Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Maltloaf posted:

A Confession

:five: Oh wow :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
*snorts a line of mocap*

that's the good poo poo

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

*snorts a line of mocap*

that's the good poo poo

That mocap is still occurring is something that will never stop being amazing to me. Chris stealing a few tens of millions of dollars to pretend to be a director back a few years ago, assuming a game to "plug it all into" was a foregone conclusion - that's pure Roberts. But doing it in 2018, when the game has fallen apart at the seams, none of the previous mocap is usable, and the game is still not yet designed, not to mention a lawsuit looming - that's amazing.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 22, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Here's a fun game to play:

How many new elements would have to be put in place before boats were a thing they could actually implement?
How many for submersibles?
How many have to be completely missing, with no plan to implement them ever, before the sale becomes outright fraud?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Let's see, top of my head:

Boats
  • Sphere-based water physics to add bodies of water to the planets. I'm not sure anyone's managed this yet in any of the spherical physics games- maybe No Man's Sky?
  • Docks to allow the actual spawning of boats
  • Ramps or something that actually work or else how do you even get on the boat?
  • Wind and wave calculations to give the water a bit of realistic chop and make the boats sway convincingly. See: recent pirate games
  • "Undersea treasure" or explore-able islands to give people with boats something to do
  • Indirect artillery fire or other ballistic physics to let boats lob artillery overland, or at each other
  • Some serious handling for spaceship - to - water physics. Can ships land in ocean?
  • Damage and sinking mechanics. Oops your local physics grid is taking on water!
  • Some reason you'd ever want a boat, which can go on one surface type, over a spaceship, which can literally fly in space or in the atmosphere. Why can't you land the spaceship on the islands and in the ocean, then dive for treasure?
  • Ocean-based plant and animal life
  • Ocean-based NPC ships and activity
  • Player-character swimming and drowning mechanics

Submersibles:
  • Water depth and pressure mechanics
  • Hull interactions with above, for any ship that might go below the surface
  • Bouyancy mechanics for flooded ships
  • Shipwrecks or other bottom-of-ocean content
  • Deep-sea plant and animal life
  • Deep-sea NPC submarines
  • Water based torpedo mechanics?
  • Sonar or radar mechanics?
  • Depth charge mechanics?

So basically in this week's boat sale we have tacked on the technical debt of Black Flag and also Subnautica. No big deal!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

How many new elements would have to be put in place before boats were a thing they could actually implement?
How many have to be completely missing, with no plan to implement them ever, before the sale becomes outright fraud?

That question pretty much covers the entire game at this point.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Which WoW mount unlocks mining?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I had a great idea of re-wording Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner in celebration of the forthcoming red hot boat action Star Citizen will never have.

Then I remembered how loving long the poem was. Have some excerpts instead.

quote:

The Wedding-Guest sat on a stone:
He cannot choose but hear;
And thus spake on that ancient man,
The bright-eyed Crobbler.

quote:

And a good south wind sprung up behind;
The Derek Smart did follow,
And every day, for food or play,
Came to the Crobbler's hollo!

quote:

'God save thee, ancient Crobbler!
From the fiends, that plague thee thus!—
Why look'st thou so?'—With my limited edition Shroud of the Avatar cross-over event cross-bow
I shot the DEREK SMART.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hav posted:

Thanks for the backfill. I was all over Groklaw when it kicked off and remember the side issue of them attempting to out Pam Jones.

It was a lovely lawsuit that ended the OS wars, at least.

I was similarly obsessed, I bought the CSRG archives (all the BSD source code from the beginning to 4.4), and did a comparison of the API for Pamela so we could say for sure what the code itself was saying in reference both to SCO's claims and the USL/RoCA settlement. Berkeley owed a lot to the brilliant Bill Joy who pretty much wrote half the early system (and was able to take that on to Sun), so it was clean, understandable code.

The ad hominem attacks on Jones were rather creepy. Particularly one Florian Müller who regularly misrepresented groklaw's intentions and the rather bizarre contributions of the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution who had the novel theory that Linux must be stolen because no mere student could write a Unix. But the use of a think-tank indicated that rather shadowy people had money vested in the hope that SCO could litigate successfully.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1032260955923800064
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1032262138864250880
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1032263040161513477
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1032264498047057921
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1032266699624603648
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1032268455876145152

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
The "dark ages", like Star Citizen, is a thing that people talk about as if it's a thing, when it actually isn't.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Private/Incognito search

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Can I be the person who challenges everybody to duels in my low end ship and tell them my years of experience with wing Commander games means they will never beat me regardless of the space ships they buy?

I nominate you for this position.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1032088739554713600

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Buy now before it goes up 200%!!!!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

That mocap is still occurring is something that will never stop being amazing to me. Chris stealing a few tens of millions of dollars to pretend to be a director back a few years ago, assuming a game to "plug it all into" was a foregone conclusion - that's pure Roberts. But doing it in 2018, when the game has fallen apart at the seams, none of the previous mocap is usable, and the game is still not yet designed, not to mention a lawsuit looming - that's amazing.

Well, mocaping those dudes with yellow jackets who do funny hand signs on aircraft carriers is tough, and completely vital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-QG23pmuM&t=40s

I mean, look at all that fidelity!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

There is no such thing as a "capital" mount in World of Warcraft, no matter how hard you want to try and draw an equivalency between buying straight up power, and buying a cosmetic item.

Wait! I can't one shot the new raids in WOW with this thing?

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Sarsapariller posted:

Here's where I get to roleplay a CIG developer:
If procedurally generated ground height is less than sea level, then water.
Boats are cars that work on water.
Submarines are ships that fly under water, but with a wavy blue screen effect.
Water resistance is just a matter of tweaking thruster numbers, but we can do that later.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AngusPodgorny posted:

Here's where I get to roleplay a CIG developer:
If procedurally generated ground height is less than sea level, then water.
Boats are cars that work on water.
Submarines are ships that fly under water, but with a wavy blue screen effect.
Water resistance is just a matter of tweaking thruster numbers, but we can do that later.

I thought of a space game that actually did water, and their approach is basically this one. Here's how that actually works, functionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5DbI1kvV0&t=727s

Yeah I would definitely pay x-hundred dollars for that, why not?

Some light reading:
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/237528/Water_interaction_model_for_boats_in_video_games.php

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

I don't get why Bluegoblin thinks asking people to be more positive is trolling them, like it's going to make them fly off the handle with rage and get banned.

All it does is make him look even more uncomprehending and detached from reality than normal.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Only get the latest infos from https://pixelemonade.com, your independent news source!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

I was similarly obsessed, I bought the CSRG archives (all the BSD source code from the beginning to 4.4), and did a comparison of the API for Pamela so we could say for sure what the code itself was saying in reference both to SCO's claims and the USL/RoCA settlement. Berkeley owed a lot to the brilliant Bill Joy who pretty much wrote half the early system (and was able to take that on to Sun), so it was clean, understandable code.

The ad hominem attacks on Jones were rather creepy. Particularly one Florian Müller who regularly misrepresented groklaw's intentions and the rather bizarre contributions of the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution who had the novel theory that Linux must be stolen because no mere student could write a Unix. But the use of a think-tank indicated that rather shadowy people had money vested in the hope that SCO could litigate successfully.

You are a hero.

I'd forgotten about Florian; he was an absolutely amazing flak. He was working for MS and Oracle at the time, and would later take some money from Red Hat while opposing software patents, but he was very much your 'backer' of the era.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 22, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

I thought of a space game that actually did water, and their approach is basically this one. Here's how that actually works, functionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5DbI1kvV0&t=727s

Yeah I would definitely pay x-hundred dollars for that, why not?

Some light reading:
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/237528/Water_interaction_model_for_boats_in_video_games.php

Prepar3d is a big-boy no fun allowed sim that covers Aircraft and submarines. No one knows how it works though because no one uses the sub in the sim.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Branston will return to this place

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

his nibs posted:

I wonder if Branston will return to this place

That would put things in a bit of a pickle.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ah, yes. The medical ship. Shown here in combat... and with one of its hospital beds floating away. :confused:

I had already sold off one of my packages and refunded the rest months earlier, but hoo boy did that cement what a good decision it was to get out. :chloe:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He's got a point. No other dev has the same scope... for reinventing the wheel.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Huh, so the new Honest Game trailer took a shot at Star Citizen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTRbWwBwWok When even that poo poo's getting in on the joke, it's gotten out into the wild.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Argument: procedural tech is pointless because all it generates are boring, desolate moons.

Repartee: just imagine how great it will be when it can generate populated planets!

What kind of fallacy is this? It must have a name.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Idiocy.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Nebiros posted:

Huh, so the new Honest Game trailer took a shot at Star Citizen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTRbWwBwWok When even that poo poo's getting in on the joke, it's gotten out into the wild.

Countdown to Humanevil accusing Smosh of being a pedophile ring in 3...2...1...

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Someone who is good with computer decrease Mirificus output by 50%.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
So, what did they actually say about aquatic vehicles. Because the concept that Star Citizen could now be competing with Subnautica is so farsical, we have been joking about it for over a year.

"See that rancid puddle, you could fit Subnautica in there"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris is like the Coyote. So long as he never looks down he won't fall.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Argument: procedural tech is pointless because all it generates are boring, desolate moons.

Repartee: just imagine how great it will be when it can generate populated planets!

Sunk Cost Galaxy.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

So, what did they actually say about aquatic vehicles. Because the concept that Star Citizen could now be competing with Subnautica is so farsical, we have been joking about it for over a year.

"See that rancid puddle, you could fit Subnautica in there"

Someone asked if they would be selling airplane or aquatic vehicle jpgs this year. The dev answered "no, there are currently no plans for that", and Lando clarified "not this year but maybe in the future" because he apparently really likes the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sunk Cost Galaxy fits even better now, thanks Chris you stupid idiot :laffo: