Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I wish the demon child event had some sanity checks in it's code. Had an attempt at a Seimen game ruined when my daughter went demon and killed off her brothers, even though the law meant that she literally could never come to power. No sons meant game over on my first ruler :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Raserys posted:

there's an actual trait for reincarnation in rajas of India that should probably be given to characters who fail the immortality test, but that event chain was so impossibly rare that they've probably forgotten

I'm guessing it wasn't added because it's from a different DLC. They could have done an if statement to include it if the dlc was active, but probably decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Western Europe is steadily falling to Hispania, while Russia and Syria fall to Byzantium.

Maybe I should fire the Aztec event manually and see what happens?

Catholicism, Orthodox and Buddhism are dominant. The Kingdom of Jerusalem is mostly Anglo-Saxon, while Egypt is mostly Basque. A few years after this I won a crusade for Iraq. Gave it to my 14 year old half brother who is betrothed to the Basilica! I'll give him independence when he turns 16.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 21, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Chalks posted:

How common is this event? I've had it 3 times in my current game, lost twice and won once. I would expect a weird event like this to be more like once a playthrough, if that.

iirc its got a mean time to happen of like 3000+ months

So on average you should see it about once per 2-3 centuries played

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

iirc its got a mean time to happen of like 3000+ months

So on average you should see it about once per 2-3 centuries played

I find it helps to be really excited about your new ruler

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Looks like the hordes of Buddhist Mongols are going to sort out Byzantium at least.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm impressed with Abyssinia not only still being a thing, but still miaphysite.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Weavered posted:

Looks like the hordes of Buddhist Mongols are going to sort out Byzantium at least.

Nah, they conquered U-stang and Pala when they got on the scene but then fell apart. They've only rebounded because the Seljuks imploded via decadence. Egypt is ruled by a kinsman, I won it back in a crusade maybe 60-70 years ago, gave it to a brother.

By the way, why do AI rulers only want to rule one county?

I gave my brother Baghdad and 3 baronies that came along with it. Then I gave him the duchy and then the Kingdom. He has a demnse limit of 5. If it was me I would give out the baronies and keep 5 counties because baronies never rebel. Instead he gives out all the counties and only keeps the baronies, only have 4 domains. Why? Just for the bonus that marshal will give to his levy? It's stupid.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It'd be cool if that massive U-tsang blob was nomadic and a hereditary title.
In fact, that gives me an idea for a nomadic game. brb

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nah, they conquered U-stang and Pala when they got on the scene but then fell apart. They've only rebounded because the Seljuks imploded via decadence. Egypt is ruled by a kinsman, I won it back in a crusade maybe 60-70 years ago, gave it to a brother.

By the way, why do AI rulers only want to rule one county?

I gave my brother Baghdad and 3 baronies that came along with it. Then I gave him the duchy and then the Kingdom. He has a demnse limit of 5. If it was me I would give out the baronies and keep 5 counties because baronies never rebel. Instead he gives out all the counties and only keeps the baronies, only have 4 domains. Why? Just for the bonus that marshal will give to his levy? It's stupid.

You get more tax and levy bonuses from holdings in your capital county regardless of what your councillors are doing.

Edit...actually it’s only the capital holding. Carry on

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 21, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Controlling every barony in your capital is pretty good. Getting your Steward and Marshall bonuses to all your holdings is pretty significant on its own, but you also have all your holdings benefiting from the higher technology of your capital and any county bonuses like the Silk Road, prosperity or stuff from events. It also has a fringe benefit of concentrating a bunch of your levies in one place immediately, which is very useful in civil wars.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The main benefit is that your capital gets a hefty bonus to levies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If I convert my Norseman to Shia, can I still raid?

edit: Also, does searching for an artifact ever actually accomplish anything? It seems to be a great way to strip resources for a decade and not get anywhere.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Norse culture allows raiding, not the religion. Go nuts.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Azhais posted:

If I convert my Norseman to Shia, can I still raid?

edit: Also, does searching for an artifact ever actually accomplish anything? It seems to be a great way to strip resources for a decade and not get anywhere.

Are you culturally Norse? If so you can. Determining who can raid is based on culture, religion, and I believe government type. Norse and Berber cultures are raiding cultures. Germanic for sure is a raiding religion. I think tribals can always raid too? So a Norse Shia can raid, but if you culture convert to, say, Danish, you won't be able to. As an English Germanic you can. An Irish Christian can as long as they're tribal. I think that's all accurate, but I don't end up playing raiders often so I may be a little off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azhais posted:

Occasionally you get something really cool, like thor's hammer or the shroud of turin.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I usually have success with most of my artifact searches. That's not to say it's always something spectacular, but it usually works.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Been a couple years since I've played, jumped back in to restore the mighty Ruthenian empire.

:unsmigghh:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

catlord posted:

Are you culturally Norse? If so you can. Determining who can raid is based on culture, religion, and I believe government type. Norse and Berber cultures are raiding cultures. Germanic for sure is a raiding religion. I think tribals can always raid too? So a Norse Shia can raid, but if you culture convert to, say, Danish, you won't be able to. As an English Germanic you can. An Irish Christian can as long as they're tribal. I think that's all accurate, but I don't end up playing raiders often so I may be a little off.

I think you have it right. Tribals can definitely raid regardless of their religion but it has to be a different religion you're raiding if your culture and religion doesn't allow it. I was just raiding Norse Germanics with Polish tribal Christians.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I think you have it right. Tribals can definitely raid regardless of their religion but it has to be a different religion you're raiding if your culture and religion doesn't allow it. I was just raiding Norse Germanics with Polish tribal Christians.

I thought tribal allowed for same religion raiding? I seem to remember early complaints about tribal Irish not being able to raid their neighbours despite that being a big thing, and it getting added in a patch shortly afterwards, though I could be misremembering.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

catlord posted:

That's all been the case, thanks!

Nice being able to swim around in my Icelandic money pit while definitely not being decadent, no sir

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

catlord posted:

I thought tribal allowed for same religion raiding? I seem to remember early complaints about tribal Irish not being able to raid their neighbours despite that being a big thing, and it getting added in a patch shortly afterwards, though I could be misremembering.

Okay I just tested it, and it's weird. The tooltip for tribal government says infidel neighbors. When I was slavic and had all slavic neighbors it wouldn't even let me turn on raiding, saying I wasn't allowed to raid. But I just raided my catholic neighbor as a catholic.

This makes getting a ton of money for my next step of changing to feudal much easier, thanks.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 22, 2018

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

What are my options to kidnap someone?

Im looking to kidnap an eligible young lady of the Christian faith so I can force her into concubinage and then secretly adopt the faith.

Does the Intrigue focus allow you to select non rulers? Are there any other methods? Does the Devil Worshipping crew give you an option to abduct?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Controlling every barony in your capital is pretty good. Getting your Steward and Marshall bonuses to all your holdings is pretty significant on its own, but you also have all your holdings benefiting from the higher technology of your capital and any county bonuses like the Silk Road, prosperity or stuff from events. It also has a fringe benefit of concentrating a bunch of your levies in one place immediately, which is very useful in civil wars.

I love doing this. All your levies in one spot alongside your retinue standing on your capital can make for a giant army with zero effort. I purposefully place high marshal vassals around me so when they raise their levies in revolt I can insta raise a mini-doomstack and wipe out the biggest chunks of their army before it can group up. Confiscate the titles after the war and give them to the next line of high marshal people. It really helps against revolts when you can take out 7000 enemy troops because they spawn next to your 20000. Big chunk of war score and turns whats left of the revolt into a minor annoyance at best. Bonus is if those high marshal people don't revolt then you have another big chunk of people near your capital so you can get the majority of your troops grouped extremely quickly so its win-win. Doesn't work as well once you end up huge.

The longer you don't have a civil war the more that falls apart what with people dying and vassals acquiring more land.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chalks posted:

How common is this event? I've had it 3 times in my current game, lost twice and won once. I would expect a weird event like this to be more like once a playthrough, if that.

i've noticed it happens all the time when i make a bonkers-rear end cheat ruler with Ruler Designer Unlocked for general fuckery. like, it's nearly guaranteed that it'll happen within a few months of starting the game.

i sort of wonder if higher stats make it more likely to happen, as a pseudo anti-cheat?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moreau posted:

Does the Intrigue focus allow you to select non rulers? Are there any other methods? Does the Devil Worshipping crew give you an option to abduct?

Devil cults and the assassins both let you abduct if nothing else

Intrigue focus works on anyone in your realm

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Moreau posted:

Im looking to kidnap an eligible young lady of the Christian faith so I can force her into concubinage and then secretly adopt the faith.

You could just find a christian character with a non-christian liege and ask for a concubine, or use a favor to invite one to your court if you have Conclave.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 22, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Can you raid people out of their castles and into your prisons or is that just a mod thing?

(it's not really well targetted though, if you have a specific concubine in mind the other options are probably better)

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Yeah you can sometimes capture courtiers during raids but it's not common.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Various Meat Products posted:

Yeah you can sometimes capture courtiers during raids but it's not common.

If you target sundry capital counties they're pretty common.

At that point it just depends if the politics will let you siege them down in peace or not. Hit Christian territories during crusades, that sort of thing

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

There won't be any civil wars if I control every county and all my vassals are barons.

If you're so big that there can be a major civil war anyways then the counties in one duchy are close enough.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

How can I give away provinces with Conclave enabled? Nobody wants to let me give land away to anyone and my demense is too big :(

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Olewithmilk posted:

How can I give away provinces with Conclave enabled? Nobody wants to let me give land away to anyone and my demense is too big :(

When you attempt to give the county away, mouse over the tooltip in the 'Council Consideration' side-bar. That should give you an idea of why they're saying No.
I find when I'm still quite small, the usual reason is "I don't have any land" - if that's what they're saying, you can usually give a county away to a currently-landless courtier.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Olewithmilk posted:

Step 1: Replace your discontent council with a load of suck up loyalists.

Step 2: Do as you please.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
alternatively, or in addition, pass the law that lets you act without counsel approval in matters of <whatever>

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moreau posted:

Devil worship and assassins both allow kidnapping, but only of people who aren't related to dukes or above. Pretty easy to get a lady with nice congenital traits and any religion you want.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All you need to keep the council from plotting against you is to let the council have a say on declaring war. Everything else just increases the vassal limit.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

alternatively, or in addition, pass the law that lets you act without counsel approval in matters of <whatever>

:smuggo:

I usually have a rule of never, ever owing a councilor a favor, but the other day I accidentally appointed one who I already owed a favor to. Then the guy went and not only called it in to initiate a vote stripping away the last of the council's power, but actually called in enough favors from the other councilors to get it done without me intervening. So in return I gave him a duchy and a Lustful wife-- brownnosing really does pay off in my kingdom.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I can’t remember when these were added but I really like these little descriptions and images of your demesne government type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Olewithmilk posted:

Win over council members by:
a) bringing their opinion of you very high, which may or may not work depending on their traits
b) buy favors from them, which costs a lot of money and may be refused if they hate you enough
c) fire the naysayers, replace them with people who really like you, and be ready to deal with a pissed-off former council member who now has like -70 opinion against you
d) change your council laws, which requires your council to already be fairly compliant, and increases the likelihood and strength of "increase council power" factions in the future

Alternately, if it's a fairly even vote, you can usually win over one of the council members by giving the land to them, their sons, or maybe someone they really like. Of course, this often means giving land to people who are already your strongest and most troublesome vassals.

And of course, you can just keep the land for a while and eat the penalties. Being one barony over the limit hurts but isn't cripplingly bad.

That's a good sum-up of why I like the council system so much. It's a system of tradeoffs where you have a lot of options but almost everything requires some kind of risk or sacrifice, and it's a lot more interesting and flexible to work with than event-based choices because it's laced through many of the game systems and you can engage with it on your own terms. The Conclave council is a delicate balancing act between keeping your strongest vassals in line, having high-stat councilors to give you strong results at council jobs, and having the freedom to act and govern as you like.

• Locked thread