Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
got Agapē Agape in the mail yesterday and i was expecting a 1000 page novel for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

got Agapē Agape in the mail yesterday and i was expecting a 1000 page novel for some reason

gaddis gets shorter as time goes on

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cross-posting from the recommendations thread:

quote:

I’ve decided I’m due to continue into Russian lit. Between the two, should I read War and Peace or Brothers Karamazov next?

-I will eventually read both.
-I’ve never read any Tolstoy.
-I genuinely enjoyed both Crime and Punishment and The Idiot.

Is one the clear choice if I’m looking for more philosophical/sociological than just story-telling?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Brothers karamazov. Be sure to pick up the Pevear & Volkhonsky translation and do not listen to any of the vile trolls in this thread

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CestMoi posted:

Brothers karamazov. Be sure to pick up the Pevear & Volkhonsky translation and do not listen to any of the vile trolls in this thread

I already have their translation of both so we’re good on that front.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
But seriously, War and Peace is a heaving slog and is the opposite of everything great about Anna Karenina and you should take a nice big poo poo on those P&V translations before setting them aflame.

I haven't recommended it yet because I don't like the book, but if you do end up reading War and Peace (which I guess you're kinda obligated to at some point), the Ann Dunnigan version is the one to get.

Edit:

Rolo posted:

Is one the clear choice if I’m looking for more philosophical/sociological than just story-telling?
War and Peace is literally interrupted by periodic lectures from Tolstoy directly to the reader about the subtext of the story he's telling, so I guess it fits that criterion.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 21, 2018

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Briggs is also a decent translation

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Norm Macdonald thinks the P and V translations are the best, and who am I to disagree with him?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I read Austerlitz and it was indeed a lot more to my taste than Rings of Saturn so cheers whoeversaid that itt maybe

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I read Austerlitz and it was indeed a lot more to my taste than Rings of Saturn so cheers whoeversaid that itt maybe

Now read Vertigo :getin:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Maybe some day. Now im raeding Splendeurs et misères des courtisanes

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Get thee away from Ball-sack

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
My preferred Sebalds, in order:

1. The Rings of Saturn
2. The Emigrants
3. Austerlitz
4. Vertigo
5. On the Natural History of Destruction
6. A Place in the Country

If there's more, I haven't read them. I haven't felt such a mania for a single author since I read At Swim-Two-Birds.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

But seriously, War and Peace is a heaving slog and is the opposite of everything great about Anna Karenina and you should take a nice big poo poo on those P&V translations before setting them aflame.

I haven't recommended it yet because I don't like the book, but if you do end up reading War and Peace (which I guess you're kinda obligated to at some point), the Ann Dunnigan version is the one to get.

Edit:

War and Peace is literally interrupted by periodic lectures from Tolstoy directly to the reader about the subtext of the story he's telling, so I guess it fits that criterion.

I absolutely loved both Crime and Punishment and War and Peace, for what it's worth. It didn't feel like a slog at all to me, but then again I don't mind the author being sidetracked by long speeches about philosophy, Great Leaders or the forces of History.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I just read Wittgenstein's Nephew and i recommend it if you want a nice short injection of Bernhard into your brain.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

...should take a nice big poo poo on those P&V translations before setting them aflame.

Ok, I know this gets argued a lot but what’s your take on the better one?

E: I like my kindle for large heavy books, looks like on this I can go P+V, Garnett, Avsey or McDuff.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 21, 2018

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

A human heart posted:

I just read Wittgenstein's Nephew and i recommend it if you want a nice short injection of Bernhard into your brain.

i thought it was pleasant, but then i decided to read dfw's afterward and it made me maddddd

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Tree Goat posted:

i thought it was pleasant, but then i decided to read dfw's afterward and it made me maddddd

critical error, my dude

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Tree Goat posted:

i decided to read dfw

well there's yer problem

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rolo posted:

Ok, I know this gets argued a lot but what’s your take on the better one?

E: I like my kindle for large heavy books, looks like on this I can go P+V, Garnett, Avsey or McDuff.
McDuff is the most accurate, but some of his word choices feel stuffy; Avsey and Garnett are both fairly liberal and read easily, but I would go with the Avsey out of those two. For some reason, I had thought that the Avsey translation was one of the more literal ones, but I must have been basing that on an uncharacteristic passage, because going back to it, it's definitely more liberal than I remembered (though a lot less so than the MacAndrew).

I don't know if there's a way to get the Magarshack translation (my favorite by a comfortable margin) on your Kindle, but if there isn't, it conveniently sidesteps the issue of size by being split into two unassuming Penguin paperbacks that are dirt-cheap online. :)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 21, 2018

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

i've been really enjoying elfriede jelinek's books

did anyone ever watch her lost highway opera?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Elman posted:

I absolutely loved both Crime and Punishment and War and Peace, for what it's worth. It didn't feel like a slog at all to me, but then again I don't mind the author being sidetracked by long speeches about philosophy, Great Leaders or the forces of History.

You would probably not mind Les Misérables then, if you haven't read it, as it puts big bold ticks all three of those boxes. Hugo rambles a lot about his views on society, and at one point apropos of nothing (from what I recall - quite a while since I read it) it includes an account of Hugo visiting the site of Waterloo, before turning into an account of the battle itself and Hugo's musings on the reason the outcome. Wonderful, wonderful book, though with a beautiful and compelling story.

I've not ready any Tolstoy, but I found Crime and Punishment to actually be quite snappily paced as novels of its ilk go, and definitely in comparison to Brothers Karamazov, which I remember enjoying but finding it tougher going. Would no doubt appreciate them better now, 20 years later, if I ever happened to get round to re-reading either.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I will never forgive Hugo for so breezily dismissing communism in Les Miserables.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

Fortunately my copy didn't have this disgusting American interloper's opinions in it

VileLL posted:

i've been really enjoying elfriede jelinek's books

did anyone ever watch her lost highway opera?

She's cool and her big mega book The Children of the Dead is finally coming out in English soon(next year i think although the snippets of info saying this online seem to have vanished so maybe it's delayed).

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

are you thinking of Wittgenstein's Mistress or did he literally write an afterword to both those books lmfao

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jeep posted:

are you thinking of Wittgenstein's Mistress or did he literally write an afterword to both those books lmfao

hey, (1) his afterword to WM was originally a journal article, (2) it freaking owned and remains to this day probably the most insightful and illuminating bit of ancillary matter I've ever read in a book that wasn't explicitly a "critical edition." He went to the mat for a book that no one had read and an author no one cared about, he didn't just wank over Don DeLillo's latest brick. And it wasn't a "look at this overlooked Art" puff-piece, either, it was an original and deeply personal analysis of a formally unique and difficult novel. Whatever you think about the man DFW (or his fans), he was no slouch as a scholar and his essay made a drat good afterword.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Jeep posted:

yes, i was talking about WM because i read it more recently than WN

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
also lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think I'll trust the take on Wallace's afterword from the guy who can spell "afterword".

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think I'll trust the take on Wallace's afterword from the guy who can spell "afterword".

sounds like u might want to read "authority and american usage" my friend

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm shaking my damned head.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Edit: dratèd

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tree Goat posted:

sounds like u might want to read "authority and american usage" my friend
Sounds like you're a little bitch.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

My preferred Sebalds, in order:

1. The Rings of Saturn
2. The Emigrants
3. Austerlitz
4. Vertigo
5. On the Natural History of Destruction
6. A Place in the Country

If there's more, I haven't read them. I haven't felt such a mania for a single author since I read At Swim-Two-Birds.

I wish he would have lived a little longer :saddowns:

e: Campo Santo is not on your list, or his poetry.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Sounds like you're a little bitch.

this is water

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Is Golding's Pincher Martin good? I only have that and Vann's Aquarium here rn, but I'm not sure I want to fall into Mel's lizardman trap.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Burning Rain posted:

Is Golding's Pincher Martin good? I only have that and Vann's Aquarium here rn, but I'm not sure I want to fall into Mel's lizardman trap.

Do it pussy

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Just picked up Dictionary of Maqiao which is a book written as a series of dictionary entries that develop into a story through their amalgamation written by someone who claims to have never read Dictionary of the Khazars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hello. i am in the middle of satantango and it is V good. i'm also in poisonwood bible which is great fun
i also read tolstoy's resurrection because it was short. it was enjoyable.
i also read the castle and didn't 'get' it very much. thought it was mostly boring. maybe max really should have burned that one

okay bye.