Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Angry Grimace posted:

it feels like there's an endless stream of whining and complaining from people who take the game far too seriously.

I mean it feels like this all the time anyway. "Their"Gate was the stupidest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
https://deckstats.net/decks/86151/1068657-cat-tastrophe

Here's my wife's first crack at making a deck. All she wanted was a deck of cats. Any feedback would be appreciated.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

uPen posted:

Magic might actually be fun right now so we need something to piss and moan about.

Playing Magic has always been fun (to variable degrees), it's everything surrounding the game that sucks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Here's my wife's first crack at making a deck. All she wanted was a deck of cats. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I made a cat deck once (I have the cat commander deck from last year). The best cattes in Standard are:

Leonin Vanguard
Sacred Cat
Adorned Pouncer
Ajani's Pridemate
Pride Sovereign
Leonin Warleader
Regal Caracal

You can then throw in like Radiant Destiny or whatever other anthems you can find to make your cattes even bigger. It's a pretty fun deck and very straightforward, although eventually the fun police will show up and play a sweeper to kill all of your cats.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Magic the game is fun but everything about playing it at a level above ‘card shop brewer’ is terrible because WotC is invested in Magic as a business, which causes them to make decisions bad for Magic the game to better support Magic the Business. Which, I mean, if the latter goes we’ll lose the former too so whatever but I wish fortitude, thick skin, and a healthy disposable income on any who wish to try to go ‘real’ competitive.

I mean, the only thing more depressing then watching a bunch of Magic Ubergoons throw each other under the bus for an award to make a sub-minimum wage lifestyle more tenable is listening to MaRo’s design podcasts because listening him get super excited about card design then hear all the joy creep out of his voice when he has to tell stories about how he didn’t get to do a thing because Corporate and listen to those stories shift over time to him stopping himself and others from doing things because he slowly had the evil beaten into him, which is like watching a sick man slowly waste away to nothing in a hospital bed.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

You can then throw in like Radiant Destiny or whatever other anthems you can find to make your cattes even bigger. It's a pretty fun deck and very straightforward, although eventually the fun police will show up and play a sweeper to kill all of your cats.

I am a member of the fun police service, and I'll have you know we no longer use "sweepers" or, indeed, any damage/destruction effects - we've moved beyond those days. When confronted with a potential fun incursion, police service members like myself deploy all natural, non-lethal Hazes and Root Snares until the fun withdraws or times out.

Destroying a fun creature may prevent some damage now, but ultimately that player may go on to play more games and deploy more creatures. We finally have the technology to break that cycle.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 22, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Blizzy_Cow posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1254113

Here's a Catte Deck that did pretty well at the Pro Tour! The creature base is solid and cheap. She can replace the lands easily enough, she just might get some situations where the deck doesn't curve out as smooth but whatever, the important thing is playing with cats. Just take the creatures and add a mix of spot removal (I prefer ones that can take out a planeswalker if needed) and pump spells, don't worry about the expensive cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

goth smoking cloves posted:

Magic needs a WWE circuit where heels like Alex can flourish.

Doesn’t work when everyone’s a heel :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Probably figure out which cats the deck wants to draw consistently and run more than one copy of them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

precision posted:

Probably figure out which cats the deck wants to draw consistently and run more than one copy of them.

In my experience newer players really don’t like the idea of running a bunch of the best cards for their deck in favor of running essentially every plausible card that could go in the deck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Angry Grimace posted:

In my experience newer players really don’t like the idea of running a bunch of the best cards for their deck in favor of running essentially every plausible card that could go in the deck.

I'm a very old player and I still run lots of 2-ofs. Sometimes I look at a deck that's nothing but 4-ofs and think "god, that looks so boring to play". There's a lot of psychology in what people like to play, especially when you're looking to "have fun" more than you're looking to "win games".

Like, I have all the cards on Arena to make turbofog or red.dec and I just can't do it. Both those decks seem so boring to play. A key part of discussing Magic with other people is to accept that not everyone has the same definition of "fun".

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's the archetype for the player who likes losing again?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Magic the game is fun but everything about playing it at a level above ‘card shop brewer’ is terrible because WotC is invested in Magic as a business, which causes them to make decisions bad for Magic the game to better support Magic the Business. Which, I mean, if the latter goes we’ll lose the former too so whatever but I wish fortitude, thick skin, and a healthy disposable income on any who wish to try to go ‘real’ competitive.

I mean, the only thing more depressing then watching a bunch of Magic Ubergoons throw each other under the bus for an award to make a sub-minimum wage lifestyle more tenable is listening to MaRo’s design podcasts because listening him get super excited about card design then hear all the joy creep out of his voice when he has to tell stories about how he didn’t get to do a thing because Corporate and listen to those stories shift over time to him stopping himself and others from doing things because he slowly had the evil beaten into him, which is like watching a sick man slowly waste away to nothing in a hospital bed.

"Untenable sub-minimum wage lifestyle" is the reason why being a shitlord is the rule and not the exception for Magic pros. You have to have a screw loose to pursue that as a "profession" because the actual object is just lording it over other nerds. Every competitive grinder I've ever met has been a smarmy rear end in a top hat who acted just like Owen Turtenwald.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Johnny and Timmy are both psycho-graphics for people who play the game for reasons that aren't solely "winning."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Nobody likes losing, but contrary to what some players believe, it is possible to have fun and also lose the game.

If you're not having fun when you lose you don't actually enjoy the game itself and should find another hobby before you die of toxic aggro poisoning.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Mill

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't be the only person who thinks that this controversy is extremely stupid and unimportant, even to Magic: the Gathering players. I don't know what WOTC needs to do to control the "narrative" around the game, but it feels like there's an endless stream of whining and complaining from people who take the game far too seriously. WOTC should just ban Bertoncini just so I can stop hearing about him.

hey, im sorry for the struggles you're enduring, having to read about an mtg player like this.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

any alternate win con, as the poster above me stated mill seems the most popular. the player who likes losing with a pile to protect their fragile ego is one of the funnier player archetypes imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rabidsquid posted:

the player who likes losing with a pile to protect their fragile ego is one of the funnier player archetypes imo.

The funniest Magic player archetype is the kind who posts endlessly about how "funny" it is that some people enjoy the game different to the way they enjoy the game.

imo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

sorry about your fragile ego

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks for proving my point :)

Yes, I'd rather lose with a "pile" of my own creation than win with red.dec. Ask yourself why it is that you see this, not as someone who is having fun in a different way to you, but as something to be insulted?

And why posting said insult is a good idea?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

precision posted:

The funniest Magic player archetype is the kind who posts endlessly about how "funny" it is that some people enjoy the game different to the way they enjoy the game.

imo

That's usually just called "passive-aggressive."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i pretty much only enjoy extremely slow and bad decks, but i am sure i meant that everyone who doesnt play the best deck in every format is a bad person.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Angry Grimace posted:

That's usually just called "passive-aggressive."

the priority system and existence of instant speed effects is inherently a passive-aggressive game system, when you think about it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rabidsquid posted:

i pretty much only enjoy extremely slow and bad decks

Then tell me why you thought it was a good idea to post what you did.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

because people who play a pile and say "if eveyone didn't netdeck," is funny to me. for some reason you've decided i said that everyone who plays mill is that guy, when i just said that guy likes to play alternate win cons, and mill is the most common version.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TVsVeryOwn posted:

The burn player :shepicide:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

precision posted:

imo

The funniest magic player archetype is me because of my natural charisma.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
There's basically two kinds of people who show up with piles. There's people who find a deck they enjoy and play it with no regard for whether or not it's a tier deck, and then there's people who will actively avoid playing good decks just so they can brag about how much more honorable they are than filthy netdeckers. The latter are really obnoxious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the only times I feel existentially "bad" when I lose are when I lose to someone who just plays Mountain, 1-drop, Mountain, 2-drop, Mountain, 3-drop and I'm dead. Doubly so if they're not even "good" (read: Rare) cards, just losing to a couple Commons is always gonna feel weird and uniquely lovely in a way that most other games completely manage to avoid.

All my other feelbads (people slow-rolling, spamming "Your Go" when I'm not slow-rolling, etc) are obviated by watching a movie or reading a book and only paying attention to my laptop when it's my turn. Suddenly I don't care that my opponent is taking literally infinite minutes on their turn. I highly recommend that exactly nobody give Arena their full attention unless you just like being miserable.

Gustav posted:

There's basically two kinds of people who show up with piles. There's people who find a deck they enjoy and play it with no regard for whether or not it's a tier deck, and then there's people who will actively avoid playing good decks just so they can brag about how much more honorable they are than filthy netdeckers. The latter are really obnoxious.

Yeah, the latter are obnoxious. My U/W Arena deck started as a pile (Raff historic jank) and as I've made it better it's come to look very very similar to U/W decks you see online, but for whatever brain reason, the fact that I got the deck to that point by making decisions about what works and what doesn't makes me feel fine about it. Just looking up a deck and copying it is aggressively not fun for me, though I wish it were fun because it'd make things a lot easier.

precision fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 22, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
You people are loving terrible.

e: on second thought, us people are loving terrible, might as well include myself.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I love to win. Playing in the top8 feels great. Winning a pptq is a great experience that everyone should feel at least once. Shocker I know. I sometimes understand why people cheat to help from losing from "bad" players due to randomness.

Losing is fine too. Scrubbing out early and going to eat and hang out with my friends after a tournament is almost as good as winning. Almost what we should have done instead of playing magic sometimes.

Playing magic all day in a stressful tournament only to miss cashing in the last round makes you want to quit the game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Best decks are stupid gimmick decks. I'm running a stamdard fling/jaya's immolating inferno deck that only wins if there's pretty much no removal on my opponent's side in standard. Once blossoming defence and fling rotate I'm completely hosed.

My modern deck is GW tokens and I've seen no one else at my (admittedly small, french) lgs playing anything like that.

Sickening posted:

you want to quit the game.

Almost what we should have done instead of playing magic sometimes.

Agreed.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 22, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

magiccards.info is officially offline now and redirects to scryfall.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ilmucche posted:

Best decks are stupid gimmick decks. I'm running a stamdard fling/jaya's immolating inferno deck that only wins if there's pretty much no removal on my opponent's side in standard. Once blossoming defence and fling rotate I'm completely hosed.

My modern deck is GW tokens and I've seen no one else at my (admittedly small, french) lgs playing anything like that.

when i was a kid for some reason i built an extremely elaborate sultai aluren/hunting moa/triskelion/equilibrium combo deck

edit: there was also a combo in there with archivist that let me draw my deck infinitely but i dont remember what dumb poo poo way i was untapping it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

magiccards.info is officially offline now and redirects to scryfall.

They bought it only to take it completely offline? Seems weird.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I love to win. Playing in the top8 feels great. Winning a pptq is a great experience that everyone should feel at least once. Shocker I know. I sometimes understand why people cheat to help from losing from "bad" players due to randomness.

Losing is fine too. Scrubbing out early and going to eat and hang out with my friends after a tournament is almost as good as winning. Almost what we should have done instead of playing magic sometimes.

Playing magic all day in a stressful tournament only to miss cashing in the last round makes you want to quit the game.

Mostly agreeing with Sickening here, even though I like playing weird and semi bad decks sometimes.

I will say that, in my opinion, win or lose it's more fun to play a deck that you genuinely enjoy playing than it is to play the number one deck in the meta. (but if the number one best deck in the meta happens to be a deck that you genuinely enjoy playing, then go absolutely ham friendo.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mezzanon posted:

I will say that, in my opinion, win or lose it's more fun to play a deck that you genuinely enjoy playing than it is to play the number one deck in the meta. (but if the number one best deck in the meta happens to be a deck that you genuinely enjoy playing, then go absolutely ham friendo.)

It's the happiest I've been with U/W control since playing Samurai of the Pale Curtain/Web of Inertia jank like 12 years ago

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mezzanon posted:

Mostly agreeing with Sickening here, even though I like playing weird and semi bad decks sometimes.

This is very much the camp that i'm in. Losing isn't great but winning with a deck I don't like is only slightly better.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sickening posted:

Clearly you've never been part of an incredible journey.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

ShaneB posted:

Foulkes is an incredibly overly confident person for a guy who streams from the bedroom in his parent's house. He's pretty easy to hate on stream. I briefly was watching him (working from home makes a man desperate at times) and quickly grew sick of his poo poo. It's zero surprise he tried to take advantage of the situation and I'm glad he's getting some flak for it.

While a little late, Foulkes used to play in my local area until a year or so ago. I didn't have much to do with him usually , but he always was kind of arrogant at events and most memorably, told me to gently caress off and die at Karaoke because I said I didn't like drafting and preferred modern(?). He ended up sharing a house with the local grinder for some time to pursue a career in streaming, and now this happened.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Scryfall didn't buy them. Basically magiccards.info went to scryfall and said "we're done, we're closing down, will you please host our old links so forums don't break?" and scryfall agreed.