Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

alright which one of you is selling aliexpress specials to idiots on indiegogo?

Amish Ninja posted:

Found an IndieGoGo site with a budget android tablet that seems like it could be a good deal, but might also be too good to be true/not as good as it seems. It's called the AllDocubeX and the entry cost is $219. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Seems like it could be good if their delivery is on point. On the other hand, buying from a well-known and respected brand would probably make more sense and involve less risk.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/alldocube-x-tablet-for-high-quality-entertainment#/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
the alldocube x is an x cube that do all

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

waiting for godot 3q 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i stayed at a hotel recently and the suggested method for ordering your morning coffee is to use an alexa device on the table in the room. when you asked it questions it kept defaulting to trying to list products from amazon but then would say something like "store not enabled in this mode". it also didn't want to answer my questions about jeff bezos

the tv in the room was an android tv. it had regular tv but also some weird smart apps. the weather app used the weather icons that google gave me when i did one of their free android programming tutorials. there was a netflix app, where when you opened it, it asked for your login and password. there was a video on demand app that crashed at random spots before i could ever get to a payment screen. it had a youtube app that mostly streamed in like 360p

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

After spending half a day trying to cj my dad's phone it turns out that the thing causing randoms pop ups and crap is apparently some pre-installed tv control app that decided to branch into adware last year. Thanks Samsung!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

alright which one of you is selling aliexpress specials to idiots on indiegogo?

im the

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

After spending half a day trying to cj my dad's phone it turns out that the thing causing randoms pop ups and crap is apparently some pre-installed tv control app that decided to branch into adware last year. Thanks Samsung!

this was an excellent scam. make an innocuous app that uses the smart tv apis to do basic remote control functions. have sarnsung bundle your app as a value add. pivot to malware tier ads. profit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i stayed at a hotel recently and the suggested method for ordering your morning coffee is to use an alexa device on the table in the room. when you asked it questions it kept defaulting to trying to list products from amazon but then would say something like "store not enabled in this mode". it also didn't want to answer my questions about jeff bezos

the tv in the room was an android tv. it had regular tv but also some weird smart apps. the weather app used the weather icons that google gave me when i did one of their free android programming tutorials. there was a netflix app, where when you opened it, it asked for your login and password. there was a video on demand app that crashed at random spots before i could ever get to a payment screen. it had a youtube app that mostly streamed in like 360p

Why is it weird they asked for your Netflix login? That's normal. Generally it automatically signs you out when you check out.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

infernal machines posted:

this was an excellent scam. make an innocuous app that uses the smart tv apis to do basic remote control functions. have sarnsung bundle your app as a value add. pivot to malware tier ads. profit

It also can't be uninstalled, only disabled.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It also can't be uninstalled, only disabled.

lol wow what a piece of poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a captive install base in the hundreds of millions for the highest value ads around.

at least someone is making money off android

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

quote:

Well, to tell the truth, Peel Remote has been scrutinized for more than a year because of the company desperate measure to gain revenue. In 2017, the app introduced a malign ad practice of unethical lock screen ads and overlays.

The application started placing ads over lock screen without any consent. As a result, people got frustrated because they always saw an ad whenever they unlocked their phone. Shockingly, the app doesn’t provide any option to turn it off.

The nagging update made users even more furious when the app decided not to leave their phones. Smartphones, which come pre-installed with peel remote app, don’t let users remove this bloatware manually. The only option available is to disable it, but somehow the app manages to resurface.

quote:

Peel Remote might be infamous for cheap tricks of holding users but it doesn’t change the fact that the app does a great job at providing a Universal Smart Remote amid the stress of finding physical remotes all over the house. So, the final choice is yours.

Jesus Christ, loving tech reporters.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bonzi buddy might be infamous for cheap tricks of holding users but it doesn’t change the fact that the app does a great job at providing a search and joke telling service amid the stress of finding search and joke telling services all over the internet. So, the final choice is yours.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pros - it's free and convenient

Cons - It randomly pops up full screen advertisiments for malware and takes over the lock screen

8/10

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
add it to the $200+ phone that doesn’t work but is still a good deal.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

Why is it weird they asked for your Netflix login? That's normal. Generally it automatically signs you out when you check out.

it was clearly a half-baked device over all. i am not putting any credentials into something like that

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/zedomax/status/1032121797230002176

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I make best #Android root tutorials in the world. Always #HighOnAndroid. Also #HighOnCameras #HighOnCoins IG: ReallyHighonandroid

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hmm wonder what phone that xiaomi always slavishly copies got a notch and no 30-icon wide notification dump at the top of the screen about a year ago

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

weird twitter churning out bad loss edits

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jonathan posted:

Hardly. Ive been using "stock" Android since 2010 and I've enjoyed it. I really don't enjoy Samsung's version, so I took 5 minutes to copy/paste a script to remove the bloat. And now I'm 80% happy. This isn't sperging, it's making an $1100 phone work how I want it to. Sorry if that insults your lifestyle or something.

"i'm 80% happy with my $1100 phone"

also, guy who doesn't understand economics:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just dislike the fact that it's pretty clear all the phone makers are in collusion with each other. There's no healthy competition, just tribal competition - they pretty much price their phones the same.

That being said, DRAM and NAND is finally going down in price, and that was a *large* reason for the explosion in pricing, so if the main manufacturers continue to gouge the everloving hellfuck out of their phones, they're going to eventually have to explain why, since someone always does a "cost of components" tabulation.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i guess some people just have the urge to phone janitor and it makes them happy. i am not one of those people.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

also, guy who doesn't understand economics:
nerds + economics = hilarity, every time

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

never really thought about it before but do right to left language regions show a battery icon that also drains right to left?

:2bong:

im dumb as poo poo. god bless

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bulgakov posted:

never really thought about it before but do right to left language regions show a battery icon that also drains right to left?

that's actually a good question

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

buenos notches

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
The notch is egregious and the gesture area taking up exactly the same amount of space while reducing functionality is indefensible

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bulgakov posted:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that's actually a good question

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

do arabic keyboards swap everything around? like toilets in Australia (because you see, like toilets, keyboards are used to post)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

notches are so bad f u jonny ives

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

akadajet posted:

notches are so bad f u jonny ives

it works great for the Apple iPhone X, the only phone that matters

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

iphonex looks like dogshit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Themage posted:

it works great for the Apple iPhone X, the only phone that matters

literally everything in this post is wrong

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

literally everything in this post is wrong

ur so wrong

:nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
About to update my pixel to pies, if I don't post again my phone exploded and killed me

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
u don't have to report back

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

nice edit, good posting :bravo:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

saved it for u

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Oh God the notification shade is so ugly and they moved the clock to the other side of the bar to accommodate a notch my phone does not have. loving christ Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i opened the settings menu and the phone shut off and won't come back on. trying to launch rescue mode makes a little buzz but the screen never comes on.

guess i'm buying that iphone now instead of when new ones roll out, lmao