Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

Kinda related, but is there any explanation of how the knight ended up on the surface for the beginning of the game?

I think this is the most important lore question in the game! Where has the Knight been? For how long? I think I asked this earlier in the thread and we might have even had a conversation about it, but is the Void Heart scene where you climb up out of the Abyss and then fall back down supposed to be a vision? Or a flashback? As in something that actually happened?

It opens up a whole lot of questions: did the King keep making vessels after the Hollow Knight? When did he and the whole White Palace disappear? What is the timeline!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I have never understood people who are against contact damage, to be honest. The game would be way way too easy without it.

I can accept contact damage with suspension of disbelief but sometimes when I think about game logic too much I start to wonder why is the enemy so toxic you take damage just by touching them but they do not by touching you.

Maybe there could be a game where you can double KO by ramming into opponents.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The only time I lost Geo across two playthroughs was trying to do that nasty thorn challenge area in Greenpath. Only happened the once. I already had the lantern so it wasn't that big a deal. In general I walk on eggshells if I die until I get my shade back and I think some people just blast back on through like they haven't got a care in the world.

So It Goes posted:

This is what confuses me. Castlevania and Metroid have contact damage. Mario has contact damage. Mega Man has contact damage. Do the people who talk about contact damage also not want it in basically every 2d game that exists? Or is it only hollow knight where they feel it shouldn’t exist, and if so why?

This is going to sound very cold and mean but I think some of it is literally just there are a lot of people who are absolute dogshit at video games but want it to be someone else's fault when they die. I talked to one guy who spent half an hour getting the item on the right side of Queen's Station. It's like 3 jumps and there's a bench in the room next to it. I cannot fathom a world in which it takes half an hour to complete that sequence. The same guy complained about contact damage, but also professed a love of Castlevania, a game with contact damage.

One thing the dev I mentioned earlier pointed out is that people are very bad at expressing themselves and that may be how he's interpreting the different problem that he's actually having, like getting hit in a way that he gets knocked back into environmental hazards. I can only really think of one place where that might be a consistent issue for a player with functioning gross motor control and that's the area with the flipping platforms and the flying bugs whose stingers sprout crystal when they shoot, that one definitely frustrated me a bit.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I can accept contact damage with suspension of disbelief but sometimes when I think about game logic too much I start to wonder why is the enemy so toxic you take damage just by touching them but they do not by touching you.

Maybe there could be a game where you can double KO by ramming into opponents.

Referring back to an earlier post I made, do you feel this way about all 2d games like castlevania, Metroid, Mario, donkey Kong, rayman, mega man etc? Or is it just hollow knight? For some reason I’ve only ever heard this point for hollow knight and I don’t really get what the difference is.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't even think that enemies hurting you on contact is necessarily a bad idea from a design standpoint, it's more that it kind of breaks immersion I guess, just an instant reminder I'm playing a videogame.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do you constantly forget you are playing a video game?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm sure you can make a perfectly fine game without contact damage, but then the enemies would need to be much more dangerous in other ways. Getting upset over it in a game like hollow knight is like getting upset that the enemies have guns in an FPS.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

RCarr posted:

If it's a good one, yes. That's kind of what immersion means.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RCarr posted:

I constantly dissociate and see myself above the shoulder from about ten feet back and pick up orbs

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

OzFactor posted:

I think this is the most important lore question in the game! Where has the Knight been? For how long? I think I asked this earlier in the thread and we might have even had a conversation about it, but is the Void Heart scene where you climb up out of the Abyss and then fall back down supposed to be a vision? Or a flashback? As in something that actually happened?

It opens up a whole lot of questions: did the King keep making vessels after the Hollow Knight? When did he and the whole White Palace disappear? What is the timeline!?

If I recall Hornet has a line about The Knight coming from two voids or something like that, so the Knight was clearly outside of The Kingdom before the game starts.

Spoilers I guess

Timeline: Radiance rules the Kingdom ---> A Wyrm becomes the White King and gives the bugs "consciousness." ---> The Radiance who has been forgotten seeps into different memories, corrupting various bugs / creatures and kick starts "the infection." ----> White Wyrm King becomes desperate to control / contain The Radiance, begins mass producing Hollow Knights until his "favorite" turns out to be the appropriate one, at some point Hollow Son / Daughter takes on the infection, the Dreamers seal him in and the King in despair over Hollow Son / Daughter returns to The White Palace to die / disappear.

Years and years later, the Kingdom is in ruin and Hollow Son / Daughter is too attached to the White King, forming some kind of cracks which allows The Radiance to leak out. Out of necessity / cosmic balance / whatever, The Void either creates or reactivates our Knight to come to the Kingdom and the game happens.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
It’s basically accepted by the community at this point the question of why the knight is outside at the start is the biggest mystery in the game that doesn’t have anything even hinting at an explanation in game (along with weavers den in general). I know it got asked in an ama and IIRC the response was something akin to a hmm which made it sound like it might get explored in the hornet dlc.

IMO the knight probably just randomly wandered out somehow and then got lured back when the egg cracked and the hollow knight made a call to its siblings or something for help. Or the king made a call with his dying breath maybe. Thinking about it, it’s not entirely clear why the king is dead exactly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So It Goes posted:

It’s basically accepted by the community at this point the question of why the knight is outside at the start is the biggest mystery in the game that doesn’t have anything even hinting at an explanation in game (along with weavers den in general). I know it got asked in an ama and IIRC the response was something akin to a hmm which made it sound like it might get explored in the hornet dlc.

IMO the knight probably just randomly wandered out somehow and then got lured back when the egg cracked and the hollow knight made a call to its siblings or something for help. Or the king made a call with his dying breath maybe. Thinking about it, it’s not entirely clear why the king is dead exactly.
IIRC in an AMA they said it was likely the king hadn’t died and there’s theories that the skeleton of the king in the white palace is just a dream representation of the fall of his kingdom

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Well that just leads to a follow up question of where the king went then, and why. It almost leads to speculation that the main character is the king himself who somehow reincarnated into a vessel. It’s kinda a neat idea but has literally no support for it, which I’m not a big fan of when theorizing lore.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The simplest explanation might be the knight knows it was rejected - it wasn't chosen by the King to be a Hollow Knight, so it has no purpose, and may as well wander the world. And then was somehow called back by the infection beginning to leak as people have said.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
On this topic, can the King technically die? It's a Wyrm, so it may have just reincarnated just as its previous "corpse" is outside the kingdom

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

^burtle posted:

If I recall Hornet has a line about The Knight coming from two voids or something like that, so the Knight was clearly outside of The Kingdom before the game starts.

quote:

Again we meet little ghost.

I'm normally quite perceptive. You I underestimated, though I've since guessed the truth.

You've seen beyond this kingdom's bounds. Yours is resilience born of two voids.

She seems to imply that there's some benefit or power in the Knight's absence from the Kingdom. Maybe the Knight avoids any sort of corruption resulting from the Hollow Knight's weakening state because the Knight is out of the country. So in that case, the Void Heart scene is an actual flashback and our Knight was created either before or at the same time as the Hollow Knight and left Hallownest before the Hollow Knight was sealed.

The other timeline question: I had always assumed the Hollow Knight tried to contain the infection, then started to fail, and then the King reached out to the Dreamers for their help in sealing it away. But I suppose he could have had it sealed away before it started to fail. I guess I'm not sure that really matters though.

anachron
Jan 23, 2004
Anybody else see what looks like the king in the background of a bench screen in queen's garden? It's sorta by the love key. Will try to screen shot it when i get home.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Noticed that just last night

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cicadalek posted:

If it's a good one, yes. That's kind of what immersion means.

2D platformers aren't particularly conducive to immersion, imo.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

So It Goes posted:

This is what confuses me. Castlevania and Metroid have contact damage. Mario has contact damage. Mega Man has contact damage. Do the people who talk about contact damage also not want it in basically every 2d game that exists? Or is it only hollow knight where they feel it shouldn’t exist, and if so why?

I mean, I don't have a problem with contact damage but in Metroid you can take a lot more hits than in Hollow Knight.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cicadalek posted:

One other tiny thing that bothered me: not really sure why the geo magnet charm and the charm that shows your position on the map were charms at all, rather than just passive traits. They felt kind of mandatory for exploring so it was basically like a notch tax unless you wanted to get lost and lose geo.

Think of the compass charm as more like a reward for players who get a handle on the maps, rather than a penalty for relying on it. I feel like the compass would bother people less if it started as a built-in feature, with an NPC that offered to turn it off for an extra charm slot, or maybe to turn it into the charm we have now. Functionally identical, but it would read more clearly as a reward.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Archenteron posted:

Counterpoint: the Void Heart also lets you function as the perfect vessel

That's not a confirmed fact at all.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

anachron posted:

Anybody else see what looks like the king in the background of a bench screen in queen's garden? It's sorta by the love key. Will try to screen shot it when i get home.

That's a statue, they're all over the place in Queen's Garden.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Brandfarlig posted:

I mean, I don't have a problem with contact damage but in Metroid you can take a lot more hits than in Hollow Knight.

So the reason people bring it up for hollow knight but not other games is because of health pools? That doesn't really explain why I literally never see it brought up for, say, Mario or Donkey Kong or Rayman games but everyone who talks about it appears to be avoiding my question at this point (i.e. not why they have a problem with contact damage but why it's a problem in Hollow Knight and not the other games I listed, unless they believe it is also a problem for those games I guess).

anachron
Jan 23, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

That's a statue, they're all over the place in Queen's Garden.

Nah, there's only one of these
https://imgur.com/a/J331FqO

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

anachron posted:

Nah, there's only one of these
https://imgur.com/a/J331FqO

We see the king though, he's not nearly that big.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ItBreathes posted:

We see the king though, he's not nearly that big.

Or, in a different sense, he's much bigger than that. Could it be the Queen, instead?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

shirts and skins posted:

Or, in a different sense, he's much bigger than that. Could it be the Queen, instead?

it's literally a giant version of the king's idols, isn't it?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
That Greenpath chunk all the way to the left where you have to super dash and hit the armored flying things while dodging spikes is a loving crime against humanity, especially when they leave your stupid corpse all the way at the end of it in case you wanted to get your money back....

There better be a check for a million bucks at the end of that level, handed to me in person by an employee of Team Cherry

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 23, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

shirts and skins posted:

You meet the queen, she's the glowing tree thing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So what's in the new DLC?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ItBreathes posted:

You meet the queen, she's the glowing tree thing.

Ohhh. Yeah that makes sense.

RCarr posted:

So what's in the new DLC?

Doesn't it come out today? When is it supposed to drop?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

PC version in maybe a few hours? No idea when Switch patches usually come out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

standard steam title drop time is 1pm EST, though it could be different since the devs are australia based.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
The Hollow Knight Discord is usually really on the ball with these announcements. Rest assured I'm gonna have an eye on this (well, I'll see the "1" notification in Discord anyway), and I'll try to post if no one hasn't when it drops. So you can all play it in my stead - I've got work, sadly, then going right from there to a movie.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

10am PST

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Here is a countdown for people who find time zones confusing, like me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if it makes you feel better i literally just said 1pm est and still had to double check with google to make sure that lined up with 10am pst

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Cowcaster posted:

if it makes you feel better i literally just said 1pm est and still had to double check with google to make sure that lined up with 10am pst

Same, my brain got extra confused because I'm usually CST but today I'm in EST. I know there's no functional difference but it's still made me go "an additional hour? ughhh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
For those who really wanna know spoilers, a link was in discord of a txt file with them.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/283680756159741953/481938469514641409/Godhome.txt

It’s probably not complete since its just one persons notes.