Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

fadam posted:

He seems kind of like a BJ-lite where you can pop your ability to get a huge leg-up in a fight that you would otherwise lose 100% of the time.

Pretty much with a better stack but crappier passive and active.

hawowanlawow posted:

DK fireball direct hits do a shitload of damage. I go for direct hits and consider the ground fire a small bonus, honestly

I'm aware and I do as well. Just observing that last night the games went from Death Knights everywhere to almost none of them but a bunch of clutch and nyx. Both of which are pretty hard counters to "I do a bunch of damage now" characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

just started playing this, I was really into q1/q3a back in the day but nearly completely stopped for like a decade. I can't say I love all the skinner box stuff and the fact that characters have unequal stats but the core gameplay is still fun at least, except when you're going against some tank character who just doesn't die or get hit by some stupid DOT ability

check out dat accuracy but disregard the k/d ratio :smug:

also is there a way to make this game just show you the scoreboard the second the match is over instead of what it does by default, it's incredibly annoying

e: am I the only one who hates blood covenant? it's such a lovely map to me and people overwhelmingly pick it every. goddamn. time.

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 22, 2018

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Fortylions is streaming a den on twitch again tonight. Pretty great stuff and some fun matches.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

d0s posted:

e: am I the only one who hates blood covenant? it's such a lovely map to me and people overwhelmingly pick it every. goddamn. time.

it's a remake of the literal most popular quake 3 map, so probably yes.

What don't you like about it?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jabor posted:

it's a remake of the literal most popular quake 3 map, so probably yes.

What don't you like about it?

never liked camping grounds or understood it's popularity either so maybe I'm just weird. I can't explain it technically beyond not liking the flow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

d0s posted:

also is there a way to make this game just show you the scoreboard the second the match is over instead of what it does by default, it's incredibly annoying

gently caress I wish. Single worst part of the game. They're busy working on core gameplay stuff like CTF right now, hopefully once they get a bit more main poo poo done they can fix the UI.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MJBuddy posted:

Fortylions is streaming a den on twitch again tonight. Pretty great stuff and some fun matches.
That's cool. I got a chest just for watching.

d0s posted:

Yeah. It's really confusing and terrible. Makes no sense.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

ahh. cool.

thought i did get the boomstick a couple chests later, after already having the diablo :getin:

I wish the champs on the lobby screen/victory screens showed your currently equipped shotgun/railgun or whatever, instead of the default

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:
One of the reliquaries I opened the other day gave me 3 uncommon shaders :smith:

There are way too many shaders in general, and their rarities are dumb. It feels like a significant portion of my rare drops end up being a boring camo pattern, and I'm pretty sure I've opened an epic weapon skin that was in some variation of gunmetal.

evilfunkyogi fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 22, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It took me a while but I now have a PC that can run Quake Champions and it owns big time, how much will I be penalized if I just ignore the other classes or unlocking them? Who has a class ability that is the easiest to mesh into a normal Quake playstyle? Sort of hate this teleporting ball that only takes me half as far as the ball went

$30 version worth it? Buy $4.99 thing first?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

extra stout posted:

It took me a while but I now have a PC that can run Quake Champions and it owns big time, how much will I be penalized if I just ignore the other classes or unlocking them? Who has a class ability that is the easiest to mesh into a normal Quake playstyle? Sort of hate this teleporting ball that only takes me half as far as the ball went

$30 version worth it? Buy $4.99 thing first?

Unless you play duel or ranked having other characters is up to to you. In duel you need three, in competitive it's one of each per team maxed. In addition both sides get a vote ban competitively, this means the most OP characters are removed (currently clutch and BJ).

Current meta:
OP: Clutch, BJ
Tier 1: Galena, Visor, Ranger
Also shows up: Strogg, Keel

Ranger himself is very solid. His active is an instant kill, his passive is solid, and both his active and passive give him movement options. The others in the top stack just have abilities combined with passives that make them flat out better than the rest. Clutch is faster than hell and can shut down a team's offense on his own. BJ regenerates when low and has an instant win button. Galena has pocket mega healths that can stack up. Visor has a wall hack. But there is no need to play anybody but Ranger in casual/arcade style unless you really want to.

The $30 saves you grinding characters and gives you access to every character that drops when it drops. IMHO it's worth it.

As for the other characters. Some of them have movement options from prior Quake (Anarki, Slorag, Nyx) some of them have easier to use abilities that don't change the game flow but just spit damage (Death Knight, Keel), and some of them are just alien to what you are used to (Nyx, Doom, Strogg). It's worth trying all of them. I got the $30 pack and drifted towards Slash, Galena, and DK and they all play very differently.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been playing some slash but I don't really understand how to use her passive

Any advice?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've been playing some slash but I don't really understand how to use her passive

Any advice?

You ever play Quake 4 MP? When you are strafe jumping and land you hit crouch and you can carve sharp turns (even 180's) as if you were on hockey skates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV3YiLOScFc

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

MysteriousStranger posted:

You ever play Quake 4 MP? When you are strafe jumping and land you hit crouch and you can carve sharp turns (even 180's) as if you were on hockey skates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV3YiLOScFc

No q4 mp. Just a shitload of q2, and a little q3 demo

I'll check that video out when I get home, thanks

On another note some kid was.playing and kept calling this a meme game, I think because it wasn't holding their hand and they were getting destroyed. :bahgawd: kids these days expect everything to be handed to them

Get good

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

For slash, if you can spread jump and crouch between mouse and kb it is easier to learn. If you have space and lctrl for that it just feels unwielding.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Mindblast posted:

For slash, if you can spread jump and crouch between mouse and kb it is easier to learn. If you have space and lctrl for that it just feels unwielding.

I use left shift

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

extra stout posted:

Who has a class ability that is the easiest to mesh into a normal Quake playstyle? Sort of hate this teleporting ball that only takes me half as far as the ball went

I would suggest Visor since his ability is purely informative and just enables you to Quake better.

Ultimately your probably going to have to learn all the abilities if you want to get far. It's a different game for better or for worse and champion balance can change drastically every patch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'd play visor more if he didn't sound like a freight train walking around

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

hawowanlawow posted:

I'd play visor more if he didn't sound like a freight train walking around

That's sort of to help counter the fact he can see you through the wall! Also you can hear most people tromping around in smaller games.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

MysteriousStranger posted:

That's sort of to help counter the fact he can see you through the wall! Also you can hear most people tromping around in smaller games.

Not when I'm rocking out to the new soundtrack and sprinting around to give people rocket hugs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Most of my kills in this game come from bhopping around blind corners directly into people and firing my rocket/railgun/shotgun point blank at their faces, which sometimes results in both of us dying. I think I'm playing it wrong, but it works, so I don't mind.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

CJacobs posted:

Most of my kills in this game come from bhopping around blind corners directly into people and firing my rocket/railgun/shotgun point blank at their faces, which sometimes results in both of us dying. I think I'm playing it wrong, but it works, so I don't mind.

Sounds about right for an Anarki player tbh

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I just finished grinding the “20 scavengers” challenge on Slash. It turns out that focusing entirely on item timing in FFA is a decent strategy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have definitely survived point-blank-rocket-battles more often than my opponent purely because of Ranger's class ability. The guy eats splash damage for breakfast.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ranger is super fun but I think once I hit level 30, I'm going to try a different champion.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
nyx is basically the dead ringer spy from tf2 except you can trigger it at will if you think you're about to get your rear end kicked

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Thief posted:

nyx is basically the dead ringer spy from tf2 except you can trigger it at will if you think you're about to get your rear end kicked

Also ran into a bunch of Nyx recently hard countering my BJ ability which looks like it's catching on.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

on top of it, the wall jump is hardly the best or easiest to use movement ability but it does help make you unpredictable which is kind of a huge deal for anyone that enjoys harassment tactics

but BJ's dual wielding will never get old because you can quite literally do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhrrJEN6ygo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doomguy and BJ are good fun because they allow you to assess what kind of gamer you're facing based on how they react to triggering your ult: Some people flee without even assessing the threat, while others will run directly at you and try to frantically gun you down before you can even attack (which works, but don't tell the first group that).

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

MJBuddy posted:

Also ran into a bunch of Nyx recently hard countering my BJ ability which looks like it's catching on.

Nyx and Clutch straight hard counter any sort of burst damage character. Scalebearer of all things quasi does as well as he takes less damage when he activates.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Housh posted:

Ranger is super fun but I think once I hit level 30, I'm going to try a different champion.

That's basically what I did. Straight ranger forever, then finally started playing around.

Now its a mix of Ranger, Death Knight, Sorlag, Anarki, BJ and Visor.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just tried Death Knight tonight and holy hell! I won team death match with highest kills first shot. His ability got me my first triple kill early game. It was unbelievable. I love the character too cause it's Quake 1 like the Ranger.

I love this game.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Housh posted:

I just tried Death Knight tonight and holy hell! I won team death match with highest kills first shot. His ability got me my first triple kill early game. It was unbelievable. I love the character too cause it's Quake 1 like the Ranger.

I love this game.

Watch your KDR with him though. You can blow your rear end up with that as well. He's also getting nerfed next patch.

EDIT- also if your ELO rises and you run him people will swap to Nyx/Clutch which effectively hard counters your ability.

DOUBLE EDIT!- Also I think my ELO rose recently. A few days ago I was where people would straight quit the match if they saw a Death Knight, now I see Clutch and Nyx instant switches if they do.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 23, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

is there a casual ELO because i don't remember ever being this good at Quake

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Thief posted:

There is. There was an Elo reset last month for casual and ranked play.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Housh posted:

I love this game.

Hell yeah just don't get too attached to his ability since they will most likely be nerfing it. I really want his epic skin but I don't want to open stuff until at least another character is released.

About ELO, I'm pretty sure it's why my queue times are so long and they just end up being the same handful of people. It sucks but I don't know what I would suggest to improve it.

Oh and hearing this stuff about Nyx is cool but that 50 less armor is really noticeable. I'm just swiss cheese whenever I play Nyx and it sucks because she used to be my favorite.

Social Animal fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 23, 2018

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Thief posted:

There is a hidden casual ELO and an open ranked ELO.

YMMV on matches though. A lot of the better players are only in ranked, PUGs, or custom matches most of the time. And I've found player quality in casual varies wildly depending on time of day.

Social Animal posted:

Hell yeah just don't get too attached to his ability since they will most likely be nerfing it. I really want his epic skin but I don't want to open stuff until at least another character is released.

About ELO, I'm pretty sure it's why my queue times are so long and they just end up being the same handful of people. It sucks but I don't know what I would suggest to improve it.

Oh and hearing this stuff about Nyx is cool but that 50 less armor is really noticeable. I'm just swiss cheese whenever I play Nyx and it sucks because she used to be my favorite.

The trend so far has been that every new character comes out and dominates for a bit and then is brought back into line. Then a new characters comes out.

I feel the same way about slash as you do about Nyx.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 23, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
On the one hand, being slightly over-tuned to begin with, and then pulling it back in line with everything else once people have had enough of a taste to see if they like it, can be a decent way to get people to actually play new characters instead of just ignoring them and sticking with their favourites.

On the other hand, making new champs too powerful could risk making things feel like too much of a treadmill for people who don't have the champions pack.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hidden casual elo makes sense since I was completely destroying every match I was in and now the games are much much closer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i think a lot of games that have a ranked mode do this

which is amusing because more often than not the main thing gained from casual modes is being able to quit and get into another game faster or play with friends when there is a huge gap in skill between party members