Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've already said it before, but I want Phantasy Star V for the Switch Sega!

Sega will have a new console before another Phantasy Star game comes to North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

irlZaphod posted:

The guy in the village says there are 15 more trees which need to bloom, but I have no idea where they are.

They're the smaller tress that are lining the path up to the main tree, and there are a few scattered along the path in the village.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

irlZaphod posted:

Ok so I'm kinda stuck in Okami, I have no idea where I'm supposed to go.

I went to all the spots in Shinshu Field, got the cherry bombs/went to the Moon Cave/went to the Dojo/found the way to the Forest. I went back to Sakuya's tree, but Sakuya isn't answering. I spoke with Mr. Orange, and he won't do the dance until all the trees are restored. The guy in the village says there are 15 more trees which need to bloom, but I have no idea where they are. There's nothing else to do in Hana Valley as far as I can see, I can't go to the Forest because the ferry isn't running (I'm assuming that's gated until after I do this?), are the 15 other trees in Shinshu Field? Do I need to finish killing the mischief makers?

There are wilted trees in Kamiki Village. Find them all and rejuvenate them.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo is not going to give us an Animal Crossing for Switch, and this will likely not come out in English. What a cruel hell we live in (unless you know Japanese then you're good).

Christy Teigen already found AC mobile wanting, and she got in the gamer spotlight because of playing the switch courtside during NBA games. It's coming.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They're the smaller tress that are lining the path up to the main tree, and there are a few scattered along the path in the village.

Waffleman_ posted:

There are wilted trees in Kamiki Village. Find them all and rejuvenate them.

Ahhhh I was kind of looking for bigger trees. I guess the other wilted ones started small too. Thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've never played Okami, just Okamiden. Maybe I should pick it up.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Generic Monk posted:

pretty much every current gen console game runs with vsync enabled since the current (and correct) consensus is that consistency of input response is better than chasing meaningless numbers

VSync is on by default to prevent tearing, not to keep input response consistent. While input latency is tied to fps, simply capping the fps at 60 gets the same result without the input lag vsync introduces.
I'm not going to argue it isn't the right choice to use vsync because I'm sure the vast majority of people will take a bit of extra input delay over tearing frames but I'm someone who's personal preference is to have it off.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mister Facetious posted:

Sega will have a new console before another Phantasy Star game comes to North America.

So you're saying there's a chance?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Manky posted:

It's a little atom palmtop. Like a nintendo DS, but one screen, keyboard+controller, and runs windows 10.

And costs $800.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Lol yeah

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

punk rebel ecks posted:

So you're saying there's a chance?

Well, I did own PS Zero back in the day. ;)
If it were any Sega management than this one... :smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After trying another Bad North campaign it's getting a bit more interesting. It has the XCOM punishment mechanic of when you lose one unit it will probably spiral into you losing everything and even if you survive you're not going to climb out of the hole with one survivor unit most likely. But once I got into my head that even though the units move on tiles, it's more free-flowing like an RTS, there are some interesting chokepoint mechanics, choosing when to fall back, whether to risk reinforcing units and not having them ready for the next skirmish, etc.

Not ready to declare it 15 dollars well-spent but I will say it seems more interesting than Tiny Metal

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just unlocked the bomb in Okami on the PS4 but I want it on the Switch. Ugh what's wrong with me

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Drawing on the screen is pretty dope.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
God, Daemon X Machina looks good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

I've never played Okami, just Okamiden. Maybe I should pick it up.

Okamiden to this day still annoys the hell out of me. It basically adds nothing of it's own to the story and actively hurts it by retconning a few things. To the point that it's clear that whoever wrote the script didn't pay a iota of attention to all the end game stuff of 1.

It felt like a game made only so capcom could sell merch of Chibi.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

enojy posted:

Don't open the Dark Souls can of worms please!!!! This thread bloated enough, let's talk more about how good/bad BoTW is

DS1 is really just NES Zelda with a new coat of paint

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Okamiden to this day still annoys the hell out of me. It basically adds nothing of it's own to the story and actively hurts it by retconning a few things. To the point that it's clear that whoever wrote the script didn't pay a iota of attention to all the end game stuff of 1.

It felt like a game made only so capcom could sell merch of Chibi.

That puppy cute tho

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is it okay to pretty much never turn off the Switch and just put it in sleep mode when I put it back in the dock. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past week and a half since I got it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is it okay to pretty much never turn off the Switch and just put it in sleep mode when I put it back in the dock. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past week and a half since I got it.
I only actually turn it off if I'm running into some sort of hardware problem (internet connection / controller pairing). Basically just treat it like a phone and you should be fine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah sometimes when I put it back in the dock and take it out after a few hours one of the joycons de-pairs and I have to take them out for them to re-sync, but that's the only issue I've had with leaving it on all the time

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've cycled the power on my switch probably less than a half dozen times since launch, you should be good. (I'm not counting updates in that)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m excited to finally play this, although I think I’d rather just play GTA 4 again. Bring that to Switch please

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

I’m excited to finally play this, although I think I’d rather just play GTA 4 again. Bring that to Switch please

You will feel ridiculously differently once you play it since it may not be a great game, but unlike GTAIV its a good game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

King of Solomon posted:

God, Daemon X Machina looks good.

I can't wait, I love me a good robot game

Speaking of which, Damascus Gear Operation Tokyo is a pretty mediocre robot game. If you're as thirsty for robots as I am you can squeeze some enjoyment out of it but it's just not all that good. Apparently the sequel os better but I don't think it's on Switch

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Depending on the game you play, botw, fortnite, etc, you might have longer load times and out right gently caress ups. The switch is prone to memory leaks.

In botw, this becomes the blood moon glitch, where you get repeated blood moons in a short period of time. Fortnite has been actively getting worse as the battle pass continues to bolt on new mechanics, great mechanics though, like time trials. But it leads to longer load times and towns not leaving their LoD model state which doesn't allow interaction.

Tldr, hard reset your switch at least once a week.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Being able to put any game to sleep at any time is probably the greatest invention ever made. I loved it on my ds and 3ds, and I loving love it on the switch. Only problem is you cant change games without shutting one down. So for example when it took me like 6 play sessions to get through the path of pain, my switch was committed to hollow knight those several days.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Depending on the game you play, botw, fortnite, etc, you might have longer load times and out right gently caress ups. The switch is prone to memory leaks.

In botw, this becomes the blood moon glitch, where you get repeated blood moons in a short period of time. Fortnite has been actively getting worse as the battle pass continues to bolt on new mechanics, great mechanics though, like time trials. But it leads to longer load times and towns not leaving their LoD model state which doesn't allow interaction.

It's not the console causing this, but the game itself. You don't have to restart the Switch; you just have to exit the game periodically.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

You can just close the games, it's fine

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Barudak posted:

You will feel ridiculously differently once you play it since it may not be a great game, but unlike GTAIV its a good game.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh the humor was a giant steamer squeezed right on top of a Whopper, no cheese, extra mayo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mysterious frankie posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh the humor was a giant steamer squeezed right on top of a Whopper, no cheese, extra mayo.

Yeah because the jokes in GTA are so subtle and funny and never obnoxious

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detailed impressions of Labo Vehicle and video of the kids with some more details, as Andre Segers interviews some super Saiyan child (who is a pretty awesome kid, I hope that's similar to my son in a couple years)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah because the jokes in GTA are so subtle and funny and never obnoxious

Way less than Saints Row III imo.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

Way less than Saints Row III imo.

Eh SR3 is the better game kinda because it does lean into the joke. Both games pull a lot of the same bullshit gameplay-wise but SR3 tries to have fun with it with it's better gameplay diversity and sticks mostly to escalating comedic sociopathy while GTA4 struggles to set a tone for longer then a phone call and gets very routine very fast.

That said, if you can't stand the humor it's not gonna work because, yeah, SR3 is pretty much entirely about varying shades of dark and goofy humor, Angry Shaundi being like the weird exception.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

VSync is on by default to prevent tearing, not to keep input response consistent. While input latency is tied to fps, simply capping the fps at 60 gets the same result without the input lag vsync introduces.
I'm not going to argue it isn't the right choice to use vsync because I'm sure the vast majority of people will take a bit of extra input delay over tearing frames but I'm someone who's personal preference is to have it off.

you're crazy, screen tearing is the worst and second only to stuttering when it comes to making a game really unpleasant to play

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of a weird thing is, Steelport in SR3 does have a lot of detail and places you can explore, there's just no point to it. It's short on even the easter eggs compared to GTA. Everything around personal customisation and cool toys is great, but it's ultimately pretty style-over-substance.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mr. Locke posted:

Eh SR3 is the better game kinda because it does lean into the joke. Both games pull a lot of the same bullshit gameplay-wise but SR3 tries to have fun with it with it's better gameplay diversity and sticks mostly to escalating comedic sociopathy while GTA4 struggles to set a tone for longer then a phone call and gets very routine very fast.

That said, if you can't stand the humor it's not gonna work because, yeah, SR3 is pretty much entirely about varying shades of dark and goofy humor, Angry Shaundi being like the weird exception.

Even then, you get a good reason why Angry Shaundi is angry and it's because she quit drugs cold turkey

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

It's not the console causing this, but the game itself. You don't have to restart the Switch; you just have to exit the game periodically.

Manky posted:

You can just close the games, it's fine

Closing did not work in my case. Had to shut down and restart.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t see why people are mad about DS Trilogy. It’s not like they remade 2 and 3, they’re just releasing a package set of them with Remastered 1.

Besides, Dark Souls 1 is the only good one.:smug:

Releasing a trilogy on the same day as the Remaster on the Switch is more stupidity on their part. They're killing a lot of potential sales for the Switch game because most people will generally think "Why pay nearly the same price for just one when I can get all 3 with the DLC?" It'd actually be smarter to release them staggered, but now it can be used as an excuse to not bother with porting the other 2 Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Except it won't because you see, people really like buying games for the switch regardless

Look at how the switch tax has done absolutely nothing to impede sales, this thing is moving games

• Locked thread