Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I really am sick of unrequited love creeper joke plots so Alfo has soured me on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The show is about the dark ages largely, so there's a lot of jokes about how those were kind of poo poo including dead pet/kid jokes and the characters are largely insensitive to the suffering going on around them because they are part of life. Which sometimes clashes with the anachronism humor.
Basically I don't think anyone is supposed to like the characters, not even Bean. I don't know, I thought it was funny but not life-changing, but I like the joke delivery mostly and a lot of people have watched more futurama and simpsons than I have.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Elfo's writing is weirdly imbalanced. The way he speaks and acts as a character change massively between his intro and how I'm assuming he acts for the rest of the show. (I'm on episode 3.) It's not even a character arc, he literally steps through a door and goes from disillusioned and introspective to shallow and overly-accepting. It really hit home when his reaction to the word "naughty" went from "Don't say that; I'm not doing anything wrong." to "Heehee, we're naughty." It might've been fun to have him rebel against things that remind him of home, but the way it played out I feel like I watched the set-up for a character who isn't in the show.

And's a nitpick, but every time they bought up the elf/Smurf naming convention, it bugged me that his name is Elfo. And they did it like, 8-10 times.

I actually kinda like it, regardless of the above. The writing can be funny and surprising, the VAs are great, the backgrounds are lovely and Luci sleeps like a cat. :3:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Das Boo posted:

And's a nitpick, but every time they bought up the elf/Smurf naming convention, it bugged me that his name is Elfo. And they did it like, 8-10 times.

I figured it's intentional since he's actually a half-elf. It's low-hanging fruit but I laughed at Shocko both times.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I figured it's intentional since he's actually a half-elf. It's low-hanging fruit but I laughed at Shocko both times.

Oh no your laughter was plebian! It's important to only laugh at specific things. you enjoyed yourself the wrong way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Did I miss that? Or does it come up later? Either way, I stand corrected!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Das Boo posted:

Did I miss that? Or does it come up later? Either way, I stand corrected!

Ugh, I feel bad now, I missed that you're only on episode 3. Yeah, it comes up later.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ugh, I feel bad now, I missed that you're only on episode 3. Yeah, it comes up later.

Seriously, no big! It's a cute show but I'm not so invested that spoilers will ruin anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

In the end, I wound up learning about a Zootopia shirt I hadn't seen before and picked it up last night. The clerk says the chain's looking into more Zoo-themed for adults going forward, but I don't know how much a clerk at a random Disney Store actually knows about the matter.

Kind of a missed opportunity not making that shirt a button-up short sleeve as opposed to just a T-shirt, but I suppose that might cost a fair bit more than the fare you'd sell at The Disney Store, so.

I really want this but shipping to Canada is literally as much as the product itself so

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I heard nightmare stories about trying to ship to Canada or getting things to it, it shouldn't be so loving crazy to deliver things to our northern neighbors.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I heard nightmare stories about trying to ship to Canada or getting things to it, it shouldn't be so loving crazy to deliver things to our northern neighbors.

It's that international mail from developing nations is subsidized by mail from developed nations. Make up the difference by exploiting Aliexpress I guess.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Robindaybird posted:

Canada? Psssssh. Try Quebec. They just plain won’t sell things here or ship them directly because of our stupid language laws. I’ve had to have things shipped to Ottawa and drive two hours both ways just to get it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's hard out there for a Canadian furry.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm watching Disenchanted, it's not the greatest thing in the world, and doesn't grab me as quick out of the gate that Futurama did. Maybe it's because we had a relate-able every-man in Fry?

Futurama's first season wasn't exactly the strongest plot-wise either, but it was saved with good gags, bizarre concepts and great characters.

Hell is Other Robots is where they mostly turned it around.

In Disenchanted, some of the jokes just don't feel so fresh. All the elves just feel like Santa's Neptunian elves re-hashed. It's just not clicking quite yet. I'll watch the rest of the seaon, and probably give the second one a shot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's clearly doing something different in that it's a big arc, it gets better as it goes also.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I do feel like by the 3rd episode (which is as far as I've gotten), it's starting to pull of that early Simpsons/Futurama quality of intelligent silliness. Maybe not as much, but that groove is starting to develop. Plus, from what else I've heard that it's trajectory goes up the further it gets along.

To contextualize it, you would never say that the first Season of the Simpsons was the show people fell in love with. The elements are there, but early on they feel like they're filtered through a slower, mundane lense. Futurama was lucky to hit that stride early on, but both the first and second episodes both feel off compared to the show we're all familiar with. I just lay hope that this show is somewhere between those extremes of 'Took a season and a half to get it' and 'Three episodes, pretty much'.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Disenchanted was fine, but hopefully it takes a few steps forward in terms of comedic sharpness and fleshing out the characters next season. Luci is especially lame, they're obviously going for a Bender-type character but the combination of anemic voice acting and one-note writing makes it fall flat. Abbi Jacobson does a better job as Bean and has a bit more VA experience, but also benefit from a more dynamic performance and more of a consistently-written and idiosyncratic character. Elfo is a good performance but his writing is all over the place.

Like, compare Luci to, say, the Robot Devil, who appeared in what, two episodes of Futurama? It's bizarre (and boring) how low-key Luci is.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watched the rest today. In that episode with the giant, why did Elfo not mention the real girlfriend he really had? Also, let's go down the list of Futurama/Disenchanted writers to see if we can figure out who the giant lady fetishist is.

And ha, I liked the ending.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was going to post this in the thread for Disenchanted, but I'll just do a quick one here. The show is inconsistent in some cases. It's not bad, and I felt myself want to watch the next episode through the weekend. But some episodes felt lesser quality than the others. I remember utterly hating an episode around 3. The comedic timing needs some work, and there seems to be some awkward editing (staying on a shot just a bit too long, interrupting the flow, etc).

I had more of a problem with Elfo than Luci, but overall liked the characters well enough. They feel like they haven't quite "found" the characters yet, and I doubt that's because of the 10 episodes being released at once. A TV series has a few episodes in the bag before they start to air, so I doubt if they aired this weekly they could have made any adjustments.

The later episodes seemed like they had the David X Cohen ability to plan out jokes and plot better. For a episode 9 spoiler, I thought it was clever to use the joke of the bridge to Elfland breaking to be a comedy of errors for Bean just getting into the village. It had the funny slapstick of breaking the bridge, hurting a guard, and then throwing him accidentally in the mud. But it was also there to be an excuse for Bean to unknowingly get a drop of elf blood she needed at the end of the episode without being obvious at all.

Other jokes in the show are hysterical. Such as the assassin's exit from the show, without going into too much detail. The overall plot isn't as heavy or well executed as something like Gravity Falls, but I don't know if they'll pick that up in the second half the season. I'm going to definitely bing it again when the second part goes online.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://twitter.com/ToThePowerOfBH6/status/1028327409072984064

so apparently Big Hero 6 swiped someone's Fan Art without permission or compensation for an episode

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Someone's fanart? Those are licensed characters, that's not a door I'd open frankly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's one of those Legally not much the artist can do, but it's kind of ethically 'Mmmm'. At least ask first, and maybe toss in a t-shirt.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd say ethically it's questionable. Shows like South Park have asked before they used fanart in episodes. However, honestly content owners tend to be pretty permissive about fanart and I probably wouldn't complain about it since it just gives content owners opportunity or leverage to take a harder line on it, especially people who capitalize on it at cons and etc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pick posted:

Someone's fanart? Those are licensed characters, that's not a door I'd open frankly.

That's a can that's been kicked down the road for decades, now. Sooner or later it's going to get ugly.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It'll be a cold day in hell before I hand over my erotic Wall-E fanart to those corporate bloodsuckers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://youtu.be/mj5IV23g-fE

Substitute artist for writer and never give Disney the benefit of anything.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Really, all intellectual property is theft.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The point of Big Hero 6 is to make Disney money. Generally, the agreement is that any effort that goes towards making that product deserves compensation. Certainly Disney could have created bespoke artwork and compensated whatever artist made it appropriately. But they chose not to so they wouldn't have to.

The artist certainly did not seek permission from Disney to make it. But they still payed in order for it to exist, be it resources or time or both. That artwork was used in a product whose purpose was to make money, and the artist was not compensated for that effort. Art is not free, and Disney certainly has the resources to pay for it. They had the option to go about the proper way of compensating that artist for their work, or going through another artist under their employ to make it. Instead, the artist paid to make that art and Disney is the one making money off of it. It doesn't matter that Disney owns the characters, the artist got scammed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's no obligation, legally or ethically, to pay for artwork which was not solicited, regardless of whether it would have been solicited if the consumer would have agreed to the artist's terms if communicated in advance. Even less so if the work is a derivative of your own work.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The view this situation no different than if it had been completed and solicited to Disney, except they decline it but use the artwork anyways. The only difference here is artist's agency has been completely removed. I don't view this as an IP issue, this is a workers right issue. A worker worked hard for it for no pay. A company with the resources to pay for it is profiting from not having to pay for it.

It's scummy when a blog aggregates people's work and without compensation or attribution. It's scummy that disney took someone's effort, and didn't compensate or attribute them.

Disney holds consumers under the obligation to pay for their product. It's only fair that Disney is held accountable to pay for whatever product they use to make that product.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Making fanart inherently potentially commercializable would destroy it as the fragile institution that it is, and also would result in truly horrific devaluation of its specialized market. That is not a situation where the artists win.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Just nationalize the Disney Corporation already, they're not doing anything interesting anyway

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm not even suggesting that the fan artist should have been paid. Honestly, I think Disney should have done the most morally defensible thing and have one of their employees make it. Or if they truly thought that specific artwork by that artist benefited their product, commission them for original artwork.

I am not decrying fan creations as an inalienable right. It has as much of a right to exist as much as IP law does (to clarify: the segmentation of creation rights is a stupid and dirty construction created to make rich people richer). But as long as we're forced to live in a capitalist society, then institutions such as Disney have an inherent responsibility to compensate their workers. In this case, the labor of an individual was used uncompensated nor consulted. I won't argue IP or whatever, but I will fight for someone to be paid for their work. In this situation, the actions of the corporation either deprived someone compensation for their work, or deprived someone else of the opportunity to earn pay off their work.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 22, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If a piece of fan art is in a commercial work then it's too late to wonder about if fan art should or should not be commercialized. We're clearly past that point.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Disney's about to rip Hitler a new one in copyright court if there's not a statute of limitations

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

K. Waste posted:

Just nationalize the Disney Corporation already, they're not doing anything interesting anyway

Trumpian episode 9: finally the SJWs will pay

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I'm not even suggesting that the fan artist should have been paid.

Hmm but they should've though

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The Overwatch shorts tend to be posted here and theres a new one featuring D.VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7j2d6YCQbg

It's not as good as the last one with Mei but still worth a look

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://tothepowerofbh6.tumblr.com/post/177128163716/power-of-6s-full-statement-regarding-apparent-fan

Here's more information on the fanart problem.

There was a problem just like this that came up with X-Men Destiny. A developer for Silicon Knights used a silhouette of someone's fan character in a trailer for it without the artist's consent. The artist (or someone, I can't remember) made a post about it on Activision/Marvel's Hero HQ forums where I was a mod while working for Activision. This caused a really quick scramble to hurry and talk to the artist and see what could be done.

I spoke to the head admin and was told that this is all basically a slippery slope. While it's still fan art (and in Activision's case, it was an actual fan character who happened to be a mutant using Marvel's terminology), it's still a copyright nightmare for the company accused of doing it and it's better for them to just make their own stuff instead of using someone else's. This is also one of the reasons why most companies don't take requests or anything like that. I believe Activision ended up changing the trailer (and apparently made all news of it go away because I can't find it anywhere...granted I'm not looking hard enough and it's 8am and I'm trying to make breakfast) but I'm not sure what they did to compensate the artist.

All in all, this is all on Disney, fan art or not. Even the original artist just wishes they would've asked and she would've been happy to just say yes. She doesn't even seem to want compensation. If this gets any bigger online, this probably won't go away and they'll have to respond.

However, with the Gunn bullshit, people are already hating on Disney right now anyway so who knows how this will turn out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the simplest answer is that one of the grunts working on backgrounds put the fanart in, possibly as a placeholder but also possibly just straight up stealing artwork to cut down on their own work, and their supervisor approved it without knowing it was stolen or being told it was drawn by somebody outside of the team working on the show cause why would he ever assume otherwise?

fast forward four to six months later and welp

the best outcome at this point is if people kick up enough of a stink that the story makes headlines, at which point Disney will either have to pay the artist for their work or recut/redo the episode