Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have an idea what it means but I still want to see him post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I doubt it, but it should have been. I mean cmon just look at them.

or 2?

Part of the director's job is making the right casting decision to stop something like this from happening. And now he has to do all this hemming and hawing over Twitter to (rightly) defend her when it could have all been nipped in the bud.

Only dimes should get parts so that Twitter doesn't harass them?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I doubt it, but it should have been. I mean cmon just look at them.

or 2?

Part of the director's job is making the right casting decision to stop something like this from happening. And now he has to do all this hemming and hawing over Twitter to (rightly) defend her when it could have all been nipped in the bud.

I mean, this is sorta why I have a sorta irrational dislike for people who don't like TLJ. These kinds of thoughts always pop up from them and it's just...yo dawg...what the gently caress.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

"Make the right casting decision to stop something like this from happening"??

What the everloving gently caress is that supposed to mean?

I imagine the implication is that the actor who played her sister is more attractive than she is and angry nerds on the Internet would be too busy masturbating over her picture to attack her on the social media. I don't get the impression that Jedi Knight Luigi is actually endorsing this point of view - my impression is that he's just taking a cynical view about it - but obviously I don't know that.

For comparison, when the prospect of a woman playing the Doctor in Doctor Who was being talked up before Jodie Whittaker was cast, the cynical view was that they'd have to cast a conventionally hot-looking actor to sort of ease the grousing fans in or something.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 21, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Every role could have been played by Keira Knightley at Full Pout and TLJ still would have sucked so it's a moot point.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Both of those actresses are very attractive and Rose's character was fine and TLJ was a terrible movie.

e: I mean "fine" in the sense that she was very far from being the worst part about the movie.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine the implication is that the actor who played her sister is more attractive than she is and angry nerds on the Internet would be too busy masturbating over her picture to attack her on the social media. I don't get the impression that Jedi Knight Luigi is actually endorsing this point of view - my impression is that he's just taking a cynical view about it - but obviously I don't know that.

For comparison, when the prospect of a woman playing the Doctor in Doctor Who was being talked up before Jodie Whittaker was cast, the cynical view was that they'd have to cast a conventionally hot-looking actor to sort of ease the grousing fans in or something.

Yeah it's the bird's eye cynical view take. I personally don't care either way how attractive KMT is on a quasi-objective scale.

Papercut posted:

Both of those actresses are very attractive and Rose's character was fine and TLJ was a terrible movie.

Basically this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harime Nui posted:

Every role could have been played by Keira Knightley at Full Pout and TLJ still would have sucked so it's a moot point.

We wouldn't have had Swolo then

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
A beautiful torso trapped in a bad movie

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think we can really see the true failure of Disney's tenure with its inability to generate successful memes. There's Swolo and that's it. The Prequels to this day are meme gold-mines. even the original trilogy which came out pre-internet is popular meme wise.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Right? And everybody makes fun of David Goyer but who's getting quoted 20 years later.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Meme generation is an odd metric of quality. My favourite movie is The Long Good Friday and it doesn't have any memes that I'm aware of, which I suppose indicates that it's actually a cinematic failure. :D

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Long Good Friday had its chance!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bet if Lucas and Spielberg had collaborated on Star Wars movies in the early 90s, Bob Hoskins would have been the main actor.

But seriously, I'm so accustomed to people complaining about memes and how they're trite and annoying that it's a bit of a novelty to see "no memes" cited as some example of towering failure. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 22, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sure, Kurosawa made some good films, but how many memes came out of them?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Ingmar Bergman wanted to be taken seriously as a real filmmaker he should have drastically upped his meme game.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I've altered the metric of quality. Pray I do not alter it any further.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

If Ingmar Bergman wanted to be taken seriously as a real filmmaker he should have drastically upped his meme game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I've never noticed how the guy on the end is playing the saxophone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

galagazombie posted:

I think we can really see the true failure of Disney's tenure with its inability to generate successful memes. There's Swolo and that's it. The Prequels to this day are meme gold-mines. even the original trilogy which came out pre-internet is popular meme wise.

We also got salt and that line about being wrong

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Meme generation is an odd metric of quality. My favourite movie is The Long Good Friday and it doesn't have any memes that I'm aware of, which I suppose indicates that it's actually a cinematic failure. :D

It's a distorted, but direct, proxy for memorability.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ingmar Bergman films have inspired many parodies over the decades. They're not as digestible as a shitpost, but they keep popping up. There was even one in another recent sequel to a Disney-purchased film franchise (Muppets Most Wanted).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
I just googled "tlj memes," and I think you may be mistaken.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a distorted, but direct, proxy for memorability.

Ingmar Bergman films have inspired many parodies over the decades. They're not as digestible as a shitpost, but they keep popping up. There was even one in another recent sequel to a Disney-purchased film franchise (Muppets Most Wanted).

True enough, though on further reflection, I imagine that "memes" in this context has less to do with (going with the Merriam-Webster definitions) "an idea, behaviour, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture" and more with "an amusing or interesting item (such as a captioned picture or video) or genre of items that is spread widely online especially through social media". I don't know, maybe I'm just splitting hairs.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'd say you're just trying to iceskate uphill.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

I'd say you're just trying to iceskate uphill.

You calling me a motherfucker?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Only a Master of Evil [, Darth].

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 22, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mel Brooks with the deep cut reference.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

RBA Starblade posted:

We also got salt and that line about being wrong

those were super forced, though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, so long as someone enjoys them, I suppose that's what counts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

That's never stopped memes before

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fun fact: the vast majority of movie lines are forced via the script. And even some ad libs get rerecorded for a better take

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
yes jivjov, your intellect is astounding

those two remarkably dumb lines were obviously written into the script to be quoted and/or used in defensive of noted bad film TLJ. compare to, say, any of the prequel memes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

fun fact: the vast majority of movie lines are forced via the script. And even some ad libs get rerecorded for a better take

Are you telling me Luke Skywalker isn't speaking off the cuff?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

yes jivjov, your intellect is astounding

those two remarkably dumb lines were obviously written into the script to be quoted and/or used in defensive of noted bad film TLJ. compare to, say, any of the prequel memes.

[citation needed]

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

PostNouveau posted:

Sure, Kurosawa made some good films, but how many memes came out of them?

You could 100% make some great memes out of the facial close-ups in Ikiru

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, this is sorta why I have a sorta irrational dislike for people who don't like TLJ. These kinds of thoughts always pop up from them and it's just...yo dawg...what the gently caress.

The irony is that this broken logic of yours is just as idiotic as what the guy posted. Legit complains about TLJ were discussed in this thread many times yet you choose to identify "people who don't like TLJ" with some dumbass who thinks only conventionally attractive women should be cast in movies. Yo dawg...what the gently caress?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey I said it was irrational.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Galaxy brain: the story group is ultimately responsible for the terrible lines; they had a responsibility to assert that nominally sane characters saying such insipid things wouldn’t be canon

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

No Mods No Masters posted:

Galaxy brain: the story group is ultimately responsible for the terrible lines; they had a responsibility to assert that nominally sane characters saying such insipid things wouldn’t be canon

how dare you impugn the infallibility of Pope Hidalgus and the Canon Fathers

those 'terrible lines' are received knowledge, direct from G-l-xy F-r F-r Aw-y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As Bongo Bill said internet memes may not be the most exact measurement of artistic merit, but they provide a good insight into how much something has penetrated the pop-culture consensus. For a franchise as inextricably tied to pop-culture as Star Wars to have its latest film be almost forgotten (The actual movie, not the controversy) should be extremely troubling to the PR department.