Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

remusclaw posted:

That is like, peak Batman aesthetically to me. Something about grimy rear end seventies looking Gotham is so perfect. That said, am I reading that margin right, 1994?

It's not a date; the book came out in 1974.

And Jim Aparo is *kisses fingertips*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Right. so in this story, Batman legit dies by electrocution, so the Atom climbs into his skull and runs around on his brain to animate his corpse and track down the killers to save the woman they kidnapped. At the end of the story, it turns out all of that running around on his brain jump-started it and brought Batman back to life. Bob Haney, folks.

This story always reminds me of another story (also by Haney IIRC) where Superman dies for real and they cut all his organs out for transplant. Then they're stolen by criminals who use the super powers they get from them until Batman can stop them.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Here is a question that probably comes up more than I have seen, but I am curious. DC has been doing their thing since the 30s and Marvel since the 60s. Generally, Marvel stuff from the 60's is still looked at fondly and and seen as worth reading, with the caveat that it can be hard going if you aren't into the text heavy sort of stories they were telling in comics at the time.

DC on the other hand. It feels like the only stuff looked at fondly is 80's stuff up, starting maybe a little before Crisis on Infinite Earths, with maybe some love strewn about for strange Superdickery covers and 70s Neil Adams Batman just for it's look and some of the characters that appeared then. Am I wrong here? Is pre 80's DC so unloved beyond its occasional forays into camp?

I mean, looking just at the way the characters are interpreted in other media, it feels like Marvel is cribbing from the entire back catalog, but DC, it feels like the characters were created a long time ago, but nobody is making movies based on anything older than Dark Knight Returns.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 22, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

remusclaw posted:

DC on the other hand. It feels like the only stuff looked at fondly is 80's stuff up, starting maybe a little before Crisis on Infinite Earths, with maybe some love strewn about for strange Superdickery covers and 70s Neil Adams Batman just for it's look and some of the characters that appeared then. Am I wrong here? Is pre 80's DC so unloved beyond its occasional forays into camp?

You're wrong, but pre-80's DC is really spotty.

So there is a lot of genuine affection for the silver age books. They're light-hearted and goofy, but that is 100% intentional. They were making children's cartoons in book form, not serious stories for serious people.

The seventies brought in a lot of fresh talent to DC some of which was extremely good. Just this page someone was gushing about Jim Aparo's Batman and the 1970's is really when Batman started to come into his own as an interesting character (okay, most people go with New Look Batman which is a few years before that, but you can really see the difference in the 1970's).

Batman wasn't Aparo's first really great DC book, too. He did a run on the Spectre in the mid-60's that's absolutely fantastic.

The Legion of Superheroes was probably the most "Marvel style" book DC was publishing and it was developing at the exact same time the Marvel universe was forming. By the mid-60's in the book there's long, soap opera style stories that are developing.

DC published a lot more than superhero books, too. Jonah Hex is amazing. So is Kubert war stuff, if you want an example to look at immediately go with Enemy Ace.

In the golden age I have a lot harder time picking out National Comics stuff that's really stand out. DC has absorbed or bought out a lot of the best stuff from that era, though I don't want to give them credit for Plastic Man, the Spirit, or Captain Marvel.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

You're wrong, but pre-80's DC is really spotty.

Just this page someone was gushing about Jim Aparo's Batman

That was me about the art, I love it. It just feels so underrepresented as compared to Marvel when it comes to love and I guess representation in modern writing, though now that I think about it, modern Flash and Green Lantern are straight up the result of someone who loved it a little too much so maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman comics were genuinely good in the 70's.

edit: That's the only character I've been reading a lot of from the era because of the recent creator focused collections. Can't speak to the rest.

Selachian posted:

70s DC also had the classic Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories, and Jack Kirby's Fourth World/New Gods stuff.

Of course. I'm gonna go destroy myself for forgetting Kirby.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 22, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Denny O Neil had a huge part in why Batman was great in 70s and his contribution to the character can never be overstated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

No, they're right. After CoIE it was revealed that Proty didn't die, he just transferred his soul into Lightning Lad's body. He never came back from the dead, someone else just moved into his body and pretended to be him

A retcon doesn't change what historically happened.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's not a date; the book came out in 1974.

And Jim Aparo is *kisses fingertips*

For me, Aparo's will always be the definitive Batman. He also did a great Joker.

70s DC also had the classic Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories, and Jack Kirby's Fourth World/New Gods stuff.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ImpAtom posted:

Boy, Sue Dibny must be pissed.

:drat:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It might be an odd takeaway but one of the things I like most about 70s Batman is that it's the era when he felt most like a pulp hero than a superhero, in a way I'm not sure he really has since; I think Batman from Year One onwards was a more of a gothic figure for the most part.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

It might be an odd takeaway but one of the things I like most about 70s Batman is that it's the era when he felt most like a pulp hero than a superhero, in a way I'm not sure he really has since; I think Batman from Year One onwards was a more of a gothic figure for the most part.

Isn't that when they started really stressing that Bats is a great detective?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Denny O Neil (with Neal Adams) did a lot in the 70's to move Batman out of the shadow of the campy tv show from the 60's. His stories were usually detective based, or leaning on some form of gothic horror. I don't know if they have ever been collected but if they have they are worth checking out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

I don't know if they have ever been collected but if they have they are worth checking out.

There have been Neal Adams focused collections with horrific "modern" recolouring full of gradients and lens flares and stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

There have been Neal Adams focused collections with horrific "modern" recolouring full of gradients and lens flares and stuff.

Yeah, modern recoloring, even when done with the full support of the original artist like it was with those collections, just looks terrible.

I was thinking O'Neal wrote the way too short Marshall Rogers run on Batman which has been collected and is goddamned amazing (the laughing fish story is part of it), but checking it turns out Len Wein wrote those issues. They're still something from that period that everyone should read, though.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I have a question.

Years ago I read a friend's Batman trade paperback where Commissioner Gordon talks to some fellow police about the law and uses a handcuff key to make his point.

I've searched for, but cannot find the comic. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kumo posted:

I have a question.

Years ago I read a friend's Batman trade paperback where Commissioner Gordon talks to some fellow police about the law and uses a handcuff key to make his point.

I've searched for, but cannot find the comic. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Batman 587 from Rucka's run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Batman 587 from Rucka's run.

I believe that it was the start of officer down

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In the issue, it's intercut with a Batman adventure, and there's a bit before and after the scene in question, but here's the scene on it's own, just to see if it rings any bells for you:

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Squizzle posted:

In the issue, it's intercut with a Batman adventure, and there's a bit before and after the scene in question, but here's the scene on it's own, just to see if it rings any bells for you:

Aye. That's the one. My sincere thanks for this, and to the others who responded.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Squizzle posted:

Cool scene.
I didn't know the characters from Gotham Central appeared before. Do they come up in Rucka's Detective?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Okay, now what's the Batman story where Gordon beats up a guy who has a baseball bat?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

10 Beers posted:

Okay, now what's the Batman story where Gordon beats up a guy who has a baseball bat?

I cant tell if you're joking but that's Year One

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Retro Futurist posted:

I cant tell if you're joking but that's Year One

Well poo poo, and I own that, too. I honestly couldn't remember. Thanks!

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is the Old Man Logan doing stuff in 616 the same Old Man Logan from Secret Wars or is he the one from the Millar/McNiven series? Is Old Man Hawkeye a prequel to the Millar/McNiven book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

radlum posted:

Is the Old Man Logan doing stuff in 616 the same Old Man Logan from Secret Wars or is he the one from the Millar/McNiven series? Is Old Man Hawkeye a prequel to the Millar/McNiven book?

Yes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OML is from his Secret Wars world, which is not exactly the one from Millar's story, though the distinction isn't really worth worrying about by now.
Didn't read Hawkeye.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

When they did the DC/Marvel crossover did they have Hulk crossover and did he fight Superman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

When they did the DC/Marvel crossover did they have Hulk crossover and did he fight Superman?

Yes. Superman won.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Yes. Superman won.

Cool, that would have been an opportunity lost if they hadn't done that. I've just read Incredible Hulk #113 where the Sandman nearly beats the Hulk. I never thought of Sandman as being that much of a threat is he considered a high powered villain?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Cool, that would have been an opportunity lost if they hadn't done that. I've just read Incredible Hulk #113 where the Sandman nearly beats the Hulk. I never thought of Sandman as being that much of a threat is he considered a high powered villain?

Traditionally, he's one of those guys whose intelligence (or lack thereof) holds him back and is generally why he's a Spidey villain*, although he does have his moments. He's more uneducated than dumb, unlike, say, Hydro-Man.

*And once upon a time a reserve Avenger when he'd reformed for a while.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bessantj posted:

He's one of those villains who seems to become much more powerful when he's fighting someone other than Spider-Man. Usually it's when he fights Hulk (and remember how he had that weird armour costume when he fought the Hulk?) or when he's in the Frightful Four.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Traditionally, he's one of those guys whose intelligence (or lack thereof) holds him back and is generally why he's a Spidey villain*, although he does have his moments. He's more uneducated than dumb, unlike, say, Hydro-Man.

*And once upon a time a reserve Avenger when he'd reformed for a while.

Hydro-Man is intellectually challenged? What about Molten-Man seems like he should be tough.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Like a lot of guys if Sandman's powers were logically extrapolated he would be incredibly dangerous, what with suffocation, the abrasive properties of sand, and even stuff like mixed solid liquification. So as said, it depends on the writer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Hydro-Man is intellectually challenged? What about Molten-Man seems like he should be tough.

Yeah. Ol' Morris Bench is as dumb as a bag of hammers. His main tactics are 'drown people' and 'blast them with water.'

As for Molten Man, he's actually smart. A scientist of some sort (in that I don't think it's ever been made more specific what field he's in other than 'The Science'). He's a brick, plus can shoot heat blasts and whatnot. Lost his powers sometime during Slott's run if I remember right.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's one of those villains who seems to become much more powerful when he's fighting someone other than Spider-Man. Usually it's when he fights Hulk (and remember how he had that weird armour costume when he fought the Hulk?) or when he's in the Frightful Four.

So a sort of power match depending on the hero? I thought he hadn't had that snazzy armour before, he's just been turned to glass that armour along with him.

Scaramouche posted:

Like a lot of guys if Sandman's powers were logically extrapolated he would be incredibly dangerous, what with suffocation, the abrasive properties of sand, and even stuff like mixed solid liquification. So as said, it depends on the writer.

It does seem like he should be dangerous but I don't remember him being so, but there is so much I haven't read which is why I'm going through them now. He's just been turned into glass and Betty stopped Hulk from smashing him. One way to defeat him.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Ol' Morris Bench is as dumb as a bag of hammers. His main tactics are 'drown people' and 'blast them with water.'

As for Molten Man, he's actually smart. A scientist of some sort (in that I don't think it's ever been made more specific what field he's in other than 'The Science'). He's a brick, plus can shoot heat blasts and whatnot. Lost his powers sometime during Slott's run if I remember right.

As soon as read what you put I remembered I've seen Molten Man's origin in an early Spider-Man. Long way from Hydro-Man though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

It does seem like he should be dangerous but I don't remember him being so, but there is so much I haven't read which is why I'm going through them now. He's just been turned into glass and Betty stopped Hulk from smashing him. One way to defeat him.

That happened once in an Erik Larsen Spidey store, where Sandman even went so far as to get smashed while in glass form. He showed up in the final act all deus ex machina, a man of living glass shards (so basically the DC villain Shrapnel).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

It doesn't seem like being shattered into a zillion little shards should be fatal for a guy who can spread out his grains of sand all over the place and not die. I'm sure Spidey has blown him away with a fire hose at least once.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

It doesn't seem like being shattered into a zillion little shards should be fatal for a guy who can spread out his grains of sand all over the place and not die. I'm sure Spidey has blown him away with a fire hose at least once.

I guess he's able to do that if sand but not glass. Maybe the 90s Spider-Man has coloured my opinion of him and probably most villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ImpAtom posted:

No, they're right. After CoIE it was revealed that Proty didn't die, he just transferred his soul into Lightning Lad's body. He never came back from the dead, someone else just moved into his body and pretended to be him

Every time I read some Legion of Superheroes stuff it's wild. I need to go through it all at some point.