Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I was also told by PERSEC people not to put "I have S/TS/L/Q clearance" on your resume because it makes you a target. Which is true, It makes you a target... for earning bank. Just don't put what SAPs you were part of and its vague enough. Plus anyone reading your resume for experience can put two and two together.

But they do have a point because that's their job as personal security etc.

Sounds like you'll have two years left before the original clearance investigation expires, which means granting clearance at a new job is very simple. Renewals are also much easier than going through the process again.

I've been going through the process again, even though technically my original investigation only hits the 10 year point this year. This all because the DOE isn't directly analogous to DOD clearance, so when I worked a DOE internship they had to submit a new investigation, which never got completed, so now i'm back in the DOD house and have a new investigation from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So what happens if your clearance expires when you're still in? My end of it was done but my digital signature was screwed up so I thought it better not to sign it like that. Then it turns out that the guy who handles that stuff for the wing is out on medical or something and no one knows who to call.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I knew one E-6 who had that happen in my unit, I think it made him non-deployable until he got it fixed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EBB posted:

I knew one E-6 who had that happen in my unit, I think it made him non-deployable until he got it fixed.
I just got back from a deployment so that's not a concern.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
School hasn’t even started yet and we’ve already got our first reply all to an email.

Some things never change.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just finished my first 200 page book and write a 20 page report on it weekend!

My brain wants to throw up.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

And my professor has two goddamn doctorates in his field so its not like you can bullshit your way through.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Just sent an email to the regional AFROTC office to figure out if it’s a bad decision worth making.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cenen posted:

Just sent an email to the regional AFROTC office to figure out if it’s a bad decision worth making.

Do you also email the used car salesmen to get their opinion on the car you want to buy?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Woops, completely forgot to submit my Certification form to our certification person until today. I feel bad.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Well, this semester is going to be fun. Just found out my electronics fabrication class gives me IPC J-STD-001F and Space Addendum Certification, and that I get to gown up and go into the Clean room twice a week to solder components using a microscope!

Silver lining is that once I get good, there are tons of companies that will shower me with money in order to solder their tiny poo poo.

The good news is that it is Yoga Pants season.
The bad news is that I have to quit caffeine and work on my fine motor control...

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Knock back a few beers after your coffee to even you out.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Also smoke a little weed after the coffee but before the beer

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Also smoke a little weed after the coffee but before the beer

I missed the horrible advice, thanks guys!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Some LSD will help alleviate the inevitable eyestrain.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
LSD when used appropriately is an amazingly effective drug.

What I’m saying is: If you can, drop acid whenever the chance arrives.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Acid was super helpful for me

Edit: but also make sure you leave when you find your answers. Dont get lost.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

LSD when used appropriately is an amazingly effective drug.

What I’m saying is: If you can, drop acid whenever the chance arrives.

:agreed:

poo poo did/does a lot to help my chronic depression. Plus it’s just loving fun.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So, class starts on the 4th. A week or so ago I got a letter in the mail:

No idea what the gently caress they were talking about, but luckily I was vacationing not too far from the regional education office. Talking to them, it turns out that they sent whatever letter they refer to in that to my old address, but that one had no problem getting to my current one. I signed whatever document they needed, and they said they would expedite everything. So, now I'm in the situation where I'm registered for classes which start on the 4th, but no money is moving around yet. I've called the VA about it every day and gotten no info from them. Not really sure what is going to happen. I've got to drive 1,100 miles to the school and then I guess couch surf until they figure things out and turn the money on? Anyone have any experience like this?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
While unfortunate that it didn't get to you, that's a common letter at least. You should be able to get it all sorted out eventually, hopefully before it causes further problems.

You have to elect to get Post 9/11 instead of your MGIB. Because MGIB still exists and there's still a very few limited cases in which it is still useful - like *some* Flight Schools. But you can't have more than one benefit entitlement, so you have to pick one or the other and the VA won't automatically do it without you telling them which one you want. It's dumb, but that's how it is.

I would just keep following up with the VA (ugh) and make sure you use words like "significant hardship" or similar things in your conversations with them. It used to be a magic word that would get you expedited++ but may not be the case anymore.

Also make sure your school's bursar office (and your certifying official if they're different people) know that you're most assuredly going to be paying, just that there's an issue with the VA that you've sorted out on your end and are waiting for them to get with the program.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I've talked to the school, and they don't seem to have any issues with anything. They know they're getting paid. It is an international school, however, which means I need a study and work visa before I can do anything, and one of the documents required by their government for the study visa is a statement of financial responsibility, which the VA hasn't gotten to me yet.

When I went to the VA office they just had me sign a paper saying that I'd be using my post 9/11.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A Bad Poster posted:

I've talked to the school, and they don't seem to have any issues with anything. They know they're getting paid. It is an international school, however, which means I need a study and work visa before I can do anything, and one of the documents required by their government for the study visa is a statement of financial responsibility, which the VA hasn't gotten to me yet.

When I went to the VA office they just had me sign a paper saying that I'd be using my post 9/11.

Which country? Often you can start classes and register as a student with immigration within a certain period after getting to the country.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
I just started an MBA program full time (two three hour classes) on Tuesday and a new job on Wednesday, so gently caress my life. Does it get easier? I wanted a perfect GPA, but I do not think that will happen. I am exited though, it is nice to be occupied after getting out and just applying to jobs for two months.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Which country? Often you can start classes and register as a student with immigration within a certain period after getting to the country.

Canada. The foreign student liaison at the college said something about how since I'm from the US all I would need is my acceptance letter and valid passport, but didn't know for sure. Everything on the Canadian government's website says to go through the normal channels which takes months.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A Bad Poster posted:

Canada. The foreign student liaison at the college said something about how since I'm from the US all I would need is my acceptance letter and valid passport, but didn't know for sure. Everything on the Canadian government's website says to go through the normal channels which takes months.

I went through a very similar experience recently, driving myself crazy because this foreign government's immigration website said I needed to have paid tuition before traveling, but the school hadn't given me a bill yet... and all I can tell you is listen to the student liaison. You're going to Canada, not Iran. You're an American, goddamnit. No one's going to stop you at the border. Do everything you can before you leave, but I guarantee you're not the first person to have had this problem. They might even accept evidence that (1) you're eligible for GI Bill money and (2) you've applied for it, together with recent correspondence you've had with the VA, as proof that the money's on the way. The Canadian government is not first and foremost concerned with whether you'll pay tuition (that's the school's problem), but whether you'll be homeless—so bring bank statements and something showing where you plan to stay.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 25, 2018

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I went through a very similar experience recently, driving myself crazy because this foreign government's immigration website said I needed to have paid tuition before traveling, but the school hadn't given me a bill yet... and all I can tell you is listen to the student liaison. You're going to Canada, not Iran. You're an American, goddamnit. No one's going to stop you at the border. Do everything you can before you leave, but I guarantee you're not the first person to have had this problem. They might even accept evidence that (1) you're eligible for GI Bill money and (2) you've applied for it, together with recent correspondence you've had with the VA, as proof that the money's on the way. The Canadian government is not first and foremost concerned with whether you'll pay tuition (that's the school's problem), but whether you'll be homeless—so bring bank statements and something showing where you plan to stay.

Yeah, that's what I'd gathered. I'll be staying with a buddy whose parents were pretty senior in their government, so I've got some cards up my sleeve.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a dream that I was still in school, and hadn't done any of the work this semester, and there was a week and a half left to try and salvage stuff.

Almost as fun as the dreams I had when I still was in school about a 5th class I hadn't been attending.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I had a dream that I was still in school, and hadn't done any of the work this semester, and there was a week and a half left to try and salvage stuff.

Almost as fun as the dreams I had when I still was in school about a 5th class I hadn't been attending.

In the last couple of weeks of my summer quarter I was having the 5th class dreams. Now I'm having the week and a half left to salvage poo poo dreams. Can't wait for the fall quarter to start so I can begin the cycle over again.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Casimir Radon posted:

shuddered a little reading this

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

I am still having nightmares about the Technical Math class I took last fall.
Is that bad?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Update on my Ohio State stuff for anyone that cares: I got accepted and my financial aid stuff got rated pretty quickly. My fafsa only gives $1500 a semester but the school gave me an automatic $3500 a semester grant that has made me very happy. With those together I can live on or off campus with or without a meal plan with no loans. I'm still eligible for a ton of scholarships that haven't been put out yet too.

Basically :hellyeah: I'm excited and happy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hell yeah, good to hear man. OSU started up on Tuesday for me after a very short break.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Had an early August start for USC (South Cal) virtual MSW program so, in week 4 right now. Way more intense than my MS in IT & Management program I did. The great kicker is that I'll make less than or equal to what I made before I started this. The only thing that has me bummed is that when I applied to the program the Yellow Ribbon for social work was unlimited and then after I got accepted found out they limited it to 10k with a 10k match by VA so, get to pay a bit out of pocket (after grant from the school) for spring and have to take summer off to let the academic year reset because gently caress paying for a semester out-of-pocket.

PS - Ewww Ohio

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Great thing about priority registration: don't have to worry about the waitlist.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Is there some thing happening where GI Bill will magically pay 9 extra months for STEM majors? It's something I heard through the grapevine yesterday, but wasn't sure if it's some far future thing or something I can actually utilize myself (ie to get another semester or two before my GI Bill runs out)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DownByTheWooter posted:

Is there some thing happening where GI Bill will magically pay 9 extra months for STEM majors? It's something I heard through the grapevine yesterday, but wasn't sure if it's some far future thing or something I can actually utilize myself (ie to get another semester or two before my GI Bill runs out)

There is a thing but it's very selective as far as I know.
https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIBSummaries.asp#111

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

That starts August 2019. :argh:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Started MSU Mankato this week. 12 credits, no scholarship.

Yay.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

There is a thing but it's very selective as far as I know.
https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIBSummaries.asp#111

Thanks for looking this up for me. Doesn't look like it applies to me, my program doesn't have a real crazy credit-hour requirement.
I have enough GI Bill to pay for this year and some summer field courses, but that's all I need to graduate, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I have this sort of online philosphy type course and it has a mandatory discussion board. The following post is a girl speaking of womens rights in the ancient old past of uh the 1700s and also some cool chuddery

"For your answer to number 4, it is hard to know if men and women were equal as we did not live in the same time as them we can only speculate and try to form an opinion based off of that information. How would each author know exactly how the tribes and early Europeans lived if they did not live it themselves? In your statement about Mills, Americans have definitely become more lazy and entitled, but that doesn't mean that one class is better than another."

it's going to be a long semester