Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

mllaneza posted:

A ticket came in....

Security bought a laptop off of Craigslist and wanted to if it was one of ours. It was, retired just a couple of weeks ago.

We have a strict process for retiring machines, from verifying that the data was wiped to it going on a truck for recycling or donating. Some serious questions are going to be asked.

might security been looking on craigslist for a stolen laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Client calls outside of contract hours: "Server X hasn't been patched since 2017 and is 200 updates behind, this is a major security flaw, you guys need to fix this ASAP and I am NOT paying afterhours rates for it! :rant:"

Ticket search reveals previous email from client, dated November 2017: "Please disable automatic patching and monitoring on server X, it is being decommissioned."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

angry armadillo posted:

might security been looking on craigslist for a stolen laptop?

I'm assuming they are being proactive.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mllaneza posted:

I think it is more of someone didn't get their cut and contacted your security team about it as payback.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in. Install vendor update into critical customer facing app.

Two weeks ago tested a vendor update in dev works.

Tested in preprod Friday, works.

Came in this morning at 8 am to push the update to prod.

I'm in the office, server admin in office, DBA no show. We waited two hours before calling it.

Thanks is DBA... I really wanted to wake up at 530am on a Sunday for no reason...

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Seems far too coincidental to me

Zil posted:

I think it is more of someone didn't get their cut and contacted your security team about it as payback.

Much more likely :lol:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Knormal posted:

Yeah but that's true of pretty much everywhere.

Yes, and even the Big Easy and Snoopy series phones they have out run Java, but they’re also being patched.

Good news for GreenKnight is they aren’t going to deprecate any more phones but you will need the SIP load. SCCP is dead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Partycat posted:

Yes, and even the Big Easy and Snoopy series phones they have out run Java, but they’re also being patched.

Good news for GreenKnight is they aren’t going to deprecate any more phones but you will need the SIP load. SCCP is dead.

Good to know. I manually load SCCP firmware on 7942 phones and then call manager can auto update it to the latest.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You have the same issue a friend does, you seem to care. Just let it burn down around you.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You have the same issue a friend does, you seem to care. Just let it burn down around you.

Giving a poo poo has always been my downfall, I felt bad for our new manager, he's a technical manager, had already been there longer than myself (and has minimum 1 hour drive home) and was going to stay to get as much done as possible.

Trip report on the weekend: Slept a lot friday night, did jack poo poo saturday except play with my pup and hang with fiancee, on Sunday had a great brunch with friends from out of town and got really drunk. Feeling kind of lovely today so productivity is down, but morale is up!

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 20, 2018

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yeah don't care about poo poo that is not your problem. Seemed like everything in that wall of text was Someone Else's gently caress Up and/or Problem.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’m going to try that attitude shift and see if it works

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Partycat posted:

I wasn't just talking about phones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

QED

Ticket Summary: Update Email Signature for new number
Ticket Details:
​I have a mobile now and need it added to email signature and skype.

Urgency 2 - Moderate

Resolution:
Added provided mobile number to AD profile.

Hours spent: 0

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Good to know. I manually load SCCP firmware on 7942 phones and then call manager can auto update it to the latest.

Also I spelled your name wrong :angel:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Partycat posted:

I’m going to try that attitude shift and see if it works
I've found that just saying "I do what I am told" helps when people ask me why I did a stupid thing that they told me to do.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Fool posted:

Password control aside, who can change her contact information? Ostensibly, she was e-mailing you because she thought you were the admin.

nexxai posted:

Seriously. You may *not* be the right person, but it's at least plausible from someone who doesn't know who is that you *would* be.
I'm in the IT department because A/V has advanced to the point that it's an IT discipline, involving boxes and networks and coding, but I'm the A/V guy. Only HR can change that info and problems beyond "I need help with classroom equipment" should not come to me.

Thanks Ants posted:

All phones are bad in their own way. Cisco UCM is good if it’s set up right but if you’re currently running a cloud service then it’s likely overkill.

Maybe look at Fuze?
Just give in, buy everyone an iPhone, and make them all use Zello.

MF_James posted:

gently caress, I'm just in a poo poo mood and I need to go down some golden monkey, thanks for reading angry word salad.
Explain that having requests answered results in more productivity, therefore more billable hours. If that doesn't work, may the eternal spirit of :yotj: bless you.

Knormal posted:

I wasn't just talking about phones.
I don't know how we managed it, but our drill sergeant sysadmin has managed to get Java deployment down to request-only and supports me in my demands that EOL Java devices be sent to the glue factory.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I've found that just saying "I do what I am told" helps when people ask me why I did a stupid thing that they told me to do.

At the advertising agency, we were a satellite office. Once i got called into the new CFO's office; he was pissed. He asked me point blank if I had told the newly hired VIP of interactive media that the CFO had said he couldn't have the software he need to do his job or a laptop powerful enough to run it. Oh no says I, I told him my boss said you'd done that.

One of the very few perks for working for an absolute shithead, is that people believe you when you say it was the boss who threw them under the bus, not me.

My boss was an absolute and utter shithead in oh so many ways.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Process improvement achieved. Me knees hurt less if I raise my chair to max height before putting my feet up on my desk.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Process improvement achieved. Me knees hurt less if I raise my chair to max height before putting my feet up on my desk.

I gotta replace the cylinder in my chair for this reason. When I put my feet up on the desk I feel like I'm prepping for a rectal exam.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I gotta replace the cylinder in my chair for this reason. When I put my feet up on the desk I feel like I'm prepping for a rectal exam.

In a good way?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spog posted:

In a good way?

When would there ever be a good way

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

spog posted:

In a good way?

There are only good ways.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jaded Burnout posted:

With a safeword and consenting partner :wiggle:.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Lmbo @ this nerd who’s never got his rear end ate

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Weedle posted:

Maybe they're not a millennial, I hear they're the only ones who eat rear end.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah that's avocado toast. Similar I know

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weedle posted:

If you’re getting examined in the process, well, you got som freak partner yo

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 22, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I have it on good authority that there are some freaks on the internet.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

D. Ebdrup posted:

I have it on good authority that there are some freaks on the internet.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jaded Burnout posted:

Her rear end. And if you’re getting examined in the process, well, you got som freak partner yo

It's polite to mention if you see or feel something weird :colbert:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Ghostlight posted:

QED

Ticket Summary: Update Email Signature for new number
Ticket Details:
​I have a mobile now and need it added to email signature and skype.

Urgency 2 - Moderate

Resolution:
Added provided mobile number to AD profile.

Hours spent: 4

FTFY

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in at my new job. I'm tasked with applying AV, Java, and Windows updates to our on-hand stock of loaner laptops. This is fine, it's something to accomplish through the day alongside handling uninteresting tickets.

It doesn't get interesting until the fifth of six - instead of POSTing, then prompting me for a drive encryption password, I'm greeted with a black screen, the CapsLock and NumLock lights flashing repetitively, and the fans at max. Okay. Google symptoms, appears to be a mild case of "the BIOS is hosed."

I start working on attempting to repair the BIOS. Method one - booting the machine with a button combo held down to jump into recovery mode for the BIOS - doesn't work. So on to method 2 - grab the serial number to get files from the manufacturer to make a flash drive that might let me repair the BIOS. Serial number's not on the bottom of the laptop, so might be inside.

I pop it open and...wait a moment. The RAM is missing. So is the HDD. The gently caress?

Check the ticketing system. Only two records for this machine - one from 2017 and another from 2016, in both cases the machine was being handed out as a loaner machine.

It's time to talk to asset management. The machine's apparently still listed as active in the management database - that is, we haven't decommissioned it. So, sometime between when the last user returned it and today, the HDD and RAM walked off and this was never recorded anywhere. The machine's not in AD, nor in the AV management server, so we have no idea when it was last used.

There's no conclusion to this yet. It's a mystery - who would bother stealing the HDD and RAM of a base model Probook 6560b? If it wasn't stolen, what happened to the HDD and RAM?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Have you considered that the last person to borrow it took the parts? Some places don't always make sure the equipment is alive when taking stuff back (ask me about the time a MacBook return actually contained a very old MacBook that didn't work meticulously wrapped in the cellophane). Cash of course, back before BBY required ID for all returns, so the store just had to eat it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

I start working on attempting to repair the BIOS. Method one - booting the machine with a button combo held down to jump into recovery mode for the BIOS - doesn't work. So on to method 2 - grab the serial number to get files from the manufacturer to make a flash drive that might let me repair the BIOS. Serial number's not on the bottom of the laptop, so might be inside.

In this situation, pulling the CMOS/RTC battery should be in your troubleshooting repertoire. That forces the BIOS settings back to factory and might get it POSTing again. I did that last week for a machine with severely corrupt UEFI settings, I couldn't get into BIOS to reset them manually, so brute force to the rescue again !

However, the first thing you do when you see a regular pattern of blinking lights on a machine that won't POST is to look up the manufacturer's blink codes. For example, an HP with missing or bad RAM would be flashing the power button and the caps lock light three times, pausing, then repeating. One blink is the CPU, saw that Monday in a coffee spill case.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Have you considered that the last person to borrow it took the parts? Some places don't always make sure the equipment is alive when taking stuff back (ask me about the time a MacBook return actually contained a very old MacBook that didn't work meticulously wrapped in the cellophane). Cash of course, back before BBY required ID for all returns, so the store just had to eat it.

It's entirely possible! Winkling that out isn't my job, though - I don't have the tools or experience to do so.

mllaneza posted:

In this situation, pulling the CMOS/RTC battery should be in your troubleshooting repertoire. That forces the BIOS settings back to factory and might get it POSTing again. I did that last week for a machine with severely corrupt UEFI settings, I couldn't get into BIOS to reset them manually, so brute force to the rescue again !

However, the first thing you do when you see a regular pattern of blinking lights on a machine that won't POST is to look up the manufacturer's blink codes. For example, an HP with missing or bad RAM would be flashing the power button and the caps lock light three times, pausing, then repeating. One blink is the CPU, saw that Monday in a coffee spill case.

It certainly is, and was going to be my next port of call if the BIOS recovery drive didn't work. However, "mysteriously missing hardware" is a bigger problem than a turbofucked BIOS.

I'll have to hunt up a list of HP blink codes - we're an entirely HP shop (don't ask me why, I have no clue) so it's probably handy reference material.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Back when Dell used to have the ABCD LED codes on the back of their desktops I found it incredibly useful to know them. Helped with bluffing past uncooperative support staff too at times.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

It's entirely possible! Winkling that out isn't my job, though - I don't have the tools or experience to do so.

It certainly is, and was going to be my next port of call if the BIOS recovery drive didn't work. However, "mysteriously missing hardware" is a bigger problem than a turbofucked BIOS.

I'll have to hunt up a list of HP blink codes - we're an entirely HP shop (don't ask me why, I have no clue) so it's probably handy reference material.

100% HP isn’t bad. It’s good to standardize.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

dragonshardz posted:

It was probably blinking because it didn't have any RAM. Pop some DIMMs in there and I bet it takes you right to the 'no bootable device' screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah, or just write it off and stop worrying about it.