Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Liquor store parking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Selklubber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNCe6iBFoM4

This whole video is very OSHA and very interesting. Divers living in an athmosphere of hydrogen and helium at 500 meters for a month, screwing pipes.

I know it gets boring down there, but could they not bring a fleshlight?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://twitter.com/ThugnastyMMA/status/1032014226657878023

:gonk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bitterandtwisted posted:

I loved Crazy Taxi

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm the co-driver texting

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I know it gets boring down there, but could they not bring a fleshlight?

Between dives the following sounds could be heard emanating from the divers private quarters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMirqoRlzM

These sounds are as of yet unexplained.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm the co-driver texting

I think hes reading his course notes from his phone

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wjs5 posted:

Just what you want when flying over rutted gravel at 100 mph, a small screen on a device that could shut off if smacked the right way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wjs5 posted:

Seems dumb.

He should probably have iPad so it’s easier to read

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I cant find it right now but I love the one where there is an aired shot of one going off course and into a vineyard.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Applesnots posted:

I cant find it right now but I love the one where there is an aired shot of one going off course and into a vineyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBlSLIpHYU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

beep beep I'm a vintner now

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can never know if I'm remembering the details right so I can also never be sure of any clips I see but during the brief stint that I watched WRC rallies I want to say I remember a crash where the car just went right off a cliff. Not rolled down the side of a steep hill like that one Pike's Peak turn but in my mind's eye the car just lost all traction on a turn overlooking a sharp descent and just flew off.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCCNNpmt8ds

This one?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

"Oh, man! That was way worse than last year!"

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Those dudes didn't have a rally spec cage and are lucky to be alive.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Or this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fvsItXYgzk

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

gently caress SNL for not allowing Canada to watch their videos.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Messadiah posted:

gently caress SNL for not allowing Canada to watch their videos.

Didn’t watch, but please tell me that this is toonces.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BgRdMchne posted:

Didn’t watch, but please tell me that this is toonces.

of course it's toonces

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

of course it's toonces

Thank you. It’s also OSHA to open the front door without checking if it’s the landshark calling.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

BlockChainNetflix posted:

Between dives the following sounds could be heard emanating from the divers private quarters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMirqoRlzM

These sounds are as of yet unexplained.

Saturation divers don't have private quarters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjup5sitTQ

Honky Dong Country's yearly nuke thread is up.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866556

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mean, no, because I specifically said not that exact turn :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Screw paternosters.

https://i.imgur.com/8dTGlqS.mp4

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't see what's wrong with that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The storage kind is actually very good (and by now the far more common type of paternoster).

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Person in wheelchair: "Nah, I'll just take the stairs, thanks."

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

every fiber of my being wants to ride in one when it flips over the top though

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

From the cursed images thread:

Away all Goats posted:

Fire escape in India

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Don't you usually have to hold down two buttons to make a handheld drill go? This guy may be haunted by dexterous ghosts. Or he's an idiot that disabled that safety feature.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't you usually have to hold down two buttons to make a handheld drill go?

Nah.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't you usually have to hold down two buttons to make a handheld drill go? This guy may be haunted by dexterous ghosts. Or he's an idiot that disabled that safety feature.

Guess we know who's never used a handheld drill before.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

ullerrm posted:

This was taken at the PF-4 lab in Los Alamos in 2011. They put them on a table to photograph them, to show how finely machined they were.

It's dangerous because there's enough plutonium in those rods to constitute critical mass. Bump the table so that one of the rods rolls into its adjacent one, and there's a reasonable fear that it could trigger an uncontrolled nuclear chain reaction, killing everyone in the room and rendering the building uninhabitable.

Hell, you don't even need to move the rods -- just have a lot of people standing around the table. Human bodies are mostly water, and pretty good at reflecting neutrons.

Multiple safety managers at LANL resigned in protest when this picture made the rounds, and the lab lost its charter to perform plutonium handling.

I know this is a few pages back but this is one of the most fascinating gently caress ups I have ever read about. My knowledge of nuclear energy is rudimentary at best but god drat it is interesting.

Does anyone have more poo poo related to this that is a good read? Or something similar?

Also, GIS "Fukushima flowers" and you get neat results.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JB50 posted:

Guess we know who's never used a handheld drill before.

I've used three, and all three had both a finger trigger and a thumb slider that had to be used at the same time to make the drill go. Have . . . have I only been allowed to use drills designed for retards? :saddowns:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Does anyone have more poo poo related to this that is a good read? Or something similar?

Start reading this page at “Well, I want to tell about some of the special problems I had at Los Alamos that were rather interesting.”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Most of which are bullshit.

(There are photos of flowers near Fukushima that are possibly mutants or possibly fasciated.. There are also photos of mutant or fasciated flowers nowhere near Fukushima.)

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Platystemon posted:

Start reading this page at “Well, I want to tell about some of the special problems I had at Los Alamos that were rather interesting.”

Thanks, man. :unsmith:

I'll read anything else people toss at me. I appreciate it.

Edit:

Phanatic posted:

Most of which are bullshit.

(There are photos of mutant flowers near Fukushima. There are also photos of mutant flowers nowhere near Fukushima.)

Really? Goddamn. Are the "melting daisies" real?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Really? Goddamn. Are the "melting daisies" real?
The photos are real but the cause isn't necessarily radiation from Fukushima.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/dont-freak-out-over-funky-flowers-appeared-near-fukushima-180956021/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've used three, and all three had both a finger trigger and a thumb slider that had to be used at the same time to make the drill go. Have . . . have I only been allowed to use drills designed for retards? :saddowns:

Yes, yes you have.

I assume you are talking about something like this:

When they gave you the special drill, did they give you drillbits made of foam and a soft plastic hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I know this is a few pages back but this is one of the most fascinating gently caress ups I have ever read about. My knowledge of nuclear energy is rudimentary at best but god drat it is interesting.

The demon core is an example of what happens when you take a similar risk and it ends up going very badly, on two separate occasions.

quote:

The core was placed within a stack of neutron-reflective tungsten carbide bricks and the addition of each brick moved the assembly closer to criticality. While attempting to stack another brick around the assembly, Daghlian accidentally dropped it onto the core and thereby caused the core to go well into supercriticality, a self-sustaining critical chain reaction. He quickly moved the brick off the assembly, but received a fatal dose of radiation.

quote:

On the day of the accident, Slotin's screwdriver slipped outward a fraction of an inch while he was lowering the top reflector, allowing the reflector to fall into place around the core. Instantly there was a flash of blue light and a wave of heat across Slotin's skin; the core had become supercritical, releasing an intense burst of neutron radiation estimated to have lasted about a half second.[6] Slotin quickly twisted his wrist, flipping the top shell to the floor. The heating of the core and shells stopped the criticality within seconds of its initiation,[15] while Slotin's reaction prevented a recurrence and ended the accident. The position of Slotin's body over the apparatus also shielded the others from much of the neutron radiation, but he received a lethal dose of 1,000 rad (10 Gy) neutron and 114 rad (1.14 Gy) gamma radiation in under a second and died nine days later from acute radiation poisoning.

quote:

After these incidents the core, originally known as "Rufus", was referred to as the "demon core".