Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress that company, you do not want to work there

:emptyquote: for truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
So I had a 3rd interview for a job last night and all was positive to the point where I was told there should be and offer made today. Get a phone call from recruitment at 16:30 today telling that there's now a hiring freeze in place but it should hopefully be lifted by the end of September and if I'm still available I'll be the first one called.

Am I just being fobbed off or is this a thing that happens?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Definitely a thing that happens in bad companies. Doesn't really matter though--either way, it's a big red flag that this is a dysfunctional organization you don't want to work for.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

fluppet posted:

This could be a red flag, but depending on how the company gets its funding (like a university for example) it *can* be a normal thing.

Either way, though it is possible you'll be called after September, it's unlikely. Keep applying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fluppet posted:

So I had a 3rd interview for a job last night and all was positive to the point where I was told there should be and offer made today. Get a phone call from recruitment at 16:30 today telling that there's now a hiring freeze in place but it should hopefully be lifted by the end of September and if I'm still available I'll be the first one called.

The freeze is probably true (every company I've ever worked for has had hiring freezes, especially for public companies but private too). Whether or not the job will be there in September is a total crapshoot. The freeze might be extended or budget may change.

I disagree this is a reason to avoid the company. Really good places to work have had hiring freezes, but you absolutely should keep looking. If your not a hiring manager you probably aren't aware that these happen. If the offer comes in you can always leave hypothetical new job.

If they just wanted to completely fob you off they could have ghosted you, so congrats on coming in first in a race with no prize yet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
To offer a counter view on freezes:

Sometimes they freeze because there's some uncertainty in the business and its really really lovely to hire people then turn around and lay them off*. So better to let the dust settle a bit.

*Conversely, lovely companies will do this sometimes - from incompetence or exploitation.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

Definitely a thing that happens in bad companies. Doesn't really matter though--either way, it's a big red flag that this is a dysfunctional organization you don't want to work for.
I've been through a couple hiring freezes where there was either a merger or the company was sold from one private financial group to another. In neither case was there any dysfunction.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Okay, but when it comes to going to work for a company fresh off a buyout or about to be bought out, better you than me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

Okay, but when it comes to going to work for a company fresh off a buyout or about to be bought out, better you than me.
Depends. In our case, we bought out a M&A company that was unprofitable because they cut too much. We wound up doubling indirect labor in the first year to support the newly acquired business.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress that company, you do not want to work there

Received a nice lovely email from the recruiter responding to my decline.

I travel for work and mentioned I'd like to be home more with my wife. I think they thought that could be a leverage point or something for lower pay.

In the response he said "if I ever value time with my wife over a paycheck, give them a call."

Between that email and the offer being magically lower than what we discussed... Yeah I don't want anything to do with their operation.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 20, 2018

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

In the response he said "if I ever value time with my wife over a paycheck, give them a call.”

Lol what a loving poo poo bird. You’re definitely better off avoiding that place like the plague.

Hey guys, shot in the dark, but does anyone here know how to get a corporate job within the evil empire of Disney? I’m seeing lots of cool job openings there, but I’m pretty sure I don’t stand a chance unless I happen to be Bob Iger’s long-lost illegitimate son.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How dumb are applicant tracking systems? I'm looking for a job these days and a friend asked me if my resume is ATS compliant (she used to be a recruiter, once upon a time), to which I responded "Everything is accurate, grammatically correct, laid out effectively and spelled correctly." But it got me thinking, do these systems just void anything they can't see/read? Is there some tool I can run my resume through (paid or free) to test it for ATS compliance? I'd expect to submit as a .pdf or a .docx, FWIW, so hopefully they can deal with the basic formatting options available there.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got a variation on the "what to wear" question.

I have an interview (one of those 3-hour bruisers where I'm scheduled to meet six people, yay) on Friday. When I was speaking with their internal recruiter, he mentioned "if you come in for an interview, wear whatever you like - chances are you'll be the best-dressed person there" and here I am at that point. The actual interview was scheduled by a dedicated HR coordinator person, different from the internal recruiter.

The company is post-startup, acquired a year or two ago by another company, but it's one of those "we're fun to work at!" places. Their careers page only has one photo of people in an actual office and it looks like it's normal collarless-shirt casual. My kind of place. I want to fit in. My normal protocol is "wear one step more formal than their actual dress code," so if it's business casual or I don't know the dress code, I wear a conservative suit/shirt/tie.

I emailed the internal recruiter thanking him for everything so far and confirming the in-person, then asking him:

quote:

You mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary to wear a suit, and while I want to make sure I come across as serious about the position and about my professionalism, I definitely want to make sure I come across as a cultural fit. Could I trouble you to confirm if that's the case so I can ensure I've got appropriate attire lined up?

His response:

quote:

Ultimately, it's up to you in regards to the suit, but slacks and a button-down shirt or polo would be okay. I definitely understand wanting to show the professionalism so if you want to wear a suit I say go for it.

Given that I'm currently working and heading directly to the interview (office + interview are both in Manhattan), I'd have to stash a suit somewhere out of sight. I have only one place I can think of, but my co-workers have keys to it as do other people in the company. I could easily hide dress slacks and a tie in my normal shoulder bag, wear a blue or other inconspicuous long-sleeve button-down with the sleeves rolled up while normally working, with the jeans I normally wear and dressier shoes. Then I'll make my way to the vicinity of the interview, change somewhere, and show up professional-looking.

Should I go with what he said should be OK and ditch the tie? I can definitely have a polo or button-down short-sleeve, since it's summer, and it'll be that much easier to show up in jeans and dressier shoes. If I have to stash the suit, worst-case scenario, I'll just rent a locker somewhere not too far from my office - I can bring the suit in a garment bag the day before and stash it the day in advance.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wear a suit, IMO.

Someone earlier in this thread came up with the clever idea of having the suit dry cleaned somewhere near your employer or prospective employer, so you can pick it up and put it on right before the interview.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Can you do a dress shirt, slacks and a blazer? maybe blazer plus tie? That's a pretty good "1 step higher" move for casual offices.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

Can you do a dress shirt, slacks and a blazer? maybe blazer plus tie? That's a pretty good "1 step higher" move for casual offices.

Maybe I just stink at business formal but I find it's easier to just go with a suit. Slacks and a blazer require the same care and the extra step of coordination.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wear a suit, IMO.

Someone earlier in this thread came up with the clever idea of having the suit dry cleaned somewhere near your employer or prospective employer, so you can pick it up and put it on right before the interview.

That was me initiating the part of the thread for that - if it wasn't with this short notice I'd go for it but I don't have a relationship with a dry cleaner near my office, and I'd rather not chance it.

Here's a thought: polo shirt, jeans, dressier shoes, sport coat? That way if the dry cleaner bungles the sport coat or it's not ready in time I can still look a little dressier if I tuck in the polo.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

With the initial message of "wear whatever you want!" and wanting to go one tier above pure casual, I would just wear a polo (tucked), khakis (with belt), and decent shoes and call it a day.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MJP posted:

The company is post-startup, acquired a year or two ago by another company, but it's one of those "we're fun to work at!" places. Their careers page only has one photo of people in an actual office and it looks like it's normal collarless-shirt casual.
My office is the exact definition of this and you’d get laughed out the room for wearing a suit or anything else too stuffy. A candidate did this last week and while it wasn’t a problem in the interview, all of us casually brought it up after as a sign of the person failing to do enough research about the company. Smart casual is the way to go.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm reading the email's intent as true in this case. I've only been told "don't bother wearing a suit, we want to see you as you are" once in my career for an interview. It went well enough; they initially took a pass on me, but I was able to convince the recruiter to let me address their concerns in a second round, and I got the job then.

Smuggled-in business-casual it is. Wish me luck, goons, I've been trying to :yotj: since June when I should have been doing it since last June.

Vegetable posted:

My office is the exact definition of this and you’d get laughed out the room for wearing a suit or anything else too stuffy. A candidate did this last week and while it wasn’t a problem in the interview, all of us casually brought it up after as a sign of the person failing to do enough research about the company. Smart casual is the way to go.

You don't perchance work at a company in lower Manhattan that was acquired a bit ago by another company in not-San Francisco, Cali, were you?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Yeah suit discrimination does happen. I don't think I've seen it tank someone on it's own but sometimes it comes up in "culture" chats. Especially for the 35 and over set.

I disagree with that bullshit and fight it when I'm in the room but you're smart to follow their guidance.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah suit discrimination does happen. I don't think I've seen it tank someone on it's own but sometimes it comes up in "culture" chats. Especially for the 35 and over set.

I disagree with that bullshit and fight it when I'm in the room but you're smart to follow their guidance.

Yeah, like just because you wear a suit to an interview, which society has trained us to do for decades, that suddenly means you can’t cut loose and also be the kind of guy who wears flip flops to work? If an office discriminates on someone for “over dressing” in a suit, they can go gently caress themselves.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Gin_Rummy posted:

Yeah, like just because you wear a suit to an interview, which society has trained us to do for decades, that suddenly means you can’t cut loose and also be the kind of guy who wears flip flops to work? If an office discriminates on someone for “over dressing” in a suit, they can go gently caress themselves.

Preach! I interviewed in a suit for a casual software shop and got the job. I turned up on my start date in Chuck's with a strip cut in my hair.

But you know why ice skate up hill.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Switching topics for a moment, I'm scheduled for a phone screen for an IT infrastructure position with Big Bank X. They had another position open up, which deals with a different subset of IT infrastructure, but I'd love to be considered for that role as well. I have been in touch with an internal recruiter for the first position. The second position is attached to a different internal recruiter on Linkedin.

Would it be wrong of me to ask that internal recruiter if I could be considered for the other role through him vs. going through with the other internal recruiter? Or would it be a Very Bad Idea to even ask about it? I'd happily be all like "if we need to exhaust my candidacy for Position A before being considered for Position B, that's fair" but if there's some process to being considered probably by the same manager for the two roles (one's Active Directory engineering, the other's Windows Server engineering, so it's extremely likely the same internal IT group is hiring for both) I'd follow it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Bring it up with the internal recruiter you are talking to. It's not a bad thing. That person might not be assed to actually do anything, but if they do it's your best bet.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Been interviewing with quite a few places lately... out of them all, I think Company A is the best fit for me. They said they “probably won’t have a decision for at least a couple of weeks.” Well, as of yesterday, it has been a couple of weeks. Is today a good time to ping them and see if any progress has been made? I have a competing offer that is currently being drawn up by Company B, and I can’t imagine they’d want to wait too long for me to make a decision, but that decision is definitely hinging on Company A.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gin_Rummy posted:

Been interviewing with quite a few places lately... out of them all, I think Company A is the best fit for me. They said they “probably won’t have a decision for at least a couple of weeks.” Well, as of yesterday, it has been a couple of weeks. Is today a good time to ping them and see if any progress has been made? I have a competing offer that is currently being drawn up by Company B, and I can’t imagine they’d want to wait too long for me to make a decision, but that decision is definitely hinging on Company A.

I've been in this situation before. If you have contact info for someone at Company A - the hiring manager would be best but HR is fine - I'd just do a "Hi Jane, I wanted to touch base to see if there was a decision yet. I'm definitely interested in Company A, so let me know if I can answer any questions or concerns" or something like that. I wouldn't mention the competing offer, unless you're in an industry where your position is in high demand. It could put them off more so than spur them into action.

If Company B already drafted up an offer letter, then I'd change the tone a little: "I wanted to touch base to see if there was a decision yet. While I have an offer from another company, I'd really like to get an idea of where Company A feels about me so I can make an informed decision."

If Company A really liked you and wanted you to work for them then that would spur them on. If there's any doubt or internal delays that are preventing them from actually making a yes/no call, they'd come back with "we don't want to stand in the way of an offer" and wish you well. However, if you really do like A better than B, then wait until the last moment for B's offer letter to be in hand and make the more gentle prod on A. Ask B if you can think it over for a day or two. Any reasonable employer will let this happen. If they insist on a target date and there's no good reason to let you think about it - e.g. a project or deliverable that's hinging on your talent alone to make it work - then they might be just a bunch of jerks and you're better off waiting on A.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Two phone interviews on Wednesday with different firms. I need a new job even if it pays a bit less than I make currently.

Can’t wait for the interview.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Last week I had a recruiter reach out to me about an IT position last week, and made it to the phone screen where the hiring manager asked if I would be comfortable leaving a place I've been at for six years for a 3-4 month contract.

My impression is that this was a longer term contract, so I was upfront with him and said that I wasn't aware of that and that I wouldn't be interested in something short term.

Cue the recruiter calling me again this morning saying that she was calling the guy back and that it'd probably be for longer. I haven't spoken with her yet, but I am very interested in the position overall, as it'd be a great jump in pay for me, and a good chance to work on some new projects which I feel would make me more marketable.

Is that a good idea to leave a job with benefits, pto, etc for a short term contract position in the hopes it might lead to something better? I'm pretty young and I've been at my current job for about six years, but it's a small shop and I'd love the opportunity to gain experience at a larger company.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

She's lying to you because literally all recruiters are lying loving scum.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
^^^^

Third party recruiters are the scum of the earth and you shouldn’t trust a word they say.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Prospective Employer already tipped their hand that they only need someone for 3 months. Regardless of what they now tell the recruiter or what the recruiter tells you, the project will wrap in 3-6 months (depending how far behind it goes) and they'll kick you to the curb, very likely.

Classic case where the manager in charge of the project told HR they need someone for 3 months, HR passed it along to the recruiter, and the recruiter left out the 3 months part so people will return her calls.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is that a good idea to leave a job with benefits, pto, etc for a short term contract position in the hopes it might lead to something better? I'm pretty young and I've been at my current job for about six years, but it's a small shop and I'd love the opportunity to gain experience at a larger company.

Covered by people saying "Don't trust the recruiter", but putting that aside, switching jobs in your position for a year or so is probably the best way to expand your skillset and your income. Contract jobs can be really good deals for some people (especially in the software industry) and right now the market is such that contractors can get really lucrative jobs.

I would talk to the recruiter about what the contract entails, but given that you would need to move I'd probably tell you the risk is substantial. If it were a situation where you'd make enough money that you'd come out ahead even if you were unemployed for a while then I'd say do it, but unless you want to move anyway its pretty risky.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
So I have an interview in a few days time, with a very large company as a modelling analyst. I was at a professional event and did my usual thing and one of the other people there was interested, asked for my CV, I later sent it and later that day got invited to interview. The day after the event. Which as far as I can tell is the perfect way to get an interview, there was cheese and wine.

This wasn't an advertised position. As such, no description of kpis or any of that. Basically the only thing I know is the names of the two people who will be on the panel interviewing, both technical people, one of them was the guy who I met at the event. There could also be an HR person as well, I don't know. Obviously did my linkedin stalking but only 1 of them is on linkedin, the guy I had already met.

Which is making it a particularly difficult interview to prepare for. I am preparing the usual behavioral interview stuff, I detest it so much and am not particularly good at it but doing my best to prepare for it. Unsurprisingly I am much more biased towards talking to the technical aspects of the position, their models and why my experience and skills are well suited to their technical needs.

Basically an open invitation for any helpful comments please.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BattleMoose posted:

Basically an open invitation for any helpful comments please.

Try to stay cool - it sounds like they like your resume for their KSAOs for the position. What might be a useful exercise is to imagine the KSAOs YOU would want to hire for in a modelling analyst and try to think ahead about how your experience and resume would fit that hypothetical list of requirements.

Granted you don't have a crystal ball but you might not need one. Make sure culture fit is on your list and emphasize the ways in which you're collaborative and cooperative.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Try to stay cool - it sounds like they like your resume for their KSAOs for the position. What might be a useful exercise is to imagine the KSAOs YOU would want to hire for in a modelling analyst and try to think ahead about how your experience and resume would fit that hypothetical list of requirements.

Granted you don't have a crystal ball but you might not need one. Make sure culture fit is on your list and emphasize the ways in which you're collaborative and cooperative.

This is great advice. If they don't have a position listed yet THEY probably don't know yet what they want, but they know you are pretty close. Be personable, probably prep for a bit more informal of an interview given the situation, and have some specific questions for them in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn the interview around a little bit as ask you to ask them questions.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Lockback posted:

Covered by people saying "Don't trust the recruiter", but putting that aside, switching jobs in your position for a year or so is probably the best way to expand your skillset and your income. Contract jobs can be really good deals for some people (especially in the software industry) and right now the market is such that contractors can get really lucrative jobs.

I would talk to the recruiter about what the contract entails, but given that you would need to move I'd probably tell you the risk is substantial. If it were a situation where you'd make enough money that you'd come out ahead even if you were unemployed for a while then I'd say do it, but unless you want to move anyway its pretty risky.

Thank you guys so much for the advice, that's exactly what I needed to hear! I'll stick to no and keep an eye out for something that's in the range of a year plus.

I just know it's time for me to move on since I'm not really building new skills or learning where I am now, but I'm thankfully not in a position where I have to move immediately.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

try to think ahead about how your experience and resume would fit that hypothetical list of requirements.

Make sure culture fit is on your list and emphasize the ways in which you're collaborative and cooperative.

Lockback posted:

have some specific questions for them in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn the interview around a little bit as ask you to ask them questions.

Thanks for these suggestions, will definitely prioritize these. Got today to prepare, interview is tomorrow.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
So a dude I didn't know on LI sent me a connection last week or so and is now offering to help me get a job purely on my last name. It's a rare last name and I am looking, but I didn't know this was a thing. The account looks completely legit and everything.

This isn't a scam right? I couldn't stop laughing at that was why he added me.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 29, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BattleMoose posted:

Thanks for these suggestions, will definitely prioritize these. Got today to prepare, interview is tomorrow.

Even if you’ve already asked a question you can reuse it with another interviewer. It always weirds me out when candidates have no questions. Really? You have zero questions? That either means you aren’t being honest with me or you’re an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I went for a few interviews where I genuinely felt that I hadn’t any questions to ask — as you can guess, no offers were made.

If you’re interviewing with a hiring manager, you gotta ask questions. It’s just a ritual you gotta go through.

You could probably get away not asking a low-level recruiter anything though.