Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oh, always thought it did. It probably applies to hunting rifles though.

Mmm I'm not too sure about that, but I'd love to know. I think it behaves the same as a scoped though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

el B posted:

Mmm I'm not too sure about that, but I'd love to know. I think it behaves the same as a scoped though

Hunting rifles used to have strong auto-aim but people complained it made leading shots harder so they removed/weakened it. I still find a tiny bit of magnetism / slowdown when I'm scoping and brush past someone, but it's not very strong at all. I might just be feeling the slight autoaim from hip aiming as I zoom in. You could test in playground if you have a buddy willing to hop in.

Play the sniper mode a bunch (don't rush and noscope frog battle people) and you'll get the hang of sniping faster. It really is limited time only, so it's a good idea to get your practice in while you can.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Oh I love sniping. I've been starting to prefer marksman rifles simply for the reload speed. And I've been getting a lot better with them, but maybe it IS due to their assist.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

A Man and his Hog posted:

I’ll never get a sniper kill. I’ve accepted this.

Seconding the 50v50 recommendation.

Last night I had the single sniper elimination daily, and in my first game I got a bush and a hunting rifle right away. I decided that it was a message from the RNG gods and took a shot. Lots of shots. Lots and lots of shots, one of which was eventually a kill.

Don't give up.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

el B posted:

Oh I love sniping. I've been starting to prefer marksman rifles simply for the reload speed. And I've been getting a lot better with them, but maybe it IS due to their assist.

Ah yeah I meant to direct the second advice to the 0 sniper kill crowd. I agree about the hunting rifle preference. It works well with the "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" mantra. Also the less-jarring scope-in animation makes it so much easier to peek out of cover for a quick shot when you can't line up your aim through a crack in the wall.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

teehee i’ve just discovered the thrill of deliberately landing into enemy territory in 50v50 and ambushing for kills

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats basically what I did right from the start. People dont expect you. Someone said pages back that they literally danced amongst a bunch of enemies and they just thought they were friendly, their grave final mistake

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Lube Enthusiast posted:

teehee i’ve just discovered the thrill of deliberately landing into enemy territory in 50v50 and ambushing for kills

There is nothing that gives me greater pleasure than sneaking into an enemy-side Tilted drop. Especially so if you can steal the gun out of someone else's chest, then start a rampage. Yea you die quick usually, but you can take 3+ people with you on the regular.
Some areas you can wipe out alone - shifty shafts for example is really easy to dominate. Lots of slippery sneaky angles to lead and ambush overconfident enemies.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Just want to share a funny death. Dropped into tilted and landed on the clock tower with someone else. We battled it out and I killed him in a pick axe fight. Someone dropped on the apartment next door and took shots at me but I was able to hide and use bandages from the chest in the clock tower. I'm not sure exactly what someone used but when I busted the floor out someone had basically destroyed the whole tower underneath me so I fell to my death.

I really wish I could let that guy know I respected his move and laughed for a solid minute.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Anyone want to play this afternoon? Xbox Goon.

Be on around 5-6

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have some farting around to do with the misses but I'll be on later today at some point, same name on xbox.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Just want to share a funny death. Dropped into tilted and landed on the clock tower with someone else. We battled it out and I killed him in a pick axe fight. Someone dropped on the apartment next door and took shots at me but I was able to hide and use bandages from the chest in the clock tower. I'm not sure exactly what someone used but when I busted the floor out someone had basically destroyed the whole tower underneath me so I fell to my death.

I really wish I could let that guy know I respected his move and laughed for a solid minute.
I landed in Junk Junction and ran inside the main building just as someone came over the roof. I knew he saw me so I ran like hell to a golf cart and took off. They saw me and I barely escaped with 4 health and their final shot blew the cart up. Luckily I was close enough to an Easter Island* head that I could take a rift. So I did. I then dove back, over and over, and used all the rifts. On the last dive he shot and killed me. Then got lost in the storm because all the rifts and cart were gone. He'll never know I killed him on purpose.

A Man and his Hog posted:

I’ll never get a sniper kill. I’ve accepted this.
In 50vs50 just go at them sideways and keep your distance. You don't have to shoot people in the face and with two large opposing forces they're too busy running around each other and building to notice you far to the left. Hunker down and take a few shots that bounce harmlessly and frustratingly off their shield until one guy takes one shot that kills you instantly. That's what I do.
But really: look for the largest group of your team and stay a bit to the side your team dropped from and wait until the bulk of them hits a bulk of bad guys. Using a cart to get in position works great.

*has anyone checked on the real heads?

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

There is nothing that gives me greater pleasure than sneaking into an enemy-side Tilted drop. Especially so if you can steal the gun out of someone else's chest, then start a rampage. Yea you die quick usually, but you can take 3+ people with you on the regular.
Some areas you can wipe out alone - shifty shafts for example is really easy to dominate. Lots of slippery sneaky angles to lead and ambush overconfident enemies.

Dropping enemy towns is good for quick warmup fights and a handful of kills.

I found the positioning for smooth fights in 50s. Loot quickly and rush towards the circle, but don't enter it. Stay on the middle line dividing the teams, anywhere from 1-3 map squares away from the circle. The flow of enemies varies based on nearby hot spots and all that, but generally if you're there with 6 mins on the clock, you can get a slow but steady stream of 1-2 enemies coming in. Smooth fights without the lag in the circle, and lots of targets (conveniently carrying heals, mats and better guns for you). If it gets overwhelming, ramp up and fly out to your side a bit to heal then start picking fights again. If you want to snipe, offset your position towards your side and snipe the people running along the line. If you want to practice holding highground and taking on multiple enemies, set up right on the line.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Double postin for PATCH NOTES!

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v5-30

- Port-a-Rift Item
- New Score Royale LTM
- Risky Reels repaired, Limited time cinematic available
- Playground updates with more ATKs, Rifts
- Clingers only explode by timer!! (Huge change for competitive Fortnite)
- Traps are fixed

some other stuff, go read it.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

PvE TL;DR: New AR. That's it. Most bug fixes are either incredibly obscure or don't really affect gameplay.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

FYI if you enable 2FA (2 factor authorrization) you unlock the bogie down dance for free. You should have enabled aleady (cuz its a smart idea) and you'll get it when you log in.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I tried the game maybe a couple months back for like a half hour, and a few days later had a bunch of hacking attempts on my account. I didn't even have poo poo on it. Everyone should use 2FA on everything unless its a throw away account or has no money involved in it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Mongoose posted:

- New Score Royale LTM

I see they are experimenting with a score based system to open new avenues for electronics sports.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
So how do clingers on the same wall work now? Do the later ones just hang there or are they destroyed?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Clingers will now only explode when their fuse has expired.
Clingers will no longer explode if the object they are attached to is destroyed. They will be affected by gravity and fall until they stick to another object or their fuse expires.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Mongoose posted:

- New Score Royale LTM

This mode really rewards people who land in the farthest reaches and loot everything before they even see a person, especially since you can collect coins along the way. I hit 2000 points (and won with zero kills) with six people left because while everybody else was turtling waiting for the next circle, I ran around collecting coins.

I also only got like 900 XP for it, so I'll stick with grinding XP in solos (because I have nobody to squad up with).

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

interpunct posted:

This mode really rewards people who land in the farthest reaches and loot everything before they even see a person, especially since you can collect coins along the way. I hit 2000 points (and won with zero kills) with six people left because while everybody else was turtling waiting for the next circle, I ran around collecting coins.

I also only got like 900 XP for it, so I'll stick with grinding XP in solos (because I have nobody to squad up with).

How did you win with zero kills?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Always be sure to thank the bus driver

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

codo27 posted:

I tried the game maybe a couple months back for like a half hour, and a few days later had a bunch of hacking attempts on my account. I didn't even have poo poo on it. Everyone should use 2FA on everything unless its a throw away account or has no money involved in it

Even then you'll want 2FA on it. Most of the Fortnite account hackers are spiteful bastards. I've seen hundreds of threads on Reddit with people losing tons of items because they salvage them (PvE), even though it's bound to account so no "value" to destroy it either.

So it's not unlikely for them to use hacks in matches to get you perma banned. With a literal throwaway account that won't matter as much, although it wouldn't surprise me if Epic IP bans the hacker + yours.

Edit: and you can't fight a ban. As far as they are concerned they've never been wrong about a ban and don't appeal them ever.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
How long till the current season ends? It read that the reality fracture is repairing, but its creating a purple effect, so something can happen, maybe soon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Orange Sunshine posted:

How did you win with zero kills?

The LTM winner is whomever has the most points.

You can also win regular solo matches with 0 eliminations if the 2nd place person gets taken out by the storm or blows themselves up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seditiar posted:

Edit: and you can't fight a ban. As far as they are concerned they've never been wrong about a ban and don't appeal them ever.

Thats a lovely thing with games. You got so many worthless meatbags going around cheating and ruining it for someone else, and here you didn't do anything wrong and can lose access to something you paid for? There has to be a better precedent set for that kinda stuff. God drat it the game auto saves replays of your matches. Oughta be easy enough to spot who is in the wrong.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

How long till the current season ends? It read that the reality fracture is repairing, but its creating a purple effect, so something can happen, maybe soon.

32 days left, I'm counting on some surprises between now and then.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I noticed that the guided missile is showing up in 50v50 recently. I thought they just brought it back for the custom game mode with the jetpacks. I finally got one last night. I think I managed to get one good shot off with it. There's some godawful bug that causes the rocket to spawn in pointing some direction other than where you point the launcher. I nearly blew myself up 3 times because it would fly into a wall next to me when I boxed myself in. And then when I was standing in the open it decided to spawn in pointing straight down at the ground. Spent 3 medkits trying to survive my suicide attempts. After that I gave up on it and just used regular guns.
Looking forward to eventually finding one of the port-a-rifts one day. I'm guessing that the world rifts are going away soon since they introduced this item. Kinda like when the bounce pads came out and they took away the gravity crystals.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

codo27 posted:

Thats a lovely thing with games. You got so many worthless meatbags going around cheating and ruining it for someone else, and here you didn't do anything wrong and can lose access to something you paid for? There has to be a better precedent set for that kinda stuff. God drat it the game auto saves replays of your matches. Oughta be easy enough to spot who is in the wrong.

You'll obviously see a lot of people complain about a ban and leaving out some of the details. But I refuse to believe they've had 0 false flag bans, especially when it comes to anti-cheating software.

On the other end of the spectrum, they didn't ban anyone in PvE except if you exploited. The reporting system didn't even work for the first 12 months (there was one, but it wasn't monitored). People could yell the N word in (voice) chat 24/7 for a year straight and they'd not get banned. They could grief and fail your missions, or straight up AFK all match every match for a year straight, and not get banned. I'm not even kidding, even now that people start to get banned for it you'll still see people spamming it once they realize you're not going to give them handouts.

Anyway, hopefully they find a proper middle ground. Banning entire accounts for getting hacked and then cheated on is loving stupid. Especially back when 2FA wasn't a thing. But never banning anyone is also stupid. It's good that they're finally promoting 2FA other than a loading screen tip, even if it took them 6+ months.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 23, 2018

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ya know I didn't realize at first that you can find the downed bus on the map

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

codo27 posted:

Ya know I didn't realize at first that you can find the downed bus on the map

It's just A downed bus, not THE downed bus. You can drop right on it while he bus you just jumped out of is still flying

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's a pretty good place to land. Sometimes there are two chests.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The new mode is fun but the game now looks awful in handheld mode on the switch.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The new mode is fun but the game now looks awful in handheld mode on the switch.

Weird. I'm not a graphics guy at all but even I noticed that it does seem blurrier when aiming with a scope.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Tomato Temple! I'm not sure how objectively good it is, but I definitely landed there every game last night. Can't wait to earn my Jungle Tomato God costume style.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got sick of trying to fill into a good squad to get a Top 6 Squad finish challenge after my team ignored my waypoint and ran into combat with another team right by the shrinking edge of the storm. Two teammates died quickly and the other had gone to the other end of the map, so I just hid in Lucky Landing, where no one seemed to go, and waited until I was forced to move by the storm. Finished exactly sixth when I found what I thought was a target of opportunity was actually an intact team of four.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Anyone else see and here a the sky crack charging up and shooting a massive purple lighting bolt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nullsmack posted:

I noticed that the guided missile is showing up in 50v50 recently. I thought they just brought it back for the custom game mode with the jetpacks. I finally got one last night. I think I managed to get one good shot off with it. There's some godawful bug that causes the rocket to spawn in pointing some direction other than where you point the launcher. I nearly blew myself up 3 times because it would fly into a wall next to me when I boxed myself in. And then when I was standing in the open it decided to spawn in pointing straight down at the ground. Spent 3 medkits trying to survive my suicide attempts. After that I gave up on it and just used regular guns.
Looking forward to eventually finding one of the port-a-rifts one day. I'm guessing that the world rifts are going away soon since they introduced this item. Kinda like when the bounce pads came out and they took away the gravity crystals.

The guided missile also does crummy damage and is so slow and loud that it's even more easily blockable by walls then normal rockets already are. All on top of being buggy as gently caress and kind of a pain to maneuver. They said they wanted it to be more of a scouting tool but I have no idea how that's supposed to work outside of very specific squad scenarios.

First kill in the first game of the night dropped three loving porta-rifts.