Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Pokemon is a series of some minor fame about catching monsters. Lots of people have played it and know everything about all the games, the characters, the poke-critters.

I'm not one of those people. I'm going to play the game blind.

Wait, really?

Yup!

Well, to be more accurate I played the blue version for a bit about 20 years ago, but not too far into the game my entire team got eaten by bats and that was it. I haven't really touched the series since, so all I really know is that there's a Pokemon named Pukachu who throws up on you. I learned that from The Tonight Show.

So, having retained nothing about the game's mechanics beyond that you catch animals and make them fight other animals, I'm going to fumble my way through it until I get to the end, and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way. I figure that's about as close as I can get to recapturing the spirit of playing the game as a child.

Maybe I'll only last a couple updates. Maybe I'll play through the whole series.

SPOILER POLICY: There isn't one. I'm guessing everybody reading the thread knows way more about the series than I do, so stifling conversation by forbidding people to talk about things seems counterproductive. My eyes glaze over when people start talking about game mechanics, so you won't have to worry too much about spoiling me. Attempts at backseating probably won't affect me either by the same token.

You guys know what the upcoming critters are, so shout out nickname suggestions, in bold if possible. I'm going to try to catch as many as possible without needing to do weird trading shenanigans, so if I see a name I like I'll use it. Otherwise I'll have to improvise. Or just name everything Sergeant Dongs.

I played the Blue version back in the day, but now I'll use one of the GBA remakes on the basic assumption that it'll improve on the originals. Is that a safe assumption? I don't know. I guess we'll find out.

1. Welcome to FIRE. RED.
2. A Rough Start
3. They Said This Version Took Out the Bugs
4. You Make Me Brock Hard
5. Let's Never Mention This Route Again
6. Goddamned Bats
7. The Mistakes Caused by Youth
8. Abra Cadaver
9. I'm Becoming... Brundlemon
10. Slay Misty for Me
11. You Cut Me Deep, Game
12. I Want To Ride My Bicycle, I Want To Ride My Bike
13. what the heck is a codec
14. Revenge!
15. Garbage Picking
16. He'll Con Until Everything That's Yours Is His
17. Okay, These Coffee Strikes Are Getting Ridiculous
18. The Biking Woman and the Sea Serpent
19. They'd Have Greater Life Expectancy If There Was a Gym Here
20. We're Never Going to Saffron, Are We
21. Nobody Tell Him
22. I Hate White Rabbits
23. This Is How I Win
24. The World's Worst Gangsters
25. I Ain't Afraid Of No Skull Bone Lizard Thing
26. Listen Up, Fat
27. Sequence Braking
28. A Good Rod Isn't Actually That Hard To Find
29. Koga, Grand Hokage of the Ninja Circus

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Welcome to FIRE. RED.

The game starts us off explaining basic JRPG concepts to us. Very considerate.

Professor Oak here tells us about the world of 'Mons. The poor guy doesn't realize that if you have to tell yourself your nickname is affectionate, it probably isn't.

Character creation time! We're rolling a girl.

Some force was compelling me to name her Ashley, but my willpower triumphed in the end. Our name is Kat. Short for Katrina. Or Katyusha. I forget which.

Dude, he's your own grandson, how can you forget his name?

We need to come up with a suitably insulting moniker for our rival, against whom we've sworn a blood feud ever since that one time that he

...Or we can just pick that name, which fits too well. We are Kat and Kaz, plucky heroine and arch-nemesis.

:woop:

After this we metamorphose into a chibi JRPG character. All we can do in our room is read about Pokemon or play video games - on an 8-bit Nintendo. Kat might be a nerd, but she's a retro nerd.

Our mother is a little worrying.

She does tell us that Professor Oak wants to see us next door. Pallet Town consists of three houses, which is smaller even than the blink-and-you-miss-it towns around where I grew up in real life. "Pallet Unincorporated" doesn't have the same ring, though.

:argh:

You can look at stuff in the room, but to no effect. I did this for several minutes trying to prompt Oak's arrival, because I'm dumb.

Then I remembered that the logical thing for a preteen girl to do is strike out on her own, unaccompanied.

Of course, now he shows up. Screw you, old man! I can take care of myself!

It's no good, as he drags Kat bodily back to his lab.

I'm assuming Kaz is supposed to look like a jerk here, but considering that you can only find Oak if you, too, get tired of waiting, well.

Oak gives us the pick of the Pokelitter.

Given that we're playing the firey red version of the game, there's only one real choice.

Orange is close enough to red for me. :c00l:

Kaz goes ahead and chooses the water 'Mon, which I'm sure won't be a disadvantage to us in the near---

:doh:

Maybe if we growl menacingly enough we can intimidate Kaz into surrendering.

After a single Growl, tackling has us doing just slightly more damage than him.

A couple growls later, we're about to come out on top. True to his name, Aznable is fast enough to move before his opponent, which probably helps.

That Squirtle DIED for you, Kaz! Show some respect!

Promising to "smell us later" (jerk), Kaz leaves. We don't have much to do, and since there's only one way out of town, off we go.

Off to Route 1, which could stand to have a good lawnmowing.

Ravenous beasties lurk in the grass, but Aznable can handle them.

A couple rats later we learn to spit fire! :getin:

There are a couple people on the road, but they just give us gameplay advice.

And before long we're at Viridian City!

A nearby sign advises us to heal up at the Pokemon Center, but there's no time for that. I have a destiny to fulfill!

:what:

Step over him, Kat! Hell, step on him! How will you maintain your supremacy over Kaz if you let a cranky old man stand (?) in your way!

Oh, whatever. I guess I'll stop in at the Pokemon Mart and see if they have any sweet Pokeswag to sell me. I swiped Kaz's lunch money when I beat him, and this way I won't have to lie about not having it anymore.

Instead the clerk immediately shanghais me into delivering a package to Professor Oak, meaning I get to go back the way I came. And he refuses to sell me anything afterward. I'm beginning to see why Kat's so eager to get out of the region.

Everybody else in town just gushes about how cool Pokemon are, but the kind lady at the Pokemon Center is willing to irradiate Aznable for me. Free of charge, even!

doo dee doo taking shortcuts back through route 1

Oak tries to defuse my ire over having to deliver his mail by complimenting my Pokeskills. It works. :gerty:

Then our buddy shows up. Why, Kaz! It's been... minutes!

Oak tells us to go record the data on every Pokemon in existence, which means we gotta catch 'em all, or something. This is his dream, which is why he's telling a couple of kids to go do it for him.

Kaz remains true to character, telling us where we definitely won't be able to get a map to show us our way.

Kaz's sister seems not to have gotten the memo. She gives us a free map! :toot:

Nothing else going on in Pallet Town, so it's back up the trail to Viridian City. I swing by the Poke Mart to stock up on healing and mon-catching items, and then

oh it's you

He's... unexpectedly helpful upon seeing our Pokedex. Maybe senior citizens should be required to be on a caffeine IV drip for the public good.

At this point it looks like we're all tutorial'ed out - we're free to capture some Pokemon of our own and strike out on our adventure for real! Maybe. We'll see. I don't actually remember.

Anyway, next time: I catch a rat. And possibly a couple other critters as well.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this seems like it'll be a fun LP

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I firmly believe that if you meet a cool bird (and if it's male) you should name it Larry.

Good luck with the LP, I hope you enjoy it :)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ooh, this will be a treat, this is a good game to start off with, or it at least feels that way, even if the Pokemon selection is pretty small. Still, feel free to use anything you find, so long as you fight a lot of trainers and have a lot of healing items, you'll be just fine.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Your screenshot quality could be better. I assume you're taking them off an emulator and then upscaling? With pixel games, there's an easy way to make the outcome crispy clean, and that is using no filter on them. But only if you double or quadruple the size exactly. Depending on the program you use, the option to do so may be hidden at different points - ask the Tech Support Fort for more advice!

Alternatively, try rescaling the emulator so you don't have to resize, or improve the way you take them in the first place. Again, tech support fort.

Apart from this, it's interesting that you seem to aim this at people who know about Pokemon, because honestly, that's probably 99.9% of your readers anyway. It's appreciated then that you cut out a lot of the smaller details which we all know about already, but I'd actually be happy to hear more about your thoughts - for example, why did you choose Growl in the first place? Many people (myself included) did try that the first time they played the game, saw that it did no damage and just tackled their way through everything. You had success using it, which is cool!

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Simply Simon posted:

Your screenshot quality could be better. I assume you're taking them off an emulator and then upscaling? With pixel games, there's an easy way to make the outcome crispy clean, and that is using no filter on them. But only if you double or quadruple the size exactly. Depending on the program you use, the option to do so may be hidden at different points - ask the Tech Support Fort for more advice!

Alternatively, try rescaling the emulator so you don't have to resize, or improve the way you take them in the first place. Again, tech support fort.
Looks like they're JPGs, when they should be PNGs.

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
Expected vagina in this thread. Sorely disappointed

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Weener Beater posted:

Aznable evolves into Bajeena, if that helps.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

If you meet a little caterpillar fella, you should name it Mothra.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You should catch a Pikachu and name it Amuro

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Be sure to check your PC storage for that free potion.

Also, name the pigmonkey Berserk.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah Charmander, you went straight for the high difficulty option.

Also, yes, I would say that the remakes are better than the original Gen I, especially if you're just starting out. Other than the obvious graphics update (which are great unless you care about nostalgia too much), the remakes fixed a lot of bugs.

You might've heard of the game-breaking bugs people use to hack the entire game - but those are actually unlikely to trigger during a normal playthrough. No, what I'm talking about is the little things, such as some NPCs and the manual telling you that type X is strong against type Y, except because of a programming bug it's actually the other way around. Original Gen I also has a bunch of moves that do the opposite of what they say or have a weird side effect which means you're just giving yourself a harder time unless you know what moves are bugged exactly.

The remakes fix all of that.

On the other hand, the little bit of extra new content they put in Fire Red isn't really worth it. Yes, it's a fun little extra but by itself it's no reason to buy the remake if you got the original.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Posting purely to support Charmander Aznable, a pun the internet already did to death that I still find hysterical.

Good luck, though. Charmander is, in fact, the roughest of routes. Fire always gets kind of shafted in Pokemon games, it's usually a subpar type with some of the coolest Pokemon in it, and most of the gyms it beats you can usually beat with better type advantage than "Fire/anything," while most of the gyms it loses to tend to be overwhelmingly obnoxious even without the weaknesses.

Also I'm in favor of running the Gundam name joke into the ground and naming everybody after various Zekes.

The rat should be Glemy Rattoto and that's all I'll throw out there.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

quote:

screenshot chat
Yeah, these were screenshots from VisualBoyAdvance, which spits out postage-stamp-sized screenshots regardless of window size. Then I scaled them to 640x480 .jpgs (mainly because that's what I did when I was LPing Super Robot Wars a couple years ago, even though there I was downscaling images).

I did a couple of other tests, for comparison:

640x480 JPG (from the previous post)

200% PNG, no filter

400% PNG, no filter

The 200% version is pretty clearly better, so I'll go back and swap out the images once I overcome my innate laziness.

Simply Simon posted:

Apart from this, it's interesting that you seem to aim this at people who know about Pokemon, because honestly, that's probably 99.9% of your readers anyway. It's appreciated then that you cut out a lot of the smaller details which we all know about already, but I'd actually be happy to hear more about your thoughts - for example, why did you choose Growl in the first place? Many people (myself included) did try that the first time they played the game, saw that it did no damage and just tackled their way through everything. You had success using it, which is cool!

My thought process was basically "hey, this ability exists, let's use it!" Then, since I spent a turn not attacking, it looked like I'd end up behind in the damage race unless I growled a couple more times. Kaz spent a couple turns lowering my stats instead, so it might not have mattered.

Weener Beater posted:

I actually thought about calling the thread "Let's blindly poke some men" instead and making that a running joke. But no.

WampaPartyEX posted:

Posting purely to support Charmander Aznable, a pun the internet already did to death that I still find hysterical.

I didn't even know this was a thing, so I guess we'll call it a lucky coincidence.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The 200% image looks much better, since you can also put two of them together if you want to convey a bit more.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
A Rough Start

Last time, the old man finally got out of our way, allowing us to continue. But first, let's finish checking out Viridian City.

Turns out there's not much to see. Most of the people just talk about how great Pokemon are. Right behind the old man is this tree, which is apparently impossible for a 10-year-old (?) girl to slip past, but it looks like some kind of reward lies behind it.

Next to the town's southern entrance is another tree barring access to a fat man, a much more dubious reward.

Nice graphics, though. Your reflection ripples when you sit and watch it. Bet they couldn't do that on the original Game Boy!

One house has this guy, who apparently hasn't thought of our technique: just cribbing names from giant robot anime. (His bird is called Speary, the little girl just says her dad's a poke-nut.)

Truth. Maybe I should just name them all DONGS001 through DONGS151.

A Gym is up in the corner, and apparently it's a source of some mystery? I guess gym leaders are a big deal.

Either way, we can't get in. Amusingly, you automatically turn and walk away after trying the door, causing Kat to take a flying leap off the little terrace behind her.

And that looks to be about it for Viridian City. Let's take a second to look at the map Kaz's sister gave us. It looks like our options are north to Pewter City or West to the Indigo Plateau. It looks like the westward road ends there, so we can head over, check it out, and come back before moving on our way to the rest of the region. Also the path is called Victory Road, which sounds like a good omen for our journey.

Things immediately get a bit rockier outside of town. There's some tall grass, but we pass through it without incident.

ohai

Kaz tries to save us some time, telling us that we need badges to get to the Pokemon League. That's actually pretty nice of him. Maybe we'll get along on this trip after

That's not a Squirtle. And it looks like he's been pumping up a bit.

OW.

Aznable's Ember still takes the Pidgey apart in a couple shots, earning a good chunk of experience.

...But we're not looking so hot for this next fight.

And for some reason Ember doesn't work on Squirtle. The Squirtle doesn't actually hit too hard, but even tackling isn't doing much damage either, so we're pretty much boned. A couple hits later, Az goes down.

Well played, Kaz. But this little game of ours isn't over yet. Oh no.

WAIT WHAT GIVE THAT BACK

:stare:

WHAT HOW I WAS PASSED OUT

...So that didn't go too well. Kaz just appeared out of nowhere without warning and his dudes were both higher level than me. And I wasted time spitting fire at a water 'Mon. At least healing is free (after you're dead).

So long as I've been relocated to the Pokemon Center, I'll mess with the PC a bit. SOMEONE'S PC looks like it's for digitally depositing your 'Mons. Somehow. Not that I can use it with just Aznable. I hope SOMEONE knows people are in his account.

My PC appears to be an item bank... and I have a free potion? Hopefully it doesn't actually belong to SOMEONE and he chases me down to get it back.

As for Oak's PC...

YES I KNOW AZNABLE LOST, YOU DON'T HAVE TO RUB IT IN

:argh:

...That's actually good advice. Almost like it's the point of the game or something. So we head back out on Route 22.

You. You will be first.

Az doesn't have any problem beating down the Rattata, but it still takes two balls to capture him.

Hard things, you say? Squirtles are hard. :getin:

WampaPartyEX posted:

The rat should be Glemy Rattoto and that's all I'll throw out there.

I had to squeeze it a bit, but there you go.

Soon enough our next acquisition appears... But I forgot to switch Glemy into the starter spot, so I have to waste a turn swapping him mid-battle.

The Mankey wastes a turn leering at us before attacking, but even then it's clear we have to switch Az back in.

In response, he gets a bit overexcited. :sigh: This might take a bit.

A couple fights later Glemy manages to bring one into capturing range...

But then it breaks free of the first Pokeball and punts him over the horizon.

Az fares better.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Also, name the pigmonkey Berserk.

Seems appropriate, although this one is female, so maybe it should be Berserka. Or Zerkina. Or Casca.

Berserk is promptly one-shot by this rear end in a top hat. We're stuffing the Spearow into a ball anyway, so hopefully she won't hold a grudge.

Kaz's bird is cooler than this one, so naming one Larry will have to wait.

At least Mankeys are no threat now. Beaks: a monkey's one weakness.

By the time Glemy learns a new move I figure it's time to test ourselves again.

uh

we just did this

at least remember humiliating me you jerk

He's still higher level, but we have more bodies to throw at him.

(Not pictured: the Rattata getting obliterated - again - by a crit from the Pidgey before FearDaBeak brings it down)

I put Az up against the Squirtle again, and this time we're both topped off. I don't growl this time, so it's a straight-up slugfest. I was expecting some kind of new water move, but no dice...

Even then, it's a close thing.

Luck had nothing to do with it, I just had twice as many guys and - you know what, just go away.

If you had time to dawdle, so do I, Kaz. :colbert:

I was expecting something a little more imposing than a white picket fence.

Nice columns, though.

And the interior decor is very Bowser's Castle. Minus the lava, I guess.

But sure enough, Kaz wasn't lying; we can't go any farther. What the heck is a BOULDERBADGE?

So, with that little excursion over, it's back to Viridian City. I guess we're heading north next time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

... You need to pick up on your exploring skills.

That item behind the tree next to the old man? You can get it by taking 5 steps towards Route 22 and then going north into the narrow path. You'll just reach it from behind.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
God this is actually funny as poo poo and it's great to see this perspective on things that I've taken for granted for decades.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
The Casca joke was excellent and you're a gentlefolk and a scholar.

Also gonna echo how neat it is to see this game from the perspective of someone actually playing blind. It's not an experience I could ever do, and it's not an experience any of the other LPs have been really capable of.

I continue to vote for mecha pun names and if you get a Pikachu I recommend PiKaichu because Kai is a rat.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A genuinely blind Pokemon playthrough seems like it'd be really entertaining, so I'll be following this for as long as it goes.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Imagining Glemy sailing over the horizon with a 'why me' expression made me laugh at work.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
They Said This Version Took Out the Bugs

One neat little feature is that when you reload a saved game, it gives you a brief summary of your recent activities. Although the game does seem to take a dim view of my victory over Kaz.

On we go! But first...

Carbon dioxide posted:

... You need to pick up on your exploring skills.

That item behind the tree next to the old man? You can get it by taking 5 steps towards Route 22 and then going north into the narrow path. You'll just reach it from behind.

No, see, you're supposed to wait until I figure out how to cut trees down. Then I come back to triumphantly claim my prize, only to realize that there was a path all along. And it'll be funny.

Anyway, sure enough, there's a path here, leading to... a potion. :geno: I feel underwhelmed.

Anyway, with VICTORY ROAD off-limits to us, heading north along Route 2 to Pewter City is the only option we have left.

Before long we (finally) run into a Pidgey. Catching it isn't too much trouble, although Berserk clearly needs to level up some.

Walrus Pete posted:

I firmly believe that if you meet a cool bird (and if it's male) you should name it Larry.
Alas, it's not male, so this is all we get.

Route 2 isn't very long at all, and before long we end up in this mini visitors' center, warning us that Viridian Forest lies just ahead. I guess this qualifies as the game's first dungeon? Does Pokemon have dungeons, per se?

Nice image at the beginning to set the mood, at least.

Right away we see that there's tall grass everywhere, and this guy at the entrance helpfully warns us that there are other Pokemon trainers lying in wait.

We get a couple new 'Mons almost immediately. Berserk gets into a slugfest with a Caterpie and comes out on top...

And then immediately follows up with a Weedle, which tried to poison her but didn't succeed.

VolticSurge posted:

If you meet a little caterpillar fella, you should name it Mothra.

There you go! I expect great things from you, little green dude!

Then there was this guy. Nobody suggested a name for the Weedle, so I had to improvise.

Weirdly, I only encountered these two Pokemon for the first ten or so fights. I know there are more critters in here than just these two.

There are some random goodies left around in here, although it seems limited to Pokeballs and potions. I was a little worried that this place would be a maze when there were two paths at the beginning, but the "wrong" path just leads to an item almost immediately.

Berserk also hits level 6 and learns how to kick her enemies in the junk.

Heading to the right, we see this sign advising you to keep off the grass if you don't want to be attacked. Thanks for the advice, signpost! I'd better stay off the grass and everything will be fi---

I don't think Rick knows what he's getting into, though. I've got a junk-kicking monkey and I know how to use it!

:what:

Apparently bugs are resistant to junk kicks. It must be that hardened carapace.

On the other hand, my Spearow's beak is more fearsome than ever.

:c00l:

YOU STARTED THE FIGHT YOU LITTLE fffaaaaAAAAARRRRGGGHHH :argh:

Just a little up the way we get jumped again. Suffice it to say that FearDaBeak is going to eat quite well today.

Although she does get poisoned. :ohdear:

We swap her out for Mothra, just in time for the trainer to bring one of these guys out, like a big chitinous punching bag. Hey, free experience!

A little further up the way we find an Antidote, which is convenient because guess what I didn't buy back in town?

And then up in the corner, yet another bug catcher picks a fight.

FearDaBeak eats them right up.

Well now I feel sort of bad. But I need the money! (Although if trainers are where you get money, does that mean there's a finite amount of cash in the game? That could get ugly.)

Anyway, moving on, now heading leftward across what I assume is the northern edge of the area...

This guy's team consisted almost entirely of Metapods, which basically meant free XP for Mothra.

:monocle:

YAY!

Eh.

This guy's surprisingly gung-ho about bugs considering that two-thirds of his evolved team were helpless in that fight.

My evolved Mothra at least retains the ability to tackle things, although he doesn't show it off too well, missing a lot of the time. This seems like the perfect design for some kind of predator, though. It can pose as an ordinary chrysalis until some unsuspecting prey comes along, then suddenly bodycheck it into oblivion. It could dominate the food chain.

At this point I just want to get out of here...

...But this kid gets a little too friendly.

With only one Weedle - albeit a higher-level one than the other trainers have used - he gets squashed immediately.

I'm pretty sure I picked up all your stuff earlier in the area, pal. Finders, keepers.

And just like that, we're out. As starter dungeons go, this place was pretty simple - although I lucked out by only getting poisoned once, I think. The north end of Viridian Forest has another little house on it.

I'm sure there's some theorycrafting about how it's most optimal to leave Pokemon X unevolved, but who has time to look into that? Not me, that's for sure.

Almost immediately upon leaving, it's Pewter City! What new foes await?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I'd never thought about how that one sign comes right before you get jumped on the path.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The early bugs are actually an argument for not evolving right away without requiring too much complicated mathcraft: an unevolved Pokemon levels faster, so you can get more levels out of the tiny bugs quicker before they turn into the cocoons. Then you can have them in the cocoon stage for just one level before they reach the point where they break out of it (I really don't think it's much of a spoiler that there's one more stage to a cocoon).

This does mean that they won't learn Harden because that's coded to be learned by a Metapod, Level 7 and not by a Metapod, when it evolves (not YET coded, at least), but you know, Harden :geno:.

If you catch the cocoons in the wild, they won't know Tackle and String Shot, by the way - they're supposed to just be able to get harder and nothing else. However, because the games aren't sophisticated enough to take attacks away, by evolving them from the caterpillars, you keep the offensive attacks. Designwise, they're not really supposed to move though.

...I do dimly remember an episode of the Anime from when I still watched it as a kid where the big surprise of a bug trainer was that his Metapod WAS able to tackle enemies, so maybe they acknowledged that anyway.

Also, you could definitely call the Woods the "tutorial dungeon" of this game, but it's weird to think of it like that. There's no real reason to not treat Pokemon like a typical JRPG, but it feels wrong at the same time. Much like nobody would call certain mandatory strong trainers you'll soon encounter "boss fights" or your Pokemon your "party members".

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Seyser Koze posted:

I'm pretty sure I picked up all your stuff earlier in the area, pal. Finders, keepers.

I think this is referring to a hidden item on the tile directly in front of him here, but I could be misremembering.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's also the fact that unevolved mons generally get moves earlier, but evolved mons have higher stats. So if you let a pokemon level up til it learns a certain move, *then* let it evolve it will have the same stats as if you let it evolve earlier but it won't have that extra move.

You can safely ignore all this in solo play though.

SilverFox442
Feb 23, 2017

Simply Simon posted:

The early bugs are actually an argument for not evolving right away without requiring too much complicated mathcraft: an unevolved Pokemon levels faster, so you can get more levels out of the tiny bugs quicker before they turn into the cocoons.

I feel obliged to correct you here, Pokemon level up at the same rate no matter what evolutionary stage they are.

That’s not to say there isn’t merit in having them spend as little time as the cocoons as possible, as their attack stat is actually worse than the caterpillars, but leveling rate is not the reason.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Huh, really. I thought it was by species, not line, but never bothered to check.

My life has been a lie!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

There are also some Pokémon that learn different moves depending on whether they're evolved. A few even stop learning moves entirely if they're evolved, in fact...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Boosted experience when you're an unevolved Pokemon past your evolution level is only a mechanic in the newer games. All that applies now are exp curves, which are consistent through evolutions.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dragonatrix posted:

I think this is referring to a hidden item on the tile directly in front of him here, but I could be misremembering.

Yeah, this is the first clue that invisible hidden items exist.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Boosted experience when you're an unevolved Pokemon past your evolution level is only a mechanic in the newer games. All that applies now are exp curves, which are consistent through evolutions.

That mechanic started in Gen VI, apparently. For this game there's simply 6 types of experience curve and every evolutionary line follows one of them. Here's a full list

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Seyser Koze posted:

Well now I feel sort of bad. But I need the money! (Although if trainers are where you get money, does that mean there's a finite amount of cash in the game? That could get ugly.)
It's funny you mention this, because this is legitimately an issue in the Gen 1 games. In the original games you couldn't re-fight trainers, and as such sources of money eventually dwindle to almost nothing. This was fixed in Fire Red/Leaf Green; you'll eventually get something that lets you re-fight trainers. If I recall right re-matches have higher Pokemon levels, so it's an actual fight and not just beating up everyone's low-level Caterpie/Weedle for lunch money.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 27, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

It's funny you mention this, because this is legitimately an issue in the Gen 1 games. In the original games you couldn't re-fight trainers, and as such sources of money eventually dwindle to almost nothing. This was fixed in Fire Red/Leaf Green; you'll eventually get something that lets you re-fight trainers. If I recall right re-matches have higher Pokemon levels, so it's an actual fight and not just beating up everyone's low-level Caterpie/Weedle for lunch money.

Well, you could refight the 'final boss' in the original Gen 1. And there were so much trainers (handing out a lot later in the game) that you REALLY had to try to run out of money.

Like, okay, if you used all your money to buy stuff to then throw away, and then made sure you had no pokeballs and had nothing left but some very weak pokemon that couldn't fight late-game trainers, THEN you could get stuck... well I suppose you still could grind against wild pokemon to level up, then do that rematch. You'd need a pokemon without attacking moves to get completely stuck.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Eh, when you lose a battle to a trainer, you lose the same amount of money that you would have received if you had won.
Between that and how expensive some late game healing items can be, (not to mention TMs and Vitamins that you can waste a lot of money on as a new player if don't know what exactly they do) then it's very easy to screw yourself over if you're bad at the game and lose to the final boss repeatedly.

Remember, this was the first RPG for a TON of young players.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

Eh, when you lose a battle to a trainer, you lose the same amount of money that you would have received if you had won.

I think you actually lose half your money in the earlier games. In the later games, the amount you lose is based on your party strength and level of plot advancement.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Sorites posted:

I think you actually lose half your money in the earlier games. In the later games, the amount you lose is based on your party strength and level of plot advancement.

I just looked it up, and apparently the generation 3 games are split. In this one you lose a reasonable amount, and Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald you lose half straight up. I have an annoying habit of saving before every battle and resetting if anything goes wrong, and this poo poo is why.

Edit: Also because I play the games like some sort of precise Fire Emblem experience point management simulator instead of just enjoying it. I would love to stop this.

magikid fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 28, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's fair to say that the defeat penalties aren't going to be all that relevant as a reasonable adult is unlikely to lose many battles.

But it occurs to me that that is probably assuming some experience in pokemon games so it'll be interesting to see how Seyser Koze does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

magikid posted:

Edit: Also because I play the games like some sort of precise Fire Emblem experience point management simulator instead of just enjoying it. I would love to stop this.

Please do.