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
tfw so galaxy brain you realize Arrival, Ex Machina and Annihilation are bougie pretenders and true depth lies in the thought-provoking trilogy of Battle L.A., Elysium and Terminator Genisys

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also one of the best sci-fi films from the last 30 years that nobody ever remembers is Gattaca.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Starship Troopers is also amusing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
what about Star Wars: Episode 2: Attack of the Clones

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Harime Nui posted:

tfw so galaxy brain you realize Arrival, Ex Machina and Annihilation are bougie pretenders and true depth lies in the thought-provoking trilogy of Battle L.A., Elysium and Terminator Genisys

Yep.

Annihilation, Ex Machina, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2 are movies considered 'deep' because people like the basic aesthetic and have no clue what's going on.

Blade Runner 2 is an abortive attempt at rebooting the Blade Runner IP as a superhero franchise, and it's really, really stupid.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Renoistic posted:

Solid list but what the heck is I, Robot doing there.

Basebf555 posted:

So you have eight, and one of them is I, Robot. Ok.

Please don't joke about I, Robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3zBOEJ-ndg

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What about Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider: Drive & Gaim: Movie War Full Throttle? I think it was pretty darn good, lots of speculative fiction involving technology and space in there.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are also sci-fi movies but they don't have robots, aliens, or explosions so let's just keep making dumb lists instead of talking about dumb movie decisions.

Like this!

https://twitter.com/007/status/1031951674544476160

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Harime Nui posted:

Also one of the best sci-fi films from the last 30 years that nobody ever remembers is Gattaca.

I think of Gattaca a lot, we had HBO the summer it was shown so I've seen it like 25 times. I used to have it on DVD, I should get the bluray and add it to my collection at some point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Battle LA is poo poo, Elysium is alright, and Genisys is pretty good. I haven't watched the other three yet.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I think of Gattaca a lot, we had HBO the summer it was shown so I've seen it like 25 times. I used to have it on DVD, I should get the bluray and add it to my collection at some point.

For whatever weird reason I was obsessed with the movie at the age of 11-12 and watched it on VHS a gazillion times.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yep.

Annihilation, Ex Machina, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2 are movies considered 'deep' because people like the basic aesthetic and have no clue what's going on.

Blade Runner 2 is an abortive attempt at rebooting the Blade Runner IP as a superhero franchise, and it's really, really stupid.

lol nice try

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Battle LA is poo poo, Elysium is alright, and Genisys is pretty good. I haven't watched the other three yet.

Genisys is one of the worst movies ever made. That casting director should never work again.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alan Smithee posted:

lol nice try

I've yet to encounter anyone who ranks these movie among the best of all time who can actually explain what's going on.

With Blade Runner 2 it's like "it's about what it means to be human" and/or they just quote the exposition like "dying for the right cause is the most human thing we can do." Like "oh, I see! Dying for a cause makes you human!" And I'm like what are you even talking about? Crickets.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm sure Ron Howard is ready to step in.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

sponges posted:

Genisys is one of the worst movies ever made. That casting director should never work again.

No way, Jose. Jai Courtney for President.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Liiiiiiiiiiissssssstssssssssss....!!!!!! I’m going to stretch “sci fi” a bit. 2018-25 = 1993. So T2 is out and I’m only doing American bullshit

1. Blade
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. Prometheus
4. The Fountain/Noah
5. The Matrix
6. Blade Runner 2049
7. Godzilla 2014
8. Man of Steel
9. Ang Lee Hulk
10.5: Gattica
10.8: Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind
10. Starship Troopers
11. Fifth Element
12. Demolition Man
13. Dredd
14. Arrival
15. Moon
16. Ex Machina
17. Children of Men
18. Event Horizon
19. Mad Max
20. Interstellar
21. Sunshine, Prestige, Equilibrium, Edge of Tomorrow, Primer, Looper, Under the Skin, Chronicle, Planet of Apes, WLlE Attack the Block, Riddick, Blade II, Tron, Real Steel

Somewhere is 12 Monkeys. There’s a ton of good Sci Fi last 25 years

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

No way, Jose. Jai Courtney for President.

Jai Courtney is awful when trying an American accent. He was OK in Suicide Squad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gatts posted:

Liiiiiiiiiiissssssstssssssssss....!!!!!! I’m going to stretch “sci fi” a bit. 2018-25 = 1993. So T2 is out and I’m only doing American bullshit

1. Blade
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. Prometheus
4. The Fountain/Noah
5. The Matrix
6. Blade Runner 2049
7. Godzilla 2014
8. Man of Steel
9. Ang Lee Hulk
10.5: Gattica
10.8: Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind
10. Starship Troopers
11. Fifth Element
12. Demolition Man
13. Dredd
14. Arrival
15. Moon
16. Ex Machina
17. Children of Men
18. Event Horizon
19. Mad Max
20. Interstellar
21. Sunshine, Prestige, Equilibrium, Edge of Tomorrow, Primer, Looper, Under the Skin, Chronicle, Planet of Apes, WLlE Attack the Block, Riddick, Blade II, Tron, Real Steel

Somewhere is 12 Monkeys. There’s a ton of good Sci Fi last 25 years

but where is the movie about the the dumb scientist teenagers being killed by the Jason/monster

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are also sci-fi movies but they don't have robots, aliens, or explosions so let's just keep making dumb lists instead of talking about dumb movie decisions.

At least we can all agree my big dumb lists were the best

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

GrandpaPants posted:

Like this!

https://twitter.com/007/status/1031951674544476160

Time for Matthew Vaughn to save this franchise

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t know what’s going on in Blade Runner 2 but it’s got such solid direction it’s an all timer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shageletic posted:

but where is the movie about the the dumb scientist teenagers being killed by the Jason/monster

Jason X is actually better than Prometheus and Covenant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sponges posted:

Jai Courtney maybe but I remain convinced Emilia Clarke was a great choice for Sarah Connor with the idea being that she didn't need to harden up because she had an invincible bodyguard to lean on her whole life and Jason Clarke did fine as John Connor.

Matt Smith was okay for the one second he was on and probably doesn't mind the few million bucks that one second got him :v:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Posting My Favorites:

District 9/Elysium/Chappie
15/05/11 - Abandoned Grain Elevator
Battle: Los Angeles
Chernobyl Diaries
Universal Soldier: Regeneration
The Den
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
The Machine
Virtuosity
Alien Versus | Predator: Requiem
Monsters: Dark Continent
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 1
The Cannibal In The Jungle
Crawl Or Die
The Great Martian War 1913-1917
Europa Report
Prometheus/Alien Covenant
Jurassic Park
Marjorie Prime
Mermaids: The Body Found
War Of The Worlds
The Thing
Robocop
Hardcore Henry
Last Days On Mars
Ghost In The Shell (2017 not 1995)
Gamer
Code 46
Apollo 18
Terminator Salvation
Isle Of Dogs
Shark Of Darkness: Wrath Of Submarine
Hickory Never Bleeds
The Modular Body
Beyond The Black Rainbow

and

The Day Britain Stopped

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 21, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Basebf555 posted:

Regardless, you aren't going to come up with a top-10 list where those last few entries aren't very debatable.

It's easy, watch:

Galaxy Quest
Looper
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Iron Giant
Moon
Primer
The Matrix
Children of Men
Contact
12 Monkeys
Arrival

There's nothing on there that's debatable. You could quibble about Galaxy Quest, but you'd be wrong, but I threw in 11 entries just in case. And there are plenty more than come to mind before we get down to the level of I, Robot: District 9, Ex Machina, Her, Inception, Sunshine, WALL-E, The Martian, Donnie Darko, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report, Blade Runner 2, Upstream Color, Predestination, Timecrimes, Coherence, and those are all just since 2000.

quote:

Like, you're gonna say that I, Robot is one of the top-10 sci-fi films of the past 25 years, but then call me insane for saying the same of Covenant?

Yes. I, Robot is infinitely better than Covenant. Covenant is poo poo.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Alien: Covenant: a really good film

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Convince me

Is it more like alien isolation or alien 3:the gun

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Aaah! Moviefight!

Was there supposed to be a screenshot from Covenant here? I got distracted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phanatic posted:

There's nothing on there that's debatable. You could quibble about Galaxy Quest, but you'd be wrong, but I threw in 11 entries just in case. And there are plenty more than come to mind before we get down to the level of I, Robot: District 9, Ex Machina, Her, Inception, Sunshine, WALL-E, The Martian, Donnie Darko, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report, Blade Runner 2, Upstream Color, Predestination, Timecrimes, Coherence, and those are all just since 2000.

See now this is what I'm talking about; I defy you to explain what happens in Coherence, let alone what the point of it is - and that calls the entire rest of the list into question.