Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, they do demonstrate that Killmonger will murder anyone who becomes the slightest inconvenience to him no matter how much they matter to him and has zero thought for what happens after his death. A kind of dictator archetype that Africans would be all too familiar with.

But they have him make a few too many good points and also have an agent of the same agency that trained him to be a super war criminal as the wacky comic relief sidekick, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Gonz posted:

The liquid nitrogen kill is great. But the rest of Jason X is indeed horrible.

The liquid nitrogen kill is legit horrifying. It's the entire series summed up; an intelligent, beautiful woman is killed in a horribly violent manner that targets her face. Optimus Prime would be proud.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gatts posted:

No, I’m saying Killmonger’s revolution is bad specifically and would have lead to ISIS type situation where he’d remove the system in place but not account for something worse to take hold. He’s just another oppressor.

This is known as "propagada".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, they do demonstrate that Killmonger will murder anyone who becomes the slightest inconvenience to him no matter how much they matter to him and has zero thought for what happens after his death. A kind of dictator archetype that Africans would be all too familiar with.

But they have him make a few too many good points and also have an agent of the same agency that trained him to be a super war criminal as the wacky comic relief sidekick, so...

Killmongers gonna give guns to revolutionaries. Yeah great. What happens when they lash out cause all they are is angry; remove the current institution in power, then manage what sort of transition? What are they building? Leave rubble behind? Take hold of power then kill the differing points of view to sustain it? What’s he actually doing with that point of his to make the world a just and better place? Step one, remove bad people in power...step 2 power vacuum? Step 3 brotherhood? Just cause he’s angry with a point don’t mean much.

Kill and eat the rich. Yeah great I agree but then what? What and who is in place after? Last time we had guillotines, what are you doing to ensure in another 300 years we don’t repeat the same poo poo. What generational change and system are you putting in place? And when that system breaks down cause people’s thinking has changed? What then? Another revolution?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

asecondduck posted:

What about lists of most disappointing sci-fi films? I really wanted to like Oblivion and it started off good enough but as soon as Morgan Freeman shows up it goes to poo poo.

It's not a great action movie but the rest of it rules. Great sound design.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gatts posted:

Kill and eat the rich. Yeah great I agree but then what? What and who is in place after? Last time we had guillotines, what are you doing to ensure in another 300 years we don’t repeat the same poo poo. What generational change and system are you putting in place? And when that system breaks down cause people’s thinking has changed? What then? Another revolution?

Are you saying your gripe with the film is that it didn't spend more time talking about the revolutionary politics of Killmonger? Because if so, I totally agree.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm really very sorry I helped to start this massive derail about two bad movies from senile has-been Ridley Scott

If it's any consolation, I wasn't 100% serious with my lists. I was just memeing:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Ex Machina (2015)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End Of Evangelion (1997)
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Her (2013)
Annihilation (2018)
Zero Theorem (2013)
I, Robot (2004) Inception (2010)

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)
Under the Skin (2013)
Signs (2002)
Hidden (2015)
Daybreakers (2009)
Iron Sky (2012)
Dark City (1998)
9 (2009)
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
11 A.M. (2013)

Can we talk about Happytime Murders instead?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The best way to derail a thread is to prompt folks to make lists. It's also the most useless because nobody cares about anyone else's list unless it's a hot take intended to stir poo poo up. Especially when it's all as arbitrary as "Superhero movies don't count as science-fiction. Or horror-sci-fi. Or magical realism."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Samuel Clemens posted:

Are you saying your gripe with the film is that it didn't spend more time talking about the revolutionary politics of Killmonger? Because if so, I totally agree.

That’s one of the major problems with the film and Marvel movies. It would have been better to explore and flesh out. The movie is lesser for not having done it cause Killmonger and Jordan’s performance was great.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

The best way to derail a thread is to prompt folks to make lists. It's also the most useless because nobody cares about anyone else's list unless it's a hot take intended to stir poo poo up. Especially when it's all as arbitrary as "Superhero movies don't count as science-fiction. Or horror-sci-fi. Or magical realism."

Let's stir poo poo up!

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991)
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016)
4. TMNT (2007)
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)
6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Live action films based on fighting/beat em up video games

1. Street Fighter
2. Mortal Kombat
3. Mortal Kombat Annihilation
3. Double Dragon
4. Tekken 2
5. Dead or Alive
6. Street Fighter the Legend of Chun Li
7. Tekken

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gatts posted:

Killmongers gonna give guns to revolutionaries. Yeah great. What happens when they lash out cause all they are is angry; remove the current institution in power, then manage what sort of transition? What are they building? Leave rubble behind? Take hold of power then kill the differing points of view to sustain it? What’s he actually doing with that point of his to make the world a just and better place? Step one, remove bad people in power...step 2 power vacuum? Step 3 brotherhood? Just cause he’s angry with a point don’t mean much.

It's incredibly sad to see the Black Panther name used to denounce revolutions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Yikes, I hosed up by doing that I guess, my bad. Then I went off to my sister's place to help her clean up mouse poo poo and lay some (non-lethal!)traps and didn't come back to the thread until this morning!

Nice lists though everybody.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

feedmyleg posted:

Goons HATE him!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grendels Dad posted:

Let's stir poo poo up!

4. TMNT (2007)

How is II not both 1 and 2 on the list???

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Let's stir poo poo up!

4. TMNT (2007)

Hard agree. Secret of the Ooze is basically a Bill and Ted movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is Secret of the Ooze the one where they crash one of Vanilla Ice's concerts, and he spontaneously develops a Ninja Turtles rap? Because that one owns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The first two TMNT movies are like Alien and Aliens, different enough that I don't worry about which one is "better" but obviously they're both really good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is Secret of the Ooze the one where they crash one of Vanilla Ice's concerts, and he spontaneously develops a Ninja Turtles rap? Because that one owns.

Yes, it’s also the one we’re the Turtles we’re not allowed to use their weapons.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://twitter.com/scottaukerman/status/1000129078995836928

If you post a serious response to this tweet I will cut you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mierenneuker posted:

My serious response is that you should have screenshotted it because it's deleted now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mierenneuker posted:

It got deleted but I'm guessing that was his Star Wars list? Which I completely agree with BTW.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Don’t know why it doesn’t show (it still loads in the mobile app), but yes, an undeniable list.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 22, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Funny thing is if you asked me to rank in order of quality my list would probably be roughly the same. Maybe I'd swap Solo and Rogue One

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Don’t know why it doesn’t show (it still loads in the mobile app), but yes, an undeniable list.

No Holiday Special or Ewok-films. This list is bullshit!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mierenneuker posted:

Chronological order is not a ranking

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

The joke is/was that a lot of people didn't understand that was what he was doing, and kept arguing about placement and how could you, etc. It took a while for it to sink in.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

UNDENIABLE LIST

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

The liquid nitrogen kill is great. But the rest of Jason X is indeed horrible.

Jason X also has a sexy android girl in leather with guns. It’s a very bad movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Taintrunner posted:

Jason X also has a sexy android girl in leather with guns. It’s a very bad movie.

These two sentences are contradictory

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mierenneuker posted:

I was honestly very surprised that people didn't immediately get the joke but that made it better.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

The best way to derail a thread is to prompt folks to make lists. It's also the most useless because nobody cares about anyone else's list unless it's a hot take intended to stir poo poo up.

Lists are fine, but require context.

Like if somebody ranks Annihilation as one of the best science fiction films of all time, they should probably have an answer to a question like “why?”

Or if the reason ends up being that, like, Ryan Gosling is cute in Blade Runner 2, then it means that we’re not actually talking sci-fi but some kind of venn-diagram overlapping of “set in a future” with a larger circle labelled “cute guys”.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It doesn't say it's a ranking.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Funny thing is if you asked me to rank in order of quality my list would probably be roughly the same. Maybe I'd swap Solo and Rogue One

I'd keep the top two, but then just put an equals sign for everything from three down, so I can shift them around depending on my mood.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm a crazy prequel liker though. I like all Star Wars up until the second half of TFA where it falls apart and is all downhill from there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm a crazy prequel liker though. I like all Star Wars up until the second half of TFA where it falls apart and is all downhill from there.

They're all much of a muchness for me after the first two. They all have parts I enjoy and parts I don't and the latter don't really bother me that much because it's not worth getting worked up over.

Like many people, I didn't like the prequels for a while, but then I got over myself (which is something everyone should do with movies and books and television and things) and now I have a good enough time with them.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 22, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah when I was 17 I was like "What the gently caress is this stupid announcer guy with two heads calling the race this is stupid corny poo poo why did they make this" and now I'm 36 and I'm like " Hah, this two headed announcer alien... He's a wacky dude. I bet they get in arguments at home, I bet one is a neat freak and one is messy. Whoa did Jabba just eat a space rat like an apple? Haha yeah I bet Jabba would do that. Mind tricks don't work on you only money? Same."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sponges posted:

lol Jason X is so whacky!

(It’s poo poo)

It's an awesome horror comedy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah when I was 17 I was like "What the gently caress is this stupid announcer guy with two heads calling the race this is stupid corny poo poo why did they make this" and now I'm 36 and I'm like " Hah, this two headed announcer alien... He's a wacky dude. I bet they get in arguments at home, I bet one is a neat freak and one is messy. Whoa did Jabba just eat a space rat like an apple? Haha yeah I bet Jabba would do that. Mind tricks don't work on you only money? Same."

I think I also read enough bad Star Wars novels as a teenager that I'm inured to most things the movies can do at this point (not everything, but most things). So long as I am entertained for a couple of hours when I watch them I am reasonably content with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's an awesome horror comedy.

It's not even the funniest Friday the 13th.