Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

if this is like the time the czechs tried to get the rest of us to call it czechia, it won't stick

I'd be surprised if a majority of the population knows that Mormons and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are the same thing.

https://i.imgur.com/T1j4CWC.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

if this is like the time the czechs tried to get the rest of us to call it czechia, it won't stick

It's more like asking us to say "The Country of Czechia of Current Day Czechs"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm guessing it's because the term 'Mormon' makes them sound like another religion to outsiders.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
this has been the weirdest subplot to the whole clerical sex abuse scandal warning lifesitenews link

I've been talking for a long time about how the USCCB should divest themselves from finances and politics and now suddenly the ultraconservative weirdos are ready to guillotine them all.

well it's 2018 after all

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm guessing it's because the term 'Mormon' makes them sound like another religion to outsiders.

There's a whole article you could read that talks about the reasoning...

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

This has been the case for awhile now. Every so often the LDS Church tries to insist on it, it never really sticks. I remember getting Sunday School lectures as a kid about how I should correct friends who used the term "Mormon". (I never did)

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

an overdue owl posted:

I put some more close ups here: https://imgur.com/a/v9UKX8E

Ah right, they do look like clovers! I found it at a car boot sale in the North West of England so I'm sure it can't be genuinely old itself but a replica of an actual item that does exist somewhere maybe? Or someone just trying to evoke that general look? I can't really tell what material it's made of, some kind of metal that's all, there's blue felt (I think) on the back.

It's a cool thing. Based on general feel, I would also guess late Victorian (probably for an Anglo Catholic market). I like the way that the setting of the stones is made to look like a medieval bezel setting. That's some nice attention to detail.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I am trying to look for a parody of the "atheist professor gets owned by Albert Einstein" trope, but it was about a Catholic professor getting owned by an Orthodox student. Anyone remember this one?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

on hold with sex line posted:

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I am trying to look for a parody of the "atheist professor gets owned by Albert Einstein" trope, but it was about a Catholic professor getting owned by an Orthodox student. Anyone remember this one?

This one?

quote:

A Venetian Catholic Holy Roman elector and violent usurper was teaching a class on Pope Innocent III, known backstabber "patriarch". "Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship the Pope and accept that he was the true head of the only one church of Jesus Christ that the world has ever known, even greater than Constantine the Great!

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-Orthodox Byzantine Patriarch who had peacefully converted 1500 Muslims on Aleppo and understood the necessity of strong diplomatic relations and fully supported all political decision made by the Ecumenical Patriarch stood up and held up a fresh Kaine Diatheke.

"Who made this Testament, pinhead?”

The treacherous Venetian smirked quite Catholicly and smugly replied, “The Italian scribes under vassalage of His Holiness, you stupid heretic."

"Wrong. It’s been 1,000 years since Saint Paul wrote it in Greek in the holy city of Constantinople. If the Bible was, as you say, written by the Jews then why haven't you taken Jerusalem from the Muslims yet and made it your capital?"

The Venetian backstabber was visibly shaken, and dropped his Rosary and copy of the Roman Missal. He stormed out of the room crying those Italian crocodile tears. The same tears Italians cry for the “disgraced Crusaders" (who today live in such luxury that most bath daily) when they jealously try to claw justly earned land from the deserving Byzantines. There is no doubt that at this point our Elector, Urban III, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and refused the concillia after the seventh. He wished so much that he had the Imperial Sword to kill himself from embarrassment, but he himself had pawned it off to the savage Germans!

The students applauded and all followed Orthodoxy that day and accepted the Patriarch of Constantinople as Christ's Representative on Earth. A double-headed eagle named Palaiologos flew into the room and perched atop the Byzantine Shield and shed a tear on the chalk. The Byzantine Rite was sung in its liturgucal entirety several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a church tithe across the country to remove those ugly pillars from the Hagia Sophia and damned every Papist who asserted the heretical doctrine of Filioque.

The Emperor lost Jerusalem and died when he was told the news of yet another failed Crusade. He died of the Black Death and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

(I removed some antisemitic bits from the original copypasta because gently caress that)

e: vvv that's wayyy better, thanks vvv

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 22, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
After some digging, I found a different version, with no anti-semitic bits:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Keromaru5 posted:

After some digging, I found a different version, with no anti-semitic bits:

This is amazing and, I assume, 100% true.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
It may not be literally true but it's true in my heart.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

When I was a kid, my mom told me that while Santa Claus wasn't literally true, there was truth in the spirit of Santa Claus and that the fictional character had a metaphorical truth to it. I went away to stew on this, and then came back to her: "I don't care what you say, Santa Claus is real!"

Years later, I read about the life of Saint Nicholas and felt 100% vindicated.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

It's a cool thing. Based on general feel, I would also guess late Victorian (probably for an Anglo Catholic market). I like the way that the setting of the stones is made to look like a medieval bezel setting. That's some nice attention to detail.
The only place it truly falls down, imo, is the coloring on the corpus and the holy name: it's supposed to be that cool old enamel but to me it looks like paint

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

OOGA BOOGA

I just went to a heathen/metal festival in Norway, where I participated in creepy rituals and also saw introductions to a bunch of ph.ds/projects about the merging of chieftainry and the cult of Odin, heathen esotericism, reenactment hiking and viking food :toot:

ask me anything

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 23, 2018

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Sorry thread. I worship this dude now.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

The Phlegmatist posted:

Anyway, it doesn't really add up. The corpus used is Christ the King or Christ the High Priest, which was insanely popular throughout continental Europe from about the late 10th cen. to the Reformation. The trifleur cross was also very popular throughout the Gothic period.

But IHS XPS is found on very few crucifixes during that period, since everyone in the west switched to INRI. IHS XPS is found on some older crucifixes but they're mostly Anglo-Saxon and old (older than when Christ the King became popular to put on a crucifix in the west.)

And also those little clover stamps kinda look like four-way medals. Which are old but nobody was placing them on crucifixes AFAIK. It's either the greatest art find in the history of the Catholic world or someone's weird high school art project.

This was all very fascinating, thank you! (Actually does anyone have any recommendations for books that talk about the history of religious iconography like this? Maybe just for one period or another since it's probably a massive topic).

And thanks to everyone else as well, the late Victorian idea makes a lot of sense.

HEY GUNS posted:

The only place it truly falls down, imo, is the coloring on the corpus and the holy name: it's supposed to be that cool old enamel but to me it looks like paint

I'm pretty sure it is paint, yes. Also I'm sure it's just from how it's been handled but the pattern of the way the gold colour has rubbed off makes it seem like people were rubbing Christ's belly for good luck like a Buddha figure, ha.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tias posted:

OOGA BOOGA

How did you get a photo of me?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Tias posted:

OOGA BOOGA

I just went to a heathen/metal festival in Norway, where I participated in creepy rituals and also saw introductions to a bunch of ph.ds/projects about the merging of chieftainry and the cult of Odin, heathen esotericism, reenactment hiking and viking food :toot:

ask me anything

What is reenactment hiking?
How are they dealing with racism?
Does pickled herring count as Viking food?
Is that a penis?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
tell me about chieftainry and the cult of odin

is it anything like what some people on the internet have called anarcho-monarchism

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i've got this hunger for orthodox poo poo right now and r/orthodoxchristianity is too small and too slow moving. are there any other forums out there that don't suck, or should i just find one of you at random and text about theology all day

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

i've got this hunger for orthodox poo poo right now and r/orthodoxchristianity is too small and too slow moving. are there any other forums out there that don't suck, or should i just find one of you at random and text about theology all day

:justpost: What else is this thread for?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

HEY GUNS posted:

I used to post at Ship of Fools, though I kind of developed a similar "too small and too slow moving" issue. But you might give them a shot.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Keromaru5 posted:

I used to post at Ship of Fools, though I kind of developed a similar "too small and too slow moving" issue. But you might give them a shot.

Ship of Fools is great, though I never got into the forums.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 19, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

joat mon posted:

What is reenactment hiking?
How are they dealing with racism?
Does pickled herring count as Viking food?
Is that a penis?

The "King of the Hill" reenactment hiking project is taking a hike through Norway using only viking age gear, basically. The group is Hands on History, which is basically a "historical action and resource bank", meaning that they try out a lot of crafting and do a lot of research into iron age living. Here's a video they made about the hiking project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5AlCoanv3E, and here's an entire page about the project.

They do a lot of other stuff, among other things a hilarious piss take on MTVs cribs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBTFwLRWIo. In general, their youtube and homepage are both amazing, and holds all you could ever want to know about viking reenactment.

I'd love to do the hike one day, but they do a pretty thorough vetting, primarily about psychological fortitude and social skills, because you're going to be spending a lot of time with the others and if you break down there's no way to get you out of there. One of the things I thought was pretty neat in the presentation was their observation that you "didn't worry about getting your feet wet, because they were wet all the time". Their approach was simply hiking all day and then drying their foot wraps and feet by a fire in the night.

I don't know exactly who "they" you refer to are, but the festival is extremely cool about inclusion. I saw guards detain and trash talk a guy wearing a schwarze sonne t-shirt, which I thought was pretty cool. I have been told the festival has a no-tolerance policy for fascist symbols, but I don't know if it's true. Lot of foreigners attending, also people of colour. Many of the festival organizers are involved with Norwegian pagan federation Bifrost, which is by far the most anti-fascist of the nordic countries pagan movements.

While pickling fish is extremely popular in Scandinavia nowadays, archeological evidence cannot conclude we did it back then. The method is known from medieval sources, but not as early as 1100 which precludes most of the viking age.

If you're dealing with a fertility deity and can't tell, it always possesses 1d4 penises.

HEY GUNS posted:

tell me about chieftainry and the cult of odin

is it anything like what some people on the internet have called anarcho-monarchism

Putting "anarcho-" in front of anything that involves illegitemate hiearchies from a marxist point of view is extremely dumb and said people should jump in a quarry.

No, it's pretty standard stuff from a feudal point of view, what's interesting is that this guy I saw, Josh Rood, wrote a phd detailing how the place-names and finds indicating worship of Odin all are around the burgeoning centres of population and power from which the emerging chieftain class ruled. He also showed how a lot of helmet artifacts had garnet stones without backing around one eye socket, clearly indicating how the chieftain wearing it would have one shining red eye when standing by a fire, indicating that god-questing as Odin was an actual thing :getin:

Essentially, heathen religion isn't a uniform religion, and over time, the god of the dude ruling over other dudes had to be legitimized, so even if the others could worship Thor, Frey, Njord etc. in peace, their gods had to be subservient to the god of the chieftain in charge. If you're into it, he said that the phd is available for free online, so I should be able to find it for you. He's also a practicing heathen, and sings in a quite decent black/death metal band called Nexion if that's your bag.

tl;dr: The chieftains coopted the cult of Odin and changed it from something else into Odin the Allfather, chieftain of all Aesir, because it suited their aims and consolidated the aesir under them.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 23, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

Just post HEGEL

Alternatively open an orthodox tumblr, that seems to be a pretty active scene and delivers many pretty pictures.
i am an old and i'm not sure how that poo poo works, plus what i want is conversations and not pictures

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Putting "anarcho-" in front of anything that involves illegitemate hiearchies from a marxist point of view is extremely dumb and said people should jump in a quarry.

No, it's pretty standard stuff from a feudal point of view, what's interesting is that this guy I saw, Josh Rood, wrote a phd detailing how the place-names and finds indicating worship of Odin all are around the burgeoning centres of population and power from which the emerging chieftain class ruled. He also showed how a lot of helmet artifacts had garnet stones without backing around one eye socket, clearly indicating how the chieftain wearing it would have one shining red eye when standing by a fire, indicating that god-questing as Odin was an actual thing :getin:

Essentially, heathen religion isn't a uniform religion, and over time, the god of the dude ruling over other dudes had to be legitimized, so even if the others could worship Thor, Frey, Njord etc. in peace, their gods had to be subservient to the god of the chieftain in charge. If you're into it, he said that the phd is available for free online, so I should be able to find it for you. He's also a practicing heathen, and sings in a quite decent black/death metal band called Nexion if that's your bag.
the kind of metal i like is very limited, i like stuff like Earth, Sun 0))), and Chelsea Wolfe. A lot of the other stuff is just too high-pitched and fast for my ears

why is a chieftain legitimate and a monarch illegitimate? if you band together and agree to make one of you the monarch, why is that illegitimate?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 23, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

the kind of metal i like is very limited, i like stuff like Earth, Sun 0))), and Chelsea Wolfe. A lot of the other stuff is just too high-pitched and fast for my ears

why is a chieftain legitimate and a monarch illegitimate? if you band together and agree to make one of you the monarch, why is that illegitimate?

Neither are legitimate in an anarchist analysis, that's why I said anarcho-monarchism is an inherently broken word.

The rise of chieftains follows the migration age and is before we had any kings uniting the scandinavian countries.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

A chieftain is the living manifestation of the vox populi, thus the source of legitimacy is just as great as in any democracy.

/tongue in cheek

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

OC.net is basically dead; I’m not even sure their ex-Old Calendarist priest admin keeps up much with it anymore. Monachos doesn’t seem to update anymore either.

I’m sticking with shitposting on Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick’s social media threads for now.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 19, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pidan posted:

Those pictures tho

it's me, posting in my favorite subforum, Your Creed Sucks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's me, posting in my favorite subforum, Your Creed Sucks

i'm a bigger fan of Pretentious Hierarch Icon Zone

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Look I'm all for reenactments but Tias, if you sail a bunch of longships across the sea and raid our shores again I'm going to be a bit cross.

Unless you're coming to abduct women to live in your Scandinavian high-QOL quasi-socialist paradise in which case, what time you comin?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this is an interesting review of Dreher: the benedict option claims to be traditionalist but it isn't very catholic...or orthodox, for that matter. What you believe and whether or not that's different from what other Benedict-ers believe doesn't appear to be an issue for Dreher. How odd--almost as if he's imperfectly covering for some anxieties that aren't religious at all.

https://bellarmineforum.org/2017/04/21/can-benedict-option-save-catholic-preppers/

edit: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I remember Dreher ever talking about Christian beliefs. He just talks about how Christian beliefs are no longer the default in society, which makes him sad,* about how terrible trans people are, about how much the liberals would hate the things he does (which is why he does them, looking over his shoulder to make sure we notice). And he continues his gentle, imperceptible slide toward white supremacy. But I've never heard him describe what he believes and why it's important to him. No saints, no Marian devotions, no prayer beads, no favorite hagiographies, no favorite prayers, no talking about the Liturgy. I don't even recall why he converted in the first place.

All culture war, no culture.

* Which beliefs in particular? Even this is highly suspect, because as the review makes repeatedly clear, Dreher is trying for a non-denominational approach here. And if society is only viable if you clump into planned communities of the like-minded, that is already not going to work because Catholics, Orthodox, and all the various kinds of Protestant believe very different things. Once again, the only thing that's important to him here is the conservativism. He doesn't seem to actually be religious.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 24, 2018

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

When I was a kid, my mom told me that while Santa Claus wasn't literally true, there was truth in the spirit of Santa Claus and that the fictional character had a metaphorical truth to it. I went away to stew on this, and then came back to her: "I don't care what you say, Santa Claus is real!"

Years later, I read about the life of Saint Nicholas and felt 100% vindicated.

okay kropotkin

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

If you don't believe me, you're welcome to ask my mom.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

If you don't believe me, you're welcome to ask my mom.

Thank you, I will. I'm sure she's a lovely woman and we wil have a nice time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

Thank you, I will. I'm sure she's a lovely woman and we wil have a nice time.

“Uh... hello.... I’m from the internet...”