Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s also useful if you want a laugh, as the people who fill that thing out are nuts.

Oh man, this reminds me. I gotta see if CAPalert is still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yessssssss I totally trolled the capalert guy back in 1999 or so when I was in high school out of boredom.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Marked For Death with Steven Seagal, and it's really fun. The main villain, Screwface, is a blast. I'm a sucker for anytime the bad guys--in this case a Jamaican drug cartel--uses voodoo and black magic to stop the hero. Probably my favorite Seagal flick.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yessssssss I totally trolled the capalert guy back in 1999 or so when I was in high school out of boredom.

This dude may very well have gotten two separate emails from us on the same day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember getting a very earnest and polite reply from him. Killed all the joy. I wonder how much abuse he got for his silly site over the years.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Since I learned about it from this very site back in the pre-pay registration days... I'm assuming a lot.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finally got a chance to watch Upgrade and boy was it a) a lot of fun and b) completely not what was I expecting.

A lot more future sci-fi stuff than expected, not that I mind. It had a kind of Deus Ex: Human Revolution feel in the setting.

The ending also wasn't what I thought was going to happen, but good on them for doing it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrBling posted:

Finally got a chance to watch Upgrade and boy was it a) a lot of fun and b) completely not what was I expecting.

A lot more future sci-fi stuff than expected, not that I mind. It had a kind of Deus Ex: Human Revolution feel in the setting.

The ending also wasn't what I thought was going to happen, but good on them for doing it.
Saw it last night too, was about to post pretty much the same comments down to the Deus Ex thing. I loved the ending it was a dream fakeout, definitely got me worried fora second. Pretty amazing how well it's made considering the budget too.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Marked For Death with Steven Seagal, and it's really fun. The main villain, Screwface, is a blast. I'm a sucker for anytime the bad guys--in this case a Jamaican drug cartel--uses voodoo and black magic to stop the hero. Probably my favorite Seagal flick.

My favorite Direct to Video Seagal flick is Belly of the Beast. It's so loving stupid and over the top, it's an absolute blast. He has to go to Thailand to rescue his daughter yada yada, he teams up with an old buddy of his who turned into a Buddhist monk after accidentally murdering a woman during a shootout years earlier. Out of nowhere the villain hires an evil priest (???) to subdue Steven but then his friends from a nearby Buddhist monastery do a...prayer....spirit bomb??? To protect him. It's beautiful.

Here, watch this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaNGJdyt2Ds

This movie is what would happen if Big Trouble In Little China wasn't comedy/satire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember seeing part of that one run on late night television. Isn't it the one where the final boss turns out to be a white guy in a billowy shirt who he beats in a fencing contest (the guy has a rapier and Seagal has a katana)?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember seeing part of that one run on late night television. Isn't it the one where the final boss turns out to be a white guy in a billowy shirt who he beats in a fencing contest (the guy has a rapier and Seagal has a katana)?

That's a different but also terrible flick Out of Reach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_-MXLG_i-c

I like Belly of the Beast better because it has more laughs per minute. But man, check out that final pose on Seagal in this one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Franchescanado posted:

Although he has a producer credit on it, it was made before he started getting virtually complete control over all his movies, so the fight scenes are good because he isn't untouchable.

As an amateur Seagalogist, as I recall, Fire Down Below is his last film where there are at least a few minutes of fight scenes worth watching. I'm not sure when his health declined so much that he couldn't even do a few aikido moves any more.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 22, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Fire Down Below is also great.

"I cracked my wood, that's no good." *whack*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Seagal practices a weird kind of Hollywood woke liberalism wherein he thinks he's making a socially conscious movie by depicting benevolent racist stereotypes alongside malevolent racist stereotypes, with the "good ones" winning out. In Fire Down Below he does this with poor Appalachian whites.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The portrayal of Jamaicans in Marked For Death were certainly problematic. There's a few lines of dialogue where they say the criminals make up less than 1% of the Jamaican population and they talk about how nice Jamaicans are when they go to Jamaica, but they are only ever shown as black magic drug dealing murderers. Even the "good one" is an double agent that sides with the good guys.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, On Deadly Ground depicts poor Inuit alcoholics alongside those living a traditional premodern lifestyle, and alcoholism among Inuits is a thing. Fire Down Below depicts a poor Appalachian community plagued by polluting corporations and the local police who collude with them, which is also a thing.

Voodoo cults in Jamaican posses, on the other hand...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On Deadly Ground is also the one where he plays slapsies with a guy and manages to smack the racism out of him through his hands.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wheat Loaf posted:

On Deadly Ground is also the one where he plays slapsies with a guy and manages to smack the racism out of him through his hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq4dhgD07qo

Best scene from On Deadly Ground.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
On deadly ground was the last Seagal movie I ever saw.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Just got back from Mile 22 and I gotta say I'm not really getting the hate for this movie, it was uhhhhh pretty awesome?

Far from being a demerit I found the editing on this movie to be a fantastic development on Berg's style. It reminded me of Transformers: The Last Knight's action sequence as nightmare style. Also, Wahlberg's character is hilarious. I lost it at the end of basically every time he chews out his squaddies.

e: I really like the high concept of Mark Wahlberg IS Ben Affleck's character from The Accountant VERSUS the martial arts movie genre

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 23, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Renoistic posted:

On deadly ground was the last Seagal movie I ever saw.
The notion that you could cure someone of bigotry by sadistically beating them with martial arts is the essence of Seagal's personality. He's got this thing where he's mentally arrested at the age of 13, and simultaneously thinks "exotic" cultures are cool, and so are cops and soldiers, and he has to reconcile this somehow.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

It’s worth mentioning that Seagal actually directed On Deadly Ground, which makes it a true Fat Guy Passion Project, and also explains the liberal use of stock footage montages of bears walking through nature to pad time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Under Siege is probably Seagal's best movie; it was directed by Andrew Davis, who also directed The Fugitive. He must be one of the most underrated (or at least under-recognised) action directors of the past 30 years. I think he goes in that category of directors who are very good at bringing a bit of a je ne sais quoi to action movies.

For some reason I had the idea in my head that he'd also directed the movie Witness. Of course that was Peter Weir. And of course it's a crime thriller rather than an action movie. Even so, I think it shares a particular quality (other than Harrison Ford) with The Fugitive but it's one I can't quite define.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Both of them focus on the mundane aspects of laying low and the threat/instinct to let your guard down, IMO

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Under Siege is probably Seagal's best movie; it was directed by Andrew Davis, who also directed The Fugitive. He must be one of the most underrated (or at least under-recognised) action directors of the past 30 years. I think he goes in that category of directors who are very good at bringing a bit of a je ne sais quoi to action movies.

Under Siege is the only one that I think feels like a legit action movie that just happens to star Seagal, all of the others are showcases for Seagal first and foremost.

Seagal as a petty officer chef is hilarious though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember reading through some Steven Seagal iMDB trivia a while back, and had to screen shot some stuff that basically felt like it was written by the man himself.

https://twitter.com/ChadMuskehound/status/888802795217985537

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I wish Seagal had a quarter of the self awareness that Van Damme has grown into, so that his constant godfuck lunacy could be endearing instead of exhausting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

I wish Seagal had a quarter of the self awareness that Van Damme has grown into, so that his constant godfuck lunacy could be endearing instead of exhausting.

I thought he was headed in that direction when he had that reality show where he was like a county sheriff or something, but haha no of course not, the show had zero traces of irony whatsoever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The cool thing about aikido demonstrations is that they're all staged, but the people doing them don't know that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember the Johnny Bravo character Squint Ringo?

It's a great Seagal parody.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

The cool thing about aikido demonstrations is that they're all staged, but the people doing them don't know that.

This has to be one of the best videos in the history of the internet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

I really do think that guy had been a "master" for so long that he'd bought into his own bullshit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember reading through some Steven Seagal iMDB trivia a while back, and had to screen shot some stuff that basically felt like it was written by the man himself.

https://twitter.com/ChadMuskehound/status/888802795217985537

It's a bit like if Chuck Norris Facts had been started by Chuck Norris.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

This has to be one of the best videos in the history of the internet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

I really do think that guy had been a "master" for so long that he'd bought into his own bullshit.

Safety Not Guaranteed being about Kiai wouldve been way better

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Hudson Hawk for the first time and it's retarded in a cool way. Also going very hard on that early 90s children's adventure aesthetic

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I think this movie would have been much better received if it had just been made like, three years earlier

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And didnt have hard swears

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

got any sevens posted:

And didnt have hard swears

It's a really freakin weird movie, between that and the surprisingly graphic violence in the third act.

Hard to chuckle over the umpteenth cappuccino joke when you've just seen a man decapitate himself with his own wristblades.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fart City posted:

It's a really freakin weird movie, between that and the surprisingly graphic violence in the third act.

Hard to chuckle over the umpteenth cappuccino joke when you've just seen a man decapitate himself with his own wristblades.
"Looks like you won't be attending that hat convention!" :haw:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The early 90s was a weird time when you could have superficially kid-friendly movies with a lot of violence. I think it reached its absurd apex with The Miami Connection, which is mentally on the level of a Three Ninjas or Scooby Doo direct-to-video movie, but has people being slaughtered with katanas and assault rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Payndz posted:

"Looks like you won't be attending that hat convention!" :haw:

I laughed way too hard at this quote from movie I haven't seen in at least a decade. I feel the need to rectify that as soon as possible.

e: Looking up my options for viewing it and I found this:

And I'm wondering if they decided to make this a double feature due to both being action-comedy box office bombs for (at the time) big action stars, or due to having HH titles or both.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 26, 2018