Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

5 Mill seems like a bargain for a starting QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

5 Mill seems like a bargain for a starting QB

His salary goes up if he actually starts games, I think up to like 9 mil. Also it's not clear yet if he really is a starting QB, gotta see more. It would definitely be a risky move to pick him up now with the idea of maybe starting him over your current guy, but once someone goes down . . .

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/E60/status/1032304649372663809

LOL he's not even the best WR on his own team.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

A Man and his Hog posted:

Ok I’m not a doctor. But I’ve always wondered to myself, how does an injury like that happen?

He wasn’t even touched. The knee just completely shattered on its own.

Is it some just weird medical poo poo that just happens?

I'm guessing his ligaments were extremely weak due to a pre-existing condition. The doctor describes his knee as a hinge with only one side connected, which means a total tear of all the ligaments of one side of the knee. That just doesn't happen, especially on a routine dropback. Ligaments are built way tougher than that...unless they aren't. Genetics seems to play a factor.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress landry cheap shottin rear end

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vengarr posted:

I'm guessing his ligaments were extremely weak due to a pre-existing condition. The doctor describes his knee as a hinge with only one side connected, which means a total tear of all the ligaments of one side of the knee. That just doesn't happen, especially on a routine dropback. Ligaments are built way tougher than that...unless they aren't. Genetics seems to play a factor.

This could be, but it could also just be an extremely awkward plant of his back leg at the top of the drop. If you screw up, your cleats get caught and your knee is caught with pressure moving sideways and no way to bend, yes it could happen to anyone. One of my friends just tore her ACL when she fell down all drunk, it doesn't require as much force as you might think, just the right situation where the knee really has no option but to completely buckle sideways

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

a neat cape posted:

JOEY IS FINE

Foolishly
Injured,
Noisomely
Expired

Play posted:

This could be, but it could also just be an extremely awkward plant of his back leg at the top of the drop. If you screw up, your cleats get caught and your knee is caught with pressure moving sideways and no way to bend, yes it could happen to anyone. One of my friends just tore her ACL when she fell down all drunk, it doesn't require as much force as you might think, just the right situation where the knee really has no option but to completely buckle sideways

Tear your ACL, sure. Tear all of your ligaments completely in two so that your tibia is only attached to your fibia by a thin layer of skin? That takes a lot of force. Total knee dislocations are pretty rare.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vengarr posted:

Tear your ACL, sure. Tear all of your ligaments completely in two so that your tibia is only attached to your fibia by a thin layer of skin? That takes a lot of force. Total knee dislocations are pretty rare.

True, just wanted to point out that a lot of it is angles and weight so any planted leg can lead to an ACL tear even if there's no contact. His case definitely seems extreme and genetic differences or perhaps an unnoticed injury or weakening of the ligaments could be the cause.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/E60/status/1032304649372663809

LOL he's not even the best WR on his own team.

That’ll be answered this year. Curious if Miami held him back, as he simply loves to bring up

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Play posted:

True, just wanted to point out that a lot of it is angles and weight so any planted leg can lead to an ACL tear even if there's no contact. His case definitely seems extreme and genetic differences or perhaps an unnoticed injury or weakening of the ligaments could be the cause.

The other clue is how unexpected it was to the player and the team. Direct damage to a ligament usually leads to inflammation and pain, which is a major red flag. Teddy apparently went from “perfectly fine” to “leapt on a grenade”.

The ligament itself has no nerves, so if it is being wasted away by some condition, failure is the first visible symptom.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

We're all going to become amateur ACL doctors this season because gently caress that stupid ligament and its weak, poor design

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Bosa was Incognito's father all along

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1032361106558214144?s=19

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao

https://twitter.com/thetangiblec4/status/1032317182452092930?s=21

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pats cut Kenny Britt.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Good to see Madden showing some support for the special olympics

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They should kick the tires on T.O.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

Pats cut Kenny Britt.

Good.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vengarr posted:

They should kick the tires on T.O.

Legitimately more likely to succeed than Kenny Britt in TYOOL 2018

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Kalli posted:

Pats cut Kenny Britt.

who do they have left lmao

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So it turns out that Jimmy Smith suspension is due to "threatening and emotionally abusive behavior" towards the mother of his first child. Real nice

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

hope you're ready for chris hogan, top 5 wr in the nfl

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kenny Britt.....ain't poo poo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cordarerelle Patterson is gonna be a star

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
that wouldn’t surprise me, Patterson just needs his touches manufactured. he’s not great and making his own separation (though that move he put on the DB last week was fantastic) but his open field skills are amazing. scheme him open and he’ll create a lot of chunk plays.

plus he’s a very good all around special teamed. pair him next to a Hall of Famer like Matthew Slater? look out.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I thought Patterson had a lot of issues understanding offensive plays or something

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
that was the word out of Minnesota. he’s not a complete receiver by any means. but if you give him easy routes and use other players to make space for him, he can do a lot of damage.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Kalli posted:

Cordarerelle Patterson is gonna be a star

This time. For sure. No, really.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Kalli posted:

Pats cut Kenny Britt.

Big news when a FA like that hits the market

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I need an adult.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Reports are packers are shopping Randall Cobb. It's never too early to start Player X to New England rumors.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Jaguars have an embarrassment of riches as WR so I would love to see them get a late round pick for one of their guys that is likely to not be retained.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/1032396721349906432?s=19

Not too surprising if they're making a run for Mack but sad to see they might lose the prettiest eyes in the NFL

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Someone put this guy in the Event Horizon Hell dimension.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1032404904663494656

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vengarr posted:

The ligament itself has no nerves, so if it is being wasted away by some condition, failure is the first visible symptom.

Then why does it hurt when it tears?

Hot Diggity! posted:

https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/1032396721349906432?s=19

Not too surprising if they're making a run for Mack but sad to see they might lose the prettiest eyes in the NFL

This is a great way to annoy Rodgers even more. Gute must be really confident in our younger receivers -- though to be fair MVS and Kumerow have looked great. For a rookie and an UDFA, anyway.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Jaguars have an embarrassment of riches as WR so I would love to see them get a late round pick for one of their guys that is likely to not be retained.

They have a lot of receivers but I'm not sure I'd call it "an embarrassment of riches" because none of them are really proven. I think to get a trade you'd have to give up one of the better ones too, no one's gonna give up picks for Rashad Green or DeAndre Smelter (yes I looked those up).

Marquise Lee is the best receiver on that team and he was number 3 a year ago. At this time of the season, at least, most teams have more receiver picks and undrafted guys than they know what to do with

SKULL.GIF posted:

Then why does it hurt when it tears?

I'm only an ACL doctor on the internet but usually it doesn't and when it does it's probably the soft tissue damage that can result when it tears. Oftentimes it actually doesn't hurt at all which is how you have guys that don't realize it's torn until their knee starts buckling sideways (or they hear a loud POP and know that way). But with a catastrophic one like Teddy's the whole knee collapses and so there would be extensive damage to muscle and skin tissue that would hurt like all hell

Play fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 23, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Play posted:

They have a lot of receivers but I'm not sure I'd call it "an embarrassment of riches" because none of them are really proven. I think to get a trade you'd have to give up one of the better ones too, no one's gonna give up picks for Rashad Green or DeAndre Smelter (yes I looked those up).

Marquise Lee is the best receiver on that team and he was number 3 a year ago. At this time of the season, at least, most teams have more receiver picks and undrafted guys than they know what to do with
It was a bad joke to try to get a rise out of some people. Even a 7th for Rashad Greene would make me happy. I'm just happy my team isnt complete rear end anymore. Marquise Lee is complete rear end, though and I wish it was him that they let walk instead of Robinson.

Play posted:

I'm only an ACL doctor on the internet but usually it doesn't and when it does it's probably the soft tissue damage that can result when it tears. Oftentimes it actually doesn't hurt at all which is how you have guys that don't realize it's torn until their knee starts buckling sideways (or they hear a loud POP and know that way). But with a catastrophic one like Teddy's the whole knee collapses and so there would be extensive damage to muscle and skin tissue that would hurt like all hell
Tom Brady walked off the field when his knee got shredded by whats-his-name the Patriot Slayer. A Giants TE tore his ACL in one of their Super Bowls vs the Patriots and didnt realize...they showed him trying to walk it off and then run and make a cut. When he made the cut he collapsed and gave up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

His name is Bernard Pollard and he should be knighted

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

His name is Bernard Pollard and he should be knighted

Or forced to wander the country performing in dance competitions, one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It was a bad joke to try to get a rise out of some people.

Don't you dare hate on some people, those are MY people you jerk

Tom Brady walked off the field when his knee got shredded by whats-his-name the Patriot Slayer. A Giants TE tore his ACL in one of their Super Bowls vs the Patriots and didnt realize...they showed him trying to walk it off and then run and make a cut. When he made the cut he collapsed and gave up.

I still get a little nauseous thinking about Wentz's injury and watching his knee pitch from side to side so much he had trouble keeping his balance

• Locked thread