Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Vote that we take Dome, name it Helix. That makes everybody happy, right? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

dotchan posted:

Vote that we take Dome, name it Helix. That makes everybody happy, right? :)

It sure makes me happy.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The only thing I don't like about Fire Red is that it came out just before the Physical/Special split.

So it's hard to go back to.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

The only thing I don't like about Fire Red is that it came out just before the Physical/Special split.

So it's hard to go back to.
Yeah, that's my main problem with FR too.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I will be glad to forever leave it behind soon enough. Adding in the really meh movepools a lot of Pokemon have and the limited TM options, it's just a rough time if you want to use some cool new Pokemon, since a lot of them are pretty drat rubbish! Seyser is getting a nice team so far, at least there's plenty more mons to use.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Dome has a pretty commanding lead, but I'll leave voting open for another day just in case there's a sudden barrage of readers. (I'm being optimistic.)

I also have no idea what the Helix joke is.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its a reference to the twitch plays pokemon game from a few years ago
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/twitch-plays-pokemon

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Dome turns into the cooler looking pokémon.

It's cool reading about the experience of someone who has no idea what to expect from this game, I really like that you don't even know what some of the animals look like.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Grimer is not covered in oil he is a big pile of toxic sludge that came to life and he is my friend and I love him.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Nobody's come rushing to Uzumaki's rescue, so I guess we'll declare DOME the winner and I'll go ahead with playing the next leg of the journey. Wish me luck!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The Mistakes Caused by Youth

Dome wins the vote by an overwhelming margin. Super Nerd promptly pockets the other one.

Wait, that's it? I was expecting it to hop into our roster as an undead skelemon or something.

Maybe I have to use it first.

...How are you watching this? On second thought, don't answer that.

The nerd helpfully tells Kat that the Pokemon Lab waaaay on the other side of the map is doing experiments in re-fleshifying fossils. I guess I won't be picking a name anytime soon after all.

Right behind the fossil roadblock, we go up a couple ladders, and...

Sunlight! Freedom! Praise be! :pray:

According to the map we're about halfway to Cerulean City. Hopefully Route 4 isn't packed with trainers like Route 3 was...

A short way beyond we run into these two martial-artsy dudes. One guy wants to teach MEGA PUNCH, the other wants to teach MEGA KICK.

A bunch of my people can learn it, but I think I'll level a few of them up a bit first to see what my options are.

Just past them is another TM, just lying out in the open.

I guess Roar could be situationally useful, but nobody in my group can learn it. You'd think at least Jigglypuff would have the chords for it.

The path east from here is divided up into these terraces. I can hop down onto the lower level, but I don't see any apparent way to get on the top level and talk to the girl there.

I jump down and immediately run into a literal snake in the grass. Into the ball he goes!

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you run across a cute snake, name it Noodle. Also use it for a bit, snek doesn't get enough love.

You got it! Just as soon as I get to a Pokecenter, anyway.

I poke around in the grass for a bit more, but just run into some rats.

Thankfully, Cerulean City is only a short walk beyond. Route 4 was pretty painless, considering.

I'm still not sure if compiling a Pokedex is supposed to be a pastime for kids or an actual serious undertaking. You'd think a real Pokemon encyclopedia would've been made a dozen times over, but Oak acted like it was his life's dream, implying that it was unique. Eh.

Just inside the city limits is a bike shop. Being able to ride quickly past infested areas sounds pretty nice.

...But not at that price tag. Yeesh. Can you even get a million P-Bills?

This sign here (welcoming us to the city, in the middle of the city) is a little ominous. You know what glows blue? Radiation.

In the Pokecenter everybody wants to talk about some guy named BILL who collects rare Pokemon.

I guess we should go see him, although he's implied to maybe not be on the up-and-up. We don't have anything rare, though, so it's not like he'd try anything untoward with us. Right? Right?

I shift my order around a little bit to bring in some fresh blood. I need to take a leveling break at some point.

This kid directs our attention to the south edge of the town...

...Where this one Pokemon blocks access to a tree while its trainer unsuccessfully tries to get it to do... anything. A quick search of the area confirms that this is the only way south, so it looks like this is another "old man needs his coffee" situation. We'll be back later. Hopefully after we learn how to CUT things.

There's not much of interest in most of the houses, except for one with this guy going on about berries. If I play along, maybe he'll tell me something good!

:sigh: Kat's not a very good liar.

The east edge of town is blocked off by a wall of hedges, ending at this house, which was recently the site of a burglary. That nefarious Team Rocket is at it again! Not to worry, though, the police are on the

:doh:

I'd almost give the Rocket goon some grudging respect for trolling the cops like this, but even money says he's still in mid-crime and doesn't even realize there's a policeman guarding the other door of the house.

At any rate, this house looks like it's blocking access to the east exit from town. That leaves just the bridge to the north...

...Where we run into Kaz again.

It's time to show off our respective collections the only way we know how.

He's up to four Pokemon, and meanwhile my team is half composed of recent catches. And Flounder.

I'm guessing that's an evolved Pidgey. Suddenly we're really falling behind in levels.

I think I get lucky; the Pidgeotto uses Gust ("not very effective," even as it knocks off a third of Amuro's health) and immediately gets paralyzed by static, then is immobilized for the two turns Amuro needs to fry it.

With the Rattata (a new acquisition) we're on familiar ground. Aznable torches it in one shot.

Somehow Kaz's Squirtle hasn't evolved despite being higher level than Az. I swap Amuro back in rather than try a Fire vs. Water matchup, and it turns out pretty well.

Then there's this... this... what is that thing? Some kind of bipedal fox/lizard hybrid? Anyway, it tries to teleport twice (no telling to where) and doesn't succeed, then gets flattened.

That went well.

I guess the bridge leads to the famous Bill. According to Kaz, he developed the magic digital hammerspace that you use to store Pokemon when they're not in use.

Not if I smell you first, buddy.

Then, realizing he forgot something, Kaz comes back for some more trash talk.

...Huh.

Well, I guess he knows his own faults. Then again, he probably doesn't consider them faults.

It looks like the Fame Checker records things that people have said about other characters in the game. It's a pretty short list, right now. I'm not even sure who Daisy is (Kaz's sister?)

Monkey D. Luffy appears to be lying in wait further up the bridge, so I beat a retreat for the moment.

There's one other point of interest that I haven't visited yet, and there's no sense in putting it off any longer.

Looks like Kaz beat us to the punch again.

You again?

He tells us that Misty uses water 'Mons, as if the giant swimming pool wasn't a big enough clue. We don't have any grass types, but Amuro made short work of Kaz's Squirtle, so we should be able to do this. Right?

"I like speedos! They're delightfully comfy and easy to wear!"

His water Pokemon are adorable, but they both go down quickly to electricity. The "let Amuro kill everything" plan is looking pretty good.

Misty has one more underling than Brock did. When I think "water" I don't generally think "picnics," but whatever.

Oh hey, it's the worst Pokemon from Smash Brothers. Wait, Goldeen's a fish? I always thought it was some kind of crab. Probably because we always played the game on a crappy fuzzy television.

Amuro fries it pretty quickly, leaving just the big boss.

Hi there! :keke:

She asks us about our Pokemon philosophy. Do we really have one? Beyond just letting Amuro beat everything, of course.

Here goes!

It's a... starfish UFO thing?

Lightning seems to work on it, but not quite as well as I'd hoped.

That doesn't matter, because it spends a couple turns buffing.

I think we've got this.

It's a starfish UFO thing humping another starfish UFO thing. Okaaaay. I guess we'll just have to zap it twice as many times, and

:stare:

:v:

:gibs::gibs::gibs::gibs::gibs::gibs:

That's a funny way of saying "Kat borrowed a spatula and scraped the remains of her team off the walls of Misty's gym" but sure.

I think I need to lie down.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Ah, Starmie. The first real hurdle of the remakes for everyone who didn't take Bulbasaur (The originals had Brock for Fire-only, because in the remakes, Charmander gets Metal Claw and can wreck face. Special mention goes to Yellow, where you had to take Pikachu, and could not in fact use the anime cheat of sprinklers to make Onix weak to your bullshit). It's a really, really, really nasty Pokemon, and most teams will absolutely not be ready for it without a little grinding up north. It's also your first real taste of a fully-evolved Pokemon on the other side, since Starmie is the end of its evolutionary line, with commensurate stats and a real wicked move pool.

If it makes you feel better, the Rival fight there tends to catch people off-guard, and a lot of people don't have teams ready-suited to deal with him (which is why he has a Squirtle and not an evolution; an evolution would make that fight REALLY hard).

The fossil will come up again way later. Just remember that you have it.

Abra is a weird psychic fox. I assume it is a fox, anyway, because it has the fox eyes and something something Japanese fox spirits.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the other hand, regarding Rival's team, that's a lvl 16 Abra, so that fight could have been a lot nastier if Rival wasn't bad at this too. :v:

And yeah that Starmie is incredibly vicious, even with the not terribly great moveset Misty has on it. There's just very little that actually resists water moves, and Starmie hits incredibly hard with them.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

WampaPartyEX posted:

The originals had Brock for Fire-only, because in the remakes, Charmander gets Metal Claw and can wreck face.

Except even in the originals you could stomp all over Brock just with Ember, because all fire moves were special and his pokemon had absolute garbage special stats. You just needed a few potions on hand. Starmie, though... nothing's gonna save you there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was really hoping you'd encounter Misty's Starmie this update. :allears:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That's a very authentic match against the second gym. Misty does not mess around.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Somehow Kaz's Squirtle hasn't evolved despite being higher level than Az.

You can hold back an evolution. Press B during the animation.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember that there were wild Abra in the upper area and trying to catch one was kinda annoying.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:allears: Starmie is a monster, it's one of the more powerful and useful Pokemon across generations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

You can hold back an evolution. Press B during the animation.

Yeah, but does Kaz strike you as the type to pass up on a new Pokemon?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well guess you should get those tutor moves on Route 4. They're pretty strong and a good way to do damage to Misty!

No one tell him

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

But first, we run back to Pewter City and select a profile. And by "select" I mean we use the only suggestion we received.

It took a little wrestling with the options the game gives you, and I couldn't find a "Bravery" or "Courage" synonym, so this will have to do.
This is extremely belated but I, uh, was commenting on the game preventing you from using DON'T GIVE UP SKELETON :v: Sorry.
Maybe STAR FISH SAD THIS IS IT! would have been more prescient of me. That was gruesome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recommend going across that bridge before you take on Misty.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That's a very authentic match against the second gym. Misty does not mess around.
Can confirm, Misty's Starmie wiped the crap out of my team the first time around as well.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I recommend going across that bridge before you take on Misty.
I'd second this recommendation, and maybe look for a team member that resists Water Pulse. Barbra's an okay choice if you level it up some.

This is the second part of why Charmander is the game's "hard mode", Bulbasaur and Squirtle can take on Brock and both of them resist Water Pulse.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 25, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember that there were wild Abra in the upper area and trying to catch one was kinda annoying.

It's not just you. Unless you put it to sleep or paralyze it or something, Abra is incredibly hard to catch.

OP, if you do catch an Abra, it's Lalah, please.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And the best part? That Starmie was actually slightly worse in the original Gen 1. No special split and it used a slightly stronger attack. It isn't by much, but that Water Pulse is actually a step down from Bubble Beam.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Patter Song posted:

It's not just you. Unless you put it to sleep or paralyze it or something, Abra is incredibly hard to catch.

OP, if you do catch an Abra, it's Lalah, please.

It's easier to say you're going to catch an Abra than actually catch one.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Going north of Cerulean could certainly help for this fight in multiple ways. Levels for one, along with several new pokemon.

Omnicrom posted:

And the best part? That Starmie was actually slightly worse in the original Gen 1. No special split and it used a slightly stronger attack. It isn't by much, but that Water Pulse is actually a step down from Bubble Beam.

Not necessarily sure I agree. Yeah there's an incredibly tiny power difference between the two, but the rider on Water Pulse is far nastier for this fight than the one on Bubble Beam (because nothing's outspeeding Starmie at this point in the game) - and it's more likely to trigger. The Special point stands, though Starmie's SpDef is fairly decent anyways.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I vote you just powerlevel Pikachu for the rematch.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
When I played Pokemon Yellow on the GBC I just made my starting pikachu crazy buff. We went around shocking pidgeys in the grass until he was huge.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Azza Bamboo posted:

When I played Pokemon Yellow on the GBC I just made my starting pikachu crazy buff. We went around shocking pidgeys in the grass until he was huge.

You also get Bulbasaur in Cerulean but I don't remember what the prerequisites are for that.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I actually vote you don't powerlevel Pikachu. I want to see it done another way.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I actually vote you don't powerlevel Pikachu. I want to see it done another way.

I mean, your options outside that are rather limited. There are exactly three pokemon obtainable at this point that actually resist Water attacks (if you didn't start with Squirtle or Bulbasaur), with one only usable with power leveling (and the other two aren't so hot either without that), and outside of those there are very few that have a tolerable enough Special Defense to actually take a hit or two if you aren't power leveling.

Status effects are of course an option, but that can be both RNG-based and tedious, and basically boils down to just sleep or paralyze. Poison in particular isn't very useful for reasons, and it's immune to burn due to typing.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Ah I probably could have gone with a more contemporary reference when naming the Paras, like Joel or Ellie instead, but you'll see when it evolves why I would have proposed something like that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is a really charming LP so far. It's fun seeing a blind attempt at this game. That Starmie fight brings back memories.

Seconding the idea that you should go back to the bridge. If nothing else, more trainers equals more experience for your guys, and maybe there will be some new buddies to find up there!

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I was really fortunate deciding to pick Bulbasaur during my very first run 20 years ago.

Starmie was tough but fell eventually to Leech Seed.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
It's funny how in the show Misty's Starmie rarely fought and more often than not went down quickly while Staryu was the real rear end-kicker of her team.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well, the show refused to allow evolved Pokemon to have nice things. Ash's Pikachu refused to evolve, and most of his other evolved Pokemon either stopped listening to him, left, or both.

It's probably because the final forms (usually) aren't nearly as cute as the basic forms.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SirSamVimes posted:

I was really hoping you'd encounter Misty's Starmie this update. :allears:

Yeah, as soon as he entered the gym I knew exactly how the update was going to end and was not proven wrong. It's almost like I'm 8 again, really, from seeing how Starmie just swept effortlessly.

Although I forgot that it was Water Pulse here that was her special move. That's definitely meaner than what it was originally, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
In retrospect, it really is kind of ridiculous to have that kind of brickwall of a Level 21 fully-evolved Pokemon this early in the game, let alone Starmie (which is one of the very best), and to give you basically no real options to tank Water Pulse if you didn't pick Bulbasaur without significant grinding.

EDIT:

I just checked Bulbapedia, and FireRed gives Misty's Starmie Recover and Rapid Spin to counter Leech Seed :wtc:

Yeah, this battle is WAY harder than in the original.
Water Pulse while only slighter weaker than Bubblebeam, is still worse b/c being hit with Confusion is a wasted turn at best usually and at worst means you're basically already dead.
In the original Red/Blue Starmie only had Tackle, Bubblebeam, and Water Gun (lol).
Yellow slightly "buffed" Starmie by giving it an extra move (Harden), which is really a significant nerf because any turn Starmie wastes buffing its defense is a turn you're getting hit by Bubblebeam.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 1, 2018