Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Ya know, I had doubts going into the holo suite baseball game against the all-Vulcan team in DS9, but drat I was wrong. That episode kicks rear end. Solok is a a huge turd, and Ezri Dax is growing on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

All Vulcans(post Spock) are huge turds. I don't know if this is poor writing or what, but they all are snide and superior as heck.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well Spock was too, but he had the charisma to pull it off.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did you get to Pathfinder yet

I have not. But I googled it and saw the two sentence synopsis. WOULD YA LOOK AT THAT! It’s like I’m clairvoyant. Also yay more Barclay :)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Peachfart posted:

All Vulcans(post Spock) are huge turds. I don't know if this is poor writing or what, but they all are snide and superior as heck.
I agree, Tuvok's great

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brawnfire posted:

We tried Captain, but someone's locking us out from the bridge. Some kind of subsystem encryption lock. I'm trying an access reroute through the secondary relay manifold but so far I'm having no luck; it seems to be adapting to everything I try, like it's some kind of multiphasic algorithm subroutine. Some kind of.

Let me guess, it'll take you 8 hours to fix it? You've got 4.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does anyone know why CBS put an ad for the TNG Blu Rays on... The TNG Blu Rays? Thanks CBS, I am aware of the existence of this thing I am sitting down to watch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Whalley posted:

I agree, Tuvok's great

"Come with me. I want to show you something. These are Keela flowers. They're beautiful and remarkably strong. The stem is flexible. It's impossible to break. But, occasionally, on the same plant, there's a bloom whose stem is not so flexible."

"You're saying that the Maquis crew is rigid and inflexible, that they will never adjust to Starfleet rules."

"No, Mr. Vulcan. I'm saying that you are rigid and inflexible."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

:eyepop: awesome!

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Peachfart posted:

Well, Spock isn't a true Vulcan. :agesilaus:
But yeah I think it's intentional if you consider Sarek, the Enterprise, TNG, DS9 and Voyager Vulcans. Even Tuvok who seems to be a rather moderate Vulcan can be rather snide and upfront about Vulcan "superiority" (same is obviously true for T'Pol).

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

LinkesAuge posted:

But yeah I think it's intentional if you consider Sarek, the Enterprise, TNG, DS9 and Voyager Vulcans. Even Tuvok who seems to be a rather moderate Vulcan can be rather snide and upfront about Vulcan "superiority" (same is obviously true for T'Pol).

Much like white people, Vulcans feel entitled to their superiority for non-justifiable reasons, and don’t even realize when they are being condescending

That being said Tuvok is great and I sort of enjoy when Vulcans are secretly sassy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No secret about it they just sound so logical when they do.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I made it years ago for the Voyager thread in GBS. If you like it and have more money than sense, feel free to buy it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 21, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I actually have very little of either, unfortunately.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

DrNutt posted:

Does anyone know why CBS put an ad for the TNG Blu Rays on... The TNG Blu Rays? Thanks CBS, I am aware of the existence of this thing I am sitting down to watch.

Are they at least for a different season than the one you were watching? "Well, I was only going to buy season X, but season Y looks so good I'll have to buy it too" - the marketing department's fantasy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Are you sure it didn't download the trailers straight from the Internet? Because that is a thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really liked this warp effect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If Beyond had been the first film (somehow), people would have been a lot kinder to the Kelvin timeline films.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

If Beyond had been the first film (somehow), people would have been a lot kinder to the Kelvin timeline films.

The film that was closest to it's source material is the one that everybody likes, who'd have thunk it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman should be kept away from film or television productions at all costs.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Is the entire season of STD worth $10 to watch once? Because apparently the ad free all acces tier is coming to Amazon channels.

Also apparently the "ad free" has this little asterisk "select shows have promotional interruptions." Is STD one of these "select shows"?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

God I wish somehow Simon Pegg was the new Head Of Star Trekking rather than Kurtzman.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Also apparently the "ad free" has this little asterisk "select shows have promotional interruptions." Is STD one of these "select shows"?
I don't actually know the answer and yet somehow I do

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

8one6 posted:

Is the entire season of STD worth $10 to watch once? Because apparently the ad free all acces tier is coming to Amazon channels.

The ad free tier has been on Amazon channels since the beginning of this year and I have no idea why all the tech blogs acted like it was a new thing. ST:D had no ads when I added all-access to my amazon account back in January.

The change is that the cheaper one WITH ads is also now available.

At this point, if all you want is ST:D, I think I would wait for Season 2 to be out there and hit them at once.

I'm treating all-access as a thing that I might subscribe to for a month or two out of the year. I just need to wait for it to build up programming (not just Star Trek.) 'No Activity' was hilarious and I'm interested in the new Twilight Zone they are eventually going to launch.

One huge huge advantage with subbing to all-access over amazon vs the normal method is increased quality. The amazon streams are 1080p rather than 720p and they have DD 5.1 sound instead of PCM two channel.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 22, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

"No Activity" sounds like your viewing history on All Access when Star Trek isn't on.

And/or your sex life.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

LinkesAuge posted:

Again, Maquis Vulcan Lady was pretty cool. As was Vulcan ensign dude from the TNG lower decks episode, who just wanted to help out his friends and boss as much as possible. Maybe the problem isn't Vulcans, maybe the problem is Vulcans in any position of authority, it seems to go straight to their heads.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tuvok was cool and his authority earned. He took counsel and considered others opinions too.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bull3964 posted:

'No Activity' was hilarious and I'm interested in the new Twilight Zone they are eventually going to launch.

I'm sure it will be as bland and forgettable as The last few times they tried to relaunch the Twilight zone.

I don't know what it is but they've never been able to capture even a 10th of the surreal and absurd horror and creepiness of the original any time they try. I'm sure this new one will be no different.

Has any episode of the other revivals ever become part of the public consciousness, or even been memorable?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think Tuvok is a pretty cool guy, eh kills Nellix and doesn't allow his emotions to cloud his judgement

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm sure it will be as bland and forgettable as The last few times they tried to relaunch the Twilight zone.

It's being done by Jordan Peele.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman should be kept away from film or television productions at all costs.

Kurtzman's track record is lovely enough that so long as he's in charge of Star Trek nobody should be expecting any quality material

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know what it is but they've never been able to capture even a 10th of the surreal and absurd horror and creepiness of the original any time they try. I'm sure this new one will be no different.

Has any episode of the other revivals ever become part of the public consciousness, or even been memorable?

I don't really remember any of the 2000s one, but I definitely know I watched it. Lots of it felt like "here's a weird twist you didn't see coming!!!" when the success of the original Twilight Zone came from "here's putting a fine point on that feeling of unease you viewers have about certain societal trends!" That's why Black Mirror knocks it out of the park for me, it takes those things at the back of your mind and says "Let's really drive it home!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tom Guycot posted:

The Disney ride was pretty good.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bull3964 posted:

It's being done by Jordan Peele.

I heard good things about that movie of his, though I haven't seen it. Still, maybe he'll do it right, but I remain sceptical.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tom Guycot posted:

I heard good things about that movie of his

Yes, the Oscar winning Get Out.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Tom Guycot posted:

I heard good things about that movie of his, though I haven't seen it. Still, maybe he'll do it right, but I remain sceptical.

Get Out is the best horror movie in decades.

Everyone should see it. Everyone.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'm not a horror movie fan and I thought Get Out was fantastic. It's just drat good filmmaking.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Based on Key and Peele's sketch comedies, Peele can absolutely get that creepy tone. He just has to play it straight instead of for a goof.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cat Hatter posted:

Are they at least for a different season than the one you were watching? "Well, I was only going to buy season X, but season Y looks so good I'll have to buy it too" - the marketing department's fantasy.

No it's the complete series. It's just a generic ad that looks like from when they were first starting the remasters and letting people know about.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Are you sure it didn't download the trailers straight from the Internet? Because that is a thing.

Uh, not sure? It shows up as 1/2 things I have to skip with R1 before getting to the menu, with 2/2 being like a middleware logo for whatever digital mixer poo poo they're using.

Obviously they're easy enough to skip I'm mostly just wondering why they wouldn't be trying to sell me something else, like TOS Blu Rays or DS9 DVDs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Get Out is the best horror movie in decades.

Everyone should see it. Everyone.

Yeah, that's what I mean I heard good things. I just can't watch that kind of horror film.