Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

WampaLord posted:

Speaking of Kelsey Grammer, I just watched Pentagon Wars and everyone should watch that movie if you haven't seen it, it's loving great stuff.
The book is really good. It's a serious topic, but Burton has a sort of very subtle dry wit that makes a comedy make sense.

James G. Burton posted:

When Boyd retired from the Air Force in the fall of 1975, he went into seclusion. He concentrated entirely on putting into words the ideas that had been swirling around in his head on the subject of how the mind works. During this time, our friendship really began and the nightly telephone calls became a regular part of my life. My teenage daughter could not understand how someone could talk so long on the telephone every night. Her repeated complaints to her mother led to the “Boyd Phone” with its separate number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Everyone thinks that kitchen in Frasier's apartment sucks but it actually has an incredibly expensive sound-dampening field that lets you have loud conversations without anyone in the living room hearing the very plot-pertinent things you are saying.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like, an ordinary person realises that they're in the plot of a sitcom, and the only way out is to give the characters what they want while ensuring he remains as nothing but a background detail of their lives.

Marbury thanks you for your interest *click*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Everyone thinks that kitchen in Frasier's apartment sucks but it actually has an incredibly expensive sound-dampening field that lets you have loud conversations without anyone in the living room hearing the very plot-pertinent things you are saying.

Hell, even when Daphne walks in while Niles and Frasier are talking about him loving her she can't hear anything. It's an amazing kitchen. But, when you speak about his faux granite counter tops, and you will, be kind.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m watching cheers now and man Lilith and Frasier's break up is heartbreaking

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, they really were the best couple on Cheers. Though Sam finally being friends with Rebecca was pretty great too. Hopefully Kirstie Alley will be in the Frasier reboot!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, they really were the best couple on Cheers. Though Sam finally being friends with Rebecca was pretty great too. Hopefully Kirstie Alley will be in the Frasier reboot!

Yeah I like how Sam mellows out in this season being a more passive character instead of a degenerate pervert main character

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Calaveron posted:

I’m watching cheers now and man Lilith and Frasier's break up is heartbreaking

The scene on the bench is pretty loving raw, and true, emotionally. It's the moment where Frasier stops being a supporting character and really comes into his own, to the extent that I'd give Grammer top billing with Ted Danson and Kristi Allie as the stars of late-period Cheers (the rest of the top shelf ensemble notwithstanding).

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I like how Sam mellows out in this season being a more passive character instead of a degenerate pervert main character

In addition to not being as much of a perv, the character shows real growth and maturity. By the end of the series, you get the sense that Sam is more self-aware. A lot of critics of the character arc claim he gets dumber as the show progresses, but while it's true that Sam's "playing dumb" wit is a bit more subdued I think he actually becomes a much wiser character in the second half. He learns to be platonic friends with women, to run a business in a more sustainable way, and faces up to his sexual mania. The arc is also a little melancholic because you realize that the love of his life really is Diane despite never being able to have a healthy relationship with her, and there's a sense he's never going to love like that again. His appearance on Frasier is kind of disappointing because you realize how hard it is for him to form a healthy relationship. But hey, I appreciate the realism. Sustainable personal growth is not easy.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

humpthewind posted:

how is this thread 71 pages long?

I asked for a whisper of a thread and got a shout!

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Le Cigare Volant!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i just got to the episode where niles bangs lilith.

holy poo poo did they tart her up for that one, god drat

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Best intro ever is Niles getting ready for a date(?) and managing to knock himself out and start a fire.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The episode I was watching that made me think about the sound dampening fields surrounding Frasier's kitchen is the one where Daphne briefly dates Niles 2. It's very funny.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

holy poo poo did they tart her up for that one, god drat

Bebe Neuwirth is seriously one of TV's most underrated beauties. :swoon:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Best intro ever is Niles getting ready for a date(?) and managing to knock himself out and start a fire.

I remember watching that live the first time it aired and my family and I were dying with laughter. It's a pitch-perfect comedy scene, all done with no dialogue to boot, and it's just the cold open of the episode!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Roz my frasier hole

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They do say love comes best through the nose.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And a touch of Tahitian vanilla.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Source pls

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Elephunk posted:

Source pls

It's a valentines day episode, late season, it's a bunch of vignettes of everyone's valentines day and it's pretty funny

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Elephunk posted:

Source pls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Goddamn it is stone cold heartrending how Frasier and Lilith's marriage falls apart. Mega props and no wonder Frasier was the one guy who got a spin-off

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Did we already talk about how Eddie's dog actor died and they replaced him with his dog son?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think they'd been training Moose Jr. as an understudy for a while beforehand.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A power acting family that rivals even the Sheens.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

... oh-kay.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think they'd been training Moose Jr. as an understudy for a while beforehand.

Apparently Enzo was a massive pain in the rear end for a while before settling down.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 23, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn it is stone cold heartrending how Frasier and Lilith's marriage falls apart. Mega props and no wonder Frasier was the one guy who got a spin-off

Imagine a Lilith spinoff where she has to navigate the Boston dating scene while raising her son alone with only very occasional input from her douchebag ex-husband who moved across the country.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Imagine a Lilith spinoff where she has to navigate the Boston dating scene while raising her son alone with only very occasional input from her douchebag ex-husband who moved across the country.

This and also it's an HBO series

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
egg jazz all over my face

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grendel was a great book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Frederick had his moments, but I have a feeling he'd get old fast (soap opera rapid ageing aside) as a regular character.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Instead of a reboot it should be a Freddy spinoff. Get Chris Diamantopoulos to star as Freddy, the tough as nails no-nonsense police officer who hates his deadbeat dad and insane aunt and uncle. The only happiness he finds is solving his granddads old unsolved cases.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frederick had his moments, but I have a feeling he'd get old fast (soap opera rapid ageing aside) as a regular character.

What even is his character in the show

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Grendel was a great book.

...yes?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What even is his character in the show

Mostly ordinary cheerful kid who occasionally shows signs of his family weirdness and becomes a goth for a while. Mostly works well playing off the others.

I love the bit where Frasier and Lillith realise that Frederick has been manipulating them against each other to guilt them into getting him a dirt bike, and decide that means that he's perfectly normal.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i only just now got that goth freddy is lillith's son so of course poo poo got all addams family over there

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Solice Kirsk posted:

That'll never happen, for the same reason she is the one main Cheers character who never guested on Frasier: Scientology hates psychiatry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

That'll never happen, for the same reason she is the one main Cheers character who never guested on Frasier: Scientology hates psychiatry.

I had assumed that was because she was going through one of her 'fat' periods when Frasier was on.